closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bye UK - off to the Cayman Islands!

Master

Bye UK - off to the Cayman Islands!

Bit of a life update - we're moving to the Cayman Islands at the start of April!

Doesn't look like there's much of a watch scene, per se, although there's obviously a lot of cash there and Miami will be on our doorstep (plus a reduced import rate on watches, and the US market, will make for a nice outlet for my hard-earned!).

Anyone lived there or been?

Dived there a few times, wrt watches look up Kirk Freeport Plaza.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I've been there diving and for a holiday, most American Caribbean Island I've ever been too, just felt like the States.

Sounds lovely. An ex was born there, but I’ve never been.

Good luck with the move.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    I've been there diving and for a holiday, most American Caribbean Island I've ever been too, just felt like the States.
    Try Aruba also, more Americans than locals there :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ddm27 View Post
    Bit of a life update - we're moving to the Cayman Islands at the start of April!

Doesn't look like there's much of a watch scene, per se, although there's obviously a lot of cash there and Miami will be on our doorstep (plus a reduced import rate on watches, and the US market, will make for a nice outlet for my hard-earned!).

Sounds like an exciting change, i imagine a fair few members will be thinking, git..........

Master
    I’ve been to Hell :-)

Long time ago I went, had a great time.

Enjoy your new life. Should be great.

like summer even in winter

Master
    I forgot to say, on one of the Rolex FB groups a poster from GC has a few times said the AD there has quite good stock lately as tourists haven’t been travelling there lately (sure there was a sub in one of his photos). Cruise ships being a big one I guess.

Out of interest what have you lined up there? Work I’m guessing?

Blog Entries
    Well done escaping the UK. Don’t forget us!

Financial services?

A chap working in my business had lived and worked there for many years and ended up going back there. Presumably Malta and the IoM presented too much hustle and bustle...

Remember folks, living and working on “holiday islands” isn’t the same thing as spending a week by the pool. Although I’m sure there's enough positive contributors to a good quality of life.

I lived there for a year but that was back in 1990/91, so not going to have any current information and all the people I stayed in touch with were forced to leave after the hurricane in 2004(?). I was working for a bank but that was just a brass-plate operation which gave me time me do to what I'd really gone out there for which was diving. I ended up taking a part-time job as a divemaster with a local operation to get free dives and had just the best year ever.

I think these points are still relative though:

Make sure you've negotiated a good package as the cost of living is sky-high. There's no income tax as you probably know, but no free health service either, so make sure medical cover is part of your package.

When looking for an apartment, try to stay away from places which have a lot of holiday lets. Visit the places at night first. First week it's great when you get woken up by American babes skinny-dipping in the pool, but after that, constant partying whilst you're working isn't much fun. I spend my first month in Treasure Island (if that's still there) and was party central. Ended up at Oceanside Plantation at the top of 7 Mile Beach. Anywhere near 7 Mile Beach will be premium rental.

You'll need a car, even if it's for shopping. Don't spend too much as you may find it hard to sell when you leave.

Depending on your interests, try and get involved with an ex-pat type club. I was in the local British Sub Aqua Club branch and got to meet loads of people outside my office world. They were always doing social events and you got to meet people such as dentists, pool guys etc who always knew someone who could help you if stuck. Really helps you settle in.

Take some warm clothes as offices are all air-conditioned and were often a bit on the chilly side (sounds daft eh?)

Miami is great and I ended up on a friend's stag weekend there, but that was the only time I visited. You can (or could) fly to loads of other places around the Caribbean pretty cheaply, which I what I did for a few short breaks.

Lastly, if you are planning to return to the UK, take tax advice on repatriating monies earned outside the UK (Draftsman might be able to help you here). If possible, get this advice paid for as part of your moving expenses.

I was actually thinking of going back next year for a dive trip but not how active the local dive club is these days. You'll have great time though. I always felt safe there and although it's very American, there is still a British vibe to the place.

Visited twice purely for diving in the late 90s early 2000s. If you don't dive learn, it's (or was) spectacular even though my main interest in diving was wreck identification. Enjoy the adventure.

