closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: MasterChef: The Professionals 2020

MasterChef: The Professionals 2020

Previous iterations of this programme have always got me thinking that I could do some of this - in the early rounds. This year the contestants are out of this World, particularly David and Victor and I'll stick with my fish finger sandwiches!

I'm just about to watch it on catch up, so it will be a pleasant change not to have a series of no hopers with the rare person who can actually cook.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Agreed. Really impressive contestants. In years past the pros were often extremely disappointing in the early rounds. Not so this year, at least for the 8 chefs I saw this week.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

**** SPOILER ****

Plenty of talent in those first semi-finalists, I was hoping that both Victor and Philly would be given places as there was nothing (IMO) to seperate them and it would have been cruel to have sent either home. David appears to have the edge so far however it's Philly's food I'd choose to eat over the other two simply because of her Asian style.

Master
    Phillys a nutter but food is good and glad she went through

Master
    Dave is a level above the others. His experience really shows through his calm and steady approach, cohesively designed dishes, and sophistication.
    But Victor is just fantastic - in particular for his age (25) - he shows a broad and impressive understanding of ingredients and techniques. I love his calm but willing-to-adapt approach and attitude too. I think he has a great future ahead!
    Philly - annoys me. I think she's been lucky more than anything else, and she overuses too many pre-made sauces: Gochujang is bought off the shelf, Chiu-Chow chilli is bought off the shelf, and her use of black beans, soy, tahini is not original. But Marcus and Monica seem to turn a blind eye to this - maybe because Asian cooking is not their forte. I was mildly surprised that Philly got through as Victor has been consistently better...
    Masterchef is a lot of fun but not for the shy. I competed on it almost 11 years ago with the missus (who is a trained prof chef).

Well I've watched two episodes back to back. Dave and Victor are clearly excellent. I would also enjoy eating Phillie's food but I agree she got lucky with her chocolate thing. However, I like the mixture of her flavours, bowing of course to the superior knowledge of our TZUK former contestant.

This the only version of MasterChef I watch, as I cannot stand the jowly Antipodean.
    David

Love this show - Victor for me is showing the most potential. Dave not far off

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Masterchef is a lot of fun but not for the shy. I competed on it almost 11 years ago with the missus (who is a trained prof chef).
    That’s quite impressive. How did you get on?

Master
    I never got on with UK masterchef - there's a ton of Oz masterchefs on Prime which are fantastic watching - long though with 60+ episodes per season (if you include the masterclasses).

Craftsman
    Went to Simpsons a few years back and the winner (I believe) of the most recent series was working in the kitchen. People kept asking to speak to him, was dead cringey.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    That’s quite impressive. How did you get on?
    Back then it was quite amateur really, and certainly before the series exploded in popularity. John Torode was annoying back then as he is ignorant now (very). But the pressure is real! The invention test was where you get the brainfreeze. You get to see the mystery ingredients before the stopwatch (and cameras) start, and you are then kept in a waiting room for about 3-4 minutes before the cameras roll. Those couple of minutes are tense moments - the challenge is that you are overwhelmed with the variety of ingredients as so many possibilities run through your mind. Trying to pick a limited selection from what you saw in 3-4 minutes, think of the prep and recipe that is doable in time, and to have to start on the instant in front of rolling cameras was the most pressuring moment. Imagine trying to prep dinner for friends you want to impress with a surprise list of ingredients - and you are given literally 1 hour to do it from surprise to serve...

The other challenge is that the cooking space and equipment may not be what you are used to cooking on/with. Back then we had to use their provided utensils which was a nightmare as familiarity with your tools and workspace is key to efficiency. Nowadays I think they allow the contestants to use their own equipment, but the workspaces will still be different and whether you use gas or induction etc.

