closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a flashlight (EDC or tactical)

Master

Recommend me a flashlight (EDC or tactical)

Had a quick search on the forum and it seems flashlights are as complicated as watches and knives, but couldnt find exactly what i was looking for.

Need a flashlight that ranges between the 500 - 1000 lumens, rechargeable and robust.

I have heard of Olight, fenix and Nitecore but there are hundreds of makes and i dont know so, over to the experts, recommend me a flashlight for upto £50, doesnt need to be fancy.

Personally, I like the Lenser P7R rechargeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    Had a quick search on the forum and it seems flashlights are as complicated as watches and knives, but couldnt find exactly what i was looking for.

Need a flashlight that ranges between the 500 - 1000 lumens, rechargeable and robust.

I have heard of Olight, fenix and Nitecore but there are hundreds of makes and i dont know so, over to the experts, recommend me a flashlight for upto £50, doesnt need to be fancy.
    fenix pd35, job done. but you need 18650 battery and charger for that battery + the flashlight is overbudget anyway.

but its worth it, they are very reliable i still have a fenix from about 15 years ago and have owned many since then

You could do worse than the Astrolux FT03 (link).

Note that this is a 'thrower' as most of the light is concentrated in the narrow central beam to pick things out at a distance. A quick search online will find YouTube reviews of this and the earlier 2400 lm version.

Let us know if you prefer a 'floody' torch with a wide uniform beam and what size suits your purpose. Something like the Emisar D4 (link) fits into a pocket very easily.

The first of those two can be charged with a USB-C cable, while the second needs to have the battery removed to be charged externally. Here too you may have a preference.

What sort of tactical vest do people Recommend to go with the torch?

I am thinking of something suitable for when I put the bins out on a weds night?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post

I am thinking of something suitable for when I put the bins out on a weds night?
    Depends, which torch were you refering to?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    You could do worse than the Astrolux FT03 (link).

Note that this is a 'thrower' as most of the light is concentrated in the narrow central beam to pick things out at a distance. A quick search online will find YouTube reviews of this and the earlier 2400 lm version.

Let us know if you prefer a 'floody' torch with a wide uniform beam and what size suits your purpose. Something like the Emisar D4 (link) fits into a pocket very easily.

The first of those two can be charged with a USB-C cable, while the second needs to have the battery removed to be charged externally. Here too you may have a preference.
    Thrower is absolutely fine, but definitely needs to be charged with all batteries in situ - don't necessarily want to be removing bits to charge it up.

Craftsman
    any Olight

Thrower is absolutely fine, but definitely needs to be charged with all batteries in situ - don't necessarily want to be removing bits to charge it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by subzeer0 View Post
    any Olight
    Olight might stretch the budget but they're worth a look.

After my previous post I recalled that the spec included EDC and that makes the FT03 a bit big (but search on the same site and you can find FT03 mini). How about the HL01 (link) instead? Very like an Olight model but a bit cheaper and uses a non-proprietary battery. I'd go for the XPL in either the 5000K or 6500K version. That's the colour (temperature) option with 4000K being warmer and 6500K being very cool (link).

Is a right angle torch a problem to the OP?

Edit I just found this video review www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kljDGhQgUo. It's a bit lengthy but it does cover a lot of details quite well.
    Last edited by PickleB; 10th November 2020 at 15:07.

Journeyman
    Got my eye on the LedLenser MT10 which can be bought for around £60

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Olight might stretch the budget but they're worth a look.

After my previous post I recalled that the spec included EDC and that makes the FT03 a bit big (but search on the same site and you can find FT03 mini). How about the HL01 (link) instead? Very like an Olight model but a bit cheaper and uses a non-proprietary battery. I'd go for the XPL in either the 5000K or 6500K version. That's the colour (temperature) option with 4000K being warmer and 6500K being very cool (link).

Is a right angle torch a problem to the OP?

Edit I just found this video review www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kljDGhQgUo. It's a bit lengthy but it does cover a lot of details quite well.
    Never had a right angled torch but it could be a good thing.

I mentioned to a colleague i was looking for a new flashlight and he recommended a Sofirn SC31 Pro, he said it will do all you want and is cheap enough.

https://sofirnlight.com/sc31pro-2000...ery-p0134.html

Check out the candle power forum

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...hlight-Reviews

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post

You know perfectly well that a job like this warrants a headlight, not a torch.

Never had a right angled torch but it could be a good thing.

