closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lemania 5100 powered Orfina stopped

Craftsman

Lemania 5100 powered Orfina stopped

Went to wind my old Porsche Design Orfina chrono the other day and whilst it felt and sounded like it wound ok, it refused to start.

I’ve given it a few movements to see if the auto wind would bring it to life, but nothing.

The watch is powered by a Lemania 5100 chrono. Does anyone here know what might have happened to it and if it’s likely to be an easy fix? Is there anything else I can try to revive it myself?

Some years back I sent it off to Switzerland to be refurbished by SCW Schifferle & Schifferle, but they don’t seem to be answering emails, and to be honest I’d rather not spend a fortune sending it off if it can be avoided. Can anyone here recommend someone more local with the right skills for this movement who won’t charge an arm and a leg to look at it please.

I can highly recommend Olli (O.N.Atelier - http://onatelier.co.uk/), Duncan (https://thewatchbloke.co.uk/) and Rich Askham (http://thewatchspotblog.com/), the only people on this forum I'd trust to service a watch.
    "A man of little significance"

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    the only people on this forum I'd trust to service a watch.
    How can you imply that a repairer can’t be trusted if you’ve never dealt with them, makes no sense, but you’ve earned a reputation for casting aspersions recently so maybe I shouldn’t be surprised. Absolutely no need for this comment, it does you no credit. Choosing not to deal with someone because you don’t like them is one thing, but implying they’re not to be trusted is something else and I think you’ve chosen your words badly.

In answer to the OPs question, the Lemania 5100 can be problematic and parts availability is now becoming difficult. I’ve worked on a couple and they turned out fine, but I avoid them thesedays, I stick to things I can get parts for and stuff I enjoy working on. The Lemania uses a perspex plate to support the calendar works and its susceptible to cracking, sourcing a replacement is costly and difficult, I paid around £160 for one in 2015. However, if the day/ date works OK yours should be fine, but sometimes they develop cracks which can propagate when force is applied during dismantling, they have to be handled carefully. A crazy design in my opinion, but they have their fans.

If the watch hasn’t suffered any trauma or water ingress its likely that it’ll be fine after a stripdown, clean and re- oil. Watches stop due to poor lubrication, dirt, or foreign bodies in the wrong place.

Craftsman
    Thank you

The day/date mech works, you can set time ok too. Just refuses to tick.

To clarify - I've only ever dealt with Olli, Duncan and Rich so can safely say they are the only one's I'd trust. I can't recommend or say I would trust anyone else because I've never used anyone else. It's my opinion, the OP doesn't have to believe me. Other people are allowed to put forward their own preferences or in walkerwek1958's case, helpful information on what the issue could be - perhaps he can fix it for the OP.
    Last edited by Foxy100; 16th November 2020 at 09:15.
    "A man of little significance"

Could be lots of things but my money is on a mainspring failure.
    We could take a look if required.
    ( Free estimate )
    Best,
    James

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Olli has just returned a Lemania 5100 movement watch to me after servicing it and it is running like a dream. It is averaging +2spd to +6spd across all positions.

He also explained in great detail some of the work he did on my particular watch, with pictures, and gave me tips on looking after this movement going forward. Like all movements it has it’s quirks.

I’m sure others could fix your watch, but I can vouch for Olli’s expertise with this movement.

Craftsman
    Great forum as always. Have had some really helpful replies and PM's and now have the watch packed up and off to a respected repairer who has lots of 5100 experience.

Thanks all