closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fish & Chips

I am fortunate to live within 1/4 mile of four top quality fish and chip emporiums, but why is no-one on here talking about the Friday lunchtime special : fish in a bun?

Freshly fried haddock (or cod if one must) deftly inserted into a soft white bun. Salt and vinegar. Job done.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Sorry to derail this thread (sorry, not sorry), but I have often wondered (not that often) about a plate presenting chips and eggs simultaneously. Is it chips and egg or egg and chips? Both seem linguistically valid, so are the different locutions down to social situation, geographic location, age or some other reason?
    The other food item that proceeds it is irrelevant, it’s always “and chips”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I often give the fish a miss due to the price of Cod plus not great for my diet and go for pie n chips instead especially if the chippy sells Pukka pies :)

Not a huge fan (a bit to greasy for me), but recently had Fish and Chips at Rick Steins Cornish Arms and it was excellent (including the Mushy pees). I suppose it’s dependant upon the raw materials and the person cooking it.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Best I've had was Anstruther Fish Bar in Scotland. Fabulous. Overall the quality of Fish and Chips on the East Coast of Scotland was superb and a level above what I've had in England.

That being said in Edinburgh there was this odd brown sauce they serve with it that tastes a bit like Tamarind liquid. Didn't think it suited it to be honest.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Local specialty is a mushy pea fritter to go with your chips

Talking of Cod, I once knew a trawler fisherman who called them ‘the filthiest fish in the sea’ and refused to eat it. Must say I agree, horrible texture and taste.

Another trawlerman told me Skate was used on the long trips to ahem, pleasure oneself, as it felt uncannily similar to you know what. This I have not tried so cannot confirm if true.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Another trawlerman told me Skate was used on the long trips to ahem, pleasure oneself, as it felt uncannily similar to you know what. This I have not tried so cannot confirm if true.
    TZ-UK: a place of useful learning.

Haddock is a little sweeter and finer than cod it’s true but I have never heard cod described as a filthy fish before, though I’ve never hung out with trawler fisherman, my uncle used to catch line caught cod on the east coast and the fish was always great quality so I thought.
    Last edited by Passenger; 14th November 2020 at 20:13.

Talking of Cod, I once knew a trawler fisherman who called them ‘the filthiest fish in the sea’ and refused to eat it. Must say I agree, horrible texture and taste.

And in other news, A & E departments across the UK report a huge rise in the number of fish related injuries.

I love a middle skate but that’s quite put me off!

I marvelled at the wonders of the fish shops in Edinburgh, a huge array of confectionary behind the counter to be fried at your request, I did pass on the confectionary and chose deep fried haggis and by jove it was lovely.

Another delight that I found was a Pattie butty, offered up by friends after a nights refreshments in Hull, delicious but never to be seen again anywhere else?

Salt, vinegar that then washes the top layer of salt down, then more salt that sticks to the vinegar, all in equally unhealthy measures.

I’m lucky enough to live within 200 yards of the Jollye fryer,voted the best chippy in Essex.Having sampled a few of the others I can confirm it’s superb ,with the frying done in beef dripping,i think my life expectancy has diminished.
    However I felt genuine despair when they announced they’re now shut until the 4th of March,a date that’s now etched on my memory.

As a native West of Scotlander who’s lived in Edinburgh, Aberdeen and the SE of England in my time, the correct answer is “just salt please”. The East of Scotland “sauce” is utterly vile, vinegared down brown sauce with the texture of used sump oil - ewwww. Decent brown or HP sauce is good with a haggis or black pudding supper, ketchup a nice addition to fish.

Oh, and always remember my first request for a “fish supper” in Horsham, Sussex was met with utter bewilderment. “Sorry, fish and chips,then”. The guy behind the counter then apologised for the football result. This being the day when Gary McCallister missed the penalty at Wembley. (I’m 6 foot 3, built like a brick outbuilding, and have an erm, emotionally transparent face). See you nice Engerlund folks at the Euros next year seeing as we’ve just qualified...
    Last edited by MattMM; 14th November 2020 at 21:52.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    If your feeling particularly hungry a chip bucket is perfect, hollow out a loaf of fresh bread, line the internal edges with salted butter, fill it with a large portion of piping hot chip shop chips so the butter melts and top with what takes your fancy, curry sauce, gravy, beans - Yum yum..

At which point are you advised to call the ambulance?

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master

Fish & Chips

Quote Originally Posted by leo1790 View Post
    Definitely egg 'n chips, same as fish 'n chips. The only time chips is allowed to be said before the main event is when it's chips 'n cheese.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    And chips’’n’’curry sauce

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I miss salt and sauce

For me fish n chips or pie n chips with a few scratching's always always tastes better when you buy them "open" and walk home eating them on a cold night, heaven :)

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    For me fish n chips or pie n chips with a few scratching's always always tastes better when you buy them "open" and walk home eating them on a cold night, heaven :)
    This is an excellent point. Chips travel badly, I find it heart breaking when I open a box of chips I’ve picked up from the chip shop and find them to have become soft and shapeless, probably steamed in the packaging.

I guess the vinegar/curry sauce/gravy lovers won’t understand this disaster as their chips are always soft and soggy.

You lot have just brought a nostalgic tear to my eye... Circa. 1980 and the cone of chips landed in my grubby young paws, even printed like a newspaper!

