closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Smiths PRS-29A repair advice

Smiths PRS-29A repair advice

Hi, I have an early ETA 2801 Smiths PRS-29A from 2011 that has just developed a problem. When winding the mechanism sort of clicks over after maybe 12 turns instead of coming to a stop. I suppose this is some sort of mainspring break. It still runs and keeps time okay but obviously needs attention. Normal winding from unwound would be about 30 turns for me. I wonder if the forum members have any repair folk recommendations as I am very fond of the watch since it has been my everyday wearer for years. I am in Sheffield. Many thanks.
    Last edited by targetbow; 16th February 2022 at 19:10.

Quote Originally Posted by targetbow View Post
    Hi, I have an early ETA 2801 Smiths PRS-29A from 2011 that has just developed a problem. When winding the mechanism sort of clicks over after maybe 12 turns instead of coming to a stop. I suppose this is some sort of mainspring break. It still runs and keeps time okay but obviously needs attention. Normal winding from unwound would be about 30 turns for me. I wonder if the forum members have any repair folk recommendations as I am vey fond of the watch since it has been my everyday wearer for years. I am in Sheffield. Many thanks.
    This fella, ''walkerwek1958'' is very helpful and only lives in Wakefield, he does get busy but a PM to him might prove to be useful.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    This fella, ''walkerwek1958'' is very helpful and only lives in Wakefield, he does get busy but a PM to him might prove to be useful.
    Many thanks, will get in touch

Does it definitely not have overwinding protection that some watches do, i.e. if you keep winding, it slips, intentionally?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Does it definitely not have overwinding protection that some watches do, i.e. if you keep winding, it slips, intentionally?
    No, it is supposed to stop.

Grand Master
    Should be straightforward to fix, there are a few possible causes so there’s no point speculating.

If the OP wants me to fix it he can drop me a PM and we’ll take it from there.