closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Aunt Bessie

Aunt Bessie

Eat your heart out. This is how Yorkshire Pudding should be cooked, look and be served - a dinner plate full - not like those prissy 'buns' people like you and that pretend Yorkshireman James Martin tout as such....

And that's only half of one! Always eaten before the main course, full of meaty flavour and NEVER, EVER, served as a prissy accompaniment to a roast!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

They make great ones in Lancashire - with gravy.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    They make better ones in Lancashire - with gravy.
    Fixed

Aunt Bessie

Not YP but in a similar vein my father liked to eat a slab of a suet thing with gravy before his roast dinner. Don’t know what it was called but similar to a very hard, dry dumpling.

Blog Entries
    MyAunt’s YP’s were like that and they were a starter with gravy and if you had room a dessert with jam
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Fixed
    Pha! The only good thing to come out of Lancashire is the M62 into Yorkshire! And even that's in a dreadful state these days They're even trying to compete with Yorkshire Tea now.... Lancashire Tea = dishwater.
    Best Regards - Peter

You write as if you think you're the only ones to cook and eat Yorkshires this way OP. Not so. We don't serve them in such small portions up here mind.
    F.T.F.A.

Would now be a good time to mention the battle of Bosworth Field?
    sit down yarkshir and know your place.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    You write as if you think you're the only ones to cook and eat Yorkshires this way OP. Not so. We don't serve them in such small portions up here mind.
    I'm glad to hear you do things 'proper' up there Bob, pity so many people don't - especially plastic Yorkshire folk like James Martin, but then, he has emigrated 'down south'! Oh, and I did say that was only half of one - I couldn't get a whole one on my plate.
    Last edited by Griswold; 15th November 2020 at 22:35.
    Best Regards - Peter

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Would now be a good time to mention the battle of Bosworth Field?
    sit down yarkshir and know your place.
    Ha, the Lanky's still think they won? T'was a minor skirmish in the greater scheme of things. Little do they know that it's still going on, and we're winning. I spent twenty two and a half years working in Lancashire - taking their money, catching their Salmon and Sea Trout, oh, and shagging their women too
    Best Regards - Peter

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    MyAunt’s YP’s were like that and they were a starter with gravy and if you had room a dessert with jam
    Every Sunday at nanas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Not YP but in a similar vein my father liked to eat a slab of a suet thing with gravy before his roast dinner. Don’t know what it was called but similar to a very hard, dry dumpling.
    That'll be the classic winter warmer of Leek Suet Dumplings. Usually served with stewing steak in gravy. Fond memories of my mother's cooking over the years.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    That'll be the classic winter warmer of Leek Suet Dumplings. Usually served with stewing steak in gravy. Fond memories of my mother's cooking over the years.

Don't think involved leeks, apparently simply called suet pudding - https://www.biggreenegg.co.uk/blog/r...g/suet-pudding.

Grand Master
    big slab with onion gravy before the roast is the only way, and invented so you would fill up and not need so much meat!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Eat your heart out. This is how Yorkshire Pudding should be cooked, look and be served - a dinner plate full - not like those prissy 'buns' people like you and that pretend Yorkshireman James Martin tout as such....

And that's only half of one! Always eaten before the main course, full of meaty flavour and NEVER, EVER, served as a prissy accompaniment to a roast!
    Only because you northerners can't afford decent portions of beef, so you fill up with pudding.

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Looks nice OOK, but would be better with meat and gravy inside the Yorkshire, the veggie things somewhere else

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Looks nice OOK, but would be better with meat and gravy inside the Yorkshire, the veggie things somewhere else

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    True!

Craftsman
    Try them on their own with butter and sugar. Very unhealthy maybe, but yummy

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Any further south and i would have wet feet

Whats that yellow stuff you’ve poured over it? Why is t it a nice,rich brown colour like proper gravy?

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post

When I was a bairn we always had leek pudding when the leeks were in season, with bacon. The leeks came from the garden, along with all other veg, and would likely have been prize winners in the "Leek Show" at the working men's club.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Whats that yellow stuff you’ve poured over it? Why is t it a nice,rich brown colour like proper gravy?
    Home made pork grave mate, as the joint was roast loin of pork. One never serves beef gravy with pork!

