closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Solent Military Training

Solent Military Training

Soon after the Nave Andromeda incident they were at it again, but this time just an exercise. Fast roping down to a Red Funnel ferry (must have been exciting for the crew, they hardly ever steam along the Solent as opposed to across it ). Sorry about the naff soundtrack.

I guess that explains why there was a Chinook over our house (Southampton) last Wednesday. We're inside Southampton Airport's ATZ, so we don't generally see anything that isn't coming from or going to the airport (or passing over it.)

Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    I guess that explains why there was a Chinook over our house (Southampton) last Wednesday. We're inside Southampton Airport's ATZ, so we don't generally see anything that isn't coming from or going to the airport (or passing over it.)
    The exercise took place well away from me but there was a lot of traffic above my area on the night they sorted out the Nave Andromeda.

In a previous life, before retirement, we used to be involved with drills by the SAS and SBS in Southampton docks. The last one involved the hijacking of a passenger vessel of 100 crew and 250 passengers by a group of terrorists. It was a full-scale drill involving Hampshire constabulary, who were in charge, and the SAS/SBS who were asked for their assistance by the Home Secretary. As I say, it was full-on and lasted 3 or 4 days. It ended after a scaling of the vessel both from the water and land/helicopter. It was very impressive but the SAS bosses said it was a highly unlikely scenario. The number of hostages was almost unmanageable to a small group of terrorists for any length of time and a more likely scenario was to hijack a tanker or chemical carrier with a crew of a dozen or so and cause an ecological or environmental incident. It was a very interesting experience. Their organising skills and professionalism is impressive. Even if they killed you, you would just know it was nothing personal. :)
    Last edited by Dunce; 10th November 2020 at 14:09.

Lucky someone already aboard to grab the rope...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Lucky someone already aboard to grab the rope...
    that was my first thought and how slow they where.

Obviously they hadnt watched the training film.

Another Chinook overhead today at about 1pm.
    Anything exciting going on?

Master
    I could tell you, but then...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk