closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 188

Thread: The Indoor Rowing Thread

  1. #101
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Well that was a bit of a surprise. Did a few intervals and was going to call it a day but decided to have a go at the one minute ranking. Died badly in the last 10 seconds but still managed 334 metres which is 'only' 5 metres short of the British record, and 4th worldwide this year for old gits.

    I was hoping for about 315-320, so quite pleased.
    Nice work!!

  2. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Not having a Concept machine it's a shame I can't join!
    They're hard to get hold of at the moment as well. Hopefully gyms will be back open soon.


    Quote Originally Posted by carlyrox View Post
    Joined the TZUK Rowing club and just completed my 1st 500 mtrs in years. 1:48:2s today though years ago I managed 1:27:5s. Will make sure I keep trying this together with my cycling.

    Another attempt at 500mtrs 20mins later and managed 1:39.9s. As I get closer to 57yrs, I am happy with that.

    Now off to watch Rugby.


    Regards.

    Keith.



    Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

    Looks like you're quite close to where I am at the moment, but without any training! It's good to compete against your younger self I think. One of the advantages of always being crap is I don't have much to beat!

    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Just joined the TZUK Rowing Club today - even though I'm out of action (damaged my foot).

    Have never tried one of the Challenges before so will be sure to try a few to see how I get on. Completely aware that I'm not going to be climbing up any leader boards!



    Might motivate me to row more though and that has to be a good thing.
    The important thing is finding something that motivates you to get do something. For some it's records, for some it's challenges, and for others it just might be coming on here and feeling guilty because other people are doing stuff!

  3. #103
    Master subseastu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ashby, uk
    Posts
    1,935
    Did 5km today after adjusting the drag to about 130 (think it was 136). I altered my technique to try to be explosive from the start position. I thought this will be ok and I'll bang out 10km no bother. Pooped by 5km and lost interest. I did bring down my split time though from 2m 16/17s to 2m 9s! I'm not sure how long I can maintain that though and to be honest I feel comfier upping the drag to about 180-200 and just grinding it out rather than doing the more explosive way as I feel more confident about not doing my back in

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Did 5km today after adjusting the drag to about 130 (think it was 136). I altered my technique to try to be explosive from the start position. I thought this will be ok and I'll bang out 10km no bother. Pooped by 5km and lost interest. I did bring down my split time though from 2m 16/17s to 2m 9s! I'm not sure how long I can maintain that though and to be honest I feel comfier upping the drag to about 180-200 and just grinding it out rather than doing the more explosive way as I feel more confident about not doing my back in
    You can only go on how you feel personally, but the 'experts' caution against too high a drag factor because that's what's likely to lead to a back injury! I can see what you mean though - it's a heavier movement but probably feels more linear and controlled.

  5. #105
    Master subseastu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ashby, uk
    Posts
    1,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    You can only go on how you feel personally, but the 'experts' caution against too high a drag factor because that's what's likely to lead to a back injury! I can see what you mean though - it's a heavier movement but probably feels more linear and controlled.
    Yes exactly this, grinding it out just feels to have a more constant tension on the lower back to me than risking bad form with a curved back and popping a disk (again) with a fast push back. Maybe as time goes on and I increase my core strength I will move back to the proper way. To be honest I'm not overly concerned about mental split times and only use it as a guide to make sure I'm not slipping backwards. Its mainly for the cardio.

  6. #106
    Master subseastu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ashby, uk
    Posts
    1,935
    Also rather annoyingly I can't connect my andriod phone using the Ergdata app to the PM5 here at work via bluetooth. It only gives the option for "Connect heart rate" ANT+ or bluetooth smart in the more options page. Press that and its searching for heart rate monitor only. There is nothing plugged into the back of the monitor. When I try to pair to the machine via the app nothing comes up on my phone. I'm wondering if its an old software version that didn't have bluetooth capability to the app?

