closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Places to live by the coast

I live right on the Bristol Channel in a town called Portishead, the town has everything you need in regards to shops, dining, pubs, boating etc.

Also great walks from National Trust coastal paths to woodland walks all within a few hundred yards of my house which I take advantage of every day with my dog, with the strong tides and climatic weather the scenery is changing all the time..

Master
    Nice places you mentioned there, been many times whilst touring on the motorcycle, but will have to stick with sunny Cleveleys for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Somewhere between Plockton and Ullapool North West Scotland, Badachro is currently favourite.

38ft LOA yacht, diving gear and compressor for the Western isles.
    Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    Fylde coast is good. North shore of Blackpool has some nice places. Scotland of course and Nothumberland is beautiful
    Yes agree, ive lived in Cleveleys just north of Blackpool for the past 17yrs and love it here, also love the West Coast of Scotland too, never been to Northumberland but heard it's nice also.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Matt68; 17th November 2020 at 07:16.

Master
    Indeed!

Add that to the running costs of your house and second home and you need a very good pension/income just to maintain them, let alone live. Hilarious really.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Having a chuckle with people thinking a caravan is cheap.
    Sold my static in Pembrokeshire in January (just in time with the lockdowns!). 30k initial outlay is of course do-able for many with a reasonable income.
    But add the extras and year on year it gets pretty expensive:
    In my case 3.6k site fees, £400 insurance, 1k utility bill all per annum. Add fuel costs, we were pretty close living in South Wales, but it was still four gallons return a weekend (double that for many of the cars you see in the what do you drive thread), so easily £100 a month if you go regularly, and the caravan is dead money if you dont.
    Add the fact that the nicer sites will stipulate you change the caravan at typically twelve year intervals, at this point it has become worth about a grand, and that's only if you part exchange for another, otherwise you may be paying to get it trucked away.
    Many other little extras that all add up also. You end up doubling up on walking boots, coats, flip flops, sunglasses etc etc to leave in the van, because depending on the weather forgetting to take one of these sort of items with you can seriously curtail your activities.
    Oh, and you drink and eat out a LOT more than if you stay at home.
    Enjoyable? Immensely, wouldn't have traded a minute. Cheap? Hell no.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    True, but what if that 70 miles lands you in Hull?

I speak from experience.
    It could be worse, if you’d gone the other way you’d be in Liverpool!

Craftsman
    +1 for Cornwall. Not far from where I live. Just love it down that way.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I live right on the Bristol Channel in a town called Portishead, the town has everything you need in regards to shops, dining, pubs, boating etc.
    Is your forum name inspired by your location?

We used to live near Clevedon and on a visit back to the area last year we were amazed at the changes that have taken place to Portishead, what was a sleepy seaside town has developed so much over the last couple of decades.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Places to live by the coast

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    It could be worse, if you’d gone the other way you’d be in Liverpool!
    The 1980s is asking for its comment back.

You would be lucky enough to land in the premier tourist destination of the North.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 17th November 2020 at 10:31.

Having a chuckle with people thinking a caravan is cheap.
    Sold my static in Pembrokeshire in January (just in time with the lockdowns!). 30k initial outlay is of course do-able for many with a reasonable income.
    But add the extras and year on year it gets pretty expensive:
    In my case 3.6k site fees, £400 insurance, 1k utility bill all per annum. Add fuel costs, we were pretty close living in South Wales, but it was still four gallons return a weekend (double that for many of the cars you see in the what do you drive thread), so easily £100 a month if you go regularly, and the caravan is dead money if you dont.
    Add the fact that the nicer sites will stipulate you change the caravan at typically twelve year intervals, at this point it has become worth about a grand, and that's only if you part exchange for another, otherwise you may be paying to get it trucked away.
    Many other little extras that all add up also. You end up doubling up on walking boots, coats, flip flops, sunglasses etc etc to leave in the van, because depending on the weather forgetting to take one of these sort of items with you can seriously curtail your activities.
    Oh, and you drink and eat out a LOT more than if you stay at home.
    Enjoyable? Immensely, wouldn't have traded a minute. Cheap? Hell no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Indeed!

Add that to the running costs of your house and second home and you need a very good pension/income just to maintain them, let alone live. Hilarious really.
    I'd say that depends on how you look at things.

We had a nice lodge on a small park in Devon and I'd say the running costs were about £6k per year (in line with Ruggertech's breakdown). It provided us with many years of weekends away and we'd stay most of the school holidays there, often having friends join us and some of whom we'd let use it* when we weren't there. I'd estimate we holidayed there for about a total of twenty weeks per annum, but for the same amount of time staying elsewhere it would have cost us far, far more than there.

