closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Navigator

Welcome to the family you little beauty, superb watch.
    No favourites in this bunch, they're all remarkable.

Why oh why did I ever sell the PRS-10 and 17C????

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nickyboyo View Post
    Welcome to the family you little beauty, superb watch.
    No favourites in this bunch, they're all remarkable.

Why oh why did I ever sell the PRS-10 and 17C????

Lovely collection Nick - helpful to see some of those watches side by side and see sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman

Navigator

Navigator on lizard skin

Last edited by benshep; 11th December 2020 at 22:37.

Apprentice
    Switched from a beige heather to this sporty green Perlon. I also tried deep red and heather blue but to my eyes this green looks correct.

Just dressing it down since athleisure will probably be the attire of choice for the foreseeable future. Perlon is flexible like that.

Last edited by Cabalu; 11th December 2020 at 22:11.

Craftsman
    Last edited by benshep; 11th December 2020 at 22:46.

Journeyman
    Navigator on black perlon.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I love this Forstner Klip on the Navigator. It's a modern version of the classic Bonklip, which the original IWC Mark xi would have often been worn on back in the day. It seems fitting that a modern Mark xi homage be worn on a modern Bonklip homage.

What I like are that the strap is the same width as the end links. Bonklips were usually narrower than the end links which make it look too thin for my tastes. The clasp is spring loaded so more secure than the Bonklip. Also the polished tips of the end links, & of the bracelet links, plus the clasp, match the polished bezel on the watch. The brushed parts of the bracelet are a reasonable match for the brushed parts of the watch case.

Very comfortable & easy to fit thanks to tips from lughugger. And it was £20 off on Black Friday.

Another thing that works really well with this combination is the off centre position of the lug holes. Because the bracelet is thin, the position of the lug holes ‘lifts’ the end link to a much more aesthetically pleasing level. If the holes were central there would be a big step down to the end link.

The end links are also an absolutely perfect fit widthwise in the lugs.

I really can’t recommend this bracelet enough.

Another thing that works really well with this combination is the off centre position of the lug holes. Because the bracelet is thin, the position of the lug holes ‘lifts’ the end link to a much more aesthetically pleasing level. If the holes were central there would be a big step down to the end link.

I said that ages ago and I was shouted down... (a bit).

The only ones who complain are the Nato people, as it makes their straps ride high... well... the Mk11 was around before Natos even existed. I hope this helps.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Master

The bonklip looks great and really suits the watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    I said that ages ago and I was shouted down... (a bit).

The only ones who complain are the Nato people, as it makes their straps ride high... well... the Mk11 was around before Natos even existed. I hope this helps.
    Indeed, & the mark xi would often have been worn on a Bonklip

Craftsman
    Given the shape/profile of the original lugs the high spring bar position is the one thing for me with the Nav that doesn't quite feel/look right. Would have preferred it stayed where it was originally designed no matter the strap. Otherwise compromise on the lug profile to make a higher position look balanced, like with the Everest.

My two pennyworth but still a favorite watch mind.

Master
    Indeed, & the mark xi would often have been worn on a Bonklip
    I remember these sorts of bracelets I had one on my watch when I was at school in the 70s. Personally I think they look awful but each to their own I guess. The watch was designed to be used on a two-piece strap and that's how I think it looks best.

How does the Forstner Klip compare with the Joseph Bonnie?

Anyone have or had both?

Quote Originally Posted by kk View Post
    I remember these sorts of bracelets I had one on my watch when I was at school in the 70s. Personally I think they look awful but each to their own I guess. The watch was designed to be used on a two-piece strap and that's how I think it looks best.
    Bonklips are an acquired taste. The same way that Natos were a couple of decades back. As more people start using them...

By the way, JB Champions on speedies are in the same boat.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    How does the Forstner Klip compare with the Joseph Bonnie?

Anyone have or had both?
    I had the JB on my Serica and the Klip on my Navigator. My preference would be for the Klip purely down to the clasp feeling more secure and being easier to adjust.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    I had the JB on my Serica and the Klip on my Navigator. My preference would be for the Klip purely down to the clasp feeling more secure and being easier to adjust.
    Thanks, that's helpful. I do like a Bonklip. FWIW when it comes to vintage, the Firth's British-made ones are better than the Swiss Gay Freres ones. Which is good as the latter sell for silly money to the bubbleback boys.

Craftsman

Navigator.

Really interesting to see the watches side by side. The Navigator looks smaller than the PRS29? is that just a picture angle thing? I have a 29a but not lucky enough to land a navigator....yet.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Lovely collection Nick - helpful to see some of those watches side by side and see sizes.

