Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Navigator

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brummie64 View Post
    Yes the night before.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk
    Thanks - as soon as I posted that I got my dispatch email through

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    A couple of quick shots with alternative straps. Since it's 18mm I only have a couple of options.

A touch of vintage feel. Perfect for when climbing out of your Spitfire.
    I’m planning a Spitfire flight in the new year, so may be tempted to get one for the occasion!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.Ldn View Post
    Thanks - as soon as I posted that I got my dispatch email through
    All good then, hope you're as thrilled with it as me.

Journeyman
    Crisis over. Got my despatch confirmation this evening!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisK View Post
    Crisis over. Got my despatch confirmation this evening!
    Very good news, hopefully be with you tomorrow.

Still waiting patiently here but seems to be getting closer so fingers crossed we hear something by Monday.

Just ordered a new strap for my order; prefer conventional buckles over deployant clasps, particularly on a daily wear.

Craftsman
    Yay... it's here.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jason.humphrey.180 View Post
    Yay... it's here.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    Particularly nice image, thanks for posting and enjoy.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed875 View Post
    Very good news, hopefully be with you tomorrow.

Still waiting patiently here but seems to be getting closer so fingers crossed we hear something by Monday.

Just ordered a new strap for my order; prefer conventional buckles over deployant clasps, particularly on a daily wear.
    Fingers crossed for you mate. With regards to deployant clasps, I'm the same. I have small wrists, so they never tend to sit well on me, unless I specify a custom length for the short end of the strap.

Thanks for sharing all of your photos, the watch looks absolutely stunning. Do you find the dial sits close to the crystal? Or at least appears to? I love watches like that. There's a Breitling chrono like that on SC and various Zenith appear the same. For me it looks so much better up close. Must have me a Navigator at some point.

See what Eddie managed to achieve with his Navigator:

Wonderful work.
    Brane

Blog Entries
    Ah, the original, and after a quick comparison, great work indeed Eddie.

Can't wait for mine.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Thanks for sharing all of your photos, the watch looks absolutely stunning. Do you find the dial sits close to the crystal? Or at least appears to? I love watches like that. There's a Breitling chrono like that on SC and various Zenith appear the same. For me it looks so much better up close. Must have me a Navigator at some point.
    That's how it looks like, a dial that sits pretty close to the crystal. I even like the way the milky ring of the sapphire covers that dead space on the outside of the dial.
    My only concern is with the lug holes, that were placed too high on the lugs IMHO.
    Otherwise, a perfect watch.

Master
    Do you find the dial sits close to the crystal?
    This is probably the single biggest reason that I love vintage watches so much, and the effect that acrylic crystals have on the ‘floating’ dial. But I find I just bring myself to wear any of my vintage watches regularly for fear of damaging them! Fingers crossed the Navigator can fix that and become my daily wearer. Plus it’s a birthday present from the misses - so thats always good

Just need to wait for UPS now!
    Last edited by Neil.Ldn; 13th November 2020 at 10:13.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post

Do you find the dial sits close to the crystal? Or at least appears to? I love watches like that. ...
    That effect happens when the dial sits high in the case... Eddie's latest watches are better at doing that.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Did no-one buy the ivory dialled version? We needs pics
    D

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Did no-one buy the ivory dialled version? We needs pics
    D
    I'm rubbish at linking photos into the forum - so fingers crossed this works!

Last edited by adamch66; 13th November 2020 at 14:17.

Master
    First impressions:

Quality. Really solid, chunky for a 36mm and weighty - excellent heft! It really does feel like a far, far more expensive watch - especially with the new/old Smiths logotype which gives it a understated touch of class. Feels like a proper, serious watch where some new/modern watches I've experienced (coming from someone who is a mostly into vintage, and with a military bent) can feel a bit toy-like.

The dial and hands are perfect - can't fault them.

Casework - really lovely. Lugs are a lovely shape especially when glimpsed from the side. Lug holes are possibly not in *quite* the right place, but it's a very minor point. Crown is perfect. Winding is silky smooth and no wobble in the stem. The dial sits quite high in the case - very good.

Crystal. Something I'm going to have to get used to as I basically don't like anything other than acrylic! But that's a personal thing. Actually the box profile does work with this watch. Lets see how we get on.