Do they still exist?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Yup after a few pints when you're under age, really hot chips so the smell of the salt and vinegar and steam rises off them, as you walk home in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    After a few pints
    When you're under age
    Really hot chips
    The smell of the salt and vinegar and steam rises off them
    As you walk home in the dark.
    Best poem Larkin never wrote.

Salt and vinegar, gravy, tomato sauce and a slice of buttered bread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I'm sorry but I just couldn't resist..
    Mmm! Is that New-York-style sidewalk custard?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    I miss salt and sauce
    HP Sauce dilute with vinegar to taste. Not too thick, not too runny - it has to be just so.

My first try...

Poslano sa mog SM-G960F koriste?i Tapatalk

I must say a trip to Amsterdam is well worth it, some of the best chips I’ve had and check out all those topping pumps!!

Sauce andalouse on Belgian frites, washed down with a Trappistes Rochefort. Happy days.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

You lot have just brought a nostalgic tear to my eye... Circa. 1980 and the cone of chips landed in my grubby young paws, even printed like a newspaper!

Do they still exist?

In Paris yes, one of the Irish pubs (O'Sullivans, I think) serves fish and chips with the latter in a kind of metal spiral contraption lined with look-a-like newspaper.

A bit like this

Master
    Some of you lot have some revolting eating habits, the muck you chuck down yourselves is revolting.

Gillian McKeith would have a field day with reading this thread.

Any further south and i would have wet feet

Fish & Chips

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Some of you lot have some revolting eating habits, the muck you chuck down yourselves is revolting.

Glad you could contribute something to the thread.
    What would you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know she's a fraud, right?

Mick (mushy) Pea

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Sauce andalouse on Belgian frites, washed down with a Trappistes Rochefort. Happy days.
    Must you raise the tone, Matthew?

Some of you lot have some revolting eating habits, the muck you chuck down yourselves is revolting. Gillian McKeith would have a field day with reading this thread.
    Don’t come here and play the ponce, son. I’m sure you’re no better than you ought to be.

Geezer repeatedly brags about his daily alcohol consumption but criticises what people occasionally eat. Class.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Geezer repeatedly brags about his daily alcohol consumption but criticises what people occasionally eat. Class.
    I find him maximum amusing. And it's so easy to trigger him, cannot stop.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Once a month if passing our really excellent local chippy in the evening my wife will have a cone of chips she won't eat them out of anything else and she really enjoys the last few chips at the bottom of the cone that are swimming in vinegar :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Anyone gone out and bought fish and chips today on the back of these two threads?

I’m seriously contemplating it!

Makes me think that someone from the ‘National Association of Fish and Chip People’ has infiltrated us and we’re all upping their sales figures
    I did, two special fish suppers, one with a pickled egg and a little salt, the other with a couple of pickled onions and tartare sauce.

I can't wait to get back to Scotland and have some more. We have a ok one near where we live in SW London but I think the Scots have some kind of batter secret that makes the dish. Light but still crispy and with fish so fresh it would be sacrilege to stick vinegar on it - just a bit of salt will do, and the fish has to be eaten with hands, not with knives and fork.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I can't wait to get back to Scotland and have some more. We have a ok one near where we live in SW London but I think the Scots have some kind of batter secret that makes the dish. Light but still crispy and with fish so fresh it would be sacrilege to stick vinegar on it - just a bit of salt will do, and the fish has to be eaten with hands, not with knives and fork.

You need to try more battered food in Scotland in order to get a comparison. I can assure you that not all Scottish fish and chip shops have light & crispy batter,any more than all English ones. There are plenty where you can get a nice,stodgy lump of something that used to have a vague connection to the sea.

SydR

Fish & Chips

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    You need to try more battered food in Scotland in order to get a comparison. I can assure you that not all Scottish fish and chip shops have light & crispy batter,any more than all English ones. There are plenty where you can get a nice,stodgy lump of something that used to have a vague connection to the sea.
    I must admit to being disappointed when ordering my first ‘sausage and chips’ (as opposed to sausage supper ) to find the sausage didn’t come in batter. Was refreshing to find a chippy, a few years ago, in Nottingham who did them in batter.

Everything is normal (well if you exclude salt and sauce) now I’m back in Scotland.

Depends which part of the Skate but I imagine the mouth, those fine teeth would cause issues though..

Surely you have indulged in Patatas Bravas while down in the Costa's Mick -

Blog Entries
    I prefer Plaice or rock eel with just chips no accompaniments with a sprinkling of salt no vinegar or goodbye sauce eaten on a plate with a fish knife.Lucky to have a decent chippie that does a light batter on request , magic.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

I'm sure years ago a mate used to date her !! :)

Surprising that a row hasn't started on this thread about The Magpie serving the best fish and chips.

I'll start it now by saying that they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Inspired by "the other thread', lunch today comprised left over chips from last night covered with a good helping of Bea's vegetable soup, and given a good blast in the microwave.

For the second time today, I'd like to thank the OP for starting a thread: it's brought-to-light yet-more self-identifying knaves to add to the "ignore" list...

I'm almost as Southern as it gets, but have at least learned that the holy triumvirate of battered haddock, chips and mushy peas recognises no equal. Salt yes, vinegar - perhaps - but chips only, because soggy batter makes the baby Jesus cry...

PS: The Magpie is MASSIVELY overrated

Master
    In my ignorance what is The Magpie?

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    Fish & Chip restaurant in Whitby, always queue's to get in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Fish & Chip restaurant in Whitby, always queue's to get in.
    What belonged to the queues?

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    The poor man's Trenchers.