closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Apple lightening cable / USBc / USB Adapter Advice

Master

Apple lightening cable / USBc / USB Adapter Advice

Hi,

After converting all my house sockets to ones with built in ‘standard USB’ charging points, like this;

... I I have now bought a phone that uses a lightning cable with a USB-C end; namely an 11 Pro Max, like this;

Can I buy a standard USB/lightning cable (and will it support fast charging) or do I need to use the supplied USB-C/lightening cable with a ‘USB-C-to-standard-USB’ adapter so that I can use my USB wall socket? Ie one of these;

Thanks.

Get a long Anker branded cable from Amazon. Usb to lightning.

I have various ones left round the house. I would imagine it’s the output of the wall socket that will dictate fast charging not the cable.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Get a long Anker branded cable from Amazon. Usb to lightning.

I have various ones left round the house. I would imagine it’s the output of the wall socket that will dictate fast charging not the cable.
    Much obliged. Thanks.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    My local TKmaxx had loads of them on reduced special just before lockdown. I'd assume they'll still have them just after, so that's worth a look - they might even have them online.

I'd be a little careful though - the standard fast charge for a pro will warm up a standard cable to the point that I start to feel a tad uneasy about overnight charging...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Hi,

After converting all my house sockets to ones with built in ‘standard USB’ charging points, like this;

... I I have now bought a phone that uses a lightning cable with a USB-C end; namely an 11 Pro Max, like this;

Can I buy a standard USB/lightning cable (and will it support fast charging) or do I need to use the supplied USB-C/lightening cable with a ‘USB-C-to-standard-USB’ adapter so that I can use my USB wall socket? Ie one of these;

Thanks.
    I have a similar scenario. Standard usb/ socket outlets around the house. The new iPhone MagSafe charger comes with usbC but in order to get the fast charge it requires a 20w charge which the usb outlets+ adapter do not provide. I have now bought a apple 20w usbC charging plug ( the same as provided with my iPad Pro) to work with the mag charger.

The usb wall plug chargers like you have simply don’t have sufficient power for a fast charge. My 11 pro max working off the apple supplied wall charger will go from 0 to 100% in around 2 hours. The usb c just has so much more power that the older usb.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    I'd be a little careful though - the standard fast charge for a pro will warm up a standard cable to the point that I start to feel a tad uneasy about overnight charging...
    As mentioned, it's unlikely that the sockets will be providing more than 500mA (or, if it's a good one, 1A), so fast charging is not going to be an issue.

Instead of getting an adaptor, I'd just buy any reasonable (Anker, Baseus, Amazon Basics) USB-A-to-Lightning lead for use with those sockets. (They also have a reputation for the 5V transformer burning out very quickly - unless they are a premium brand, like MK - so if the phone stops charging in the future I would investigate the socket first).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    As mentioned, it's unlikely that the sockets will be providing more than 500mA (or, if it's a good one, 1A), so fast charging is not going to be an issue.

Instead of getting an adaptor, I'd just buy any reasonable (Anker, Baseus, Amazon Basics) USB-A-to-Lightning lead for use with those sockets. (They also have a reputation for the 5V transformer burning out very quickly - unless they are a premium brand, like MK - so if the phone stops charging in the future I would investigate the socket first).
    That’s got to know... I’m sat right next to one now, and it says MK on it, so that’s good 😌

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    That’s got to know... I’m sat right next to one now, and it says MK on it, so that’s good 😌
    You still won’t get a fast charge though. Also refrain from using long cables as the current drain is higher and this again slows down the charge time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by glyn696486 View Post
    You still won’t get a fast charge though. Also refrain from using long cables as the current drain is higher and this again slows down the charge time.

Great advice. I have a 3 metre one. The one supplied with the iPhone is too short to reach where I usually place it overnight. Need something in between

Craftsman
    I recently picked up an Apple 20w USB-C charger and it will get my iPhone 11 from Flat to 50% in 30mins.

Craftsman
    The USB integrated socket output will be around 2 amps, maybe 2.4 at best. USB-C supports upto 5amps but usually the integrated sockets are 3 amp or that is what I have seen so far. Your socket should show the 5v amp output by the usb outlet. even if you use an adapter on the usb-c cable you will not charge any quicker than just using a usb to lightning cable. The outlet used determines the speed of charging, so to charge quicker use a USB-C charger and cable, not a USB one.

I was going to install some of these sockets, but when I realised their output was so low decided just to stick with normal sockets and chargers- glad I did reading this, especially now we’re a household of iPhone users!

Your MK USB sockets can only supply 5V 2A (10W) so no fast charging but you can buy a cable to use them without an adapter, eg link1 or link2...that firm also has an eBay store and other makes are available.

For fast charging you'll need to supply 9V and 2A as does the 18W charger that should have come with your phone:

Have you thought about a wireless charger (saves all that plugging in and unplugging)? The Apple model supplies 15W but needs to be powered by the same sort of power supply as came with the phone.

Apple lightening cable / USBc / USB Adapter Advice

I’d be wary of the lack of surge protection. I have Belkin protectors for all my key electricals.