closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another What Car thread - small, fast and fun

I was looking recently, and focus ST3s can be found for this money.
    The 5 door version (about 2013). That's a lot of capability for the money.
    D

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    I would do. Although it's anathema to say so on this forum, it's a better car to drive than the MX-5 (I have both). The only thing that it can't do, which the MX-5 can, is drop its roof.
    You can’t pick up a GT86 for 7K though can you?

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    You can’t pick up a GT86 for 7K though can you?
    https://www.gt86ownersclub.co.uk/for...nual-york.html

Master
    So no then. The OP did say he was looking to spend up to 7K.

So no then. The OP did say he was looking to spend up to 7K.
    The car I linked to was advertised at £7300. I'm sure that with some negotiation it could have been purchased for £7k. You really are nitpicking - or just don't like to be shown to be wrong.

Master
    The car I linked to was advertised at £7300. I'm sure that with some negotiation it could have been purchased for £7k. You really are nitpicking - or just don't like to be shown to be wrong.
    Apologies, but when I clicked on your link a page full of cars for sale came up, not just one and a quick scroll through them was showing cars well over 7K. I didn’t see the one listed at 7.3K

Master

This is what I’m getting when I click on your link. This is just 3 screenshots, there are many more for sale.

Master
    Just to play devil’s advocate. 7k hot hatch, what could go wrong, almost certainly won’t have been ragged within an inch of its life!?!?

This is what I’m getting when I click on your link. This is just 3 screenshots, there are many more for sale.
    Sorry, I guess you need to be logged on to that forum to see the full details. It was the bottom one on your second page, but has been sold. There aren't many GT86s at £7k, but they are out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    A Panda 100hp is a cool idea, and I know it has a bit of a cilt following.
    I actually ran a Panda 100HP before the Mini. They are great fun to rag around, not as fast as the Cooper S (but only ~1/2 the power) but be warned, they have no suspension at all. People say the Mini on runflats has a hard ride, but trust me, it’s a magic carpet compared to the Fiat. Just something to bear in mind if you value your spine!

On the other hand, you can get 4 adults in the Panda and the boot is usable (albeit not massive), so it scores higher on the practicality stakes..

Cheers,

Plug
    Last edited by Plug; 14th November 2020 at 21:29. Reason: Added extra info

Master
    Fun as the GR Yaris sounds, they won’t sell many at £30k-£35k. That money gets you a lot of second hand sports car...(s)

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    Fun as the GR Yaris sounds, they won’t sell many at £30k-£35k. That money gets you a lot of second hand sports car...(s)
    £34k start price I believe?

People don’t buy that kind of car for cash nowadays, it’s all about the monthlies.

If it has a strong residual, it might be a success however if it hasn’t, it won’t displace the faster, more luxurious, badge-endowed (albeit more boring) Golf R, A35 or S3.

On a short lease/pcp it would make sense for enthusiasts, but they are continuously seduced by the monthlies, not the car.

Toyota have already been there with the GT86, and is currently going through it with the Supra. Great cars but too expensive without the cache

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wood View Post
    Abarth 595...little pocket rocket!

I've got a 2010 convertible with flappy paddles (cost sub £7k two years ago), and how I've still got a clean licence is beyond me!

;-)
    I thought I’d never own an Abarth 500. Then I drove one. Had it seven years now and occasionally have notions of selling it but it’s superb fun. As an aside I had performance cars for years including several high powered Subaru’s with 500 bhp and survived with a clean license. Five months into Abarth ownership and I had my first three points. Caveat is it is a second car and wouldn’t fancy it as a daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by DC11 View Post
    As someone mentioned below: BMW 130i

A hatchback with RWD, 6 speed manual transmission and the best (Non M\\) straight 6 engine BMW ever made producing 260+ bhp.

The newest examples are still 13 years old, so are beginning to need some TLC now, but they’re great cars and sound incredible!
    I had this dilemma not long ago and ended up with a 5 door 130i. Whilst I fully agree the mini and the Abarth are fun to drive, these were discounted due to their size. The Mx5 was a no for me because of the 2 seats.

I was also strongly considering the Tyre R’s but decided that the enjoyment comes from driving the car at 7/10+ which in reality would not happen very often.

The BMW gives me enough pleasure when both poodling and pressing along. Insurance is reasonable, fuel economy is not that great but given their rarity, they are holding value well.

I think I need a GR Yaris in my life.

Just need to find £35000

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Just to play devil’s advocate. 7k hot hatch, what could go wrong, almost certainly won’t have been ragged within an inch of its life!?!?
    My thoughts exactly! I always read about cheap ‘sporty’ cars, then read the ad, look at the pictures, maybe travel to see the car, meet the owner.......and run away like hell!

EP3 Civic Type R. It will probably appreciate as well if you get a good one.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Captaincook View Post
    I had this dilemma not long ago and ended up with a 5 door 130i. Whilst I fully agree the mini and the Abarth are fun to drive, these were discounted due to their size. The Mx5 was a no for me because of the 2 seats.

I was also strongly considering the Tyre R’s but decided that the enjoyment comes from driving the car at 7/10+ which in reality would not happen very often.

