closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: new car advice

Master

new car advice

I've got the choice between a 69 plate car with 4500 miles or or a 20 with 2500. The price difference is £2000 and in reality I wouldn't mind saving this although not a big % of total cost.

What I can't work out is which of the following is best. The first car (69) plate was owned by a short term lease company, I've googled and it looks like it does short term leases and in some cases day rental. I've had a video of the car and it's immaculate. The second car (20) is an ex-demonstrator. I tend to feel safer with the second, but I'd happily take advice from people who know more than me.

Both mileages are so lie it will make no difference / I’d go for the 2k saving personally

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’d run a mile from the rental.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    This was exactly my thought. But I really don't think it's the day rental HERTZ thing. It's not a boy racers car. But it is a concern

Craftsman
    Are they the same model year and specification? The later reg might be the next model year which can bring some changes

Other than that I would prefer an ex demo over any sort of rental car

Master
    Exactly the same car. The 69 has a few extras such as heated steering wheel, windscreen and rear camera.

Craftsman
    Would go with the one with the extra kit, I've the heated screen on both our cars and its a very useful feature this time of the year and a colleague is always raving about how good the heated steering wheel is in their motor.

Master
    More kit and less money is the one, soon enough down the road they will be worth the same and the one with the most kit will be the easier to sell.

I don’t think that ex rentals are necessarily an issue; the vast majority of people don’t believe in the “drive it like you stole it” mentality.

I’d buy the 69 in a heart beat - worked for hertz years ago and the cars are actually well maintained

Assume there would be warranty so why worry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I bought a Toyota Auris that I later found out was an Avis rental car I had it for a year without any problems

Are these their best and final prices? If the more expensive one knocked £1k off would that seal it for you?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Exactly the same car. The 69 has a few extras such as heated steering wheel, windscreen and rear camera.
    More kit and less money is a no brainer.

Master
    What’s the car? Don’t know what 2k as a percentage is. Initial impressions was go for the cheaper one, but probably not if it was used as a rental / loan vehicle. Doesn’t really matter if it is not a hertz type rental - the mindset of the drivers when driving a car for the day is probably the same

Master
    Out of idle curiosity, how do you know that one was owned by a rental company? Was it declared or is there a way to research such things (and if so, do people do this?).

What car is it and how long do you intend on keeping it?

Master
    My son works for a car finance company, he gets his pick of a selection and takes them on anything from 3 to 9 months and they go to auction. It’s a way to keep vehicles moving through there books and get better discounts so I wouldn’t be to worried about it that much. He’s got a nice XC40 now at under £200 a month fully insured, just one of the perks of the job.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    In fairness somebody is just as likely (if not more likely) to rag a demonstrator vehicle than a short term loan vehicle. Often these are taken out for a couple of hours without supervision.

I'd probably go for the demo model; at least it's been driven in (you'd hope) with a sales rep rather that renters thrashing it for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    More kit and less money is the one, soon enough down the road they will be worth the same and the one with the most kit will be the easier to sell.

Totally agree especially if you are going to run it for 4 years or so.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post
    In fairness somebody is just as likely (if not more likely) to rag a demonstrator vehicle than a short term loan vehicle. Often these are taken out for a couple of hours without supervision.

I had a demonstrator for 2 days once.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Well, I’m not sure I made the right decision but fate stepped in and I got the ex demo. It’s a 20 plate with only 2500 miles and I saved nearly 15k off list.

It’s an XC60 inscription and I’m really excited. I haven’t bought a car in 9 years!

As I get older (only 40!) I’m finding decisions harder to make. I fear I’m turning into my Dad!

Thanks for the advice, should have maybe gone for the other one but ex rental did put me off!

Craftsman
    Real nice cars those XC60's enjoy.

I've had two ex-hire cars - one from Budget and one that was the dealer's own hire programme. No issues and both had the 2 years' balance of their warranties

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Well, I’m not sure I made the right decision but fate stepped in and I got the ex demo. It’s a 20 plate with only 2500 miles and I saved nearly 15k off list.

It’s an XC60 inscription and I’m really excited. I haven’t bought a car in 9 years!

As I get older (only 40!) I’m finding decisions harder to make. I fear I’m turning into my Dad!

Thanks for the advice, should have maybe gone for the other one but ex rental did put me off!
    A smart choice and a great car I’ll wager.

Enjoy!