closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Submariner Date 16610 Value/Price Bubble?

Craftsman

Rolex Submariner Date 16610 Value/Price Bubble?

Hi All

Looking at some of the sport model Rolex's on Chrono24, (specifically the 16610), for the last 12 months the asking prices seem to be ever increasing. What is the opinion here, is this a bubble because of the general economy i.e. cash is safer in a watch or is there something else push the prices along.

If you were after a 16610, would you buy now or wait?

Master
    Of all the Rolex’s 4,5 and 6 digit subs the 16610 in my opinion is probably the most comfortable, most aesthetically pleasing and gives a slight mix between new and old I would say prices will hold firm and I’d strike whilst iron is hot, I’m even looking for another 16610 sub atm

Craftsman
    They are a lovely watches, I cant disagree with that.

What also surprises me is the fact that the 2000-09 models are not far off the prices of a 2019-20 models.

Buy the best you can and don't cut corners trying to save a few quid. Aim for a top condition full set and depending on the age recent service history too. Then if you need to sell later one, you will have something special to offer the folks.

Grand Master
    I’m not really a dive watch fan but I owned one of these and I definitely think its the best Sub of the lot. If I had to be picky I’d say the LV style maxi dial and thicker hands should've been fitted. Whether they’re worth the current prices is debatable, but they’re far nicer than the ceramic models that came later.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    ..... Whether they’re worth the current prices is debatable, but they’re far nicer than the ceramic models that came later.
    Given the prices, it seems the market must agree that they are preferable over the ceramics too.

Master
    Out of interest, the entire Miltons watch team all have five digit models and not a single ceramic fatty.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Out of interest, the entire Miltons watch team all have five digit models and not a single ceramic fatty.
    Do you have anyone on the watch team with thighs for wrists? Always wondered what the fat wristed do re 5 digit models. I couldn't make them work.

Master
    God forbid they should wear any other brand?

I like all the subs and had a 1680 red, 5513 MF, 16610, 116610, 116610lv, and 126610

My favourite was the hulk but now the 126610 ticks that box.

I will however always own a 16610. I love them. I bought one last year for 7.5k, a full set and I’m very happy with it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Do you have anyone on the watch team with thighs for wrists? Always wondered what the fat wristed do re 5 digit models. I couldn't make them work.
    He doesn't pay them enough to get fat.

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    Not sure if true or not but I did hear that an employee once turned up in a Cartier. He had to spend the day with a sign around his neck saying “This employee is all style over substance, please do not rely on the accuracy of his advice and would customers please refrain from getting him wet.’

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    I like all the subs and had a 1680 red, 5513 MF, 16610, 116610, 116610lv, and 126610

My favourite was the hulk but now the 126610 ticks that box.

I will however always own a 16610. I love them. I bought one last year for 7.5k, a full set and I’m very happy with it.
    I think its fair to say personal interests will change, but its interesting to hear your 16610 will always stay.

Craftsman
    I'm getting the impression that this is one model of watch that will always have a following. Do I personally think evolution is better, in most cases yes, but classics always seem to have a place.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    If we take it as read that my wrists are practically perfect, Phil's are a bit slimmer (gives all the food to his animals), Mike's even more so from memory (youth on his side) but Paul has hands like the old Kenny Everett preacher sketch.

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    Phil behaves, Paul sometimes gets dressed in the dark and slips on a Tudor while Mike reads the Antiques Gazette, has eclectic tastes and could appear in anything, even a Breitling.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    He doesn't pay them enough to get fat.
    Funny that, as they all have nice watches AND lunch breaks! Former main agents could buy desirable pieces with discount, of course, while another might have been so lucky as to buy a full set 5513 from the business for about £5k just a few years ago. I congratulate him through the tears frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    Not sure if true or not but I did hear that an employee once turned up in a Cartier. He had to spend the day with a sign around his neck saying “This employee is all style over substance, please do not rely on the accuracy of his advice and would customers please refrain from getting him wet.’
    Very good! We have had one or two turn up with a fake Rolex. The office staff told me that Jonathan Humbert wanted me on the telephone, locked me in my office and ushered the offender out on compassionate leave.
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 10th November 2020 at 00:40.

I think the 16610 is finally being more appreciated, after years in the doldrums. Too ubiquitous initially, then left out by the cults of the ND subs and Seadweller, not an LV, not blingy and ceramic, and didn’t have a cool superhero name.

It is however THE (imho) classic Submariner, and I’ve always felt the cyclops was a key part of its look, symmetry meddling as it is. Its value is irrelevant to me as I will never sell mine, but I would find current prices a bit of an ask next to the new equivalent. If I didn’t have one I would probably seek out a new 41mm one and be happy with that.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I have to admit that six months ago I thought used Rolex SS model prices would fall over the summer and during the rest of 2020 ...... but I was completely wrong

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    I have to admit that six months ago I thought used Rolex SS model prices would fall over the summer and during the rest of 2020 ...... but I was completely wrong
    I feel that any asset that has the potential to hold its value will do better than cash right now. With interest rates so low and the QE, hard assets can only go one way compared to the equivalent cash values.

Quote Originally Posted by Captaincook View Post
    Hi All

Looking at some of the sport model Rolex's on Chrono24, (specifically the 16610), for the last 12 months the asking prices seem to be ever increasing. What is the opinion here, is this a bubble because of the general economy i.e. cash is safer in a watch or is there something else push the prices along.

If you were after a 16610, would you buy now or wait?
    I don’t think by waiting you’ll get it cheaper.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I think the 16610 is finally being more appreciated, after years in the doldrums. Too ubiquitous initially, then left out by the cults of the ND subs and Seadweller, not an LV, not blingy and ceramic, and didn’t have a cool superhero name.

It is however THE (imho) classic Submariner, and I’ve always felt the cyclops was a key part of its look, symmetry meddling as it is. Its value is irrelevant to me as I will never sell mine, but I would find current prices a bit of an ask next to the new equivalent. If I didn’t have one I would probably seek out a new 41mm one and be happy with that.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Completely agree with all this! All this talk, I need to get mine out of the safe and swap with the Zenith