closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 151 to 194 of 194

Thread: PRS-25 Everest with Acrylic Crystal

  1. #151
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Oldham
    Posts
    53
    Wow, I love the Everest with the acrylic, looks amazing, great work


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  2. #152
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Oldham
    Posts
    53
    IMG_4213.JPG This was Sir Edmund Hillaryís ĎEverestí watch I believe


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  3. #153
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    1,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowsfoot View Post
    Wow, I love the Everest with the acrylic, looks amazing, great work


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Cheers!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #154
    Great looking mod. I was buying a replacement crystal for my prs29a so I added in a M Sternkreuz 31.4 (M314). Has anybody fitted one like this yet? (No ring). I'll keep it on the back burner and keep an eye on this thread to see how this mod develops. I do quite like having the sapphire but acrylic does look cool.

  5. #155
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    1,117
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyGood View Post
    Great looking mod. I was buying a replacement crystal for my prs29a so I added in a M Sternkreuz 31.4 (M314). Has anybody fitted one like this yet? (No ring). I'll keep it on the back burner and keep an eye on this thread to see how this mod develops. I do quite like having the sapphire but acrylic does look cool.
    Do you have the MK1 PRS-29a?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #156
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Do you have the MK1 PRS-29a?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes

  7. #157
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    1,117
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyGood View Post
    Yes
    Sorry I misread your previous post...!

    I think someone had fixed a crystal without the tension ring, Iíll have a look now if I can find the post.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #158
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    1,117
    I think it might have been KevG who had one fitted without the tension ring.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #159
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    117
    Hi Gent,
    From the modding perspective whats the difference from with or without a tension ring?

    Does the 'without' pose a greater risk of the crystal popping out? Or does it use the existing tension ring?

    Could you enlighten please as I think this will be a questions asked again perhaps.

    Pardon my ignorance on the mechanics.

    Thanks.



    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    I think it might have been KevG who had one fitted without the tension ring.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #160
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    1,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxsash View Post
    Hi Gent,
    From the modding perspective whats the difference from with or without a tension ring?

    Does the 'without' pose a greater risk of the crystal popping out? Or does it use the existing tension ring?

    Could you enlighten please as I think this will be a questions asked again perhaps.

    Pardon my ignorance on the mechanics.

    Thanks.
    Good questions.

    The tension ring is a steel ring that sits inside of the crystal edge. Sometimes these are referred to as armoured crystals.

    The principal thinking is that this has the same coefficient of thermal and pressure expansion as the steel case of the watch. So, the case itself expands slightly under pressure and the tension ring does the same, so the crystal is kept secure.

    The acrylic crystals without a tension ring are actually bigger in diameter than the opening are compressed in order to install. In theory that stops it from popping out in every day use, but itís when the watch experiences a change in pressure where it might be an issue (underwater, on a flight etc...)

    Hope that makes sense?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #161
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    19,706
    Generally, a tension ring crystal is required to give water resistance, there are exceptions but for an acrylic crystal to have the resilience to seal it needs to be thick, not a design I favour but it does work. However, in these situations the crystal is bespoke and that creates problems if it needs replacing.

    In theory, the comments regarding expansion are correct, but over the temperature ranges that a watch experiences these effects are minuscule.

    Tension ring crystals are available in increments of 0.1mm, they fit tightly and they should require a press to fit, if they fit with thumb pressure theyíre too slack.

    Iím not a fan of modifications but I think the acrylic crystal mod to the PRS 25 is a nice one that improves the watch.

  12. #162
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    1,117
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Generally, a tension ring crystal is required to give water resistance, there are exceptions but for an acrylic crystal to have the resilience to seal it needs to be thick, not a design I favour but it does work. However, in these situations the crystal is bespoke and that creates problems if it needs replacing.

    In theory, the comments regarding expansion are correct, but over the temperature ranges that a watch experiences these effects are minuscule.

    Tension ring crystals are available in increments of 0.1mm, they fit tightly and they should require a press to fit, if they fit with thumb pressure theyíre too slack.