*We never let our property out commercially, but some other lodge owners did and the rental income generated from £400 up to £1000 per week, so you could easily recuperate your annual costs if you wished to.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Is your forum name inspired by your location?

We used to live near Clevedon and on a visit back to the area last year we were amazed at the changes that have taken place to Portishead, what was a sleepy seaside town has developed so much over the last couple of decades.

R
    It was, I looked out the window and all I could see was murkeywaters, even if murky is spelt wrong!!

Yes Portishead has grown a lot especially the marina area, has certainly helped property prices too, ironically our dog is called Ralphy

I'd say that depends on how you look at things.

We had a nice lodge on a small park in Devon and I'd say the running costs were about £6k per year (in line with Ruggertech's breakdown). It provided us with many years of weekends away and we'd stay most of the school holidays there, often having friends join us and some of whom we'd let use it* when we weren't there. I'd estimate we holidayed there for about a total of twenty weeks per annum, but for the same amount of time staying elsewhere it would have cost us far, far more than there.

*We never let our property out commercially, but some other lodge owners did and the rental income generated from £400 up to £1000 per week, so you could easily recuperate your annual costs if you wished to.

R
    Oh I agree, the enjoyment we had for 18 years or so was worth every penny and then some, and I also used to do the cost of that versus other holidays maths also.
    But when we are talking about being retired on a limited income things change. Around my way a 40k pa income is way above average, so a good let's say 20k pa pension off that doesn't really allow for 5 or 6k a year keeping a caravan or lodge.
    I'd be seriously worried letting out a caravan, it would get a hammering, a lodge less so I'd suppose as it's more redectoratable (if that's a word).

Oh I agree, the enjoyment we had for 18 years or so was worth every penny and then some, and I also used to do the cost of that versus other holidays maths also.
    But when we are talking about being retired on a limited income things change. Around my way a 40k pa income is way above average, so a good let's say 20k pa pension off that doesn't really allow for 5 or 6k a year keeping a caravan or lodge.
    I'd be seriously worried letting out a caravan, it would get a hammering, a lodge less so I'd suppose as it's more redectoratable (if that's a word).

I restored a house near Blackwood last year and after spending months there I became very fond of the area..

Back on topic, a friend has a top of the range caravan at an expensive site in Newquay, just with site fees and finance he took out to buy it is around £900 a month, to subsidise this he has to let it out and I think that is part of the agreement, in the last year he has struggled as the finance and site still want their money but with lockdown over major parts of the summer there has been very limited holiday letting.

Certainly not cheap owning holiday homes but at least the memories last which is more important..

Master

R
    Yes indeed. My next door neighbour in Spain rents his villa out for the entire two months of July and August and the income from that (£900pw) pays for all of his running costs. So basically his tenants are buying his villa for him and he intends to use it 20 odd weeks a year when he retires in 3 years time.

Personally I would never rent out my villa as I don't want some other bugger farting in my sofa and mattress.

I restored a house near Blackwood last year and after spending months there I became very fond of the area..

Back on topic, a friend has a top of the range caravan at an expensive site in Newquay, just with site fees and finance he took out to buy it is around £900 a month, to subsidise this he has to let it out and I think that is part of the agreement, in the last year he has struggled as the finance and site still want their money but with lockdown over major parts of the summer there has been very limited holiday letting.

Certainly not cheap owning holiday homes but at least the memories last which is more important..
    Glad you liked it, I'm biased, but for me the Sirhowy Valley is a very green and pleasant place. I no longer live there, but not far away and I visit my folk and other family weekly.
    I took voluntary retirement last summer (2019) and have been living off redundancy money until I turn 55 in January and can claim my pensions. We sold the caravan with the intention of buying a holiday home which we would have had to let out to be able to afford it. We wouldn't have gone under, but our savings would have taken a hammering this year! And who knows what next year holds? So we've bought a vw campervan out of the money we had for selling the caravan instead.

Last edited by Ruggertech; 17th November 2020 at 11:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Yes indeed. My next door neighbour in Spain rents his villa out for the entire two months of July and August and the income from that (£900pw) pays for all of his running costs. So basically his tenants are buying his villa for him and he intends to use it 20 odd weeks a year when he retires in 3 years time.

Personally I would never rent out my villa as I don't want some other bugger farting in my sofa and mattress.

That's an image I'm going to find hard to shake off.

To be fair, the acoustics are such in a lot of warm climate properties, that the sound deadening properties of soft furnishings are very useful.