  7. #107
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Hertfordshire UK
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Well that was a bit of a surprise. Did a few intervals and was going to call it a day but decided to have a go at the one minute ranking. Died badly in the last 10 seconds but still managed 334 metres which is 'only' 5 metres short of the British record, and 4th worldwide this year for old gits.

    I was hoping for about 315-320, so quite pleased.
    Thatís amazing !!! I just had a go at 1 minute as not tried it before and only managed 327. What did you have damper setting on? I used 10 for this and the 500m challenge

    Iíve been dropping it down to about 6 1/2 for longer distances which gives me a drag factor of about 140 and trying the more explosive technique mentioned above. Still not sure Iíve got the technique right

  8. #108
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,509
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Also rather annoyingly I can't connect my andriod phone using the Ergdata app to the PM5 here at work via bluetooth. It only gives the option for "Connect heart rate" ANT+ or bluetooth smart in the more options page. Press that and its searching for heart rate monitor only. There is nothing plugged into the back of the monitor. When I try to pair to the machine via the app nothing comes up on my phone. I'm wondering if its an old software version that didn't have bluetooth capability to the app?
    Have you tried connecting via the app as opposed to the PM5? With iPhone, I open the app and there is an option to connect. I also press Connect on the PM5 so it is in that menu setting.
    Obviously might be different on Android.

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by PAM580 View Post
    Thatís amazing !!! I just had a go at 1 minute as not tried it before and only managed 327. What did you have damper setting on? I used 10 for this and the 500m challenge

    Iíve been dropping it down to about 6 1/2 for longer distances which gives me a drag factor of about 140 and trying the more explosive technique mentioned above. Still not sure Iíve got the technique right

    Thanks. 327 is very good for a first try at the minute. Given age and weight and your 500m time, you'll sail past 334 with a bit of practice. I set the damper around 8. It's showing a drag factor of 175. I'd normally have it at about 125-130 for longer pieces. No idea if that's optimal for me, I just thought 10 might be too heavy for a minute.

    The British record for my age/weight is 339, which seems possible. Pace dropped off by about 3-4 seconds on the split in the last 10 seconds or so. If I can hold on a little longer it could be done. But that could be my limit. We'll see!

  10. #110
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Coming Straight Outer Trumpton
    Posts
    8,161
    Sorry for the obvious q but youíve turned on Bluetooth in the pm5 menu?

  11. #111
    Master subseastu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ashby, uk
    Posts
    1,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Sorry for the obvious q but youíve turned on Bluetooth in the pm5 menu?
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Have you tried connecting via the app as opposed to the PM5? With iPhone, I open the app and there is an option to connect. I also press Connect on the PM5 so it is in that menu setting.
    Obviously might be different on Android.
    I did a little digging last night and it looks like the rowing machine I'm using has the original firmware from the factory and hasn't been updated in approx 3 years. This explains why the is no option for turning on bluetooth and why the app can't find it. So unless I can install an update (I'll have to talk to someone up the food chain to see if I'm allowed to do this) I'll just have to log everything manually while I'm here.

  12. #112
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    689
    ... if itís any consolation, I still end up logging some manually as the drafted ergdata or aSensei still lunch some workouts even if it can connect (*) - at least then you can still tot up the figures for the year/month/whatever..
    (*) - appears to be some Bluetooth bug they still havenít fixed..


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  13. #113
    Think I need some Weetabix! After topping rankings on the one minute distance, I thought the 100m would be a doddle. Four attempts over the past couple of weeks and exactly the same result every time, (17.1 secs) which is a couple of 10ths off the top.

    I've been watching some Black Horse rowing videos on Youtube which are interesting. One thing he recommends is to sometimes row with just legs or just back and arms with fixed legs. Legs are supposed to provide most of the power in the stroke and yet I can generate more power with back and arms than legs - so I reckon I'm doing something wrong. Not sure what though.

