closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Daytona 116528 valuation help

Rolex Daytona 116528 valuation help

A friends father has asked me about how much his Daytona is worth.

I know naff all about Rolex but know plenty on here do.

Not a thinly disguised sales thread, it's not my watch, he's not a member here but we're looking for some advice.

I've tried watchfinder but they are asking for an expected value. Mappin and Webb were trying to buy it for £16000 ish but he feels that is low.

2006 Yellow gold MOP & Diamond dial
    Boxed with papers

To my eyes it could do with a polish but that's the nature of gold I guess.
    Not sure of service history but he says it's running bang on.

Total of 11 links in the bracelet plus the end links if that is a factor.

Offered him a straight trade against my Damasko DSub but no dice

Any info/help would be much appreciated

Last edited by acg; 11th November 2020 at 14:11.

Apart from the obvious of checking out Chrono 24 and the main dealer sites, I can say you rarely see a gold Daytona complete with bracelet below £25k these days and if the dial is a genuine Rolex dial that must be worth £1,500 or so.

I'm guessing £25k to £30k - perhaps somewhere in the middle, but I'm sure someone who knows will be along soon.

Very nice watch

In my opinion, go back on the Watchfinder site and whack in an 'expected value' of £30k, in my experience it makes no difference to what they offer.

Again, only my opinion but it might not be the easiest watch to sell privately so a reasonable trade offer of anything over £20/£22k-ish even, might be the easiest way forward?

I would stress that these are only my 'gut reaction values' and I have no direct knowledge of these watches nor their values so I could be thousands out though!!

Master
    I keep an eye on these as I really really want one.

(black dial for me please)

It's all the same watches for sale for months\years.

I suppose the 16k bid is for a realistic sales price or that they know they are going to sit on it for a long time.

Blog Entries
    What it is worth and what a dealer would buy it for are different values. Your question was "what is it worth" - I suggest taking it to a valuation service (typically used for insurance purposes) - new for old is £33,150 from the current range if he wanted to replace it. I suggest M&W should take a flying... but I guess they are looking for their 100% markup.

https://www.rolex.com/watches/cosmog...6508-0007.html

Lovely watch! But may add a chunk to the house insurance to get it covered!
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 11th November 2020 at 21:00.

Master
    Demand for big lumps of gold Rolex seems to be a lot stronger now than typically, but the phenomenon appears generally to be pottiest in the South of England.

As it's now sold, perhaps I can usefully link you to this 116528 that I sold about a month ago : https://www.miltonaires.com/product/9050
    It was fresh from Rolex service including a new bezel, but a plain MoP dial without diamonds and the bracelet showed some wear. It aroused plenty of interest but took longer to sell than I expected.

I would expect the watch that is the subject of this thread could get more than the M&W offer, but perhaps not as much as some of the figures mentioned above.

H

Master
    Interesting views from a dealer in luxury watches. Why is a gold Rolex a ‘big lump’. And why the term ‘pottiest’ about customers buying them. All very odd. Do you advise people that buying them is foolish?

Thanks all, I've walked him through it all and left him with a couple of phone numbers and he'll go from there.

I may be back...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Interesting views from a dealer in luxury watches. Why is a gold Rolex a ‘big lump’. And why the term ‘pottiest’ about customers buying them. All very odd. Do you advise people that buying them is foolish?
    Interesting standard of English and level of understanding. Did you go far as a journalist?

Some clients love a big lump of gold Rolex and that need not be a pejorative term. Not all gold Rolex are lumps, nor did I say they were. Some Cellinis are suited to the most feminine of wrists.

The phenomenon is potty from a historical view of the market. You'll see that I did not call customers themselves potty and no, I correctly don't call any buyer of such watches foolish.

I try to write as I find. You may recall that I have written of the glut of DeepSeas, Explorer IIs or Pearlmasters I was sitting on at times, when most dealers would have down-played such stock situations. If every dealer took the party line it would be a boring, even more inflationary market. As a journalist, did you not welcome the counter-point?

Strange chap. I gave you a great deal of my (somewhat precious) time and personal advice when you first joined the forum having bought badly from Watchfinder, but you have returned the favour by trying to needle me many times thereafter. "Who cares what Haywood thinks..." and "I don't care what anyone says, NO-ONE ever knows about Rolex price rises until they are announced" spring to mind.