TBH, I never heard of any of the owners having a bad experience from their renting out, but of course there is that possibility. Like you, we really enjoyed our period of ownership and loved the area, so much so we moved down here a few miles from where the lodge was and still keep in touch with some of ex-neighbours.

https://moorviewsouthdevon.co.uk

R

TBH, I never heard of any of the owners having a bad experience from their renting out, but of course there is that possibility. Like you, we really enjoyed our period of ownership and loved the area, so much so we moved down here a few miles from where the lodge was and still keep in touch with some of ex-neighbours.

https://moorviewsouthdevon.co.uk

R
    I guess the risk of bad renters is the same as providing an air bnb, and although anything can be repaired a caravan seems very 'flimsy' compared to a lodge or a bricks and mortar property.
    Very nice that you were able to move to the same area. Where we had our caravan in Pembrokeshire is still very high on our eventual forever home list, indeed some of the other caravanners and quite a few locals are what we think of as our real friends, so it will make a lot of sense for us when we can.

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    I am happy enough living where I am. In Shetland you are never more that 3 miles from the sea. The weather is rough so I can't recommend it for most people.

I visited the Shetland Isles for the first time last year, we stopped off while on a cruise to the Norwegian Fjords.

Had time for a coach tour, beautiful place. I'll visit again sometime.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Our place directly overlooks this:

[IMG] [/IMG]

There's no real public access, so this incredible beach with amazing geology is virtually private to the park.

There are some truly beautiful places in the UK, and we fell in love with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Our place directly overlooks this:

[IMG] [/IMG]

There's no real public access, so this incredible beach with amazing geology is virtually private to the park.

There are some truly beautiful places in the UK, and we fell in love with this one.
    Respect - looks great, please don't take this the wrong way as it's not intended, somehow my minds eye had you north west of Horsham, no actual idea why, the grey cells can play funny tricks,
    Last edited by number2; 17th November 2020 at 14:38.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Respect - looks great, please don't take this the wrong way as it's not intended, somehow my minds eye had you north west of Horsham, no actual idea why, the grey cells can play funny tricks,

Our main home is rural Central Beds, our holiday home is Somerset.

No idea where Horsham came from, I'm sure it's very nice though...

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    That's an image I'm going to find hard to shake off.

To be fair, the acoustics are such in a lot of warm climate properties, that the sound deadening properties of soft furnishings are very useful.

We have a flat in Spain. The people below us rent their place out: we don't.

They do however lock the master bedroom up when they aren't there, so mattress farting isn't an issue.

Just as an aside, I haven't been at our place in Spain since the start of this year, due to the various lockdowns over there and over here, and the lack of flights. Flybe going bust didn't help there, as the direct flights from Exeter have just about disappeared. Ryanair still do direct flights, and we'd booked to go back out early next year but they've just emailed us to say it's cancelled.

So, we're shelling out a fair bit of wonga for something we can't currently use. My Spanish family in law are taking full advantage though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Our main home is rural Central Beds, our holiday home is Somerset.

No idea where Horsham came from, I'm sure it's very nice though...

Are the pics from a holiday home?
    BTW this isn't an attempt at a holiday stay
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Are the pics from a holiday home?
    BTW this isn't an attempt at a holiday stay

They are photos of the bay and beach our holiday home directly overlooks in North Somerset. I just grabbed them off the net, as I don't have the photos I have taken with me at the moment.

It's a stunning location, and for a Rockhound keen lifelong amateur geologist and paleontologist like me, it's a slice of heaven.

Places to live by the coast

I was born in Bonnie Scotland and left the then warzone that was Glasgow in the 60s and 70s to live and work in Oxfordshire where I eventually met my wife. Once I introduced her to the delights Scotland had to offer, she wanted nothing more than to holiday there each year, which was at least three times annually! When I retired a few years ago after over 40 years down south, a move (back, for me) to Scotland to be by the sea was actually driven as much, if not more by her than me!

We moved to Cellardyke, on the East Neuk of Fife, just over 3 years ago, and we’ are living the proverbial dream! She works 3 or 4 days a week in St Andrew’s which is 10 miles away, and I work weekends as a parachute instructor at nearby Glenrothes, so we get to spend lots of quality time together.

We can see the sea from our window, the 113 miles of the Fife coastal path is almost literally on our doorstep, and the sun rises on the sea horizon and shines on us without hindrance or shadow all day. We enjoy fresh seafood straight off the boats at Pittenweem, we can sail to the nearby Isle of May to see the seals and puffins, we can wander on deserted beaches and swim in crystal clear water, and Anstruther, which is next door to us has all the amenities, other than high street shops, that anyone might need.