  14. #114
    Master Wolfie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    6,295
    Blog Entries
    1
    Inspired by this threadÖ. I got got hold of a V Fit tornado rowerÖ. Granted, itís not a concept 2 , but, itís solid- air resistance and chain operatedÖ. On the days I donít run I do 20 mins averaging around 120bpm just to keep me feeling invigorated! I put a shift inÖ. Feels nice

    Music on loud - itís not a bad way to pass 20 minsÖ
    Last edited by Wolfie; 3rd December 2020 at 21:45.

  15. #115
    Master Thewatchbloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Berkshire UK
    Posts
    6,759
    Iím on Concepts list for a new machine, 11 weeks wait from when I signed up a couple of weeks ago.

  16. #116
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Iím on Concepts list for a new machine, 11 weeks wait from when I signed up a couple of weeks ago.
    What's the price on new ones now?

  17. #117
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Hertfordshire UK
    Posts
    432
    100m is tough, I always end up falling off the seat half way through lol

    I think Iím still doing it wrong as I feel like I can generate more power with arms/back also.

    One thing Iím trying not to do is lift my heels slightly on reverse stroke but keep feet completely flat. No idea If
    Thatís right though

  18. #118
    Quote Originally Posted by PAM580 View Post
    100m is tough, I always end up falling off the seat half way through lol

    I think Iím still doing it wrong as I feel like I can generate more power with arms/back also.

    One thing Iím trying not to do is lift my heels slightly on reverse stroke but keep feet completely flat. No idea If
    Thatís right though
    I think flat heels is better, but it depends on flexibility a bit. I always feel I have more power in my legs than I can transfer to the machine, whereas I feel like I'm getting what there is out of back and arms. I've experimented with the foot placing a bit but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

    Funny you should mention falling off the seat. When I rowed years ago. I often came close to falling off on 100m, but it's not happening now, which leads me to think I'm not pushing hard enough with my legs somehow!

  19. #119
    Master Thewatchbloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Berkshire UK
    Posts
    6,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    What's the price on new ones now?
    I'm on the list for a Concept 2 Model D PM5 but annoyingly there's no price listed, just a "join waiting list" button. New boxed ones are available on Ebay for around £1,200 upwards so I would have thought around the £1,000 mark. If I didn't have a rower I'd have seriously thoughty of getting a new boxed one off ebay but I'll carry on with my non connected Bodymax in the meantime.

    I managed 8,846m in 35m dead on Monday which bought my average for the whole distance down to 1.58. That's the first time I've dipped below 2.00 so was very happy!

  20. #120
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    What's the price on new ones now?
    £860 new for Model D directly from Concept 2 once you get to the top of the waiting list

    Dan

  21. #121
    Master Thewatchbloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Berkshire UK
    Posts
    6,759
    ^^^ I've just been back to check and it turns out I'd joined the USA sites waiting list when I signed up. Oops.

    I'm now on the UK one and as you say it's £860 with a 10 week lead time so I've already shaved a week off my expected delivery time.

    Good job I checked!

  22. #122
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    ^^^ I've just been back to check and it turns out I'd joined the USA sites waiting list when I signed up. Oops.

    I'm now on the UK one and as you say it's £860 with a 10 week lead time so I've already shaved a week off my expected delivery time.

    Good job I checked!
    Good stuff, got mine a few weeks ago but been slowly clearing my garage to make a good gym space so not unboxed yet. Should be finished this weekend canít wait!
    Last edited by DANH; 4th December 2020 at 10:14.

  23. #123
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    ^^^ I've just been back to check and it turns out I'd joined the USA sites waiting list when I signed up. Oops.

    I'm now on the UK one and as you say it's £860 with a 10 week lead time so I've already shaved a week off my expected delivery time.

    Good job I checked!
    That's actually quite cheap I think. I vaguely remember paying £750 or so for mine over 20 years ago.