As to people putting jam or sugar on YP, it obviously hasn't been cooked in pork or beef fat and most certainly hasn't been cooked with the meat above it dripping onto it to give it that wonderful flavour; for if it had then it would be revolting!

OOK, we have our meat and veg after we've eaten our YP as that is why it tastes best. Would you put meat on rice pudding? Or marmalade on your bacon and eggs? Some things just don't work, and YP with meat and veg is one of them!
    Best Regards - Peter

Home made pork grave mate, as the joint was roast loin of pork. One never serves beef gravy with pork!
    Fair enough although just to be contrary I’ll say it should’ve been a shoulder

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Fair enough although just to be contrary I’ll say it should’ve been a shoulder
    Not as easy to ger a deep layer of crackling on shoulder though as the skin/fat layer is much thiner there. Shoulder does have good flavour though.
    Best Regards - Peter

Master
    why you got curry sauce on a Yorkshire??

Not as easy to ger a deep layer of crackling on shoulder though as the skin/fat layer is much thiner there. Shoulder does have good flavour though.
    Actually I’m going to disagree ....I prefer using a shoulder precisely because I find I get better crackling (and it’s porkier).

(Chips,yorkies,pork.......what’s next?)

Blog Entries
    OOK, we have our meat and veg after we've eaten our YP as that is why it tastes best. ........................
    Ahh, you're a mill owner then................

.......................... Would you put meat on rice pudding? Or marmalade on your bacon and eggs? Some things just don't work, and YP with meat and veg is one of them!
    Had to have a lie down after reading that, came over all queer like. They are definitely no no's.

Two asides:

Pubs serving filled Yorkshire puddings, and Yorkshire pudding "wraps" was a trend that burned brightly and has apparently burned out.

The big Yorkshire pudding schism I'm most acutely aware of seems to be between those who enjoy having one with every kind of Sunday roast, and the purists who maintain a position of with-roast-beef-only.

Master
    I clearly missed the YP wrap trend. Sounds bloody awful. Assuming it was a full roast in a wrap? Surely can only have been a spoons / hungry horse type of eatery to do that?

I’d have YP with every roast, but save them for beef only. And ALWAYS sever with the main meal, none of this ‘it’s the starter before an entree’ madness.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Two asides:

Pubs serving filled Yorkshire puddings, and Yorkshire pudding "wraps" was a trend that burned brightly and has apparently burned out.

The big Yorkshire pudding schism I'm most acutely aware of seems to be between those who enjoy having one with every kind of Sunday roast, and the purists who maintain a position of with-roast-beef-only.
    Never seen a wrap thingy but many years ago had a large filled Yorkshire pudding with steak and kidney and mash. Naughty but nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I clearly missed the YP wrap trend. Sounds bloody awful. Assuming it was a full roast in a wrap? Surely can only have been a spoons / hungry horse type of eatery to do that?

I’d have YP with every roast, but save them for beef only. And ALWAYS sever with the main meal, none of this ‘it’s the starter before an entree’ madness.

Before lockdown a girl in the office used to get one at least once per week. Fair bit of oil came out the bottom of it, quite revolting. I love Yorkshires but couldn't think of anything worse. Think she used to pay £6.50 for it from Eat, not totally sure but it wasn't cheap.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Before lockdown a girl in the office used to get one at least once per week. Fair bit of oil came out the bottom of it, quite revolting. I love Yorkshires but couldn't think of anything worse. Think she used to pay £6.50 for it from Eat, not totally sure but it wasn't cheap.
    Completely agree that sounds terrible. It was bad enough before the oil coming out!

Each to their own I guess, I enjoy a chicken kebab from my local van & sometimes go mixed to get some lovely elephants leg meat, my guilt pleasure - the photo in the ‘other’ fish & chip thread kebab house looked lovely.

Master
    OOK, steak and kidney in one sounds divine. Certainly easier than messing about with suet, might have to try that next time!

Craftsman

As to people putting jam or sugar on YP, it obviously hasn't been cooked in pork or beef fat and most certainly hasn't been cooked with the meat above it dripping onto it to give it that wonderful flavour; for if it had then it would be revolting!