    Iím not a fan of modifications but I think the acrylic crystal mod to the PRS 25 is a nice one that improves the watch.
    Great info - thanks for sharing!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #163
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    117
    Thanks both for that information.

    So without a tension ring applied the potential water resistance may be limited?

    I should look back through the thread... whats the visual difference in terms of the renault? If i remember correctly the height of the crystals with and without a tension ring were the same.

    I think that the tension ring was brush finished too?

    Thanks gain really helpful information.

  14. #164
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    1,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxsash View Post
    Thanks both for that information.

    So without a tension ring applied the potential water resistance may be limited?

    I should look back through the thread... whats the visual difference in terms of the renault? If i remember correctly the height of the crystals with and without a tension ring were the same.

    I think that the tension ring was brush finished too?

    Thanks gain really helpful information.
    Well in theory the water resistance is better with a tension ring fitted. My tank only goes up to 6bar and it was was fine. As I recall the member who had the acrylic crystal fitted without the tension ring said the watchmaker that did the modification said it also passed a pressure test.

    The rehaut will be the same, but you see the tension ring in mine at extreme angles. As you rightly say, I brush finished it to get it to match.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #165
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    1,117
    And for those interested - this is now over in the sales section!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #166
    Apprentice KevG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Malvern, UK
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Well in theory the water resistance is better with a tension ring fitted. My tank only goes up to 6bar and it was was fine. As I recall the member who had the acrylic crystal fitted without the tension ring said the watchmaker that did the modification said it also passed a pressure test.

    The rehaut will be the same, but you see the tension ring in mine at extreme angles. As you rightly say, I brush finished it to get it to match.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, tested to 6bar without the tension ring

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using TZ-UK mobile app

  17. #167
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    And for those interested - this is now over in the sales section!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Iím excited to see your gilt with the acrylic crystal 😍 couldnít do it myself but Iím sure itís going to look class. How long does the process take you to switch the crystal? And congrats on managing to get one 👌

  18. #168
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    1,117
    Quote Originally Posted by theflyingfisherman View Post
    Iím excited to see your gilt with the acrylic crystal ūüėć couldnít do it myself but Iím sure itís going to look class. How long does the process take you to switch the crystal? And congrats on managing to get one ūüĎĆ
    Cheers.

    Itís a fairly straightforward swap, hardest part was adapting the tension ring if Iím honest (and playing around with different crystal sizes to get the right fit!).

    Iím potentially going for a gentle domed sapphire crystal swap on the gilt instead of the acrylic. Not sure just yet which way Iíll go. Enjoying this amazing dial though. Lovely lovely watch.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #169
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Cheers.

    Itís a fairly straightforward swap, hardest part was adapting the tension ring if Iím honest (and playing around with different crystal sizes to get the right fit!).

    Iím potentially going for a gentle domed sapphire crystal swap on the gilt instead of the acrylic. Not sure just yet which way Iíll go. Enjoying this amazing dial though. Lovely lovely watch.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wouldnít trust myself haha. But Iím sure the buyer of your acrylic mod will appreciate that the works been done.

    Yes Iím sure whichever way you go itís gonna look great. As it comes is of course also gorgeous 😄

  20. #170
    Finally, got my Everest back from the crystal swap job, pressure tested and regulated, all good to go!! Loving it all over again.

    Thanks, Gent for the tips on the mod.

    Enjoy the pics below...

    Before swap with stock sapphire crystal...



    After swap with the Sternkreuz ATCR 31.4 armoured (tension ring) acrylic crystal....


    View from an angle....



    The warmth of the acrylic and the nice distortions at an angle is really great.

    The crystal really makes the watch


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  21. #171
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    1,117
    Quote Originally Posted by trekkiefreakie View Post
    Finally, got my Everest back from the crystal swap job, pressure tested and regulated, all good to go!! Loving it all over again.

    Thanks, Gent for the tips on the mod.

    Enjoy the pics below...

    Before swap with stock sapphire crystal...



    After swap with the Sternkreuz ATCR 31.4 armoured (tension ring) acrylic crystal....


    View from an angle....



    The warmth of the acrylic and the nice distortions at an angle is really great.