I mentioned to a colleague i was looking for a new flashlight and he recommended a Sofirn SC31 Pro, he said it will do all you want and is cheap enough.

https://sofirnlight.com/sc31pro-2000...ery-p0134.html
    Looks good. It's cheaper, lighter/smaller and comes with a charging lead (according to a video review). Plus it has the same ramping user interface...that I like. At that price you can't go too far wrong. Like the Astrolux it's coming from China and so may take a little while to arrive.

I have used solarforce for some years now without any issue. Bit like lego you can pick and choose what to use and are generally well made like surefire without the pricetag. I use good quality 18650 rechargeable batteries.

Sent from my HD1910 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have lots of good ones including the original one of these.

Good size,bright light and very easy to charge.

the magnetic base is a big bonus.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Olight-Rech...9RQMN7JH9030Y4

Quote Originally Posted by Dunce View Post
    Personally, I like the Lenser P7R rechargeable.
    Me too. Haven't bothered trying to improve on it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It's worth keeping an eye on the Olight website at this time of year, with Black Friday looming:

https://www.olightstore.uk/torches.html
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I have lots of good ones including the original one of these.

Good size,bright light and very easy to charge.

the magnetic base is a big bonus.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Olight-Rech...9RQMN7JH9030Y4
    Except when it attaches to something metallic in your pocket and shorts out the battery...as one of mine did. The other one now wears a plastic bottle top as a cap to stop that happening.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Except when it attaches to something metallic in your pocket and shorts out the battery...as one of mine did. The other one now wears a plastic bottle top as a cap to stop that happening.
    I am not going to ask what’s in your pocket.

Has to be O-Light. I’ve had lensers fail.

Master
    Looks good. It's cheaper, lighter/smaller and comes with a charging lead (according to a video review). Plus it has the same ramping user interface...that I like. At that price you can't go too far wrong. Like the Astrolux it's coming from China and so may take a little while to arrive.
    Ended up ordering it and with discounts etc it came to, wait for it, under £16 delivered!

Went for the 5000k over the 6500k, and also opted for the bigger 3000ma battery.

if its good ill be buying a few more, at that price point its worth having a few dotted around the house/garage etc

Ended up ordering it and with discounts etc it came to, wait for it, under £16 delivered!

Went for the 5000k over the 6500k, and also opted for the bigger 3000ma battery.

if its good ill be buying a few more, at that price point its worth having a few dotted around the house/garage etc
    Comes with un-protected lithium battery. There are protected and unprotected batteries.

And for £16 its going to be a cheap chinese battery so even worse.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Comes with un-protected lithium battery. There are protected and unprotected batteries.

Didnt realise - i guess if the flashlight is good enough i can upgrade to a protected battery.

Can anyone explain to me what a "tactical" torch is please?

Genuine question.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post

Genuine question.
    The tactical torches are intended for heavy, daily and intensive use. This means they all have construction quality that resists shocks. The light output is high enough for use in (almost) all circumstances. In general, it is easy to switch between the various light settings.

https://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/...al-torches.htm

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post

Genuine question.
    I believe that the original use is explained by this wiki link...Tactical light.

It seems to have expanded to include flashlights with a feature used for striking things, be that breaking glass or injuring humans. Some feature a tactical mode whereby full power is activated by the press switch and ends when it's released. I gather that this may be useful in tactical situations including dazzling people when necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    It's worth keeping an eye on the Olight website at this time of year, with Black Friday looming:

https://www.olightstore.uk/torches.html
    I was going to say that - or register/sign up as they often send offers out my email.

Master
    Led lenser : P7 or T7 both good

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=led+len...ef=choice_dp_b

B

Blog Entries
    I like the Coast or LED Lenser pocket torches............

But if it's 'tactical' you want you can't get much more 'tactical' than a 6d Maglite.....
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master

Just arrived in the post. First impressions, seems a well made piece of kit especially for the price point.

On charge at the moment.

Will give it a good shine after dark

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just arrived in the post. First impressions, seems a well made piece of kit especially for the price point.

On charge at the moment.

Will give it a good shine after dark

I ordered the same one after I saw you ordered one,its crazy I have at least 10 in the room I am in now.

Olights have become collectable its gone mad.

Master
    My first foray into flashlights other than what can be bought from the likes of Argos et al.

Wow - super bright when needed, smooth ramping, various modes for blinkies, strobe etc.

