closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recommend someone to engrave rotor

Master

Recommend someone to engrave rotor

Can anyone recommend someone to engrave a coupe of rotors? The rotors are Cheap from an NH36 so not high value but I want to personalise them and put a clear back on the case.

Master
    Anyone ? Please make me buy a Dremel and make a mess of it !

Grand Master
    Really can’t see the appeal of engraving a rotor on any watch, let alone a Seiko!

I don’t ‘get’ glass casebacks, even on elaborate watches I don’t see any attraction. Once a watch movement is assembled, refitted, and the watch has been regulated, I don’t want to see the movement again, I’ve seen enough of it.

I rebuilt the engine on my car but I’ve no wish to look down the spark plug holes to drool over the pistons and bores!

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I don’t ‘get’ glass casebacks, even on elaborate watches I don’t see any attraction. Once a watch movement is assembled, refitted, and the watch has been regulated, I don’t want to see the movement again, I’ve seen enough of it.
    I don't have any watches with exhibition casebacks but if I had this I wouldn't even look at the dial. How can you not want to see that?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I don't have any watches with exhibition casebacks but if I had this I wouldn't even look at the dial. How can you not want to see that?
    Yeah, have to agree it has aesthetic value, but I’ve never seen the point of excessive decoration to a movement. Maybe I’m just a hard- nosed philistine after all.

My car - engine analogy is slightly flawed too; the car in question is my 1970 MGB, the car isn’t quite up to show condition but it’s a nice one, and I confess to enjoying looking at the engine bay. Double standards?.......probably!

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Yeah, have to agree it has aesthetic value, but I’ve never seen the point of excessive decoration to a movement. Maybe I’m just a hard- nosed philistine after all.
    To be fair I don't see the point personally but I don't have the money to go and buy a Lange so maybe it's a desire that appears when your bank balance reaches a certain threshold.

I quite like an exhibition case back, I know they are completely pointless but fundamentally I enjoy being able to see the little wheels and things going round... I enjoy the delicacy and precision of even "dull" workhorse movements, and some I find genuinely aesthetically pleasing (like the Omega 8500). I wouldn't accept or reject a watch based purely on the presence or absence of a display back, for sure.

Master
    The reason is I want engraved rotors is I’m assembling a pair of matching watches as a present for a couple. I was thinking of a clear back with something personal engraved that makes sense to them.

It’s nothing fancy, just a hidden secret funny and personal thing.

You don't have to explain yourself Joe, you do what you want!

Craftsman
    You might be able to find someone with a laser engraver that could do the job cheaply?

There are some high quality laser engravers - just check out the moomin sarpaneva dial - all done by a laser!