closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The one you keep coming back to

The one you keep coming back to

Does anyone else have a watch they keeping thinking of but have never made a move for?

I keep thinking about the Explorer. I’’d considered it for each of my last 2 purchases but ended up going in a different direction each time. But the more I think about it the more I’m coming to realise it might be the one I should have got both times.

Last watch I got was a speedy which I love and is a very different watch in many regards. But I’m still finding myself thinking about the Explorer. The 2 would make a very nice pair as well.

Next time it will have to be the Explorer I think.

Anyone else have a watch they keep thinking of but have yet to get?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by WatchOnWrist; 15th November 2020 at 16:43.

A few, as it happens
    a JLC Master control with meteorite dial
    a new style Air-King
    a Panerai rattrapante or a "62" in white gold- well actually just a rarer Panerai of some sort, maybe 40-42mm this time

Master
    I started out with £3.5K & big ideas. I was looking at a Rolex Diver or a Moonwatch. In those days Rolex sports models were freely available (2008).
    Being young & stupid I rejected the Moonwatch for being a manual winder with a plastic crystal & the Rolex for feeling light (hollow link bracelet).
    Fortunately I was saved from any further stupidity by the purchase of a 1 year old Seamaster 2254, but the 2 watches I started with never entirely faded away from my mind - 10 years later I bought a Moonwatch & love the manual wind & "plastic" crystal. Two years after that I got my Rolex diver, a James Cameron. I've also added a Monaco calibre 11, 4 classic pieces linked by several years of thought & desire.
    I entirely agree with the idea that some watches stay in the memory, even if you do choose others first. In my view, if the desire to own one stays with you, you'll eventually find it comes to you, one way or another.

Master
    I made a list of all the things that I wanted in a watch ................................. and built it myself!

7750 chrono movement, surgical steel case, sapphire glasses, heavy, mesh bracelet. Perfect!
    Apologies for lousy phone pic!

Master
    Vacheron Overseas Chrono. Love it, desire it, never actually got round to buying it. Patek 5524 in rg. Drawn to it but I'll never buy it either.
    Last edited by 33JS; 15th November 2020 at 16:51.

Craftsman
    Omega PO. But I keep buying others. One day I will get it, or maybe not.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

This wristborne jar of Marmite:

I love it to bits, but keep buying other things instead.
    I dillied-'n'-dallid, shillied'n'shallied...
    Then Dekla started threatening to do a blue-dialled Turbulenz (and still haven't), but I live in hope...
    Then the price of the Damasko went up...
    And now Damasko are on the verge of introducing new in-house movements...
    Which won't appear in this range for years...
    If ever...

Ah well... Not like I need more watches. Not by a long chalk!

Master
    IWC Big Pilot is one. There are others but can’t remember them right now.

MeisterSinger

MeisterSinger for me. I love the oddness - I came very, very close (had it as a loaner) but never can 'just' pull that trigger.

Craftsman
    Rolex BLNR. Been in a position to buy one but they never come up at the right time. Then something else comes along at the right time and swallows up my watch fund.

Craftsman
    Always had an interest in watches, but didn't get into the collecting thing until fairly recently and as collecting seems to have more than taken off, a lot of pieces I would like are these days out of budget. Hence liking the Timefactors recreations, very well made with a very reasonably price, hence looking forward to a Nav arriving hopefully next week.

Monaco Calibre 11

Damasko DC56

I’ve wanted the Monaco for the last 4 years, but then I think the movement isn’t really good enough, and I drift away from it for a bit.

Whenever I think I should have a 7750 chronograph, I come back to the Damasko. The price is an opportunity cost for something else.

Maybe in the future.....

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Must be the Speedmaster Pro for me... tried it like 3 times already but never quite pulled the trigger. I will need to get one at some point I think.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    Monaco Calibre 11

Damasko DC56

I’ve wanted the Monaco for the last 4 years, but then I think the movement isn’t really good enough, and I drift away from it for a bit.

Whenever I think I should have a 7750 chronograph, I come back to the Damasko. The price is an opportunity cost for something else.

Maybe in the future.....

Dave

I've had my Calibre 11 for a couple of months now & it gets more wrist time than anything else I've got. It keeps good time despite the movement not being the most advanced & it looks amazing. I'm really pleased with it & the movement isn't really an issue for me. I know modular movements are seen as less than ideal but I can live with it for the pleasure I get from the watch overall.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    I made a list of all the things that I wanted in a watch ................................. and built it myself!

