closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Breitling Aerospace Evo as a daily wear?

Master

Breitling Aerospace Evo as a daily wear?

After selling most of my very meagre collection I now have around £1500 to spend on a daily wear/beater. I was all set to purchase a Casio MR-G as a do it all watch but I've always had a hankering for a Breitling Aerospace Evo. Never owned one before so was wondering if it could do the job? I have an Omega PO for when I'm dressed up (read as jeans and a polo shirt) but just want one watch that can cover everything else (apart from fitness which my Fenix 5 sorts out).

All thoughts/comments greatly received.

Cheers all.

I'd say so. Light, accurate and a few useful functions.

Blog Entries
    It could do the job. Some people find them fit for that purpose. For me the tiny crown made the function change difficult and I have ended up (buying and) selling more than my fair share. Plus side - very light weight and slim cased.

Master
    Thanks both, do worry about the crown being fiddly (I'm 6ft 4" with large hands) and to be honest I do prefer more chunky watches. Problem is, at the moment, I can't try one on. The MR-G might be a better option for me but the Aerospace does look great.....🤔

Master
    I used to wear one of mine (I’ve had about 5) just for cycling and running, and as a holiday watch. That is until it started getting condensation behind the glass when exercising. So yes, it’s easily a daily wearer watch (which all watches are, by definition).just wear it

easily.

a little big for small men, not sure it would suit my 6.75 wrist, 39 - 40 suits me more

Susceptible to scratching. Otherwise - a good daily watch

I’d have a damasko as a daily watch in preference though.

Craftsman
    You already have the ultimate daily watch. The PO will stand up to anything imho.

Appreciate its chunky but so is an aerospace. I’ve never owned one so can’t directly compare the two.

In 10 years of PO ownership I’ve only managed one scratch on the bezel.
    Last edited by Sean89; 14th November 2020 at 23:11.

Craftsman
    I personally found it too light. Kept forgetting I had a watch on.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean89 View Post
    You already have the ultimate daily watch. The PO will stand up to anything imho.

Appreciate its chunky but so is an aerospace. I’ve never owned one so can’t directly compare the two.

In 10 years of PO ownership I’ve only managed one scratch on the bezel.
    An Aerospace is certainly not chunky - the opposite, in fact. I’d say it would make a perfect daily (I’ve been wearing mine for the best part of a week and I have no desire to change it at the moment).

Craftsman
    Apologies, I stand corrected. It’s not as thick as I thought. Must have been thinking of the emergency.

Will have to try on an aerospace at some point. See how it feels.

I wear my Aerospace (Night Mission) a lot, so will give my perspective. The Aerospace Evo is a brilliant watch, thin, light, easy to wear, and really quite useful. If you already have a nice mechanical watch, it’s a good diversification choice as it’s TC quartz, Ana-digital, titanium etc.

It is old tech in many ways, as the digital feature set is a bit 1980s. The functions are a bit basic, but enough to be useful, particularly the easy access chronograph, 2nd time zone and jump hour, for when we can travel again

I think it has only one downside, which is that if looked after by Breitling, it is as expensive to run as any mechanical. I know you can use others for a battery change, but after trying that I have settled on Breitling looking after it, with a cost to me equivalent to a couple of Costa / Starbucks a month. I’ve accepted that cost as I like the watch.

My favourite version is the NM, which in many ways is stupid as you pay more for no bracelet and you can’t refinish it as PVD coated. It looks awesome, so that’s OK. I’ve just bought a new original strap for mine, which is in storage for when I eventually wear mine out, so I must be invested in it, as illogical as it is.

It’s a great watch, more than the sum of its parts.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does Omega not make a similar function watch that gets accolades?

As mentioned - the aerospace can be expensive to run.

Master
    Thanks again for all the replies. If my budget was enough I'd have already bought the Night Mission as I love the look of it, especially on that strap. Same goes for the X-33, great watch but out of my reach. Leaning towards the MR-G as it will be a watch that gets a bit if a rough time. Hmm, decisions 🤔

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Thanks again for all the replies. If my budget was enough I'd have already bought the Night Mission as I love the look of it, especially on that strap. Same goes for the X-33, great watch but out of my reach. Leaning towards the MR-G as it will be a watch that gets a bit if a rough time. Hmm, decisions 樂
    Can’t beat a Casio for “rough times”. No match for an X-33 MK1 or MK2 for alarm sound. TBH any digital watch is dwarfed by functions in any mobile “phone”.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I wear my Aerospace (Night Mission) a lot, so will give my perspective. The Aerospace Evo is a brilliant watch, thin, light, easy to wear, and really quite useful. If you already have a nice mechanical watch, it’s a good diversification choice as it’s TC quartz, Ana-digital, titanium etc.

