closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New sub or old sub ,yes more rolex twaddle

New sub or old sub ,yes more rolex twaddle

Had the call today been offered the old 40 mm or the new 41mm.
    My choice, new one looks a little more refined old one a bit more meaty and old school.new one has the new movement and a second crown.
    Whilst it's more evolution than revolution I will
    Collect on Tuesday but interested in your thoughts.(both no date)

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

41 absolutely no question, especially on no date.

Master

I am sure you will end up with the new one. However, there is a certain charm to the old one which somehow I seem to prefer. More comfortable bracelet too. However, the new one feels more balanced.

Biggest plus of the new one which I haven’t really heard talked about much: I think it has AR coating under the crystal. It is just much less reflective and the dial looks a richer and deeper black. This is the winning feature.

Very bad picture I took yesterday:

Last edited by Boss13; 10th November 2020 at 23:59.

41mm. No “phat” lugs. No question for me

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    The new, no question.

Buy both? Just don’t sell one here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the new one. If nothing else the new movement would do it for me.

I have had both and the new one is the better watch in my opinion.

go for the new movement 100%

I’ve had the older 114060 and now the proud owner of a 126610.

In my opinion the new 41mm is the better watch.

Improved proportions - the more tapered lugs are a welcome change for me, as I found the previous model just looked a bit square and blocky. I did actually think that the wider bracelet would be a step in the wrong direction, but not at all. It’s around 21mm wide now, don’t forget even a 22mm lug width
    is quite common on some watches. With the overall new design I think the new bracelet works.

Better movement - the latest movement from Rolex with all the improvements to power reserve, escapement etc. I have noticed however, that there is some rotor noise on the new movement compared to the old version, which was pretty much silent to the point that you could only hear the clicks of the mainspring being wound when held close to your ear. I was a little concerned when I first heard this to be honest, but it has been suggested that this is because of the ceramic rotor bearings on the new movement.

AR coating to underside of crystal - there was something about the dial I found different/intriguing that I couldn’t put my finger on initially. Something different to the way the dial looked compared to previous Rolex divers I’d had. Then I came across some blurb on the Rolex website about the AR coating. A really good improvement which makes the dial look deeper/clearer in some light conditions.

I think we are always drawn to the outgoing models especially the features that may have been dropped, aluminium bezels, lug holes, rattly bracelets, and now the fat lugs.

I’ think the ‘maxi case’ will be remembered more fondly in years to come, but right now the new model is the one I’d go for.
    Last edited by namzo; 11th November 2020 at 09:10.

I viewed the new Rolex models and think they look better proportioned. I would go for the newer model but you have the benefit to see both.

I don't think you can go wrong with either.

As another owner of both I'd go with the new shape, no hesitation whatsoever.

The new model 100%! And obviously the mandatory pics that go with it ;)

S

Some comparison photos stolen from the web:

Cheers chaps.
    41 mm was my choice and you have confirmed my decision.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Seams like hardly anyone criticised the Fat frame Submariner when it was the current production, "in yer face, guaranteed to increase in value" - Now there is a new (better proportioned) one - more people seem prepared to stick their heads up..................

Master
    There is nothing wrong with the old one. In fact, I personally do feel it does have some more favourable features. Of course, anyone would accept the new watch is 'better'...that is fairly obvious, it would be. Just like the 116610 is 'better' than the 16610, although again the 16610 may have had some favourable features (proportions perhaps).

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Seams like hardly anyone criticised the Fat frame Submariner when it was the current production, "in yer face, guaranteed to increase in value" - Now there is a new (better proportioned) one - more people seem prepared to stick their heads up..................
    I never found the 114060 to be a nice looking watch. Was even offered one when they first came out - July 2012 when I went to collect my first Explorer. £5000 the rrp then.

Something to enhance your Rolex experience...

https://www.dmarge.com/2020/11/orbit...l-watches.html
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Not sure that's true, at least on here. I have no dog in the fight (I have an SD43) but one used to read criticism of the lugs on the outgoing Subs quite a lot. True that it didn't stop it increasing in value of course.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wits View Post
    Had the call today been offered the old 40 mm or the new 41mm.
    Interesting that the AD still has the "old" one! Why would that be, do you suppose?

Power reserve would be the deciding factor for me, I think.
    Could live with either if I wanted one though.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Interesting that the AD still has the "old" one! Why would that be, do you suppose?
    Hidden in safe for a special customer. Lockdown 2.0 arrives and special customer does not turn up. New stock arrives, time to start selling.

Blog Entries
    My opinion would be from a reasonable (shall we say 2meters?) distance away there will be no aesthetic difference seen by the observer. Close up the owner may of course perceive the differences.

Long term value - 'relatively' short runs (2012 Basel 114060 -2020 Basel 124060) of rather difficult to get hold Rolex seem to increase in value more. My crystal balls are frozen at the moment - but my guess is the 11xxxx models may gain over the longer term, compared to the current ones since they now out of production. (No guarantees)

Personally I would collect the new one - given the choice between the two.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by namzo View Post

Great comparisons. How do they compare for thickness?

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    My opinion would be from a reasonable (shall we say 2meters?) distance away there will be no aesthetic difference seen by the observer. Close up the owner may of course perceive the differences.

Long term value - 'relatively' short runs (2012 Basel 114060 -2020 Basel 124060) of rather difficult to get hold Rolex seem to increase in value more. My crystal balls are frozen at the moment - but my guess is the 11xxxx models may gain over the longer term, compared to the current ones since they now out of production. (No guarantees)

Personally I would collect the new one - given the choice between the two.
    Doubt it. IMHO the square maxi case will lose popularity. Rolex themselves must have known this, hence the “quick” replacement.