closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Looking for some help on a value

Looking for some help on a value

Hi Everyone.

I am looking for a bit of help on behalf of my brother. Firstly, this isn’t a stealth sale. My brother has a vintage Rolex Explorer 5500 from 1965 which he is looking to sell (he is looking to purchase an Explorer 1 and explorer 2). He has been offered between £10-12,000 by a local Jeweller (just waiting for a final figure) but I said I would reach out and ask on here if anyone has had any dealing or any idea what it may be worth? Also if anyone knows of any vintage watch dealers that they could recommend that would be amazing. I have attached some photos. He has the box and papers.

ECB20195-67A2-4F04-98E8-FA7822FD91CA by James Buckland, on Flickr

82FA3872-4F93-42E1-BB4E-6431CA8844CB by James Buckland, on Flickr

89132205-F784-44EC-80DB-C4A9F39D1FC7 by James Buckland, on Flickr

Master

Master
    Try getting some other quotes from the likes of Blowers. Avoid Watchfinder.

It won’t be worth as much as its 36mm brother, but a great watch nonetheless.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Why the popcorn? Just looking to stir again like your post on the new sub thread?

I told James to post it here as there is some excellent knowledge and help. I know his brother (who is an NHS nurse in a hospital and very busy right now) and he just wants to know what a fair value is of his watch. As he said, not a stealth sales post.

5% discount too!

I’d be inclined to contact either Haywood Milton or Mike Wood as, with box and papers, it may be something they would be interested in to add to their collections.

I’ve no idea on the value though.

Edit to add, WF have one on a bracelet for £7200 but no papers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    5% discount too!

I’d be inclined to contact either Haywood Milton or Mike Wood as, with box and papers, it may be something they would be interested in to add to their collections.

I’ve no idea on the value though.

Edit to add, WF have one on a bracelet for £7200 but no papers.
    Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Strong offer from the local jeweller. Wonder where they will actually fix their final offer, though....

5500 Explorer market is dogged by ill-informed commentators and detractors and they are also a little small for modern tastes. Lots of former 5500 Air-Kings with redials, of course.

H

I’m quite surprised at how generous the offer on the table is. I would have thought half of the top end would have been a ought right.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Strong offer from the local jeweller. Wonder where they will actually fix their final offer, though....

5500 Explorer market is dogged by ill-informed commentators and detractors and they are also a little small for modern tastes. Lots of former 5500 Air-Kings with redials, of course.

H
    Thanks. I’ve not looked into the price too much myself. He seems to think there are some selling for £15-20k but whether that is true I don’t know. He is supposed to be hearing back tomorrow from the jeweller tomorrow and I wanted him to have an idea of how good any offer he was given was.

I think it is a very good offer......I would be inclined to take their arm off!!! All I would say though is that it is a shame to let that watch go - nice example. I briefly owned the fairly rare 36 mm version (I think it was the 5504) produced for a limited period in the late 1950s. Nice watches.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody74 View Post
    I think it is a very good offer......I would be inclined to take their arm off!!! All I would say though is that it is a shame to let that watch go - nice example. I briefly owned the fairly rare 36 mm version (I think it was the 5504) produced for a limited period in the late 1950s. Nice watches.
    This ^^^

If that was their final offer, I wouldn’t hesitate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucko View Post
    Thanks. I’ve not looked into the price too much myself. He seems to think there are some selling for £15-20k but whether that is true I don’t know. He is supposed to be hearing back tomorrow from the jeweller tomorrow and I wanted him to have an idea of how good any offer he was given was.

Are they confusing it with a 1016 Explorer I wonder?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Why the popcorn? Just looking to stir again like your post on the new sub thread?

I told James to post it here as there is some excellent knowledge and help. I know his brother (who is an NHS nurse in a hospital and very busy right now) and he just wants to know what a fair value is of his watch. As he said, not a stealth sales post.
    Ok, I’’ll bite.. what did I say on the new sub thread that caused a stir. I’’ve just checked and I asked the seller about the characteristics of the watch, no negative comment.

And the popcorn is a reference to watching with other interest given the recent plethora of comments about Rolex and threads descending.

I don’t know you, so far as I know, but if you’’d like to PM a whatsapp number I’’m happy to call you and you can explain what you’’ve taken exception to.
    Last edited by joe narvey; 12th November 2020 at 16:44. Reason: Typos

Sorry, nothing of useful to contribute but bloody hell that is the nicest watch I have seen in ages.

(I seem to remember that the line under the Super Precision is significant? Rolex being Rolex it probably means the watch is either worth x10 or 1/10th of the value without the line! I have no idea. If it belonged to my brother I would probably kill him for it and then be killed in turn by my other brother.)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Ok, I’’ll bite.. what did I say on the new sub thread that caused a stir. I’’ve just checked and I asked the seller about the characteristics of the watch, no negative comment.

And the popcorn is a reference to watching with other interest given the recent plethora of comments about Rolex and threads descending.

I don’t know you, so far as I know, but if you’’d like to PM a whatsapp number I’’m happy to call you and you can explain what you’’ve taken exception to.
    Someone is selling a watch and you comment ‘Curious if any of the features of the new model are not well received’ on his sales thread - what did you expect him to reply to that on a watch he’s selling? That’s rhetorical by the way. You could have just sent him a PM. After all this is a Rolex sales and you’d know exactly how they have gone lately.

As to the popcorn comment, you’re hardly going to reply saying that you’re admitting to stoking things up, but we all know what popcorn symbol on here is about. Act the innocent, that’s fine. I have no desire to speak to you to hear you deny what your posts come over to me as. Anyway fella have a good day!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Someone is selling a watch and you comment ‘Curious if any of the features of the new model are not well received’ on his sales thread - what did you expect him to reply to that on a watch he’s selling? That’s rhetorical by the way. You could have just sent him a PM. After all this is a Rolex sales and you’d know exactly how they have gone lately.

As to the popcorn comment, you’re hardly going to reply saying that you’re admitting to stoking things up, but we all know what popcorn symbol on here is about. Act the innocent, that’s fine. I have no desire to speak to you to hear you deny what your posts come over to me as. Anyway fella have a good day!
    Genuinely surprised by your posts, but okay.

There's one on Chrono24 (Super Precision Underline) from 1964 with box but no papers £22.890.00 from Italy look's to be in excellent condition tho.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Sorry, nothing of useful to contribute but bloody hell that is the nicest watch I have seen in ages.

(I seem to remember that the line under the Super Precision is significant? Rolex being Rolex it probably means the watch is either worth x10 or 1/10th of the value without the line! I have no idea. If it belonged to my brother I would probably kill him for it and then be killed in turn by my other brother.)
    I’ve got a feeling you are right about the Super Precision ha I BFF a significance. I think that adds value (but don’t ask me why ?)

Is there any update on this?