  24. #124
    Got around to videoing myself on the rower this afternoon and was shocked by how short the stroke is. Now working on pivoting at the hips more and stretching a little further forward. Looks better but we'll see.

    Now had a go at the only distances I've got any chance of getting near the top of the rankings and/or British records at...i.e 100m, 1 min and 500m. Very little chance of getting near the 500m record which has stood for 13 years (I'm 6 seconds off!) but only 5 metres off the 1 min record and I think I've got a chance there. I'm half a second off the 100m record, which is a lot, but haven't given up on it.

    Meanwhile, doing about 3/4 sessions a week. Mainly intervals and some steady state but no more than 5,000-6,000m. Boredom threshold allows no more.

  25. #125
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Hertfordshire UK
    Posts
    432
    Iíve been doing the charity challenge thing and Iím up to about 120k metres but Iíve got a steroid injection next week due to tendinitis in groin so Iíll be out of action for a month or so 👎🏻

    Looking at the January challenge, 30 hours in January 😱 I was oddly looking forward to an hour a day but wonít be able to do it now ☹️

    Havenít got close to any records. Tried 100m a few times and 17.1 was my best with damper setting at 10 and 7 managed exactly same time !

  26. #126
    Quote Originally Posted by PAM580 View Post
    Iíve been doing the charity challenge thing and Iím up to about 120k metres but Iíve got a steroid injection next week due to tendinitis in groin so Iíll be out of action for a month or so 

    Looking at the January challenge, 30 hours in January  I was oddly looking forward to an hour a day but wonít be able to do it now ☹️

    Havenít got close to any records. Tried 100m a few times and 17.1 was my best with damper setting at 10 and 7 managed exactly same time !

    Annoying when injury messes you up. I've had a bad shoulder since May but it doesn't seem to bother me on the rower.

    I'm stuck on 17.1 as well for the 100. When I rowed before a few years ago, I got down to 16.6, and that's the British record for my current age group. There has to be a way!

  27. #127
    I had to temporarily stop running following an ankle injury (an annoyingly common hazard) so I've decided to get a rowing machine. I'm in a flat, so space is limited and noise is a concern, so I'm going to get a Waterrower rather than a Concept2. It's annoyingly difficult to find any good information online about the real differences between the A1 and S4 models though. Google just returns pages of affiliate SEO-spam sites and I have not found a single real review comparing the two models.

    I think the A1 would probably suit me a bit better because a common complaint about the classic Waterrower is the narrow foot spacing, which is less of an issue on the A1 with its monorail design. The main problem with the A1 seems to be the even-more-entry-level monitor that it comes with. But given that even the S4 lacks the advanced features of the C2 anyway, I'm not sure how much it matters.

    Does anyone here know from a practical perspective how much difference there really is between the A1 and S4 monitors? I understand one of the main differences is the ability (or not) to program in interval workouts, which is definitely something I would want to do, but since I can use my Apple Watch for interval timing and HR monitoring, I don't know that it matters. I'm pretty new to rowing though so I don't know what I don't know, if you know what I mean. You can get an S4 monitor retrofitted later, but you need to send the rower back to have it done. So it would be a massive pain if I found out after a couple of months that I was missing some really important feature.

  28. #128
    I donít really know about the water rower specifically but not being able to program intervals will be a problem I think - you wonít get accurate records for your score on the intervals if the machine is not able to do it. You might ďstopĒ when the timer tells you but the machine wonít and it will keep recording.

    I have a rowing friend in a similar situation to you and he bought one of the magnetic machines which he is reasonably happy with. Heís not (and never will be) a high standard rower.

  29. #129
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Coming Straight Outer Trumpton
    Posts
    8,161
    Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    I had to temporarily stop running following an ankle injury (an annoyingly common hazard) so I've decided to get a rowing machine. I'm in a flat, so space is limited and noise is a concern, so I'm going to get a Waterrower rather than a Concept2. It's annoyingly difficult to find any good information online about the real differences between the A1 and S4 models though. Google just returns pages of affiliate SEO-spam sites and I have not found a single real review comparing the two models.