It is old tech in many ways, as the digital feature set is a bit 1980s. The functions are a bit basic, but enough to be useful, particularly the easy access chronograph, 2nd time zone and jump hour, for when we can travel again

I think it has only one downside, which is that if looked after by Breitling, it is as expensive to run as any mechanical. I know you can use others for a battery change, but after trying that I have settled on Breitling looking after it, with a cost to me equivalent to a couple of Costa / Starbucks a month. I’ve accepted that cost as I like the watch.

My favourite version is the NM, which in many ways is stupid as you pay more for no bracelet and you can’t refinish it as PVD coated. It looks awesome, so that’s OK. I’ve just bought a new original strap for mine, which is in storage for when I eventually wear mine out, so I must be invested in it, as illogical as it is.

It’s a great watch, more than the sum of its parts.

Dave

I have the same watch, and echo all of the above, especially the awesomeness of it’s looks! I’ve often felt that if I had to go down to one watch that this would be a contender. I’ve also owned the previous version, on bracelet, and that was a fine watch as well (IMO the bracelet is one of the best looking available)
    The functions can be a bit fiddly to use, but once you get the hang of it are not a problem (to be honest I don’t use them much anyway!) The watch is big enough to have wrist presence, but not so much as to be a worrier of door jambs (which can’t be said about most G’s!) If you can afford it, I doubt that you’ll be unhappy - and if bought used wouldn’t loose much on it anyway.

I've owned a few. They look cool and could do the job but honestly a Full Metal Gshock is much cheaper and is a much better watch. The Aerospace is outdated tech and poor value for money. The Gshock is objectively better finished as well.

I'd get a Gshock full metal and then you have around £1150 left to play with to get an every day watch - I'd be looking at Sinn personally

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I've owned a few. They look cool and could do the job but honestly a Full Metal Gshock is much cheaper and is a much better watch. The Aerospace is outdated tech and poor value for money. The Gshock is objectively better finished as well.

I'd get a Gshock full metal and then you have around £1150 left to play with to get an every day watch - I'd be looking at Sinn personally

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Thanks Ryan, the G Shock I'm after is the MR-G G1000b so not exactly cheap but would be my daily "do it all" watch. Just think it would be more suited to my needs but still love the look of the Aerospace.

The MR-G are cool, but they are big, and thick. If it was just about technology my Rangeman 9400 does everything for about £150, but it’s not really a daily wearer.

The G and Breitling are very different watches, but I do find the Aerospace’s thinness makes it easy to wear, and it’s functions are sufficient

D

Half the functions that people extol are pretty superfluous for the most part.

"I used my new Daytona to time the soufles we made for dinner"

But - the Aerospace is a useful dual time zone watch, which pretty much sums it up.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Half the functions that people extol are pretty superfluous for the most part.

"I used my new Daytona to time the soufles we made for dinner"

But - the Aerospace is a useful dual time zone watch, which pretty much sums it up.
    ...With very good chrono functionality as well, and in a slim, light and extremely comfortable package. For me it's infinitely preferable to the Casio but that's a very subjective view, I admit.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    ...With very good chrono functionality as well, and in a slim, light and extremely comfortable package. For me it's infinitely preferable to the Casio but that's a very subjective view, I admit.
    It is, but I'm not sure many people use that function.

Don't get me wrong - I like my Aerospace, but new or used - It wouldn't figure in my "daily wear" choices.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I much prefer my X-33 for its useful functions - four / five (crown) button controls much easier to use (for me).

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I much prefer my X-33 for its useful functions - four / five (crown) button controls much easier to use (for me).
    That may be, but to my mind it's far too bulky to consider it for daily use. YMMV, though.

Master
    Well I've just pulled the trigger on the MR-G. Appreciate all the comments posted, made me think quite a bit but I've been after this MR-G since S.L posted a up a picture of it a few years back (and I've always loved G Shocks). I will have an aerospace one day....hopefully the Night Mission.
    Cheers, Toddy

I have the previous model, the 'Avantage' which is similar to the EVO but marginally smaller (42mm vs 43mm). I think Aerospaces make excellent everyday watches, I use mine a lot for travel with the 2nd timezone and an alarm clock if need be. It is light, thin and discreet (when traveling).