I really like it a lot - everything is just kind of 'right' about it. I recently played around with the new "Hamilton Khaki Pilot Pioneer" which is the W10 reissue - and while it is a very nice watch, this feels like a whole level up. Best TF watch I've had yet. Good job Eddie

Last edited by Neil.Ldn; 13th November 2020 at 12:31.

Quote Originally Posted by adamch66 View Post
    Great to see the ivory dial out in the real world, a few wrist shots would be good.
    Enjoy your new timepiece.

Craftsman
    I've just made a note of the timekeeping of mine over the last 24 hours, it hasn't deviated at all! It's still within 1 second.

Navigator

Attachment 18488Attachment 18489

What a beauty! It’ is a joy to wind the big crown and I am really loving how proud the crystal stands from the case. The deployant is really well done too. The strap is very tough, in time it it will soften up nicely. Not sure if the strap needs the big keeper it’ is kind of getting in the way and hard to position.

Anyone have any pointers on uploading good quality images from mobile?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Nastadon; 13th November 2020 at 17:28.

Master
    It's alright I suppose, if you like watches and stuff.

;)

Those black dials really like catching a reflection..

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post

;)
    Yea, its all right, and I do LIKE WATCHES, especially the Navigator.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisK View Post
    Fingers crossed for you mate. With regards to deployant clasps, I'm the same. I have small wrists, so they never tend to sit well on me, unless I specify a custom length for the short end of the strap.
    Well looks like Santa is turning up a few weeks early going by an email which landed this morning; next Tuesday fingers crossed.

New strap also due around the same time

Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post

;)
    What strap is this? The texture is great

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    All of my current watches have bracelets but this one I’m looking forward to being my one watch with a leather strap. I’m guessing by your location, bracelets are much more suitable for the heat!
    Yah it's summer all year over here.

Is there a hard stop for the winding mechanism or can the winding keep going like an automatic?

This is my first time getting a mechanical. 2 actually, black and cream/white/ivory.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Allan is asking what I am thinking too.
    First time with mechanical, what is the best daily practice regarding winding this one up?

Journeyman
    At my PRS-29AM the winding stops if its fully wound.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wallyuk View Post
    First time with mechanical, what is the best daily practice regarding winding this one up?
    I have had the ETA 2801-2 and Sellita SW210 and both watches wind until you come to a stop unlike automatics with hand winding that have clutch that lets you keep winding the crown after the main spring is fully wound. I find that once fully wound I then wind it in the am and the pm, not because it is necessary but because I enjoy winding my watch which is why I much prefer a hand wound watch. You can wind it once a day or if you have like the Hamilton modified 2801 called the H-50 with a 80 hour power reserve then you would only need to wind it every couple of days.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by allanzzz View Post
    Yah it's summer all year over here.

Is there a hard stop for the winding mechanism or can the winding keep going like an automatic?

This is my first time getting a mechanical. 2 actually, black and cream/white/ivory.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk
    Congrats on your purchase, and I couldn't think of 2 finer examples of a first mechanical watch than the Navigator. If you find that you really like the size and the military/field watch aspect of the Navigator then I would suggest the Smith's Military PRS-29a also available from Eddie at TimeFactor coming back in stock in March 2021. enjoy the watches.
    Last edited by kneadking; 16th November 2020 at 08:08.

Quote Originally Posted by wallyuk View Post
    Wind the watch fully at the beginning of each day. Wind gently and firmly. Once you establish how many turns it takes to fully wind it, from then on you can wind normally and then slow down towards the end... as you are waiting for the back-stop.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Master
    It's a one piece leather NATO - I think it was from CheapestNatoStraps.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastadon View Post
    What strap is this? The texture is great

Craftsman
    Would also add hold the watch firmly in your left hand for winding, not wearing it, sounds obvious but I've seen this asked before and either wind it away from you only, or some prefer a forward and back motion, the latter is what I was taught as a nipper when I got my first watch; in the days before quartz.

Craftsman
    Would also add hold the watch firmly in your left hand for winding, not wearing it, sounds obvious but I've seen this asked before and either wind it away from you only, or some prefer a forward and back motion, the latter is what I was taught as a nipper when I got my first watch; in the days before quartz.
    This is great point Ed875.

