closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vendeé Globe 2020

Vendeé Globe 2020

Good evening dear forum members.

Anyone fan of sailing and following the Vendeé Globe 2020 this year?

Start is in less than 18 hours, tomorrow November 8.th from France.

Incredible fast high tech (some foil) sailing boats expected to be back in 75 - 100 days.

Official website with live tracking:

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en

Facts & figures:

33 participants

6 women (Alexia Barrier, Clarisse Cremer, Isabelle Joschke, Sam Davies, Miranda Merron, Pip Hare)

9 nationalities (France, Germany, Japan, Finland, Spain, Italy, Australia, Great Britain, Switzerland)

18 first timers

8 new foilers: Charal (arch. VPLP Design), DMG Mori Global One (arch. VPLP Design, sister-ship Charal), HUGO BOSS (VPLP Design – ATR-Pete Hobson), ARKEA PAPREC (arch. J. Kouyoumdjian), CORUM Epargne (arch. J. Kouyoumdjian), Apivia (arch. G. Verdier), LinkedOut (arch. Guillaume Verdier), L'Occitane en Provence (arch. Sam Manuard)

19 foilers in total

Record to beat: Armel Le Cléac’h 74 days 3h 35 minutes 46 s in 2017

Number of theoretical miles to cover: 24,296 miles (i.e. 45,000 km)

Number of sails on board: 8

0 past winners

2 podiums 2017: Alex Thomson 2nd, Jérémie Beyou 3rd

5th participation for Jean Le Cam and Alex Thomson, 4th for Arnaud Boissičres and Jérémie Beyou

Youngest on the 9th edition: Alan Roura, 27 years old

Oldest on the 9th edition: Jean Le Cam, 61 years old

Good video:

https://youtu.be/BhPcBk1QV90

Cheers, Lorenzo

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the heads-up. Big sailing fan here! I'll follow it.

Menno

Journeyman
    I'll be following closely, it's an astonishing event. Quite a few women this time around and a decent few Brits. Wonder if Alex will go one better this time.

Blog Entries
    Have to give all non-sailors an idea. Especially for the British members of this parish:

Last edited by thieuster; 7th November 2020 at 19:47.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hope Alex finally gets the win this time

Vendeé Globe 2020

Best pic of the day! No handed British flag alone on the rail at full speed autopilot in real sea storm salt water windy weather...

Blog Entries
    World Sailing (former ISAF) ranks NED as 2019 & 2020’s #1 when it comes to sailing successes. The finish of the VOR in The Hague last year has been followed (live) by more than 1 million people.

Despite the enormous success of sailing in the Netherlands, Dutch TV is not airing a single second of the start & race!

Boring long distance speed skating all over the tube. Again.

Master
    Bit of a nerdy observation on the Americas Cup race due to start next year. The 6 ? guys on the generators in the Ineos team are using their arms to paddle this year. Sitting opposite each other. Last year with Ineos cycle gurus present they switched to pedalling the generators as it gave them more power ( glutes thighs etc). Is this because the Kiwi's have specified this as part of the boat build.

Lastly the phrase in the video above of the Hugo Boss boat , "do you want me to come on deck for some pictures" legend.

Steve
    Last edited by higham5; 8th November 2020 at 09:30.

Definitely following this. Was hooked last time out! Incredible event, incredible boats and even more incredible sailors.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up. Big sailing fan here! I'll follow it.

Menno
    The same here. Many thanks Ginpopy.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Bit of a nerdy observation on the Americas Cup race due to start next year. The 6 ? guys on the generators in the Ineos team are using their arms to paddle this year. Sitting opposite each other. Last year with Ineos cycle gurus present they switched to pedalling the generators as it gave them more power ( glutes thighs etc). Is this because the Kiwi's have specified this as part of the boat build.

Lastly the phrase in the video above of the Hugo Boss boat , "do you want me to come on deck for some pictures" legend.

Steve
    Cyclors were ruled out quite early on by the AC75 Class Rule (link) as were cyborgs.

The NZ team are training hard for the 2021 AC race, see link. The preparations have been continuing despite Covid but they've lost most, if not all, of the preliminary racing series and junior match races in 2020 that were to precede the main event.

Blog Entries
    Like on all levels of society, Covid hits the sailing community pretty hard. My son's 2019/2020 Youth National Team is broken up. 11 young men and women. One has the luck that he's living next to a large lake. So during the lockdown he was able to keep on training on his own. With 17 y/o he won the Kieler Woche and became European Champion (seniors - not youth) last month.

Video here when he's interviewed by absolute legend John Emmett (Who happens to be a very, very pleasant person to deal with!)

The others were not so lucky when it comes to training all day long. With the National Sailing Hub in Scheveningen closed for so many months, it's nearly impossible to maintain a proper level. Some of the 11 have switched to offshore racing (ROST in Rotterdam), some went to the university for study and my son has changed his career to coaching. A lot of them would like to pursue a career in the America's Cup. I suppose that it has to do with the contacts between the youngsters and Carlo Huisman, who was grinder for Emirates Team NZ. Carlo is a 'regular' on the RIBs accompanying the Lasers when training in Scheveningen.