Any pictures, as well as I can take, side by side or otherwise, just ask..

Craftsman
    Any pictures, as well as I can take, side by side or otherwise, just ask..

I would very much appreciate a side by side picture of the Everest Expedition,The Smiths Air Ministry and Navigator white dial. This is a unique opportunity for me to narrow down which one to go for.Many thanks for sharing the picture of your collection.

Master
    Arrived from Ryan .... it's a truly lovely timepiece but I fear a wee bit small for me (8 and a bit inch wrist was always going to be a bit of a stretch).

On a very ancient long length carbon fibre:

Nomos cordovan XL:

Leather B&S nato - unlike the others it's probably just about doable:

Apprentice
    probably another 10mm bigger will be just nice, it looks like below 26mm on that wrist.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by allanzzz View Post
    probably another 10mm bigger will be just nice, it looks like below 26mm on that wrist.
    I actually quite like smaller watches and love my 38.5mm Nomos Tangomat. But it seems that 36mm is pushing it especially with the thickness of the bezel and the shoulder on the crystal making the dial itself seem quite dinky, the opposite of the Nomos which is practically all dial and seems to me to wear bigger than a supposedly 43mm Seiko.

Something like 39mm (along the lines size-wise of the 29B) would work for me I think.

Quote Originally Posted by silver centurian View Post
    I would very much appreciate a side by side picture of the Everest Expedition,The Smiths Air Ministry and Navigator white dial. This is a unique opportunity for me to narrow down which one to go for.Many thanks for sharing the picture of your collection.
    I'll post up a pic shortly

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I think it looks fine
    Agreed, though the strap looks too tight.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Honestly it looks a bit dinky, especially the first pic, looks like you've borrowed your child's watch...I had the same with an Expedition, I wanted to love it but it just didn't look right, convincing to me or the Mrs come to that. 38mm or so on an 8 inch plus wrist does seem about my baseline too. But its' great there's this variety in size available.

Craftsman
    Just recently received my Timor Heritage Field watch and having had the Navigator for over a month now I will sit down and do a side by side comparison of the 2 watches, or should I say will attempt to since I have really never done anything like that but am willing to give it a try.

Apprentice
    Had to mangle the strap a little and replace the oem clasp, too big for my wrist

Craftsman
    If you get a chance, follow the @cockleshellwatchclub on Instagram, with a love for military watches, it's mission is to honour the service men and women who wore them and help support some of our ex-service personnel.
    Pictured on a CWC NATO

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jason.humphrey.180 View Post
    If you get a chance, follow the @cockleshellwatchclub on Instagram, with a love for military watches, it's mission is to honour the service men and women who wore them and help support some of our ex-service personnel.
    Pictured on a CWC NATO

Looks cracking on the CWC nato

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman

What a fantastic watch. I have had this now for a little over a month and it is running +/- 0, yes that is correct it is dead on. I don't wear my watches 24/7 but I wear them to work and back and at home until bedtime and I will either store it dial up or crown up. It tends to run a little fast dial up and a little slow crown up so they even themselves out.

What kind of times are other owners getting. I wind my watch fully once a day. Eddie really knocked this one out of the park.
    Last edited by kneadking; 19th December 2020 at 20:27.

Master
    I’ve been wearing mine pretty much 24/7 since I got it. I’m +1spd with the main spring fully would going to about -1spd as the power reserve runs down - no noticeable positional variance - which equates to about bang on for all intents and purposes! Impressive.

What's not to love?

Master
    What's not to love?

The size, sadly. I only hung onto mine for a couple of days. You need pretty thin wrists to pull off this watch.

Craftsman
    The size, sadly. I only hung onto mine for a couple of days. You need pretty thin wrists to pull off this watch.
    I have a 7 inch wrist and I think it is absolutely spot on.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kneadking View Post
    I have a 7 inch wrist and I think it is absolutely spot on.
    7in wrist is pretty thin these days.

If you think about the Smiths 29a/b reissue, the 36mm 29a was the more accurate in terms of a recreation, but the 39mm 29b must have outsold it by a substantial margin - forget fashion, 39mm is just more normal for a watch these days as people have got bigger.

Your average watch buying bloke is just significantly larger all round on average than he was back in the 60s and 70s.

Eddie should do a 39mm version. The 36mm only really fits the small wristed these days. Things have moved on since 1970.

I disagree, unfortunately the Tapatalk app failed to upload the associated picture.

Its a super legible watch for us old uns, and looks the part on an 8 inch wrist, admittedly it may look dinky, but I like it..

Here it is

Master
    8in wrist (from my post above) - just looks daft:

Master
    Eddie should do a 39mm version. The 36mm only really fits the small wristed these days. Things have moved on since 1970.
    I think the sales figures for the Everest disprove your point.