We are no more than 2 hours from 5 cities, and 2 hours from the Glenshee ski centre in the Cairngorms. The western isles and the highlands are easily in touch. The east enjoys a much kinder climate than the west, although we do get er, a bit of wind here occasionally, and there are nae midges!

It’s quieter and slower with, we think a better standard of living, without the crowds, the traffic, the jams, the noise, the constant bustle and impersonal atmosphere we left behind. We don’t really miss any of that.

Yeah, we quite like living by the coast...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pinpull; 17th November 2020 at 17:39.

Beautiful Pinpull, and cooked lobster for seven quid!

Master
    I could see myself living anywhere on the coast, if the house was right. Recently I've found myself coveting various properties from an Italianate terraced mansion in Waterloo in Merseyside, late Victorian red-brick houses in Eastbourne and Hastings, and a 1920s Lutyens house near Durdle Door that I first saw on a school geography trip and fell in love with as a teenager. Not that I can afford any of them, sigh...

Master
    Blog Entries
    We holiday in Charmouth on the Jurassic coast. If moving there to live, I’d probably budge along to Lyme Regis.

However, I keep returning to this:
    Swain Street, Watchet
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...-62641417.html

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    We holiday in Charmouth on the Jurassic coast. If moving there to live, I’d probably budge along to Lyme Regis.

Swain Street, Watchet
    I hadn’t even heard of Watchet till your post - but I’m going to have a look...
    That place you linked to does look very good value.

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    Coastal dweller here. Felixstowe...

Do people still say 'Ipswich for the continent, Felixstowe for the incontinent'?

[QUOTE=pinpull;5590732]I was born in Bonnie Scotland and left the then warzone that was Glasgow in the 60s and 70s to live and work in Oxfordshire where I eventually met my wife. Once I introduced her to the delights Scotland had to offer, she wanted nothing more than to holiday there each year, which was at least three times annually! When I retired a few years ago after over 40 years down south, a move (back, for me) to Scotland to be by the sea was actually driven as much, if not more by her than me!

We moved to Cellardyke, on the East Neuk of Fife, just over 3 years ago, and we’ are living the proverbial dream! She works 3 or 4 days a week in St Andrew’s which is 10 miles away, and I work weekends as a parachute instructor at nearby Glenrothes, so we get to spend lots of quality time together.

We can see the sea from our window, the 113 miles of the Fife coastal path is almost literally on our doorstep, and the sun rises on the sea horizon and shines on us without hindrance or shadow all day. We enjoy fresh seafood straight off the boats at Pittenweem, we can sail to the nearby Isle of May to see the seals and puffins, we can wander on deserted beaches and swim in crystal clear water, and Anstruther, which is next door to us has all the amenities, other than high street shops, that anyone might need.

We are no more than 2 hours from 5 cities, and 2 hours from the Glenshee ski centre in the Cairngorms. The western isles and the highlands are easily in touch. The east enjoys a much kinder climate than the west, although we do get er, a bit of wind here occasionally, and there are nae midges!

It’s quieter and slower with, we think a better standard of living, without the crowds, the traffic, the jams, the noise, the constant bustle and impersonal atmosphere we left behind. We don’t really miss any of that.

Yeah, we quite like living by the coast...

Looks fantastic. If it wasn't for the fact that you probably won't see daylight until March, I'd be very temped to join you.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    I hadn’t even heard of Watchet till your post - but I’m going to have a look...
    That place you linked to does look very good value.
    Coastal is a push. It’s an estuary. Nice place though.

Swain Street, Watchet
    Lyme Regis is great, although it gets so busy these days. We went a couple of times in the summer for the day and it was rammed. My parents have a place there but no-one has stayed there for a few years as they took half the furniture out and put it in Topsham where they also never stayed 😂. It’ll be sold next year and my wife was seriously considering whether we should buy it.

Master

Swain Street, Watchet
    It's been on the market for 3 years and it's leasehold. There must be an issue somewhere. I like the garage mind.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Do people still say 'Ipswich for the continent, Felixstowe for the incontinent'?
    Maybe but

I always thought it was “ Harwich for the continent and Frinton for the incontinent”
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    It was, I looked out the window and all I could see was murkeywaters, even if murky is spelt wrong!!

Small world, we overlook the Sugar Loaf beach section of the water, there were a few days during the summer that the water took on a blue tinge!

Amazing sunsets.

Quote Originally Posted by jl smout View Post
    I could see myself living anywhere on the coast, if the house was right. Recently I've found myself coveting various properties from an Italianate terraced mansion in Waterloo in Merseyside...
    Would this property be located on Beach Lawn by any chance?