    I think the A1 would probably suit me a bit better because a common complaint about the classic Waterrower is the narrow foot spacing, which is less of an issue on the A1 with its monorail design. The main problem with the A1 seems to be the even-more-entry-level monitor that it comes with. But given that even the S4 lacks the advanced features of the C2 anyway, I'm not sure how much it matters.

    Does anyone here know from a practical perspective how much difference there really is between the A1 and S4 monitors? I understand one of the main differences is the ability (or not) to program in interval workouts, which is definitely something I would want to do, but since I can use my Apple Watch for interval timing and HR monitoring, I don't know that it matters. I'm pretty new to rowing though so I don't know what I don't know, if you know what I mean. You can get an S4 monitor retrofitted later, but you need to send the rower back to have it done. So it would be a massive pain if I found out after a couple of months that I was missing some really important feature.

    Canít help with the comparison between s4 & a1 but I had used a c2 for years before the first lockdown when I got a sh s4, Iíve been using that since and canít say that I specifically noticed the narrower stance, I did notice the lower seat creating a higher (relatively) foot position but it was just different not off putting.

    What I did struggle with was the handle which I found narrow and a strange shape so I changed this for a new c2 one for ~£20 much more comfortable.

    Also Iím not sure if you have seen the smart row upgrade but it might be worth investigating as itís a home retro fit and presents much more info to a tablet/phone
    https://smartrow.fit/#/

  30. #130
    The water rowers look very nice and the silence will be important for some. I'd be interested to hear about durability from anyone who has had one for a while. Can't help suspecting that they won't be as hard wearing as the more utilitarian Concept 2.

  31. #131
    Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    I donít really know about the water rower specifically but not being able to program intervals will be a problem I think - you wonít get accurate records for your score on the intervals if the machine is not able to do it. You might ďstopĒ when the timer tells you but the machine wonít and it will keep recording.
    True, but as a starting point as long as it's possible to use the instantaneous readouts to keep in the desired training zone it should be possible to do intervals, maybe just not record them accurately (you'd just get an average). Given the Smartrow option, that might be good enough as a starting point, then upgrade later.

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    What I did struggle with was the handle which I found narrow and a strange shape so I changed this for a new c2 one for ~£20 much more comfortable.

    Also Iím not sure if you have seen the smart row upgrade but it might be worth investigating as itís a home retro fit and presents much more info to a tablet/phone
    https://smartrow.fit/#/
    Thanks, those both sound like good ideas. I'll probably be fine with the default handle at least to start with, but it's good to know it's easy to customise if not.

    I hadn't come across that Smartrow thing before. That looks good, though quite poorly advertised for some reason. That site doesn't even have a "how to buy" link! I managed to track it down on main Waterrower site by googling it. Since it doesn't cost a lot more than the S4 upgrade and seems to be a lot better, I think I'll go with the A1 and then add the Smartrow later. It's a DIY install anyway (even if you order it with the rower) so I may as well see how I get on with the basic monitor first.

  32. #132
    A newish machine available on SC if anyone wants one:

    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ardly-used-895


    There's a few weeks wait for these at the moment

  33. #133
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Coming Straight Outer Trumpton
    Posts
    8,161
    Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post



    Thanks, those both sound like good ideas. I'll probably be fine with the default handle at least to start with, but it's good to know it's easy to customise if not.

    I hadn't come across that Smartrow thing before. That looks good, though quite poorly advertised for some reason. That site doesn't even have a "how to buy" link! I managed to track it down on main Waterrower site by googling it. Since it doesn't cost a lot more than the S4 upgrade and seems to be a lot better, I think I'll go with the A1 and then add the Smartrow later. It's a DIY install anyway (even if you order it with the rower) so I may as well see how I get on with the basic monitor first.

