closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vintage Seiko 6309 7040 Help.........

Vintage Seiko 6309 7040 Help.........

Wondered if anyone could help with the following.

Purchased a 6309 7040 recently that was described as all original, one owner watch that had been used on numerous dives but had essentially never had any work done to it and was in essence as it left the shop.

On the surface the pictures looked good. Dial, bezel and insert (pip etc) appeared original. I was unsure whether the hands had been replaced but they too seemed genuine, flatter seconds hand. Caseback is fine. All as expected.

Upon receipt I noticed the crown screwed out without issue but had to be pulled away from the case rather than "popping" out. I'm not sure whether the spring is in the crown tube and full of gunk and remains compressed, or whether it's just missing. Not a major issue but if it isn't there it suggests it has had work at some point. Anyway, crown pushes back down minus the spring compression phase and the threads seem fine as it locks to the case.

My bigger problem is with the inner chapter ring and/ or crystal retaining gasket. Initially thought the crystal was causing a visual distortion but looking at it closely one or both look "bent" and not a perfect circumfrence/ circular. Now that I've seen it I can't seem to get past it.

I had suspected the chapter ring had been poorly handled in to position or forced somewhat. The seller however is adamant they know the full history of the watch and any such notion just isn't possible. To suggest otherwise would be calling them a liar. Fair enough. Would it therefore be possible for this distortion of the metal chapter ring or gasket ring to occur through numerous dives if they were deep enough or is such a thought ridiculous? This aside are replacements available to remedy the issue?

Last picture probably shows the issue best at the "50" and "55" marker although issue also appears on the opposite side of the dial to a lesser degree.
    Last edited by RLE; 9th November 2020 at 18:23.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks to be a pretty nice 6309, I see what you mean about the distortion but I have no idea why its there, the crown spring is more than likely just aged and lost its spring.

Thanks Tiger. Yes, it’s a really nice example but the distortion has taken a little shine off the acquisition. Not as bad in the flesh but like anything, once you know it’s there it seems to shout at you.

Appreciate your input on the spring. Think you will probably be right.

Last edited by RLE; 10th November 2020 at 00:04.

It looks to be a nice original example.

My concern is the crystal gasket seating ring. You mentioned the flat areas. It looks damaged at the 37 minute marker. A possible dent or crack perhaps? As you said, it does not look perfectly round. The crystal gasket appears to be seated properly, so my guess is a damaged seating ring. That is odd. It could have been accidently damaged during a crystal or gasket change, and someone has (unsuccessfully) tried to manipulate it back in to shape.

How does the top surface of the chapter ring look?

The crown spring issue is fairly common on these classic Seiko Diver's. It's just general wear. Losing its spring is spot on. If the spring is not corroded, it can be stretched slightly and that should solve the problem. Personally, I'd just leave it.
    Last edited by j111dja; 10th November 2020 at 01:08.

Master
    It almost looks like something has been trapped between the chapter ring and seating ring when the crystal retaining ring has been snapped on- easily fixed - hopefully the chapter rings not been damaged
    The seating ring looks ‘wavey’ between 33 and 53 - as has been said maybe someone has tried to reshape a damaged one
    Looks a nice honest example

Edit
    That said could it be the crystal?
    The 1st pic looks completely different to the last - taken from different angles
    Are you compliment to pop the bezel and crystal retaining ring off and examine?
    I’m intrigued now
    Last edited by lewie; 10th November 2020 at 08:12.

Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    My concern is the crystal gasket seating ring. You mentioned the flat areas. It looks damaged at the 37 minute marker. A possible dent or crack perhaps? As you said, it does not look perfectly round. The crystal gasket appears to be seated properly, so my guess is a damaged seating ring. That is odd. It could have been accidently damaged during a crystal or gasket change, and someone has (unsuccessfully) tried to manipulate it back in to shape.
    Good spot. Just checked and it is thannkfully just the crystal that is chipped at the 37 minute marker. Ring underneath appears fine.

How does the top surface of the chapter ring look?
    Looks in good condition. Nothing jumps out

The crown spring issue is fairly common on these classic Seiko Diver's. It's just general wear. Losing its spring is spot on. If the spring is not corroded, it can be stretched slightly and that should solve the problem. Personally, I'd just leave it.
    Thanks for the information. Good to know that it isn't something to be too concerned with and I can park that particular issue.

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    It almost looks like something has been trapped between the chapter ring and seating ring when the crystal retaining ring has been snapped on- easily fixed - hopefully the chapter rings not been damaged
    The seating ring looks ‘wavey’ between 33 and 53 - as has been said maybe someone has tried to reshape a damaged one
    Think you both may be right. I initially thought the chapter ring sat inside the metal gasket that you could see and which appears damaged, but after seeing pictures of a stripped 7040 I get where you and j111dja are coming from.

That said could it be the crystal?
    The 1st pic looks completely different to the last - taken from different angles
    Are you compliment to pop the bezel and crystal retaining ring off and examine?
    I’m intrigued now
    You've got me wondering too. Think it may just be the angles of the picture but my eyes are playing all types of tricks as I over analyse. Unfortunately my competence extends to strap changes so nothing I can clarify. I had anticipated a movement service and was going to send it to Duncan for his thoughts. He's got quite a backlog at the moment though and isn't taking on work. The movement is however running strongly losing very little time over the last 48 hours or so.

Looks a nice honest example
    Does seem to be the general consensus. I maybe shouldn't be too harsh given that it is, in the main, original. Well at least the important bits are in situ.