    The crystal really makes the watch


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fantastic!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  22. #172
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Denmark, Odense
    Posts
    62

    Quote Originally Posted by trekkiefreakie View Post
    Finally, got my Everest back from the crystal swap job, pressure tested and regulated, all good to go!! Loving it all over again.

    Thanks, Gent for the tips on the mod.

    Enjoy the pics below...

    Before swap with stock sapphire crystal...



    After swap with the Sternkreuz ATCR 31.4 armoured (tension ring) acrylic crystal....


    View from an angle....



    The warmth of the acrylic and the nice distortions at an angle is really great.

    The crystal really makes the watch


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Exactly - The crystal really makes the watch :-)

  23. #173
    Craftsman redhed18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by Mads Gorm View Post
    Exactly - The crystal really makes the watch :-)
    I love Japanese eBay sellers that refer to it as the ďwindowĒ... :-)

  24. #174
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Denmark, Odense
    Posts
    62

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by redhed18 View Post
    I love Japanese eBay sellers that refer to it as the ďwindowĒ... :-)
    One ought to refer to curved Hi-dome sapphire as a faux acrylic window.

  25. #175
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    15
    A few questions on this acrylic mod:
    1) How much thicker is the watch with the domed acrylic?
    2) Is the seal compromised? Is it still 100 m WR?

  26. #176
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    1,117
    Quote Originally Posted by madsdrastrup View Post
    A few questions on this acrylic mod:
    1) How much thicker is the watch with the domed acrylic?
    2) Is the seal compromised? Is it still 100 m WR?
    Iím pretty sure I posted the thickness somewhere in this thread...? Iíll see if it was in another one if not.

    I could only test the case to 6atm, which I think I posted further up?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  27. #177
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    1,117

    PRS-25 Everest with Acrylic Crystal

    Yes, post #110 shows thickness...

    13.4mm vs 11.3mm on the original.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  28. #178
    Administrator swanbourne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    47,133
    I suggest caution if you're considering converting. My manufacturer is holding 350 Everest cases for me and I asked him if he could case an acrylic crystal version for me to play with and he said is wasn't possible because the case has to be manufactured differently for acrylic.

    Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

  29. #179
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Devils Den, CA
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I suggest caution if you're considering converting. My manufacturer is holding 350 Everest cases for me and I asked him if he could case an acrylic crystal version for me to play with and he said is wasn't possible because the case has to be manufactured differently for acrylic.

    Eddie
    Option maybe coming down the road?? :)

  30. #180
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Posts
    11
    I am a very happy owner of 3 Everest 36's in various guises. I really enjoy them, and am 'content' with the sapphire. Fast forward to this month, and the realising of my desire to get the PRS29A. I was also torn as to whether to add the 29AM to the order and did. I was building myself up to 'love' the A and 'like' the AM, but when I received them, its the other way around. I have to admit to being disappointed with the sapphire on the 29A, and have taken a pic of the 25 and 29A side by side clearly showing the more pronounced milky ring on the 29A. I don't think I can be content with it and now want to look into changing its crystal for acrylic (I dont want fixed bars). I have tried to find some posts discussing whether any member has attempted it on a sapphire 29, and also whether the PRS-25 and 29A/AM crystals are the same diameter. I also believe that sapphire can be done really well, and almost look as good as acrylic. Take the Railmaster 57 trilogy LE, and you'll see what I mean. I also own a Max Bill 2018 LE which is fitted with sapphire that (to my eyes) looks identical to acrylic (I have included pics in this post). If it was possible to use a similar crystal shape on the Smiths models, it would be a true game changer (and for me anyway), negate any desire to go acrylic.P1030901.JPGP11030902.JPG
    Last edited by mkildare; 29th March 2021 at 01:37.