As said my oldest has switched to coaching. Rather successful I can say. 3 of his (8) pupils under 12 managed to sail themselves into the Dutch National Optimist Team. From nothing to the coach-with-the-best-results-in-one-season. And the youngest. A couple of parents with legendary sailing names who both went to the Olympics in the 470 and Laser back in the 90s, now club 'humble' members, have specifically asked for my son being the coach of the couple's kid next year. That's a sign of approval. I warned him for high expectations. But he told me that the 10 y/o is absolutely a major talent. Still, the Laser is not being sold. I will gather dust in the corner of the workshop.

Vendeé Globe 2020

Alex Thompson on the beautiful black «*Hugo Boss*» boat on 11. th position so far. He got stuck in a fishing net with a foil . Best Brit is S. Davies on «*Initiative Cśur*» in 9. th position. French sailors dominate on all other 9 positions out of 11....

Alex is only about 50Km behind the leader though, which isn’t anything really at this stage.

I’ve sailed with him a couple of times - back when we were both an awful lot younger. He’s one of the most competitive and driven individuals I’ve ever known.

What a long race! Just few miles distance make such a huge difference in wind conditions. Alex / Hugo Boss catching up now on 6. th position...

I sailed once on a former Americas Cup yacht and it was thrilling (and tiring).

This is clearly a whole different level - the yachts are incredible and and these sailors are astonishing. I'm struggling to think of a greater challenge of sporting endurance.

As a 17 and 18 year old I spent a lot of my time in RI as part of the UK Americas cup, helping out on shore mostly with a bit of sailing on the training boat

I have huge respect for the sailers, and all the teams supporting them

The Vendée is a mixture of formula 1 and scaling everest

#AllezAlex

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    The same here. Many thanks Ginpopy.

Cyclors were ruled out quite early on by the AC75 Class Rule (link) as were cyborgs.

The NZ team are training hard for the 2021 AC race, see link. The preparations have been continuing despite Covid but they've lost most, if not all, of the preliminary racing series and junior match races in 2020 that were to precede the main event.

Thanks for the explanation, much appreciated

Steve

Craftsman
    I was hooked on this last time in 2016. Be warned, checking the race tracker can become an obsession for the next couple of months!

I really hope Alex Thomson wins it this time. Currently leading the fleet......but a long, long way to go.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m checking regularly.

The rankings are not that helpful as they reference the rhumb line which isn’t necessarily the fastest route.

You need to look at the tracker and turn on the wind overlay.

Also the boat speed data is key. Best indicator of wind strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I’m checking regularly.

The rankings are not that helpful as they reference the rhumb line which isn’t necessarily the fastest route.

You need to look at the tracker and turn on the wind overlay.

Also the boat speed data is key. Best indicator of wind strength.
    That will enable you to see what TS Theta is doing relative to their route.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    That will enable you to see what TS Theta is doing relative to their route.
    Aye, they want to make sure they get to the west of that to keep going downwind.

Wow... Alex in second place

It seems the foils are extremely fragile. It looks really as if they were driving F1 cars in a rally race in the finish winter woods mudded trials

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginpopy View Post
    Wow... Alex in second place

It seems the foils are extremely fragile. It looks really as if they were driving F1 cars in a rally race in the finish winter woods mudded trials

Remember the last race Alex almost one with just one foil for ages.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Alex takes the lead!

Craftsman
    On the latest update video from Alex Thomson he seems very upbeat. No idea how these sailors do it on so little sleep. Link to the Alex Thomson Hub for those interested;

https://www.alexthomsonracing.com/the-hub/

Sam Davies in 8th and very much in contention. I am a little surprised to see the fleet sailing directly towards a hurricane. I’d be tempted to try and avoid that. In order to finish first, first you have to finish and all that. Maybe Ventusky makes it look worse than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    Sam Davies in 8th and very much in contention. I am a little surprised to see the fleet sailing directly towards a hurricane. I’d be tempted to try and avoid that. In order to finish first, first you have to finish and all that. Maybe Ventusky makes it look worse than it is.
    Theta is predicted to continue to move east and remain as a storm rather than becoming a hurricane. As such it provides the strongest winds in the area and that's what is needed to get the boats moving. Most seem to be on the west side of the storm and can skirt it balancing wind strength against sea state with their distance from the centre. Get caught on the east side and the wind direction is all wrong for making progress in the race. Hopefully the boats are built for this as they're heading down into the Southern Ocean. Expand the map and scroll down to see the weather that is lurking south of Good Hope, Cape Leeuwin, NZ and Cape Horn.
    Last edited by PickleB; 13th November 2020 at 10:48.