Anyways, it was great fun. The stopwatch is real. The cameras rolling in your face are a distraction especially as Torode came round and asked, "so what are you cooking for us today?"... I thought to myself - should I let the missus win or shall I be doing the dishes from now on?! :D Thankfully, I got eliminated, but so did she. It was huge fun and would recommend anyone keen on cooking to apply. Masterchef Pro is the only series we seem to continually watch - great entertainment.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Back then it was quite amateur really, and certainly before the series exploded in popularity. John Torode was annoying back then as he is ignorant now (very). But the pressure is real! The invention test was where you get the brainfreeze. You get to see the mystery ingredients before the stopwatch (and cameras) start, and you are then kept in a waiting room for about 3-4 minutes before the cameras roll. Those couple of minutes are tense moments - the challenge is that you are overwhelmed with the variety of ingredients as so many possibilities run through your mind. Trying to pick a limited selection from what you saw in 3-4 minutes, think of the prep and recipe that is doable in time, and to have to start on the instant in front of rolling cameras was the most pressuring moment. Imagine trying to prep dinner for friends you want to impress with a surprise list of ingredients - and you are given literally 1 hour to do it from surprise to serve...

The other challenge is that the cooking space and equipment may not be what you are used to cooking on/with. Back then we had to use their provided utensils which was a nightmare as familiarity with your tools and workspace is key to efficiency. Nowadays I think they allow the contestants to use their own equipment, but the workspaces will still be different and whether you use gas or induction etc.

Anyways, it was great fun. The stopwatch is real. The cameras rolling in your face are a distraction especially as Torode came round and asked, "so what are you cooking for us today?"... I thought to myself - should I let the missus win or shall I be doing the dishes from now on?! :D Thankfully, I got eliminated, but so did she. It was huge fun and would recommend anyone keen on cooking to apply. Masterchef Pro is the only series we seem to continually watch - great entertainment.
    Interesting that. Were you together beforehand or did you start seeing each other whilst filming the show?

Master
    Interesting insight, can imagine those few minutes of pure stress working it through.

Am very much enjoying this series, watched the 2 back to back. Philly seems one to watch, although the one way ticket story makes me cringe a little, her accent suggests much greater parental support, but that’s not what the show is about.

Looking forward to see this series play out. Some real talent this year. Only but I don’t like is one chef watching on camera, seems strange.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinese_Alan View Post
    Interesting that. Were you together beforehand or did you start seeing each other whilst filming the show?
    We were all together beforehand, and it was only then that there was lots of convo and chit chat. Once we saw the ingredients during those few minutes, you could cut the air with a knife!

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Looking forward to see this series play out. Some real talent this year. Only but I don’t like is one chef watching on camera, seems strange.
    It seems to be following on the questionable Youtube trend of the likes of 'Uncle Roger' or Gordon Ramsay. At least coming From Monica/Marcus, it does provide some interesting insight to where the contestant chef is going wrong/right without taking the mick.

Ross this evening was excellent and, IMHO, Santosh deserved the place. However, I believe he's going to struggle against some of the previous chefs. Enjoying this series.

This evening's quarter-final should be interesting - some really talented individuals.

Odd episode last night. Contestant edited out of the show, no reason given.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by eletos View Post
    Odd episode last night. Contestant edited out of the show, no reason given.
    Why edited out? Isn't it possible that he tested positive just before the start, for example?
    (sorry if I am misunderstanding "edited out": to me, it would mean that he was there but his segments were removed.)

Reason unknown, 4th contestant digitally removed from opening sequence and then cleverly edited out the show.

Interesting, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Why edited out? Isn't it possible that he tested positive just before the start, for example?
    (sorry if I am misunderstanding "edited out": to me, it would mean that he was there but his segments were removed.)
    The rumours are either that he “borrowed” a recipe that belonged to his employer, or that he told Marcus to go f*** himself.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ej86 View Post
    The rumours are either that he “borrowed” a recipe that belonged to his employer, or that he told Marcus to go f*** himself.
    The go f*** himself was Masterchef Australia- no reason given but plenty of rumours

Master
    I’d missed the note at the start of the program, found it weird the distancing at the start, but amazed that was digitally edited.

Scary what can be done!

Love to know why they were removed.

I know speculation is always more fun than facts, but unfortunately there’s no exciting back story here, the contributor that was edited out just decided at a very late stage that they didn’t want to be involved in the show. An odd desicion, as they’d done quite well, but not won. Production must have decided it was easier to edit the, out than go through the legal hurdles to enforce the contract.

Master
    Damn that was far less exciting than the conspiracies flying about.

I’ve watched the 3 walking many times over & still cannot spot it has been tampered with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post

I’ve watched the 3 walking many times over & still cannot spot it has been tampered with.