Be well.
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 12th November 2020 at 14:24.

Master
    Brilliant reply ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Interesting standard of English and level of understanding. Did you go far as a journalist?

Some clients love a big lump of gold Rolex and that need not be a pejorative term. Not all gold Rolex are lumps, nor did I say they were. Some Cellinis are suited to the most feminine of wrists.

The phenomenon is potty from a historical view of the market. You'll see that I did not call customers themselves potty and no, I correctly don't call any buyer of such watches foolish.

I try to write as I find. You may recall that I have written of the glut of DeepSeas, Explorer IIs or Pearlmasters I was sitting on at times, when most dealers would have down-played such stock situations. If every dealer took the party line it would be a boring, even more inflationary market. As a journalist, did you not welcome the counter-point?

Strange chap. I gave you a great deal of my (somewhat precious) time and personal advice when you first joined the forum having bought badly from Watchfinder, but you have returned the favour by trying to needle me many times thereafter. "Who cares what Haywood thinks..." and "I don't care what anyone says, NO-ONE ever knows about Rolex price rises until they are announced" spring to mind.

Be well.

Has he tried selling via Bramley's in Salisbury

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Question: Are you looking for insurance valuation or sale value. I gave a “new for old” price - but value if sold of course will differ - some dealers will sell on a commission basis which could nett you a higher amount of you are willing to wait. I think Blowers do this.

I would imagine by lump he is referring to the weight of these beauties. And by pottiest he would just be meaning - more requested. I wouldn’t look too much into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calm down dear

Our watch "hobby" seems to bring out the VERY best in people but also the worst, strange, it's perhaps a bit of a mixture of envy and jealousy ?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Our watch "hobby" seems to bring out the VERY best in people but also the worst, strange, it's perhaps a bit of a mixture of envy and jealousy ?
    No, just someone getting triggered because they live down south and have a gold Rolex.

To answer a question that has arisen in a reply above...
    I believe Peter rose about as high as possible in the field of journalism overseeing reporting of some defining moments in the last 40 years.
    Utter gentleman to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post

Be well.
    Just say Cellini is a great watch and he will come around:-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    To answer a question that has arisen in a reply above...
    I believe Peter rose about as high as possible in the field of journalism overseeing reporting of some defining moments in the last 40 years.
    Utter gentleman to boot.
    Surely that should be as “low as possible” when referring to journalism. 😂

And having an unnecessary dig at someone who has many times offered free advice from a trade perspective seems a bit churlish to say the least.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 13th November 2020 at 09:09.

... Utter gentleman to boot.
    You're kidding, right? From his post above, he seems like an arse.

Sorry^^^only speaking from experience , where we met up for a couple of hours,shared a chat and a few cups of coffee then did a deal on my Seadweller 50th. I stand by what I said. Total gent.

Craftsman
    Total gent.
    Possibly in person when he’s on his best behaviour trying to conclude a deal, but not necessarily my impression of him via his posts here. Like many a keyboard warrior I’m sure he wouldn’t have the balls to address contributors with the same tone if the discussion was face-to-face.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stelmo01 View Post
    Possibly in person when he’s on his best behaviour trying to conclude a deal, but not necessarily my impression of him via his posts here. Like many a keyboard warrior I’m sure he wouldn’t have the balls to address contributors with the same tone if the discussion was face-to-face.

I'm struggling to think of any genuinely offensive posts from him to be honest.
    This is a historical spat rearing it's head.
    Nothing to see .

Master
    These Rolex threads do get a bit feisty...

Master
    I stand by what I said, which was perfectly reasonable given the phrases used. No-one on a forum is immune to observations from others, and that obviously includes me. But no-one has the right to try to bully others who do express an opinion. Which is all I did.
    Don’t agree...that’s fine, but the inability to tolerate the slightest criticism isn’t. And why are you so obsessed with my job?
    Last edited by paskinner; 14th November 2020 at 16:07.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stelmo01 View Post

Charming. Who’s the ‘keyboard warrior’ here? I’ve yet to meet a TZ member I didn’t enjoy chatting with. We all have the same , slightly daft, interest.
    Last edited by paskinner; 14th November 2020 at 16:21.