OOK, we have our meat and veg after we've eaten our YP as that is why it tastes best. Would you put meat on rice pudding? Or marmalade on your bacon and eggs? Some things just don't work, and YP with meat and veg is one of them!
    Actually, I quite like a slice of buttered toast with a thin spread of marmalade and a slice of bacon on it. Found out quite by accident; I was in a rush to scoff my breakfast many years ago when working offshore. Still partake these days on the rare occasion when we have a cooked breakfast.

I believe YP as a sweet snack is family common in some places. Nobody says you must use animal fat to make it as far as I know. (not knocking traditionalists)

Blog Entries
    OOK, steak and kidney in one sounds divine. Certainly easier than messing about with suet, might have to try that next time!

Must admit I've thought about it but making the Yorkshire the right shape could be tricky!

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Only because you northerners can't afford decent portions of beef, so you fill up with pudding.

But we can afford real veg unlike that frozen shite

What with reading this and the 'Fish and Chips' thread I've put on a couple of stone!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post

Mum's been to Iceland?

Mum's been to Iceland?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post

Ha ha yes, keeps us in new wellies here in the east of England!

Any chance you could post you recipe & method. I'm a Sad Southern Softie, who makes his own YP's but they never coome out as good as that!

Thanks
    John

My wife always makes an extra YP, which she has for desert with Treacle.

As for boiled carrots and parsnips, just plain nasty. They should be roasted. The only acceptable form of boiled carrots is in mashed carrot and swede.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Possibly I’m going a step too far here but Vichy carrots are a good alternative to boiling them.

I love making Yorkshires at the weekend with a roast. It's a great treat.

I have to say, I definitely prefer them from a muffin tray. The individual ones, filled with gravy are a joy.

While the big ones are probably more authentic the small ones taste better.

Those that buy pre-made need to look at themselves hard. The good ones are so simple to make and taste 10x better.

I’m going to come out and say it: YPs should be muffin-sized, those big oven pancakes are just toad in the hole with sausages missing.

Quote Originally Posted by johnboy9876 View Post
    Any chance you could post you recipe & method. I'm a Sad Southern Softie, who makes his own YP's but they never coome out as good as that!

Thanks
    John
    Here you go John....

Works best with Pork or Beef joints. Quantities are for a 10" X 8" x 2" roasting tin - adjust accordingly for other sizes.

3 heaped tablespoons of strong white flour, (aprox 90 grams), Canadian Strong White is best if you have it.
    2 Eggs
    2 Twists of Salt from the salt mill
    2 Twists of Pepper fro the pepper mill
    Milk - see below.

Put flour, Eggs, Salt & Pepper into a basin and mix, (with a spoon held hollow side down - not a whisk), to form a paste.
    Beat, again with spoon hollow side down for 2 minutes to put air into the mix
    Add milk slowly whilst stirring until you have a thinner version of wallpaper paste - you don't want the mix to be too thick.
    Set aside to stand for at least 30 minutes - the longer the better.

Now roast your meat in plenty of dripping, (pork dripping for pork, beef dripping for beef), until there is 20 minutes to go till it's cooked the way you like it.
    Take meat from tin and set aside.
    Remove any excess fat leaving about an eight of an inch covering the whole bottom of the tin. Don't remove any of the darker meat juices.
    Put the tin back in the oven until the fat bubbles, smokes and spits, (1 to 2 minutes), to get it back up to temperature.
    Take the tin out of the oven and pour in all the batter.
    Shake the tin gently to ensure that the bottom is completely covered
    Put straight back in the oven on a lower shelf and put the meat directly over it on the shelf above so that the juices from it can drip straight onto the pudding
    Cook for 20 minutes at 200 C
    Remove meat from the oven and set aside to rest.
    Serve the Yorkshire Pudding with a complementary gravy made with either pork or beef stock as appropriate with added vegetable stock or a dash or two of water from your cooking vegetables - not too much as you don't want to overdo the salt.

Enjoy
    Best Regards - Peter

Homemade tonight

“Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Master
    Blog Entries
    My softy southern versions. Child for scale.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post

Where's the mash🤔

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Where's the mash樂
    Good point!