R

After seagulls, the second biggest gripe about these hidden coastal villages: monthly pagan sacrifices!

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    After seagulls, the second biggest gripe about these hidden coastal villages: monthly pagan sacrifices!
    Really? I always thought that the pagan sacrifices were a major plus point. And, as long as you cook it correctly, I believe that seagull tastes just like chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by genesos View Post
    Small world, we overlook the Sugar Loaf beach section of the water, there were a few days during the summer that the water took on a blue tinge!

Amazing sunsets.
    Wow, I walk my dog most days past the sailing club and along the beach, your right every now and again the water does take a tinge of blue..

At least we get to smell the sea every day and I tell my lad how lucky he is to grow up near the sea, when I was I kid I used to play on railway lines!

Swain Street, Watchet
    Watchet is lovely but not the easiest place to get too, I always fancied coming inland a bit and getting a nice detached property with a bit of land in the middle of Exmoor..

A fair bit further afield of course but this seems like cracking value to live in Phuket. Cheaper than most 1 bed flats in London!

https://www.fazwaz.com/property-sale...phuket-u160591

That one is a few miles from the sea - if you want to be right by the sea and are ok living in an older property (much cheaper) then this one would do the trick

https://www.fazwaz.com/property-sale...-phuket-u18978

Much more expensive of course but you'd not get anything in Poole or Bournemouth next to the sea for anything close to that price and they are offering it at the 'Thai price' of £754k instead of the 'foreigner price' of £1.63m (typically the price you pay in Thailand is dictated by your nationality)
    Last edited by ryanb741; 18th November 2020 at 08:02.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    A fair bit further afield of course but this seems like cracking value to live in Phuket. Cheaper than most 1 bed flats in London!

That one is a few miles from the sea - if you want to be right by the sea and are ok living in an older property (much cheaper) then this one would do the trick

Much more expensive of course but you'd not get anything in Poole or Bournemouth next to the sea for anything close to that price and they are offering it at the 'Thai price' of £754k instead of the 'foreigner price' of £1.63m (typically the price you pay in Thailand is dictated by your nationality)
    Big downside is that farangs can only own 49% of any property in Thailand.

We moved down to Chichester just over a year ago and we're about 7 miles from the sea.
    However according to global warming and rising sea level forecasts, in less than 30 years we'll be in a beach front property!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Big downside is that farangs can only own 49% of any property in Thailand.
    You can set up a company to do this, or (maybe ideally depending on current marital situation of course) just get hitched to a local :)

That last part about getting perpetually shafted for being a foreigner would get on my nerves.

And those prices although 'cheap' cf Londres are still pretty stiff...I bought a 4 bed, 2 bathroom place in Spain, detached house, admittedly a whole 4km from my nearest beach, for only 155, 000 pounds, 3 years ago...add in the cost of the 70 sq m pool, porch and additional 350 sq m's of terracing and it's still only 210,000 pounds...Just for perspective.
    Last edited by Passenger; 18th November 2020 at 13:24.

You can set up a company to do this, or (maybe ideally depending on current marital situation of course) just get hitched to a local :)
    But, I think it’s the reason these paradise-type properties are relatively cheap in Thailand.

If they allowed anyone to buy 100% of the freehold like the do in the U.K. and a lot of other countries, Thailand property would be a lot more expensive.

Good on Thailand for not letting letting their population get priced out by rich farangs. Unlike vast swathes of prime London.

But, I think it’s the reason these paradise-type properties are relatively cheap in Thailand.

If they allowed anyone to buy 100% of the freehold like the do in the U.K. and a lot of other countries, Thailand property would be a lot more expensive.

Good on Thailand for not letting letting their population get priced out by rich farangs. Unlike vast swathes of prime London.
    Bermuda has run a scheme for decades which sets the minimum price a foreigner has to pay for property.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    That last part about getting perpetually shafted for being a foreigner would get on my nerves.

It is because their buying power is higher and they would simply buy up all the properties making it unaffordable for most of the locals. Kind of like what happened in the UK. E.G £650k for a 1 bed apartment in London propped up by Chinese 'investors'. So it is to protect the local market who bizarrely view a house as somewhere to live in and not something to flip, remortgage against or rent out to make a profit.

Foreigners can still buy apartments at whatever the market rate is btw.
    Last edited by ryanb741; 18th November 2020 at 13:49.

Yep agree 100%. Foreigners can still by condominiums at stupid prices of course - I'm amazed how in Thailand developments today a 43 sqm apartment is somehow deemed as 2 bedrooms, and the price tag is the same as a 4 bed detached house with a pool!