What a race, pleased to see Thomson in the lead, and that another Brit, Samantha Davies is the leading lady.
    I hope Thomson isn't burning himself out early, seems he probably hasn't slept at all yet....
    D

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    What a race, pleased to see Thomson in the lead, and that another Brit, Samantha Davies is the leading lady.
    I hope Thomson isn't burning himself out early, seems he probably hasn't slept at all yet....
    D
    Thompson is hardcore and seems to love every minute of it ... an amazing character. His biggest enemy is himself and driving himself into the ground ... we don't want any repeats of the Route de Rhumb; although he's a long way from land ...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Thompson is hardcore and seems to love every minute of it ... an amazing character. His biggest enemy is himself and driving himself into the ground ... we don't want any repeats of the Route de Rhumb; although he's a long way from land ...
    Yes, hopefully manages not to hit any land this time!!

Blog Entries
    Alex Thompson video:

I remember being mesmerized by the beautiful (blue) colours of the waves the first time I sailed on the open ocean. Now look at how blue this water is!

Master
    My Dad sailed a lot when he was younger so these sort of events were closely followed when I was growing up at home. Since I left home sailing has slipped from my conciousness so I am far behind with the technology and the characters. On the strength of this thread my interest has been rekindled. Yesterday I watched the film about Alex called Relentless which was very interesting and got me up to speed. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to post the link from Tapatalk but it is easily found on YouTube.
    Last edited by Wimm; 15th November 2020 at 17:31.

Craftsman
    Looks good for Alex Thomson for the next few days. Hope his lead increases and he gets an easy passage through the Doldrums.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    My Dad sailed a lot when he was younger so these sort of events were closely followed when I was growing up at home. Since I left home sailing has slipped from my conciousness so I am far behind with the technology and the characters. On the strength of this thread my interest has been rekindled. Yesterday I watched the film about Alex called Relentless which was very interesting and got me up to speed. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to post the link from Tapatalk but it is easily found on YouTube.

Thanks for the suggestion to watch Relentless, a great alternative to Sunday night TV

Steve

Vendeé Globe 2020

What is going on? Just 3,9 miles ahead... still... linkedout catching up quickly. C’mon Alex!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks like less breeze to the west, I think Alex is less optimised for this angle. Once he gets more downwind he will really fly.

Master
    Seawolves , on Youtube recons its because Alex is racing his own race and plan to protect the boat. He was suprised Alex went into the lead so quickly.
    Still the Southern Ocean is due soon, then it will get exciting.

https://youtu.be/zLO5o9d3Y0s

Steve

Craftsman
    Structural issue on Hugo Boss....seems Alex Thomson just doesn't get any luck.

https://www.alexthomsonracing.com/th...eam-statement/

A structural issue is nothing to do with luck
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    A structural issue is nothing to do with luck
    It is if it’s caused by a collision with a UFO. Thousands of containers drifting around ...

Did he mention a collision?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Did he mention a collision?
    Statement is the standard issue ... details to follow. Best not to assume anything or prejudge.

I don’t know. When he collided with a UFO last time he said so.

Having said that luck, or rather bad luck, was often a disqualifying issue for people going at sea. Even more so for the captain.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think it’s time to just cross our fingers and hope it’s something he can remedy and continue.

He had a big broach in Theta and average boat speed has not been able to match Linked or Apivia since a couple of days after

I think Boss has been designed for the Southern oceans downwind sailing but my impression is that something has not been right for a few days

Master
    TEAM UPDATE:

Ross Daniel, Technical Director at Alex Thomson Racing:

“Yesterday evening (Saturday 21st November), while Alex was carrying out a routine inspection onboard HUGO BOSS, he spotted what he believed to be some structural damage in the bow area of the boat. He immediately notified myself and the team on shore, and we provided clear instructions to allow him to carry out a full inspection of the damage.

“That inspection has revealed some structural damage to a longitudinal beam at the front of the boat. The damage appears to be isolated to that area alone. It is yet unclear what caused this damage. There have been no incidents of concern onboard the boat during the race so far.

“Together with our structural engineers and naval architects, we worked through the night to put together a full repair plan for Alex. During this time, Alex took some rest onboard in order to prepare to begin that repair work this morning.

“Alex has now put the boat into a safe position to manage the sea state in order to reduce movement onboard while he carries out the repair. He has all the necessary materials onboard, a detailed plan to follow, and a team of world class engineers advising him. We are therefore confident in his ability to complete the repair.

“Our objective is to carry out the necessary repair swiftly and effectively, in order to minimize the miles lost and resume racing again.

“A further update will follow from the team in due course”.

Fingers crossed just a blip and he can storm back in due course. Still very early days.

Sent from my moto g 5G plus using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I hope he can effect a repair and continue.

Would be gutted to see him withdraw.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Further update. Doesn’t sound good.

https://www.alexthomsonracing.com/th...th-this-stuff/

Master
    Does seam pretty significant. I had thought it might just have been a bucket of resin and done, but clearly not the case.

Sent from my moto g 5G plus using Tapatalk