closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Exceptional service from MWC

Exceptional service from MWC

I know MWC are a LONG way from being a forum favourite, but I like the watches they make and own a couple which I thoroughly enjoy.

A month ago I managed to give my "Depthmaster" a hefty twatting against a door jamb while on holiday. Very little damage, excepting that without realising it, I'd knocked the triangular cardinal-index lume out of the ceramic bezel. I didn't even notice for a couple days, by which time I was home, so no hope of finding it.

A few days later I extracted digit-from-orifice and dropped MWC a line to see if I could buy a replacement piece to slot in place. Not possible, the reply came back immediately, the bezel inserts arrive complete from their supplier. They offered a drop-in "pearl" for a quick fix, but that would have looked pretty naff in a triangular recess, so instead they offered to fit a new bezel insert.

Brilliant, happy to pay for that. The watch gets a lot of wear and was getting agreeably toolwatch-scruffy, but the lume was not something I wanted to be without. So off it goes, RMSD . . . and a week later I receive this:

What I'd sent them was a well-used watch body in a carboard box - what I received in return is a brand-new, off-the-shelf, still-stickered watch, complete with new strap, alloy box, and full papers - including a new guarantee commencing now.

Very happy with that, literally no more they could do - all for a ~£400 watch I'd bought in Italy. Comms were great throughout, too.

Felt they deserved a mention.

Wow! That’s quite a result. Good on them!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Excellent result.

Master
    Not a fan of the company but that is great service, and that really is a good looking watch.

Not gonna lie, I've always turned up my nose at MWC. But credit where it's due - this is exceptional service, they really seem to care about making the customer happy.
    That's something which can't be said about many of the big brands....

Master
    That is indeed exceptional service.

Great service! I've never owned one but I have a browse of their site every now and again and they do appear to be quite a legitimate company these day with some fairly attractive watches.

Master
    Yes for some reason MWC get abuse from some on here, I've had an MWC G10 bought as a beater from Ebay, reliable, accurate, go to watch for working in the depths of a car engine and indeed has taken a beating and still is very legible and accurate.
    All good.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by K300 View Post
    Y I've had an MWC G10 bought as a beater
    I had one as a daily wearer for over a year. No issues at all. The service that OP received was fantastic.

I should have mentioned that they didn't charge me a penny for this.

My understanding is that their bad rep on forums derives in part from spurious marketing claims which gave the impression they had some sort of military-issued heritage, which they do not.

Master
    That is good result and excellent service.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    I should have mentioned that they didn't charge me a penny for this.

My understanding is that their bad rep on forums derives in part from spurious marketing claims which gave the impression they had some sort of military-issued heritage, which they do not.
    Not charging you for a replacement because of a lost lume pip is an amazing result, and great customer service, well beyond what I would have expected.

The spurious claims on their website is largely the reason for their poor rep. That and the movements used in the watches not being Swiss as claimed (there was one picture going around the web of a MWC with a tiny quartz movement straight out of a ladies watch.)

I owned a MWC years ago (when they were sold in Austin Kaye on the Strand). It was the worst quality new watch I have ever owned. The crown and tube were made of something that looked like metal but had the hardness of play-dough. This same material was also used for the bezel and insert as far as I could work out. The watch was trashed within 6 months of light wear, which is not great for a 'tool watch' The movement never kept great time, and when it finally gave up the ghost, I opened the it up and there was a clone movement inside as far as I could tell.
    In their defence It was a cheap watch but no where near suitable for their claimed use.

It looks as if they have really upped their game and if this is their approach to customer service, I can only think it will win more people around.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    ...My understanding is that their bad rep on forums derives in part from spurious marketing claims which gave the impression they had some sort of military-issued heritage, which they do not.
    From the 'About Us' section of their own website:

'MWC is now one of the worlds leading suppliers of robust military specification timepieces, not just to individual buyers and the military but also to police forces, anti-terrorist units, airlines, mining companies, shipping and salvage companies and a diverse variety of government agencies and departments.'

https://mwcwatches.com/pages/about-us

Aren't they fuelling the 'spurious marketing claims' themselves? Must be good for business.
    ______

​Jim.

Craftsman
    I have just had a look at the MWC web site, in particular their Chronographs, and they all seem to have black dials. Is that their shtick? Not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Not charging you for a replacement because of a lost lume pip is an amazing result, and great customer service, well beyond what I would have expected.
    Likewise, expectations much exceeded. I'd have been satisfied just to get a repair and pay for it - it was my fault after-all. My guess is that perhaps the labour cost involved in a bezel insert replacement was higher than quickly returning a new watch off the shelf, perhaps because the watches are likely partly or wholly made in Asia. I don't know this for a fact, but the Kickstarter-tier prices suggest it.

Sorry to hear about the chewing-gum grade components, that, at least, is consigned to history IME - this and the quartz watch I have are very much better than that.

---

It's a damn shame they persist with spurious claims, but then perhaps they have sold some pieces to individuals in such professions, and are stretching the point off the back of it.

Master
    Impressive customer service. And I might take a look at MWC now.

Alongside Bulova and our host’s Smiths Seafire, MWC is one of the very few brands to offer a quartz movement with sweeping seconds.

Unbelievable service, great to hear about it with so many opposite stories of service around great result OP

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice

The chronograph models have this feature

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    Impressive customer service. And I might take a look at MWC now.

Alongside Bulova and our host’s Smiths Seafire, MWC is one of the very few brands to offer a quartz movement with sweeping seconds.
    I was looking at one of the chronographs which has this feature of the sweep seconds and also has the flyback timing hand like a mechanical but it actually uses a hybrid quartz / mechanical movement. The trouble is I have about eight or nine watches I use among them 2 x CWC, 1 x Marathon, 2 x MWC and one Precista plus a Breitling and other odds and ends so I suppose the big question is how many watches does one guy need :-)
    Last edited by johnty4; 8th December 2020 at 08:06. Reason: Spelling errors

Master

Question

Replace MWC with Rolex and imagine the thread outrage.

What it really says to me is they’re distributors for watches made elsewhere (do you think they’re unable to do simple repairs and just sent a new watch?)

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post

What it really says to me is they’re distributors for watches made elsewhere
    (do you think they’re unable to do simple repairs and just sent a new watch?)
    Do you mean like Rolex were, until a few years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post

What it really says to me is they’re distributors for watches made elsewhere (do you think they’re unable to do simple repairs and just sent a new watch?)
    Nobody said they were unable. Replacing a bezel is hardly a technically-challenging job! They chose not to presumably for reasons of expediency, and undertook the work FOC - can you imagine Rolex doing that, and not instead blaming the customer and charging half the new cost of the watch for the privilege?

And so what if they are "distributors" in a sense? To differing extents most brands are at best assembling parts made by others.

These are cheap watches, only a halfwit would imagine they were being scratch-built in a Swiss chalet by wizened master-craftsmen...

Great customer service, whatever their motive.

(But if my watches are not fashioned from Unobtainium in a Swiss mountain chalet, then I am not interested. I feel honoured to pay many many hundreds of pounds for unnecessary servicing, as it shows I appreciate the dark art of watch manufacturing.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    ... But if my watches are not fashioned from Unobtainium in a Swiss mountain chalet, then I am not interested. I feel honoured to pay many many hundreds of pounds for unnecessary servicing, as it shows I appreciate the dark art of watch manufacturing. ...
    Quite right too, old chap! Feel a little ashamed of myself now to be quite honest...