The BMW gives me enough pleasure when both poodling and pressing along. Insurance is reasonable, fuel economy is not that great but given their rarity, they are holding value well.
    I’ve had two of them, a 5 door LCI model, and a 3 door LE model... And I’m actually itching for another!

They really do get under your skin, and it’s a format that will never be repeated again (RWD, 6MT, NA 6 cylinder, Hatchback).

I mean, they're hog-ugly, but I really do like a BMW straight-six engine! I'll have a look!

Apprentice
    I mean, they're hog-ugly, but I really do like a BMW straight-six engine! I'll have a look!
    The 125i coupes/convertibles are better looking and essentially the same engine, just de-tuned.

A simple remap gets them back up to 260bhp.

Vespa GTS300 HPE?

Afternoon, all, hope you're all staying safe and well in these trying times.

I'm moving back to the UK next summer after 21 years abroad. I've got a house with a drive for two cars, and a garage too small to be of use for much more than my dad's Austin 7s.

And I've got a BMW 530i Touring, which is a wonderful car. But big.

So I'm thinking I need something small and fun. Small and nippy. Something with a bit of pizazz.

I guess I've got a budget of anything up to about £7k, but I'm not afraid of spending less! (Didn't someone on the SC have a 190 horse Celica recently for under £2k?) My default thinking is a Fiesta ST, as I don't think I can afford a VW Up! GTI.

What else should I be thinking of? Quick Yaris? I love the idea of the new Twingo, but the reviews are... mixed.

The alternative is to buy some fun convertible, like that A4 that came up on the SC, or maybe a Saab 9-3 convertible.

Master
    140+, 0-60 6s, 40mpg, £130 tax, low insurance, handles great and a future classic: Peugeot 208Gti Prestige or the Peugeot Sport version if you can find one.
    We've had one for 3 year just coming up to 27K. My Wife and Daughter love it, so easy to drive and park.
    Highly recommend it.

This should be the shortest thread of all time.

MX-5, obviously

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    This should be the shortest thread of all time.

MX-5, obviously
    Well, apart from the fact that it was already mentioned in Post #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Or an MX-5 on individual throttle bodies.
    how exactly do you suggest that it will meet the OP's needs to have
    Room in the back for the kids for short trips is needed, but nothing more!

An MX-5 would be great, but I DO need 2+2!

An MX-5 would be great, but I DO need 2+2!
    Buy two MX-5s.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    I recently bought a convertible, I'm just past 50 and thought it was about time I ticked that box off the 'list'. I've had faster cars, better handling cars, roomier cars and comfier cars, but never one that makes me smile as much, at the slightest whiff of sunshine, that roof comes down (lowest temperature was 5.5C) with the heaters blowing full pelt, the aero deflectors deployed, heated seats at warp 10 and the little blowy thing in the seat back warming my neck the ambient temperature is irrelevant.
    I'd heartily recommend you experience top down motoring on an extended basis once in your life. It's even reasonably practical if you buy the right one I moved my daughter back to Uni in it without issue.

You should be able to find a 4 seat convertible for 7k not only from the usual german suspects but there's the Lexus SC430 if you can stand the looks and appetite for unleaded, Volvo C70, Saab 9-3's. Also some Americans (sebring, etc.) which I'd not recommend but may float someones boat.

And, now is the time to buy a convertible, when those summer heroes are flagging.

I'm really leaning towards the disposable convertible. 9-3, A4, things like that? A nice post, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    You should be able to find a 4 seat convertible for 7k not only from the usual german suspects but there's the Lexus SC430 if you can stand the looks and appetite for unleaded, Volvo C70, Saab 9-3's.
    You don’t need to spend anywhere near £7k for a Saab 9-3 convertible. Mine cost me £1.5k a couple of years ago and is probably still worth about the same. Very comfortable, pretty reliable (it’s a Vectra underneath) but not desperately sporty.

If you’re happy to spend the £7k, get the newest Aero one that you can find. The power can be upped pretty easily, if required.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    I recently bought a convertible, I'm just past 50 and thought it was about time I ticked that box off the 'list'. I've had faster cars, better handling cars, roomier cars and comfier cars, but never one that makes me smile as much, at the slightest whiff of sunshine, that roof comes down (lowest temperature was 5.5C) with the heaters blowing full pelt, the aero deflectors deployed, heated seats at warp 10 and the little blowy thing in the seat back warming my neck the ambient temperature is irrelevant.
    I'd heartily recommend you experience top down motoring on an extended basis once in your life. It's even reasonably practical if you buy the right one I moved my daughter back to Uni in it without issue.
    Admittedly, less useful on the uni run, but I think from the above that you'd quite like motorcycling.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    You don’t need to spend anywhere near £7k for a Saab 9-3 convertible. Mine cost me £1.5k a couple of years ago and is probably still worth about the same. Very comfortable, pretty reliable (it’s a Vectra underneath) but not desperately sporty.

If you’re happy to spend the £7k, get the newest Aero one that you can find. The power can be upped pretty easily, if required.
    Abs right. When Saab folded they depreciated hugely, but Saab parts are a separate company so keeping them on the road is not a problem (and there are some very good indies about), and they therefore make great secondhand buys.

