closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Benrus Type I reissue

Journeyman

Benrus Type I reissue

https://shop.hodinkee.com/products/b...32924350578763

https://www.benrus.com/pages/type-i

I like it but I’m not fan of the aluminum bezel insert.
    The original have a translucent bezel insert with the printing on the underside. This creates a very specific visual effect that is missing on this reissue.
    Last edited by Mamaw; 11th November 2020 at 19:57.

I love it and the insert doesn't bother me. However it's double the price of the MKII:

http://boutique.mkiiwatches.com/read...ive-gen-3.html

Master
    Was just going to post this.

https://www.benrus.com/pages/type-i

Love these watches.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I love it and the insert doesn't bother me. However it's double the price of the MKII:

http://boutique.mkiiwatches.com/read...ive-gen-3.html
    I was going to say that, I know which I would rather have (with lumed bezel)

The MKIIs I've had have been outstanding so I'd rather go with them too. No date and dive insert:

http://boutique.mkiiwatches.com/read...ive-inlay.html

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I was going to say that, I know which I would rather have (with lumed bezel)

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    The MKIIs I've had have been outstanding so I'd rather go with them too. No date and dive insert:

http://boutique.mkiiwatches.com/read...ive-inlay.html
    I can't fault the 2 MkIIs I have and I hope to have a one of their Tornek Rayville in the future.

(I am hoping that Marathon reintroduce a steel cased navigator ADANAC soon as this will scratch this itch. It would be even better with conventional lume and not tritium tubes)

Journeyman
    Correct me if I’m wrong but I think the MKII is bigger. This Benrus is the original size which I prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamaw View Post
    Correct me if I’m wrong but I think the MKII is bigger. This Benrus is the original size which I prefer.
    According to the specs on both websites the Benrus is 1mm wider 42.5 vs 41.5mm

it almost brings tears to my eyes thinking about the numerous (x5 i think) I have almost bought an original over the years but thought 'nah i will pick one up later'
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 11th November 2020 at 17:04.

Journeyman
    Hum, I'm not sure I see some conflicting information.

The MKII 41,25 mm is the bezel diameter and the case length (lug to lug) is 49,5 mm

An original is about 43 mm case diameter including the crown and the case length is 47,5 mm. The bezel diameter is more like 39 mm.

If the reissue is a 1 to 1 reproduction (to be confirmed) I’m afraid that the MKII is a lot bigger.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamaw View Post
    Hum, I'm not sure I see some conflicting information.

The MKII 41,25 mm is the bezel diameter and the case length (lug to lug) is 49,5 mm

An original is about 43 mm case diameter including the crown and the case length is 47,5 mm. The bezel diameter is more like 39 mm.

If the reissue is a 1 to 1 reproduction (to be confirmed) I’m afraid that the MKII is a lot bigger.
    You are correct. I have a "Ready To Wear" Paradive & it is noticeably larger (the case diameter including the crown is 45mm) than my original Type II & the new Benrus reissue, which has the same lug-to-lug length as the originals (though a bit wider case diameter to account for the slight increase in the lug width from 19.5mm to 20mm). The Dagaz CAV-1 was also close in dimensions to the original Benrus.

Journeyman
    Yes, I saw comparative pictures of the two watches on watchuseek and the difference is pretty substantial.
    I’m very happy that they have decided to stick with the original size.
    I love the seamless curvature between the crystal and the bezel on the Benrus.

Journeyman
    I finally decided to buy one.
    I was already familiar with the design and how the watch was wearing that I couldn’t pass on this one.
    I’m very happy they decided to stick with the original size because this watch wear so well on a small wrist.
    Mine is 6.5” / 16,5 cm and it wear perfect. It is on one of Timefactor NATO which is a perfect match in my opinion with the bead blasted material and the angular keepers that go so well with the sharp design of the watch.

calligraphie clavier

calligraphie clavier

Love the domed crystal that sit almost seamless with the bezel angle.
    The dial is not a pitch black but more of a dark grey with very white lume application. Surprisingly the lume application on the hands set is a little bit grey. I don’t know if this is on purpose but I like it because it add a little bit of definition on this hands set.
    The lume is applied in the same way as the original with one rectangle on the hours hand and two rectangle on the minutes hand.
    The bezel insert on the other hand is pitch black with engraved (very) white numerals. At first glance the engraving is not very apparent at least with my not so young eyes but it is here for sure.
    Overall very happy, this thing look and wear so well and is certainly a keeper for now.

But it is perfect? Absolutely not.

Did you see a mention of the two pieces strap? No because it is unusable for my wrist size, there is simply not enough holes in the strap. On the last one I can rotate the watch completely around my wrist...

calligraphie clavier

It’s a shame because this watch work so well with smaller wrist and I consider this a design flaws.
    For bigger wrist no doubt the strap is nice, thick and comfortable. The case work very well with a two pieces strap. Buckle and keepers are unfortunately brushed and not bead blasted, a little missed opportunity here.

The bead blasted finish is nice and certainly the more practical choice but in comparison with my original Benrus field watch from the sixties this is not exactly the same look. There is something different in the apparence of the parkerised steel used at the time.

The tip of the second hand don’t look right to me but maybe there was different variations of the design on the original I’m not sure.

I know from a video I saw that Benrus wanted specifically to put an ETA in this limited edition. But this ETA is a 2681, a small size movement (less than 20 mm diameter) and certainly not a movement I’m familiar with. Is this a good choice, reliable, current production or legacy NOS ? My knowledge is limited and maybe some other people have the answer to my interrogations.

The aluminum bezel insert is great and all but maybe there was a better solution to reproduce the original look, a translucent plastic material with the printing on the under side. A sapphire insert printed on the under side maybe?

I have also gathered some interesting informations from the same video.
    - There is a type 2 in the work
    - In the future there will be non limited edition with some differences like other movement and non engraved case back.
    - The guy from Benrus suggested a possible reissue of their military field watch
    Last edited by Mamaw; 22nd November 2020 at 17:25.

The original so much better. They should of did a better job on the bezel ring. That was made with acrylic and had a 3D effect on the numbers.

Journeyman
    Absolutely love these, but alas too much money for my pockets. Agree with the translucent bezel being better - Benrus are being lazy in not replicating this.

The owner of the Benrus watch company does seem to be doing his best to ensure his customers are happy. A number of buyers over at MWR have returned the watch with QC issues.
    Fair play to the owner he has stepped in and ensured the issues are resolved, this means the buyers are not dealing with the retailer but the company owner.
    Whilst that are expensive at least there seems to be some support once the transaction is complete.

I could really like this Benrus Field Watch, except for three things:

• The multi-colored stars on the dial
    • the tiny date window (nix the date!)
    • 41mm case diameter

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I could really like this Benrus Field Watch, except for three things:

• The multi-colored stars on the dial
    • the tiny date window (nix the date!)
    • 41mm case diameter

I may be wrong but think they are doing a reissue that will be much more sympathetic to the original.

Mines original but it's a great watch when reproduced well, as said, the dome crystal blends with the bezel angle really well. Love the dull finish and stark dial - very purposeful.

Apprentice

Cool Benrus reissue Crown tube thread question

Does the crown tube use internal threads like the old models of the Swiss Ollech & Wajs watches?