closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone know what this is called?

Craftsman

Anyone know what this is called?

I was watching this video:

Patek Philippe Grandmaster Chime Ref. 5175

On YouTube.

Absolute amazeballs.

At 2mins and 14 seconds I saw a tool being used to sand a small part.

I could tell by the way the tool was set up, it would sand the small part flat.

With the abrasive moving on rails, it could only move forwards and backwards, with no danger of rocking upwards and downwards.

Why did this observation get me so excited?

Good question.

You see, in my spare time, I like to make penknives and it's a constant battle to get parts flat, flat, flat.

And I don't have the space, the technical know how, or the money for a surface grinder.

But the tool in the video...

...I can see how such a thing could easily be adapted to sanding blades and backsprings flat, flat, flat.

So...

...In order to further my research into building something similar, it'd really help if I knew the name of this tool, or the accepted words used to describe this watchmaking process.

Can you help?

The video is here: https://youtu.be/yIXPplShtg0?t=134 <-- The link is set to start at 2mins and 14secs where the tool makes an appearence.

And here's a couple of screenshots I took that might be of help:

So...

Do you know what this tool is called?

Or what search term I'd put into Google to bring up lots of photographs of this type of tool so I can getter a better look at it and possibly build something similar?

Many thanks.

Okay, I've got a day off, so I'm going into the shed now to make some more metal dust =)

I’m going to be honest within 20 seconds of the video starting I was so mesmerized I forgot what the question was! Can’t help with your query but appreciate the link - amazing.

I love these videos ...simply amazing craftsmanship

imagine feeling a sneeze coming on.....arghhhh..

If I were contemplating such a task I would be thinking a cross-slide vice under a milling head.
    Am I being naive?

In the trade they call it a custom made thingy that you cant buy in a shop

I have watched many videos on the assembly of different watch Manufacturers, including Patek Philippe, but this one is certainly one of the best.

What an amazing feat of engineering.

Wants me to go out and buy one......................oh wait I haven't got $72,000,000

Fascinating, the precision, tooling, I was taking 3 screws out to replace a kinetic capacitor which was a task!
    That is serious engineering and thanks for posting it.

Master
    I'm always in awe of watchmakers but also the people who design/build the precision milling equipment and CAD programs. Brilliant stuff!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I’m going to be honest within 20 seconds of the video starting I was so mesmerized I forgot what the question was! Can’t help with your query but appreciate the link - amazing.
    Yeah, I hear you. Mesmerising =)

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    If I were contemplating such a task I would be thinking a cross-slide vice under a milling head.
    Am I being naive?
    Nope, not naive at all. I just really liked the simplicity of this tool, and it 'spoke' to me.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    In the trade they call it a custom made thingy that you cant buy in a shop
    LOL. Yeah, I've heard of those =)

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Fascinating, the precision, tooling, I was taking 3 screws out to replace a kinetic capacitor which was a task!
    That is serious engineering and thanks for posting it.
    Yeah, I did the same with my dads Seiko Kinetic and managed to lose one of those screws! Lord only knows how these dudes cope =)

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    I'm always in awe of watchmakers but also the people who design/build the precision milling equipment and CAD programs. Brilliant stuff!
    **Thumbs Up** I agree =)

I guess that really is one of the few occasions that you actually get what you pay for.
    The level of craftsmen ship is astounding.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Looks like some sort of lapping jig. Are you concerned with keeping the faces parallel or just getting one side flat?

You can pick up granite small surface plates for about £80 on the bay.

Craftsman
    Looks potentially like the shapton glass backed water stones is what they are using to lap

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by alzone View Post
    Looks like some sort of lapping jig. Are you concerned with keeping the faces parallel or just getting one side flat?

You can pick up granite small surface plates for about £80 on the bay.
    Yeah, it's all about keeping faces as parallel as possible. You have 3 pieces of metal: a liner - a backspring - a liner and the aim is to have them as flat and parallel as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ejtrent View Post
    Looks potentially like the shapton glass backed water stones is what they are using to lap
    Thanks for that... Off to Google I go =)

It’s a slowtool