closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 6159-7000 (April 68) received back from Duncan today.

6159-7000 (April 68) received back from Duncan today.

Just back from Duncan/Thewatchbloke after a full service and as always great to deal with, thanks Duncan.

I bought this from a TZ member a few months ago and right up until I had it in my hands I thought it was going to be a scam :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Just back from Duncan/Thewatchbloke after a full service and as always great to deal with, thanks Duncan.

I bought this from a TZ member a few months ago and right up until I had it in my hands I thought it was going to be a scam :)
    That really doesn’t look like a watch more than half a century old. Looks like one of the Seiko reissues. Beautiful watch.

Journeyman
    Wow, that things from 68? Really does look like a vintage style brand new watch

Amazing watch, the best vintage Seiko diver of them all in my opinion.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Beautiful watch, anymore pictures and why did you think it was a scam when purchasing?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Amazing watch, the best vintage Seiko diver of them all in my opinion.
    My sentiments exactly. What a cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Beautiful watch, anymore pictures and why did you think it was a scam when purchasing?
    Maybe it was a ‘too good to be true, I’m not this lucky’ kind of thing?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    A friend had asked to buy my 6159-7000 which I dident want to sell so I told him I would try a WTB for him which I did but with no replies.

Then out of the blue I was offered this one in response to the WTB, I asked for some photos and with respect to the seller the pictures where pretty poor but I thought it could be good, I asked how much and he replied that the going rate for these was on average about $7k USA which converted to GBP was over £5k so I agreed and we arranged to meet at a service station on the M1 half way between Jct 21 and London.

At all times the pm's were very simple and short and it just seemed strange, all this money and no palaver just easy, strange.

On the morning when I left home to meet the seller my wife said if you get mugged and murdered for your money don't come home complaining to me !! after 52 years married life its good to know love is still strong :)

Anyway the seller turned up on time, really nice guy and in the flesh the watch was really good.

So I now have two 6159-7000s from April 68 plus I had help from my mate who is a enabler (Jim W).

ps: The bezel is a NOS replacement I had in my spares draw, I love a nice bezel on a vintage watch.

That is unfeasibly lovely! What a beauty.

On the morning when I left home to meet the seller my wife said if you get mugged and murdered for your money don't come home complaining to me !! after 52 years married life its good to know love is still strong :)
    Got to love women. Rest assured you wont hear me complaining to you if I'm murdered dear.

Congrats.
    Lovely watch. Duncan does a superb job. Here's mine he restored.
    My all time favourite Seiko.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Thats beautiful

Lovely Seiko’s guys. Might be my all time favourite dive watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    Congrats.
    Lovely watch. Duncan does a superb job. Here's mine he restored.
    My all time favourite Seiko.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

VERY nice Gerard :)

The 6159-7000 is one of the best looking divers ever made. So simple legible and fit for purpose.
    Very nice

Master
    Here's the reissue - SLA025J1

Master
    Looks amazing. Do you mind me asking where you got the new bezel from?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Looks amazing. Do you mind me asking where you got the new bezel from?
    Thanks, the bezel came from a collector I know who lives in Thailand, he had a couple but none left now, I think finding another NOS would be pretty hard, I know of one but it won't be for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post

Love these. The bezel on the one I had was smooth as butter - fantastic to rotate and it took a lot of self restraint not to fiddle with it in meetings as it was so tactile.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    very jealous. i once found one for a tenner at a car boot but could't get it fixed up locally so i sold it on ebay, very early in my watch collecting days. if i knew then.....
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

The best watch ever made by Seiko and that includes GS and Credor. IMO.

OP’s original is a lovey watch as well. Great job by Duncan. He was helpful in my getting the original as well.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 11th November 2020 at 10:25.

Craftsman
    On the morning when I left home to meet the seller my wife said if you get mugged and murdered for your money don't come home complaining to me !!
    I had to repost this.

So funny...

...So true.

A beautiful exchange.

And the watch really does look like a brand new, re-issue, of the original.

Gorgeous =)

As always with reissues you can't beat an original, especially when it's in such a great shape as the one from the OP, which is absolutely lovely btw.

However the SLA025 seems not only a faithful remake but a beautiful watch on it's own right. My hope is that it wears similar to the MM300, because one is on the way to me as we talk. I read critics everywhere due to its height and balance, but based on dimensions it shouldn't be much worse than the SBDX001, which I already had twice and sold stupidly.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by witti; 11th November 2020 at 12:44.

Quote Originally Posted by witti View Post
    As always with reissues you can't beat an original, especially when it's in such a great shape as the one from the OP, which is absolutely lovely btw.

However the SLA025 seems not only a faithful remake but a beautiful watch on it's own right. My hope is that it wears similar to the MM300, because one is on the way to me as we talk. I read critics everywhere due to its height and balance, but based on dimensions it shouldn't be much worse than the SBDX001, which I already had twice and sold stupidly.

It does wear like the MM300. 19 mm lugs is an oddity but you can squeeze in a 20mm strap.

what gas stations are open right now near me

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    It does wear like the MM300. 19 mm lugs is an oddity but you can squeeze in a 20mm strap.

what gas stations are open right now near me
    Thanks! Don't want to hijack the thread completely, but happy to hear that it's not significantly differ from the MM300, which was manageable on my wrist. The 19mm strap size isn't easy but I can live with that.

Thanks! Don't want to hijack the thread completely, but happy to hear that it's not significantly differ from the MM300, which was manageable on my wrist. The 19mm strap size isn't easy but I can live with that.

On my other 6159-7000 I squeeze a 20mm MM300 Crafterblue on it with the MM clasp and it works perfect for me.

On my other 6159-7000 I squeeze a 20mm MM300 Crafterblue on it with the MM clasp and it works perfect for me.
    That sounds definitely promising as I already saw myself cutting 0.5 mm on each sides of a rubber strap
    When it comes to straps and bracelets for these beauties I still feel like there are undiscovered fields.
    (I play even with the idea of shark mesh or mesh bracelets in general which is not exactly new as I've seen attempts but the perfect fit is yet to be found IMO.)

That sounds definitely promising as I already saw myself cutting 0.5 mm on each sides of a rubber strap
    When it comes to straps and bracelets for these beauties I still feel like there are undiscovered fields.
    (I play even with the idea of shark mesh or mesh bracelets in general which is not exactly new as I've seen attempts but the perfect fit is yet to be found IMO.)

I like it and with it being using a clasp its easier/quicker to remove and fills the gap in the lug area:)

I like it and with it being using a clasp its easier/quicker to remove and fills the gap in the lug area:)

Of course it's somehow smoother with the lug area filled. But frankly I love the rubber on your first picture as well. Is this the original or a remake? I saw remakes of this I'm guessing.
    (I used to have a vintage Citizen diver, which came on it's original rubber and looked fantastic, I mean very photogenic, but the strap was stiff and really not comfy to wear.)

It does look stunning.