8in wrist (from my post above) - just looks daft:

Have you considered a pocket watch?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I think the sales figures for the Everest disprove your point.
    Rubbish. There was a 40mm version of the Everest for years before the boys' size one was put on sale. Everyone who wanted a full-size version has one already.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Have you considered a pocket watch?
    That’s a screen full of wine for me :)
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    Rubbish. There was a 40mm version of the Everest for years before the boys' size one was put on sale. Everyone who wanted a full-size version has one already.
    "Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I'm dscontinuing the 40mm version when they're gone (about 15 left). The 36mm versions outsell it by a ratio of 4:1.

Eddie"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    "Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I'm dscontinuing the 40mm version when they're gone (about 15 left). The 36mm versions outsell it by a ratio of 4:1.

Eddie"

The key word being 'outsell' present tense. The previous 40mm version was around for years why buy one so similar? Predictable.

It is nice that the small wristed have more options lately, while I do recognise that the fashion for larger watches 45mm and above is fading ... I've kind of gone off dinner-plate sized watches myself even though I do have a wrist that can carry them off. 39-42mm is my ideal these days.
    Last edited by kk; 20th December 2020 at 01:24.

Master
    Blog Entries
    7in wrist is pretty thin these days.

If you think about the Smiths 29a/b reissue, the 36mm 29a was the more accurate in terms of a recreation, but the 39mm 29b must have outsold it by a substantial margin - forget fashion, 39mm is just more normal for a watch these days as people have got bigger.

Your average watch buying bloke is just significantly larger all round on average than he was back in the 60s and 70s.

I'd have thought a 7" wrist is almost bang on average in this country. I'm 6' 1" and my wrist is just over 6.75". A 36mm watch looks perfect on me imho. The dial size is often neglected. I'm currently wearing my Milgauss which is 40mm. It took me a while to get used to the size, despite having no problem with the Sub & Sea Dweller, because the dial is a bigger proportion of the 40mm.

See this for a wrist size poll on your favourite forum

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...age-wrist-size

I'd have thought a 7" wrist is almost bang on average in this country. I'm 6' 1" and my wrist is just over 6.75". A 36mm watch looks perfect on me imho. The dial size is often neglected. I'm currently wearing my Milgauss which is 40mm. It took me a while to get used to the size, despite having no problem with the Sub & Sea Dweller, because the dial is a bigger proportion of the 40mm.

See this for a wrist size poll on your favourite forum

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...age-wrist-size
    Completely aligned to this post - and yes dial size is fundamental to the equation I think. A watch with a bezel looks very different to one without.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Completely aligned to this post - and yes dial size is fundamental to the equation I think. A watch with a bezel looks very different to one without.

To be honest I'd love to wear some of these dinky little things at 35mm and 36mm but for the most part it simply doesn't work.

I'm surprised at this sort of info representing 'average' ... people have been growing in size for generations in this country - my grandad, born 1899, d 1992, prime watch buying years probably 1940-1970, was about 5ft and was quite happy with a 31mm watch ... he did own a gold one that size that he occasionally wore, though most of the time away from work/after his retirement he wore a pocket watch. Always beautifully turned out for all his tiny size.

My dad, born 1937, prime watch buyng years probably 1955-1990, is about 5ft 7 and happy with a 34-36mm watch to this day. I'd say his wrist is about 7in.

I was born 1961, about 5ft 10, prime watch buying years probably about 1990 to about now (perhaps on retirement I'll finally nab one of my grail watches - Zenith Pilot chrono or Breguet Type XX or XXI), 8in+ wrist can't get away with much below about 39-40mm (eg Nomos and the like).

My lad is 6ft 4, still in his 20s, very much in dinner plate territory 45mm+.

There must be something self-selecting about the sample because the whole tiny wrist being 'average' thing doesn't square with my experience at all. I always thought the average age on the forum had gone down since I first joined (before being away for many years) in the early 00s - all the MTB stuff for sale for example, which is a total Gen X signifier - therefore I would have expected wrist sizes to be getting bigger, not smaller.

In my age group (coming up for 60) I always considered myself pretty average in this country though when I moved to NZ in the 90s for a bit I suddently felt quite small - the average over there is (or at least was) up by a couple of inches.
    Last edited by kk; 20th December 2020 at 21:04.

Journeyman
    Really enjoying the navigator. Dressier than I was expecting it to be, probably due to the polished bezel. I might have to get a PRS29 to accompany it when they come back in stock for more of a field feel.

Craftsman
    Trying it on a bund from Steveostraps