    I canít recall who but I think someone on here has the smartrow but yeah there is not a bundle of info on the web about it.

    In case you decide to get the handle these are the parts:
    https://shop-uk.concept2.com/99-indo...ith-grips.html
    https://shop-uk.concept2.com/parts/2...le-u-bolt.html
    https://shop-uk.concept2.com/parts/2...le-u-bolt.html

  34. #134
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I canít recall who but I think someone on here has the smartrow but yeah there is not a bundle of info on the web about it.

    In case you decide to get the handle these are the parts:
    https://shop-uk.concept2.com/99-indo...ith-grips.html
    https://shop-uk.concept2.com/parts/2...le-u-bolt.html
    https://shop-uk.concept2.com/parts/2...le-u-bolt.html
    👍great, thanks for those links! I had a quick look earlier, but got a bit overwhelmed with the options and that's before I even knew I would need a special bolt as well!

  35. #135
    I said in the opening post to this that I was secretly hoping to have a go at some age/weight group British records. It was looking pretty hopeless when I started in october, but last night I managed to crack the 1 minute record. Okay being old and light, it was only 340 metres but it's still more than any other skinny old bloke has done! The goal now is to get the 100m record before New Year (I'm still 0.2 secs off) and then see how well I can do with some longer distances. No chance of any records, but it's always good to have something to aim for, for motivation.

  36. #136
    Master Thewatchbloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Berkshire UK
    Posts
    6,759
    Congratulations!

  37. #137
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    689
    Just in case anyone with a concept2 & apple device hasnít tried it - Asensei is free til the 28th..



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  38. #138
    Amazing work!

    We have a cheapy JLL R200 rower we bought in lockdown, but it gets quite a bit of use, so we'll look to upgrade it at some point, only problem is the noise a concept 2 makes in comparison!

  39. #139
    Quote Originally Posted by Miocene View Post
    Amazing work!

    We have a cheapy JLL R200 rower we bought in lockdown, but it gets quite a bit of use, so we'll look to upgrade it at some point, only problem is the noise a concept 2 makes in comparison!
    Yes, they're definitely quite noisy so not suitable for flats or where someone is trying to watch TV in the same room. On the plus side the build quality is bullet proof and it's a piece of equipment you can buy once and not worry for years.

  40. #140
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Hertfordshire UK
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    I said in the opening post to this that I was secretly hoping to have a go at some age/weight group British records. It was looking pretty hopeless when I started in october, but last night I managed to crack the 1 minute record. Okay being old and light, it was only 340 metres but it's still more than any other skinny old bloke has done! The goal now is to get the 100m record before New Year (I'm still 0.2 secs off) and then see how well I can do with some longer distances. No chance of any records, but it's always good to have something to aim for, for motivation.
    Great work !!! Iím counting down the days until I can get back on mine.

    Been 7 days off and probably another 2 weeks until I can start light training again.

  41. #141
    Just thought I'd give this a bump up for anyone wanting to join the TZUK rowing club on the Concept 2 website.

    Have now equaled the 100m record for age group but can't quite beat it at the moment. How hard can it be to find another tenth of a second? Rowing two or three times a week now, but mainly focusing on one minute and 500m intervals....basically anything that keeps me interested and stops me sitting in front of the telly. Might not be optimal training but it's better than doing nothing.

  42. #142
    Grand Master AlphaOmega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Trinovantum
    Posts
    10,438
    Well done!

    Really pleased for you. That's amazing.



    You are inspiring me to get out there early tomorrow morning.

  43. #143
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Just thought I'd give this a bump up for anyone wanting to join the TZUK rowing club on the Concept 2 website.

    Have now equaled the 100m record for age group but can't quite beat it at the moment. How hard can it be to find another tenth of a second? Rowing two or three times a week now, but mainly focusing on one minute and 500m intervals....basically anything that keeps me interested and stops me sitting in front of the telly. Might not be optimal training but it's better than doing nothing.
    Thatís fantastic!