I really want to like the new Omega X-33 but it is significantly bigger and chunkier and more expensive. The Breitling also has 100m WR compared to the Omega's 30m (that is important to me).

You can probably pick up an EVO second hand for £1600-1700 if you look around (non NM version), £1100-1200 for the Avantage and sub a grand for the previous models. I would be happy with any of those.

Quite often wear my aerospace for weeks on end and always found it excellent with a touch of class and a superb timekeeper.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Well I've just pulled the trigger on the MR-G. Appreciate all the comments posted, made me think quite a bit but I've been after this MR-G since S.L posted a up a picture of it a few years back (and I've always loved G Shocks). I will have an aerospace one day....hopefully the Night Mission.
    Cheers, Toddy
    Which one did you get as i have been after one of these but like you have a budget of around £1500 and haven't seen any near this price.

https://g-shock.co.uk/mrg-g1000b-1adr

Craftsman
    I can only add to what has already been said. It's good "grab and go" watch for the days I don't have time to wind and set a watch. It's very light on the wrist, I wear mine on a NATO which reduces the wrist presence further, and the crown can be a bit fiddly for the functions. But overall it's a good daily.

Reading this thread I really want to wear mine again, but it needs a new battery and the watch shop is closed for Covid, I guess that's a downside to it :-(.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Which one did you get as i have been after one of these but like you have a budget of around £1500 and haven't seen any near this price.

£2,500 for a G-shock - Now that I find shocking -

- when you can get the same functionality (solar, radio-synch, multi-alarms etc etc G-shock AND not a huge bulk for about £100 or less)

Dimensions: 54.7 x 49.8 x 16.9mm - puts me right off as a 'daily wearer'. But anyway - it takes all sorts to make a watch world - I hope you (OP) enjoy it! All the very best, Martyn

Still prefer this - and they can be had for around £1600 if you look in the right place:

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 15th November 2020 at 16:56.

Breitling Aerospace Evo as a daily wear?

I realise the OP has now made his decision, but for what it’s worth I will add a comment or two.

I owned an Avantage for a while, and as a confirmed Breitling enthusiast (it was my 5th), I really wanted to love it. I didn’t.

I loved the way it looked, but for me it was too small, far too light and it just felt insubstantial.

Above all, I hated the endless crown twiddling to access all the functions - as a result I ended up not using them which felt stupid.

I know that I’ve voiced these same views in the past, however there’s a recent postscript to add - I have just taken delivery of a G Shock full metal and I’m going to be interested to see how I get on with that (at a third of the price - brand new - than I paid for my second hand Aerospace!).

Simon
    Last edited by mycroft; 15th November 2020 at 21:15.

If you want mrg functions in a slimmer package and fantastic quality go buy a casio Oceanus... Bargain

I know two former RAF pilots and both wear Aerospace Evo every day.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I really wanted to love it. I didn’t.

I loved the way it looked, but for me it was too small, far too light and it just felt insubstantial.
    I have to agree, comfortable as a watch but just doesnt have that heft to it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post

Sorry for the late reply, was bought off eBay as it was out of my budget if buying new. Came fully boxed and like new😁

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I know two former RAF pilots and both wear Aerospace Evo every day.
    There's a former Army Air Corps pilot who has an Aerospace Advantage as his daily wearer. Living in Los Angeles now, married to an actress apparently.

Picked up a long time ambition watch recently, a 75362 Aerospace Ti. Not an EVO, I know.

Have been wearing it solidly since acquisition. It's so light I forget it's there.

Lume is spectacular. I leave it on 24hr normal time display but love the T2 function that I will leave on UTC.

Have used the timer and the chrono for timing various things. The minutes repetition feature is nice.

It is superbly comfortable on the folded link/roller Ti bracelet, but it came as a full set with an OEM strap and buckle too. However, I'm a deployant clasp fan, so will look for one of them too.

An Aerospace is a genuine tool watch, but the detailing is gorgeous, and it still impresses me every time I glance at it.

I've had to clear three other, older lower value pieces to make way, but je ne regrette rien!

An Aerospace is an easy every day wearer.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    There's a former Army Air Corps pilot who has an Aerospace Advantage as his daily wearer. Living in Los Angeles now, married to an actress apparently.

Lolz ;)

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I wear my vintage Seiko Arnie as my running/ beater watch. The new one would’ve ticked a lot of your boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app