There's even a Muggle mode when you lend the flashlight to someone and it limits all the powerful and potentially dangerous features.

Even at the non discounted price it is a good deal imho.

I can only imagine what the more expensive ones are capable of.

Thumbs up from me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    What an overly complicated device it is.

First thing I found out is you have to set its thermal register (google) then you need a memory like a Elephant.

I set the cut out to OEM 45C and that is hot on turbo so may lower it.

Some good features if you can remember them,the strobe,the lock out and you can use it for morse.

Maybe the muggle setting is the best as I kept locking myself out.

What an overly complicated device it is.

First thing I found out is you have to set its thermal register (google) then you need a memory like a Elephant.

I set the cut out to OEM 45C and that is hot on turbo so may lower it.

Some good features if you can remember them,the strobe,the lock out and you can use it for morse.

Maybe the muggle setting is the best as I kept locking myself out.
    Been there...now I ignore most of the possible settings and limit myself to those I will use. That's e-lockout, 'tactical' mode (ie click for full power, release for off) and ramping operation on my torches with an Anduril UI. I get a bit lost after 4 rapid clicks...but I'm getting on a bit now. Strobes are fun to play with but not very useful, IMO. Slow flash beacon modes might have a function so I'm glad they are there...should I ever need them.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have 3 batons this size,I reckon the jetbeam BC 20 with (wait for it) only 2 modes is probably the most useful and the one I take out when its going to be dark and isolated.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Having used it last night I am quite impressed,I fitted the magnetic end.

Tail standing its brighter than the light in my room upstairs,

I may turn the green button light off,but first I want to see how the battery lasts.As it was very useful next to the bed to find the torch without knocking everything off the side locker.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post

But if it's 'tactical' you want you can't get much more 'tactical' than a 6d Maglite.....
    Yep - if you needed something to be "well officer I grabbed it to see who it was and then smashed their head in...

Master
    Having used it last night I am quite impressed,I fitted the magnetic end.

Tail standing its brighter than the light in my room upstairs,

I may turn the green button light off,but first I want to see how the battery lasts.As it was very useful next to the bed to find the torch without knocking everything off the side locker.
    Managed to calibrate the temp using thermal config.

How do you switch the green light off?

Master
    Blog Entries

I found a video but couldn’t understand it,I have left it for now.

From off, try 7 quick clicks to cycle through high, low, blinking, off.

- - - Updated - - -

Master

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome - it worked. Out of interest i didnt find it in the book or the cheat sheet, how did you find this out?

Awesome - it worked. Out of interest i didnt find it in the book or the cheat sheet, how did you find this out?
    I'd seen it demonstrated in one of several YouTube reviews (I'll try to find it again and post a link) then I also searched for 'Anduril' and found a thread on another forum (link). I like the Anduril and Narsil UIs for the ramping interface but it can get a bit confusing finding your way around the various revisions and the many options they present.

Master
    I use a Nitecore Concept 2 for walking the dogs in the dark. Bit pricey but has served me well thus far.
    Up to 6500 lumens.

maseman

Here is the YouTube video that told me about controlling the switch LED...link.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post

Link...How trustworthy are Sofirn batteries?

As a result of reading this thread, I sent for a Sofirn SC31Pro. When placing the order I noticed the keyring torches (C01) on sale, so added a couple of those to the basket.

They were delivered today and I haven't yet tried the SC31Pro, but the C01 is hopeless! Not very bright at all. I also have an Olight i3eEOS on my keyring and they are like .... well, night and day.

How soon was this on "misheard thread titles" ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_O View Post
    As a result of reading this thread, I sent for a Sofirn SC31Pro. When placing the order I noticed the keyring torches (C01) on sale, so added a couple of those to the basket.

They were delivered today and I haven't yet tried the SC31Pro, but the C01 is hopeless! Not very bright at all. I also have an Olight i3eEOS on my keyring and they are like .... well, night and day.
    Looking, that’s a high CRI, low power keychain light. It’s not meant to wow you but have an extremely long run time and prob act as some emergency light or something. Looking at the spec it runs constant output for 11 hours. It’s the kind of thing that collectors will want/geek over as it’s high CRI and will have some specific use to be left in a car or bag as an emergency thing (that they’ll hopefully never need)

Go grab an Olight i2 ‘free’ for a fiver post on their store at the moment, just got mine and it’s lovely. Has low and high and no batteries to mess with just charge it with the supplied USB cable.