There seems to a little flicker of white on the wall for a split second as they are walking.

Bit of a mundane reason for erasing the contestant though!

Master
    Damn it, going to have to watch it again now!

Craftsman
    “Grilling” in a pan is as new one on me!

Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post
    “Grilling” in a pan is as new one on me!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grilling

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    Beat me to it!

The first of the semi-finals this evening. Stunning standard and I'm sure very difficult to send Luke home. Philli and Bart would be my picks from that semi-final for dishes I'd choose in a restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    The first of the semi-finals this evening. Stunning standard and I'm sure very difficult to send Luke home. Philli and Bart would be my picks from that semi-final for dishes I'd choose in a restaurant.
    Yes indeed, I'd agree with you there. The youngster, is full of the "I want this so bad" chat which becomes (Marcus) wearing, very quickly. His food after the lesson from Chef Islam, didn't look the best or go down well, although he did improve on the cook-off.

I'm looking forward to seeing Santosh and Dave again.
    David

The quality of the chefs this year does seem to be very high. The tiny differences between them makes the judging very difficult, unless someone had a bad day in the kitchen.
    Very tight last night, but think they made the right decision - by the smallest of margins.

Santosh or Bart for the win!
    David

So pleased to see my two favourites in the final. Anyone can win it though, Philli and the lad could easily do it too.
    David

Master
    Such a high level of talent this year, really impressive but think Bart will come out on top.

Disappointed to see Philli exit but it was the correct decision given the performances shown this evening. Santosh knocked it out of the park tonight. I'm really struggling to see who will win this and guess it will come down to whoever doesn't make a mistake in the final. Truly talented bunch this year.

Master
    Santosh’s food has been just sublime and even the judges admit not to having ever tasted food like it before. His final dish tonight coupled with his story behind it was really good enough to win a final.
    A very humble man cooking from his heart and I do hope he goes on to win the trophy even though the final 3 this year are possibly the strongest set of chefs to reach the Masterchef final.

SPOILER ALERT:

They were all three excellent chefs but I was sorry that neither of my favourites won. I'd love to eat Bart's food but for me Santosh was the star of the series and I'm sure he has an even greater future ahead of him, to surpass his already phenomenal achievements.
    David

Master
    The correct choice for me.
    Would have been okay with any of them winning.
    Marcus had made up his mind though.

We have eaten in square One in Great Dunmow lots of times and didn't know, I bet it will be hard to get a table now (no covid pun intended)

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    SPOILER ALERT:

They were all three excellent chefs but I was sorry that neither of my favourites won. I'd love to eat Bart's food but for me Santosh was the star of the series and I'm sure he has an even greater future ahead of him, to surpass his already phenomenal achievements.
    It's an issue of how the format is - Alex deserved to win, but I'd want to be eating Bart's or Santosh's food. Bart's main and dessert were excellent ideas, a little more innovative than Alex, but cannot fault Alex's execution. Santosh just gave himself far too much to do - 3 mini starters was overkill. They all have bright futures.

I've just caught up with the final via iPlayer as working late last night. All three finalists clearly impressed but Alex made no mistakes and blew away the judges with not a single negative comment. Amazing standard this year and I believe the final 4 (finalists plus Philli) have a huge future. I'd happily pay good money to eat in any of their restaurants and will actively look to do so when circumstances permit.

I’m very pleased he won and I’m very pleased to have eaten in Square 1 at Dunmow before now. Well deserved and I wish him all the success he deserves. Nice to add to the local talent and fame without the usual TOWIE dregs.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Santosh or Bart for the win!
    No doubt Alex did well but of the three I’d be making a bee line to either Bart or Santosh if they have their own restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    No doubt Alex did well but of the three I’d be making a bee line to either Bart or Santosh if they have their own restaurants.
    Agreed. It's great that Alex won because it's a formidable step for a young and very talented chef. Getting the kind of mortgages/business loans for a new restaurant when you are 25 is very hard, and winning MC probably helps (even if the context is hardly favourable).

I am not sure Bart will choose to go down the restaurant route, but I hope he will let us know when he does.

Craftsman
    After the semis I was sure Santosh was going to win but then he went and blew it. Still rate him overall as the best out of the finalists, but they had to judge the final purely on what was produced on the day.