Am I right in assuming, absolute worse case..........if the gasket seating ring or crystal seating ring are beyond repair that replacements are not available and I'd perhaps have to butcher a cheap donor watch for the parts? My wife has of course suggested a cheaper and much easier fix of just enjoying the damn thing. She has a point!!

Thanks for the contributions so far. They have genuinely been a great help.

Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    Think you both may be right. I initially thought the chapter ring sat inside the metal gasket that you could see and which appears damaged, but after seeing pictures of a stripped 7040 I get where you and j111dja are coming from.

You've got me wondering too. Think it may just be the angles of the picture but my eyes are playing all types of tricks as I over analyse. Unfortunately my competence extends to strap changes so nothing I can clarify. I had anticipated a movement service and was going to send it to Duncan for his thoughts. He's got quite a backlog at the moment though and isn't taking on work. The movement is however running strongly losing very little time over the last 48 hours or so.

Does seem to be the general consensus. I maybe shouldn't be too harsh given that it is, in the main, original. Well at least the important bits are in situ.

Am I right in assuming, absolute worse case..........if the gasket seating ring or crystal seating ring are beyond repair that replacements are not available and I'd perhaps have to butcher a cheap donor watch for the parts? My wife has of course suggested a cheaper and much easier fix of just enjoying the damn thing. She has a point!!

Thanks for the contributions so far. They have genuinely been a great help.
    A crystal gasket should not be a problem. I'm unsure how readily available a gasket seating ring is these days. That sits on top of the chapter ring.

As long as the cost of the watch wasn't excessive then just wear it and enjoy it.

Most vintage Seiko Diver's never see water these days and it's never recommended to swim with one unless pressure tested, but even when tested, I keep mine out of water. I leave that to the modern day stuff.

As long as the cost of the watch wasn't excessive then just wear it and enjoy it.
    I think you've hit the nail on the head. Cost was "toppy" I'd say at £450.00 but it had been the best example for quite a number of months. All the others were only slightly cheaper (if not more expensive) with aftermarket parts or ridiculously expensive for what looked like battered beaters.
    Last edited by RLE; 10th November 2020 at 15:57.

Am I right in assuming, absolute worse case..........if the gasket seating ring or crystal seating ring are beyond repair .
    Over the years I have took 100s of 6309 apart and never once was the gasket seating ring damaged but obviously there is always a first time :)

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Over the years I have took 100s of 6309 apart and never once was the gasket seating ring damaged but obviously there is always a first time :)
    I'm the same. Not hundreds but at least forty 6309's, 7548's and 6306's.

Master
    Bry has produced some AM crystal gaskets and the ‘ring’ spans a few models
    As you’ve said if it’s running strong why not enjoy it as it is at least for now
    I’m sure the minor imperfections may ‘fade’ - enjoy it for what it is - a vintage piece

Thanks. A decision made easier thanks to the valued contributions on the thread.

Thought it best to update the thread as the contents may be a useful reference for others.

Finally got around to sending the watch to Rich Askham @ The Watch Spot for some tlc. Timekeeping was okay but it didn’t have a great poor power reserve. The crown was also getting a little tight to screw down so i didn’t want to risk any damage to the tube. I thought it would also be the perfect opportunity to address the chapter ring issue that I had initially raised concern over.

Rich was able to confirm the watch had in all probability never been opened or tampered with which was consistent with the originality and general condition. Oil in the movement was completely dry and the caseback and crown gaskets had emulsified into black goop (the reason the crown had become difficult to screw down). The crystal gasket had also turned soft but hadn’t completely disintegrated, which accounted for the optical illusion of the chapter ring being distorted and bent. New gaskets have now been fitted along with a new crystal, and it’s had a full strip down, clean and movement service so good for a few years at least.

Really impressed with the work and quick turnaround. Used Rich a few times and he’s always super helpful and worth contacting if you need any service or repair work.

Master
    Thought it best to update the thread as the contents may be a useful reference for others.

Finally got around to sending the watch to Rich Askham @ The Watch Spot for some tlc. Timekeeping was okay but it didn’t have a great poor power reserve. The crown was also getting a little tight to screw down so i didn’t want to risk any damage to the tube. I thought it would also be the perfect opportunity to address the chapter ring issue that I had initially raised concern over.

Rich was able to confirm the watch had in all probability never been opened or tampered with which was consistent with the originality and general condition. Oil in the movement was completely dry and the caseback and crown gaskets had emulsified into black goop (the reason the crown had become difficult to screw down). The crystal gasket had also turned soft but hadn’t completely disintegrated, which accounted for the optical illusion of the chapter ring being distorted and bent. New gaskets have now been fitted along with a new crystal, and it’s had a full strip down, clean and movement service so good for a few years at least.

Really impressed with the work and quick turnaround. Used Rich a few times and he’s always super helpful and worth contacting if you need any service or repair work.
    Great but … we need a pic

Paired on the Uncle Seiko Oyster.

Did pick up one of Brys crystals too Lewie following your comment so thanks for the recommendation.

Great result, always nice to see a all original 6309 these days, not very common sadly.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Looks like a good example. Was the crown rebuilt also?

Quote Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
    Looks like a good example. Was the crown rebuilt also?
    No, the rubber gasket had disintegrated and was causing the friction. Once removed and cleaned all threads were fine and in good order. Screws down nice and smoothly.

Master
    No, the rubber gasket had disintegrated and was causing the friction. Once removed and cleaned all threads were fine and in good order. Screws down nice and smoothly.

Good stuff.