    Id love to join, but according to my update email Iíll likely have to wait another 14 weeks!!!
    It's just a matter of time...

  44. #144
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Thatís fantastic!

    Id love to join, but according to my update email Iíll likely have to wait another 14 weeks!!!
    I've joined the waiting list as well. Had my machine for over 20 years so think I deserve an upgrade. I'm about the same time frame I think although if the lockdown with regard to gym's ends, I think a lot of the queue will disappear before then. Better weather is also likely to make people change their plans.If I was Concept 2 I'd be having people work 24 hours a day to turn machines out. They can't rely on this level of demand holding up.

  45. #145
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Coming Straight Outer Trumpton
    Posts
    8,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    I've joined the waiting list as well. Had my machine for over 20 years so think I deserve an upgrade. I'm about the same time frame I think although if the lockdown with regard to gym's ends, I think a lot of the queue will disappear before then. Better weather is also likely to make people change their plans.If I was Concept 2 I'd be having people work 24 hours a day to turn machines out. They can't rely on this level of demand holding up.
    If I was them Iíd be considering the mid term effect, with two lockdowns anyone with the means and interest will likely have ordered one, plus once we are out of lockdown I suspect the s/h market will drop in price significantly due to the oversupply of Ďclothes driersí coming to market.

    Both these points and perhaps a lack of new gyms or gyms refreshing kit could mean leaner times...

  46. #146
    I joined the waiting list a couple of weeks ago so will be joining around easter why mine is likely to arrive!

  47. #147
    Iím quite looking forward to joining in. I used to quite enjoy the rowing at our local gym, but have t used the rower in a few years, preferring the cross trainer as I can burn 30%-40% more calories per session on that. But, I can leave the cross trainer to the gym, and have a play at rowing and the exercise bike at home :)


    What fitness watch/heart rate monitor are most people using with the concept 2. I always used to wear a Polar with chest strap at the gym for any cardio, but would prefer a wrist based monitor if it can replicate the accuracy well enough.
    It's just a matter of time...

  48. #148
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Coming Straight Outer Trumpton
    Posts
    8,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I’m quite looking forward to joining in. I used to quite enjoy the rowing at our local gym, but have t used the rower in a few years, preferring the cross trainer as I can burn 30%-40% more calories per session on that. But, I can leave the cross trainer to the gym, and have a play at rowing and the exercise bike at home :)


    What fitness watch/heart rate monitor are most people using with the concept 2. I always used to wear a Polar with chest strap at the gym for any cardio, but would prefer a wrist based monitor if it can replicate the accuracy well enough.
    The movement involved in rowing doesn’t work well with wrist based optical hrm.

    If you still have a ant chest based hrm you should still be able to pair it to the c2 pm5 computer.

    If not then polar / wahoo do optical hrm that sit on the bicep, I use the wahoo. Pairs with a pm5 via ant+ and Bluetooth to my garmin fenix 5+

    Re watch most of the current garmin offerings have a rowing function.

    As ever dcrainmaker is a good source for fitness watch info
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 26th January 2021 at 15:03.

  49. #149
    Cheers

    Looks like I’ll be digging out the chest strap - if I can find it. I was hoping for a complete solution that I could just wear discreetly 24/7 though.
    It's just a matter of time...

  50. #150
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Coming Straight Outer Trumpton
    Posts
    8,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Cheers

    Looks like Iíll be digging out the chest strap - if I can find it. I was hoping for a complete solution that I could just wear discreetly 24/7 though.
    Kinda depends what you want to track...

    If itís 24/7 hr and fitness data, no reason not to get a garmin just check it will reccice ant+ from your chest strap.

    As ant is a broadcast format it can be sent to the watch and the pm5 so both will have hr data.

    You will then get the watch based data in your garmin 24 view and detailed c2 data on there platform which I think also links to strava now if you use that

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information