7750 chrono movement, surgical steel case, sapphire glasses, heavy, mesh bracelet. Perfect!
    Apologies for lousy phone pic!
    Would love to have a go at that.

There isn’t really ‘one’ for me. Mostly I give up on the idea because I know I’ll only wear them in very specific situations...

Sinn 1736: only with a proper business suit, which happens maybe five times a year before lockdown

Squale 1521: strictly a summer watch. It would sit in the box for 9 months a year

There’s a few others but the principle is the same

Every time that occasion comes up though, I go back to looking for them

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed875 View Post
    ... Timefactors recreations, very well made with a very reasonably price, hence looking forward to a Nav arriving hopefully next week.
    Considering their excellent quality, Timefactors watches ask a lot of questions about many more expensive brands.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    This wristborne jar of Marmite:

I love that. If it looked like this (spot the difference) it would be something like a must have.

Journeyman
    For me it’s the Speedmaster. It’s a classic watch I really like but when push comes to shove I always seem to find myself drawn to buying something else. It hasn’t helped that the 42mm case is a little bigger than I’d like, though I find the FOIS to be just about right.

Still, I did the opposite to the OP for my last acquisition - I once again thought about a Speedmaster but ended up going for an Explorer. For me the Explorer is definitely the right choice of the two - I think it’s one of the best watches out there - but the Omega has an undeniable appeal and I expect it will get me one of these days.

Master
    IWC 3717 pilot chrono'. Always loved this watch, but never quite been in the right place cash-wise, or being distracted by other pieces when I could have 'pulled-the-trigger. Never say never though.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Keep meaning to buy another 42mm PO 8500 with orange bezel, regret selling mine.

Master
    This is a good topic! One watch I keep coming back to like in purchasing it many times is the different iterations is the Omega Seamaster. I must have had nearly 10 different ones, which I've all sold and still sometimes get an urge to get a new one.

After getting the white gold Panerai recently, on my long game list there are a few watches to go:

- AP 15450, the smaller Royal Oak
    - Patek Calatrava
    - Rolex Daydate, an Oysterquartz DD would work too

Realistically, I might never get all these, at least at the same time, but do keep coming back to these often.

Panerai 372.

Had one on loan from a kind TZ member once, but foolishly didn't buy when it was for sale.

Hanhart Pioneer MKI. Lusted after one for years but never seem to have the funds!

Jaeger LeCoultre Master Control 37mm in pink/rose/red gold, or maybe a 1950s IWC 89 in pink/rose/red gold preferably not with elaborate lugs. Never get around to seeing one in the flesh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    Would love to have a go at that.
    These folks do quite a range of bits.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WATCH-CAS...sAAOSwro1fNUh7

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SET-FOR-M...75.c100623.m-1

The planet ocean. Wanted one since it was launched about 15 years ago. Spent many a window shop looking at it. Thought black, then orange, then blue, then black and orange. Don’t care much for the multicoloured ones nor the ceramic case ones.

Just not sure how it’ll fit it. I mean the SubC has got all those bases covered right? But I don’t think it’s about having too many of a type of watch. Just never managed to part with the cash for one.

5107 - early one, with the Geneva Seal. But I do vacillate a lot, and there is always something much more important to do “irl”.

Same for the Vincent Calabrese jump hour watches.

Breiting Navitimer for me, have come close many times and still have one on my “list”. Older model.

Has to be the G-Shock GMW B5000 full metal with the positive display. The ultimate convenience watch for me, it lives on the window sill in the back bedroom facing out, so always fully charged. I have often thought this would make a perfect one watch solution.

Craftsman
    Mines the Orient Saturation Diver, I can’t put my finger on it, but to me it’s just right, and everything I want in a watch.
    I’ve got a black one, and a white one on the way and then I’m sorted watch wise.

Master
    Interesting. Many thanks, will look into it!

Craftsman
    Rolex datejust 36, always loved them, even when I first started in this hobby, never pulled the trigger, would mean me consolidating some of my collection to afford it

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

I always look at the SD4Kc and know it will be too small for me but keep looking nonetheless. It's a weird fantasy of wanting to own different sea dwellers.

Since the release I have constant dreams of selling some of the collection to go towards the white gold Daytona on Oysterflex but again, it will be too small. If I can ever try one on I will.

Master
    It'd have to be the Marine Chronometer Company's Offshore Professional. Love the no nonsense engineering behind it. Been sat in my browser favourites for nearly a decade now. One day maybe, if they are still actually selling them after Lornes' sad passing.