closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Posting a watch to Europe - insurance is impossible

Journeyman

Posting a watch to Europe - insurance is impossible

I have just sold my like new Sinn 656 to someone is Germany. I have sent a watch abroad some years ago and there was no problem with insurance. I have just checked and the Post Office will not cover watches and neither will any other parcel services. Any one used a parcel service that will cover against loss and damage up to £1000?

Quote Originally Posted by helmbarrie View Post
    I have just sold my like new Sinn 656 to someone is Germany. I have sent a watch abroad some years ago and there was no problem with insurance. I have just checked and the Post Office will not cover watches and neither will any other parcel services. Any one used a parcel service that will cover against loss and damage up to £1000?
    I have just used Secursus not cheap but certainly an option. Never had to claim or contact them so can't pass judgement on that side of things.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Why not use dhl/ups/etc?

Craftsman
    Get a quote from Mail Boxes Etc. They will insure your package, it won't be the cheapest option but it is convenient.

https://www.mbe.co.uk/

DHL is cost of postage plus £12.00 for insurance upto £800.00 then a little extra for over £800.00. All in all not the cheapest but very quick.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Just sent a watch to Spain using Royal Mail tracked and signed for then used Secursus for the insurance. Very easy to do👍

Quote Originally Posted by Marios View Post
    Why not use dhl/ups/etc?
    Watches and jewellery are excluded from insurance if you read the fine print.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiztence View Post
    Watches and jewellery are excluded from insurance if you read the fine print.
    Very strange to hear that - so all the companies that ship using dhl do so without being insured..?

Master
    Very strange to hear that - so all the companies that ship using dhl do so without being insured..?
    They'll use a third party insurer, like what is being suggested above.

OP, the usual candidates for this are IFS Inforsure or Secursus.
    Here is the most recent discussion thread, which is useful to give you the differences between the above. I've used IFS for several packages, along with either Parcelforce or Royal Mail International Tracked & Signed.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...light=secursus

As far as I understand most post uninsured packages that are insured by 3rd party.

Whatever you choose take into account current delays everywhere

Master
    Watches up to £4000 are permitted with DHL and insurance is 1.5% of value.

Otherwise, use Secursus.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcam View Post
    I have just used Secursus not cheap but certainly an option. Never had to claim or contact them so can't pass judgement on that side of things.

Eh?

Secursus is super cheap - my last couple of times using them it ws 0.6% of value.

Quote Originally Posted by ddm27 View Post
    Eh?

Secursus is super cheap - my last couple of times using them it ws 0.6% of value.
    IFS is cheaper for sure. I still used Secursus but I don't consider €54 for €9k good value when just shipping in the UK with RMSD.

Journeyman
    Thanks guys for responding to my request and Lukebird for directing me to IFS and Securus. I will check DHL. I used Parcel2go and they said watches not covered by any of their listed shipping companies

Yea those T&Cs hold some little secrets don't they! Here's another one for you.

Imagine you sell something from a category that is covered by standard Royal Mail insurance, let's say on eBay, for £2,600. You ship it RMSD and increase the insurance to their maximum of £2,500. The parcel then goes missing. You submit a claim to Royal Mail, providing the proof of value etcetera as required. Which of the following outcomes do you think would occur?

(A) You get £2,600 back through the insurance.
    (B) You get £2,500 back through the insurance, but you can't claim the additional £100 as it's over the insured limited.
    (C) You get £0 back because your claim is invalid, due to your item being valued greater than £2,500.

If you picked (B) then I'm happy to tell you - you're wrong! The answer is (C)

Craftsman
    I used DHL when sending a watch to Germany. Would definitely recommend. Only annoying part was I went there with everything boxed they made me open everything to check and it was then repackaged with their own packaging. You can also pay extra for insurance.

I sent a Damasko to Germany for service last week. I found it to be quick and easy to get a few quotations online (UPS were best priced at just under €50 from Ireland) but I must admit that i didn't drill into the fine print at all! Thankfully, the watch arrived in Barbing 2 days later.

And if you use ifs, don’t forget you need to double box and there is a MINIMUM
    Outer box size. 12” x 10” x 2”
    Photograph/video everything.

Master
    UPS won’t accept watches over £500, I think. So in the event of a claim, you’d be up the creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    UPS won’t accept watches over £500, I think. So in the event of a claim, you’d be up the creek.

https://www.ups.com/gb/en/help-cente...ted-items.page

...well, i'll be darned!

Secursus charged 0.6 % of the stated value if the watch €1200. Seems fair enough. Watch delivered so no experience of making a claim, thankfully..

Master
    Secursus will happily cover you. I’ve used them twice this year. Both parties were happy with the cover.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I shipped a watch part yesterday with DHL to Italy, landed this afternoon and insured for a £1000 cost me £41.95.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    And if you use ifs, don’t forget you need to double box and there is a MINIMUM
    Outer box size. 12” x 10” x 2”
    Photograph/video everything.
    that equates within small parcel size if using RM tracked and signed (if that helps).
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 11th November 2020 at 00:27.

Craftsman
    Securus are good way to go! Think they charge 6% of parcel value? Works out alot cheaper.

I have sent via DHL to sweden, value around £1200 and ended up costing about £80 to post in total

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cart3rlfc View Post
    Securus are good way to go! Think they charge 6% of parcel value? Works out alot cheaper.

I have sent via DHL to sweden, value around £1200 and ended up costing about £80 to post in total

you missed a decimal point - it is 0.6% of the value insured + postage cost.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    you missed a decimal point - it is 0.6% of the value insured + postage cost.
    Even better

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cart3rlfc View Post
    Even better

IFS Infosure is 0.25% so quite a saving when sending high value items (underwritten by Lloyds of London so should be safe enough). Bit of PITA to have an account set up - once done very easy to manage.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    IFS Infosure is 0.25% so quite a saving when sending high value items (underwritten by Lloyds of London so should be safe enough). Bit of PITA to have an account set up - once done very easy to manage.
    Will look in to that one next time I'm sending high value item's, my watches range around 3k so not 'high' value, but certainly not cheap.