closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hirsch phasing in quick release spring bars

Hirsch phasing in quick release spring bars

Hirsch are phasing out traditional spring bar fittings in favour of quick release ones.
    Last edited by Velorum; 2nd January 2021 at 15:21.

The next time that somebody asks me to define a "First World Problem", I shall refer them to this thread :-)

Master
    My understanding Ian is that all new Hirsch straps will be QR. Personally I like them and have a few, not had any bad experiences yet, "yet" being the operative word maybe.

My Oris heritage diver came with QR as standard from new.

I can't stand them. The ends are usually too thin, allowing the strap to shift about, and the little knob is too fiddly to use without a tool anyway.

Some straps are designed so you can easily remove them, but on most the only way to get rid is to damage the strap.

Yuk!
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 9th November 2020 at 17:36.

Master
    I suppose as the idea of changing straps becomes more mainstream this is kind of inevitable.

I bought a couple of higher-end custom straps recently from different sources - both came with QR springbars and neither offered the option of standard springbars. I'd planned to use curved springbars with these straps so needed to remove the pre-installed ones, and the notches cut out for the quick release pins definitely create an unneccessary weakness.

I don't think I've had a Hirsch strap for a few years now but I find this trend vaguely annoying because I have a few watches that take female spring bars. After some practice normal straps can be fitted but I don't see that these will.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Having ordered a few from WatchObsession recently I am rather perturbed to hear from Gary that Hirsch are phasing out traditional spring bar fittings in favour of quick release ones.
    Can see the attraction from Hirsch's POV - makes strap changing easier so they sell more. Personally, I've never liked QR bars, so won't be buying any more Hirsch... I'd always be a bit anxious about releasing the strap accidentally. Apart from anything else there's a hole in the strap next to the skin, guaranteed to be a nice warm cave for bacteria and sweat to accumulate and incubate - maybe even eventually chewing through the leather! Hehe...
    Last edited by Geralt; 10th November 2020 at 19:03.

Big fan of Di-Modell and Rios1931. Morellato also worth checking out. I'm sure you could find something that suits.

Watchbandcenter: https://www.watch-band-center.com/shop-watchstrap.html

ukwatchstrap: https://ukwatchstrap.co.uk/index.html

Apprentice
    Loads of other brands being offered by WatchObsession, not just Hirsch

www.WatchObsession.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Its important that I can buy straps in 110/70
    I wish more manufacturers offered this length. I own a number of nice RIOS M straps for example that don't get any wear as they are too long for my wrist on almost all of my watches.
    Last edited by dschaen81; 11th November 2020 at 13:28. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    I suppose as the idea of changing straps becomes more mainstream this is kind of inevitable.
    It never even occurred to me, until recently, that the idea of changing straps isn't mainstream.

Buying a watch for my mum, I had a short debate with my siblings about the strap that came on a watch, why they 100% discounted a £1000 watch because they didn't like the 20 quid strap it came on. I didn't realise until that time that most people think of a watch as the strap too and if you don't like the strap then don't buy the watch.

Just rummaged through the strap drawer and found a Kaufmann shell cordovan strap that's 115/75. Doesn't look like much when compared to the regular 120/80 straps, but on my wrist this certainly works much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    Can see the attraction from Hirsch's POV - makes strap changing easier so they sell more. Personally, I've never liked QR bars, so won't be buying any more Hirsch... I'd always be a bit anxious about releasing the strap accidentally. Apart from anything else there's a hole in the strap next to the skin, guaranteed to be a nice warm cave for bacteria and sweat to accumulate and incubate - maybe even eventually chewing through the leather! Hehe...
    ^^^ this.

QR bars is an exercise in dumbing down for the masses, which only makes them (the masses) even dumber. And so it goes on. Learn to use tools. Do a proper job. Get skilled and knowledgable. Etc.

I expected better from Hirsch of all people

It's easy enough to change out the Hirsch QR springbar though with one that has a fatter tip. Question is does anyone know of a QR springbar with fatter tips that will fit snugly in most modern watches? I have 3 Hirsch pure natural rubber straps on each watch they are on there is some minor play at the lug holes because the tips are thinner than the stock springbar that came with the watch. I have swapped one pair out for QR bars found on ZuluDiver straps and that has helped but there's still a bit of play so I'm looking for an alternative QR springbar I can swap out on all the straps with so the tips are perfectly fitting to the holes.

What an utterly bizarre thread! Quality QR springbars (like Hirsch) are every bit as good as any other kind, quicker and easier to change, and you run less risk of damaging your lugs - why make life needlessly difficult with pointless elitist faff?

As for the presence of one small hole making them less hygienic - have you ever looked at the underside of (for example) most of Hirsch's sports straps:

And then there's leather... . . . it's the skin of a dead animal! Full of pores, absorbent, spongy, a proper cheese-factory...

Dunno about most of you ITT, but I wash me and my straps (even the leather ones) pretty regularly!