I've seen this asked before and either wind it away from you only, or some prefer a forward and back motion, the latter is what I was taught as a nipper when I got my first watch; in the days before quartz.
    It is best to wind forward only... without back peddling, so to speak. Less things to wear out, that way.

Web Navigator

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    It is best to wind forward only... without back peddling, so to speak. Less things to wear out, that way.
    Great point also as this is how I have always done it.

Craftsman
    Great picture and loving that strap. If I needed any further excuse to pull the trigger this would seal it. Congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by fogar View Post
    Web Navigator

Apprentice
    Mine is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. I have large wrists and hope the awesome strap that comes on it works for me.

+1sec over past 3 days but since winding (not setting) this morning it is now bang on.

Cheers Eddie.

Apprentice

A Different Perspective on Size and Fit

The Navigator on my tiny wrist. My sweet spot is around 33x40mm so I'm pushing out of my comfort zone here...

But oh, so worth it. Such a charming case in the flesh. And that box crystal! Character.

Does the movement have a ghost date? I feel a subtle detent when pulling out the crown.

While I didn't think the supplied strap would fit I at least wanted to try it out. However I couldn't figure out how to pass the leather through without mangling it so I didn't even try.

Going with the strap pictured for now. Nothing quite as light and aero as Perlon. It does however make the watch top-heavy and a bit unnerving to take off. If you've worn it, you know what I mean.

The lug hole placement does make one-piece straps sit awkwardly but there could be a good reason for that. Minor gripe.

If you're interested, I started an Instagram account for small watches that fit a bit large on my wrist: @less.than.six

Lastly, thanks Eddie. The Navigator is a winner.

Apparently my Navigator arrives tomorrow
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalu View Post

The Navigator on my tiny wrist. My sweet spot is around 33x40mm so I'm pushing out of my comfort zone here...

But oh, so worth it. Such a charming case in the flesh. And that box crystal! Character.

Does the movement have a ghost date? I feel a subtle detent when pulling out the crown.

While I didn't think the supplied strap would fit I at least wanted to try it out. However I couldn't figure out how to pass the leather through without mangling it so I didn't even try.

Going with the strap pictured for now. Nothing quite as light and aero as Perlon. It does however make the watch top-heavy and a bit unnerving to take off. If you've worn it, you know what I mean.

The lug hole placement does make one-piece straps sit awkwardly but there could be a good reason for that. Minor gripe.

If you're interested, I started an Instagram account for small watches that fit a bit large on my wrist: @less.than.six

Looks great! Has to be 1 of the 1st to arrive in the States.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabalu View Post

It doesn't look out of place on a smaller wrist that's the beauty of it.
    Enjoy your new timepiece.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by drunken-gmt-master View Post
    Looks great! Has to be 1 of the 1st to arrive in the States.
    Mine arrived this morning via UPS so there are at least 2 of us here in the United States that have the Navigator. Sorry no pics.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by kneadking View Post
    Mine arrived this morning via UPS so there are at least 2 of us here in the United States that have the Navigator. Sorry no pics.
    Envious, I still haven't received my shipping notice (for order 1085).
    Last edited by drunken-gmt-master; 17th November 2020 at 04:51.

Master
    I was order number RC24161216. Had the two emails at the time of order. The Sagepay one confirmed the payment was pending. I’ve now checked my bank account and the pending transaction has disappeared. My card hasn’t been debited, either. If it pans out that I’ve missed the cut on this occasion then no problem. Some you win, some you don’t.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    I was order number RC24161216. Had the two emails at the time of order. The Sagepay one confirmed the payment was pending. I’ve now checked my bank account and the pending transaction has disappeared. My card hasn’t been debited, either. If it pans out that I’ve missed the cut on this occasion then no problem. Some you win, some you don’t.
    Should be OK, only just got shipping info for delivery tomorrow and I'm order 0992, hope this helps.

Master
    Should be OK, only just got shipping info for delivery tomorrow and I'm order 0992, hope this helps.
    Thanks. I know Eddie said earlier that he hadn’t had to cancel any orders and the Navigators aren’t marked as sold out in the store. Enjoy your incoming.

Journeyman
    My Navigator arrived on Friday. I think it makes a great pairing with my CW C65 Sandhurst.

Last edited by DennisK; 17th November 2020 at 00:24.