I used to visit weekly for a few years in the 90s when I worked on cruise ships. It certainly is a lovely island though relative to the rest of the Caribbean it feels very small and quite crowded after a while - primarily due to the 10,000 cruise passenger day trippers! The diving is rather special, and if you haven't tried it then you really should. The weather is so consistent many folk end up missing the seasons, but its definitely something that everyone should do in life - it'll give you different perspectives and an appreciation of new aspects of life. Enjoy!

Some photos from out there.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ddm27 View Post

Never been there, but it sounds amazing (especially if you dive) - have a great time, Dan

ATB

Jon

Sounds idyllic but I always remember working with a colleague in London who had spent 3 years with the Bank of Bermuda previously.

I marveled at why she would move back to London and she remarked that Bermuda was lovely for the first few months, but then got very boring (especially in the winter months) and by the end of 3 years they'd had enough!

I'm pretty sure, though, I could enjoy living somewhere like that for a while, being an avid SCUBA diver

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

What a wonderful opportunity - enjoy every minute of it!

Fair play for having the bottle to make such a move. Many dream of it and when in a position to do it, don’t.

Good luck.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Fair play for having the bottle to make such a move. Many dream of it and when in a position to do it, don’t.

Good luck.
    Precisely and they they spend the rest of their life having a good moan about being skint etc. The simple truth is that we are all the architechs of our own fortunes and the OP deserves to do well and I wish him good luck.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Sounds idyllic but I always remember working with a colleague in London who had spent 3 years with the Bank of Bermuda previously.

I marveled at why she would move back to London and she remarked that Bermuda was lovely for the first few months, but then got very boring (especially in the winter months) and by the end of 3 years they'd had enough!

I'm pretty sure, though, I could enjoy living somewhere like that for a while, being an avid SCUBA diver

M
    It must be an island thing. I have friends who lived and worked in the Seychelles, on Mahe. Even on a 2 week trip you could see that, once you got past the scenery, there wasn't really a lot to do and the whole expat thing rather revolved around drinking! Everything was expensive as it was literally 1000 km from anywhere. Living there rather than being on holiday would sometimes be quite trying.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    It must be an island thing. I have friends who lived and worked in the Seychelles, on Mahe. Even on a 2 week trip you could see that, once you got past the scenery, there wasn't really a lot to do and the whole expat thing rather revolved around drinking! Everything was expensive as it was literally 1000 km from anywhere. Living there rather than being on holiday would sometimes be quite trying.
    Isn't that the same of all ex pat communities in warm places?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    It must be an island thing. I have friends who lived and worked in the Seychelles, on Mahe. Even on a 2 week trip you could see that, once you got past the scenery, there wasn't really a lot to do...
    Yes, Maldives was the same (although it's not really an ex-pat destination).

I did a 10 day liveaboard dive trip there which was fantastic for a diver, but on the few occasions we were near islands it was clear there really wasn't much to do, but snorkel, eat, drink, read and sunbathe.

I know that's a lot of people's idea of heaven, but not mine.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Looking forwards to lots of diving themed underwater watch photos!

Watch out for the sharks and the giant centipedes and spiders :-)

In all seriousness, congrats & best of luck!

Sounds wonderful, the fishing I would get in around the work would be incredible..

Good luck and keep logging in to show us what we're missing in rainy old Blighty..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I forgot to say, on one of the Rolex FB groups a poster from GC has a few times said the AD there has quite good stock lately as tourists haven’t been travelling there lately (sure there was a sub in one of his photos). Cruise ships being a big one I guess.

Out of interest what have you lined up there? Work I’m guessing?
    Oooh, that's interesting - we'll have to see!!

That's right, new job and a new life!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Financial services?

A chap working in my business had lived and worked there for many years and ended up going back there. Presumably Malta and the IoM presented too much hustle and bustle...

Remember folks, living and working on “holiday islands” isn’t the same thing as spending a week by the pool. Although I’m sure there's enough positive contributors to a good quality of life.
    Law! The other industry over there, haha!

We're no strangers to expat life - we were in Singapore for three years previously. Miss it terribly but Cayman looks gorgeous.

Master
    I was aware of the good diving, but judging by these comments it's a must-do! I've never dived before but it's at the top of my list of things to learn (after losing the lockdown weight....)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    Never been there, but it sounds amazing (especially if you dive) - have a great time, Dan

ATB

Jon
    THanks mate!