Echo-chamber motoring journalists all go on about how a front-wheel drive can't handle the Aero's power, but they're a hoot to drive - a real wolf in sheep's clothing - and immense bang per buck.

Master
    I'm really leaning towards the disposable convertible. 9-3, A4, things like that? A nice post, thank you.
    You can get an S4 cabriolet for 7k - 4.2l V8 might be fun.

That wasn't in the original post.

As someone else said, if he's feeling brave an RX-8 is a wonderful car to drive. Easily in purchase budget, if a bit thirsty.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    You can get an S4 cabriolet for 7k - 4.2l V8 might be fun.
    In a straight line, maybe...

M

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Admittedly, less useful on the uni run, but I think from the above that you'd quite like motorcycling.
    Ahh motorcycles - I have had several over the years and stacked all of them. Also my cousin lost his life on one so the shine is sadly tarnished. My 2 wheeled exploits are now limited to a mountain bike that's been nowhere near a mountain.

I own a soft top (that I run alongside the 350z mentioned earlier in the thread), the roof is off more in dry and fresher weather than during the summer when it's baking hot. Blue sky frosty mornings are the best time for roof off motoring IMO, as long as you're dressed for the cold then it's a lot better than sweating your nuts off in a glass, plastic and metal box sitting on leather seats in 30deg getting sunburnt - when the weather is that hot I'm in the 350z with the air-con on!

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    I own a soft top (that I run alongside the 350z mentioned earlier in the thread), the roof is off more in dry and fresher weather than during the summer when it's baking hot. Blue sky frosty mornings are the best time for roof off motoring IMO, as long as you're dressed for the cold then it's a lot better than sweating your nuts off in a glass, plastic and metal box sitting on leather seats in 30deg getting sunburnt - when the weather is that hot I'm in the 350z with the air-con on!
    I found a real nice looking Ford Focus CC - manual, leather, good colour - for about £1500 on Autotrader, and I admit, I considered it!

I've got six months to work out what I want before I'm back in the UK, and a nice convertible appeals!

Apprentice

This is small and great fun

Craftsman
    something shaped like a lotus 7 maybe?

OK, bumping this because I've been thinking - always dangerous.

I'm a long-time BMW owner here, having had a E28 518i manual saloon (loved that car), an E39 523i manual wagon, and currently an E39 530i automatic wagon.

It makes no sense to buy something the same size as the 5 series wagon, of course, so I've been looking at something smaller, or something dumber. Or both. At the moment the front runner is a 100hp Fiat Panda - I would have bought the one on the SC this week had I been in the UK. But recently, I've been thinking of a BMW 320si. LE of 500, some interesting mods. Does anyone have any thoughts on the mater? Any experience? Thank you!

(Leftfield choices - Renault Avantime, Citroen C6, Volkswagen Phaeton petrol. You know - dumb stuff.)

21 years ago there were 27m cars on the roads, we’ve now got 38.8m. I wouldn’t worry about getting something fast. Get something that’s good in a traffic jam.

Craftsman
    Ive got a scirocco 2litre sport. Great little car.

Master
    I’m a few weeks into owning a mk1 Audi TT 3.2 I’ve had faster much better cars but quick enough so puts a smile on my face every time I use it and it’s surprisingly practical which means I can actually use it more often. Parts and servicing seem pretty cheap because it’s a golf in a pretty frock

Small, fast and fun ......... Lotus Elise

Master
    Well, there seems no answer to this conundrum. Also I've noticed that s/h prices seem to be up 10-20% atm.

Porsche 944.

Not a high HP car, but you can take it through the corners at very high speed...

Apprentice
    Just acquired this

Quote Originally Posted by EssexSteve60 View Post
    Just acquired this
    Oh yes, very nice.

I'm a long-time BMW owner here, having had a E28 518i manual saloon (loved that car), an E39 523i manual wagon, and currently an E39 530i automatic wagon.

It makes no sense to buy something the same size as the 5 series wagon, of course, so I've been looking at something smaller, or something dumber. Or both. At the moment the front runner is a 100hp Fiat Panda - I would have bought the one on the SC this week had I been in the UK. But recently, I've been thinking of a BMW 320si. LE of 500, some interesting mods. Does anyone have any thoughts on the mater? Any experience? Thank you!
    A colleague had one of those 320is (320si? 320 Sport?) BMWs from new, or very nearly, and found it a real challenge to get parts.

He regretted it, saying it was not really any quicker than a standard 320i and a nightmare to run.

Glad to see some suggestions that actually are small, light and fun, rather than the usual BHP Top Trumps tanks.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 17th March 2021 at 10:45.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Oh yes, very nice.
    It’s a beauty, cheers reggie .

Master

Another What Car thread - small, fast and fun

(Leftfield choices - Renault Avantime, Citroen C6, Volkswagen Phaeton petrol. You know - dumb stuff.)
    I loved my e39 and now have a f10 both the 525d manual and even though the f10 is quicker it isn’t as much fun.

But back to the post. I had a play with a 435d xdrive and it’s was loads of fun for the money, and looks better than the 3.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app