  31. #181
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Posts
    11
    Another pic of the Max Bill sapphire. (apologies, but I am really struggling to add images to my posts properly)P1030904.JPG

  32. #182
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    1,117
    Quote Originally Posted by mkildare View Post
    I am a very happy owner of 3 Everest 36's in various guises. I really enjoy them, and am 'content' with the sapphire. Fast forward to this month, and the realising of my desire to get the PRS29A. I was also torn as to whether to add the 29AM to the order and did. I was building myself up to 'love' the A and 'like' the AM, but when I received them, its the other way around. I have to admit to being disappointed with the sapphire on the 29A, and have taken a pic of the 25 and 29A side by side clearly showing the more pronounced milky ring on the 29A. I don't think I can be content with it and now want to look into changing its crystal for acrylic (I dont want fixed bars). I have tried to find some posts discussing whether any member has attempted it on a sapphire 29, and also whether the PRS-25 and 29A/AM crystals are the same diameter. I also believe that sapphire can be done really well, and almost look as good as acrylic. Take the Railmaster 57 trilogy LE, and you'll see what I mean. I also own a Max Bill 2018 LE which is fitted with sapphire that (to my eyes) looks identical to acrylic (I have included pics in this post). If it was possible to use a similar crystal shape on the Smiths models, it would be a true game changer (and for me anyway), negate any desire to go acrylic.P1030901.JPGP11030902.JPG
    Iím sure I saw a post where someone had changed the crystal on a sapphire PRS-29A to sapphire, although I canít find it right now. Will keep looking.

    I 100% agree that a truly domed sapphire crystal in the style of the ones you are showing would be amazing on the Everest.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  33. #183
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Iím sure I saw a post where someone had changed the crystal on a sapphire PRS-29A to sapphire, although I canít find it right now. Will keep looking.

    I 100% agree that a truly domed sapphire crystal in the style of the ones you are showing would be amazing on the Everest.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I suppose itís me.


  34. #184
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Posts
    11
    Wow - that looks so much better! It's great to see the outer 'track' clean and unobscured.

  35. #185
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Devils Den, CA
    Posts
    37
    Looks great, what is total hight now?

    Quote Originally Posted by trekkiefreakie View Post
    Finally, got my Everest back from the crystal swap job, pressure tested and regulated, all good to go!! Loving it all over again.

    Thanks, Gent for the tips on the mod.

    Enjoy the pics below...

    Before swap with stock sapphire crystal...



    After swap with the Sternkreuz ATCR 31.4 armoured (tension ring) acrylic crystal....


    View from an angle....



    The warmth of the acrylic and the nice distortions at an angle is really great.

    The crystal really makes the watch


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  36. #186
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    1,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamaw View Post
    I suppose itís me.

    Looks really good, opens the dial up beautifully...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  37. #187
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Yes, post #110 shows thickness...

    13.4mm vs 11.3mm on the original.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I donít have callipers but I used same crystal as Gent so it should be 13.4mm after swap.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  38. #188
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Posts
    11
    @Mamaw. I would be grateful if you could share the details of the acrylic crystal. I REALLY want to make the swap!

  39. #189
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by mkildare View Post
    @Mamaw. I would be grateful if you could share the details of the acrylic crystal. I REALLY want to make the swap!
    I will check when I go back home and get back to you.

  40. #190
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Posts
    11
    Thank you - its much appreciated.

  41. #191
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    41
    Here it is for the PRS-29A. 32,4 mm. !!!!! NOT FOR THE EVEREST !!!!!
    Keep in mind that I am not a professional, this is what I used but I canít garantie the water resistance.

    Last edited by Mamaw; 30th March 2021 at 18:55.

  42. #192
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Posts
    11
    Thank you for that! If I have the nerve to attempt the swap, I promise to post a pic or 2 of the result

  43. #193
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    SW, UK
    Posts
    9
    Really like this, a lot.

    Is the current modelís ring caused by a step / angle change in the crystal, as opposed to a dome?

  44. #194
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Denmark, Odense
    Posts
    62

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Notpob View Post
    Really like this, a lot.

    Is the current model’s ring caused by a step / angle change in the crystal, as opposed to a dome?
    If your talking about the "milky ring" - then just Google milky ring sapphire - and you will get a ton of information. But the short answer is yes - the sapphire with a dome - is a faux acrylic. The sapphire Crystal I with is stepped rather than curved, and is is thicker at the step - so you see the thinkness. https://youtu.be/R21hgz-A7JY

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information