closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watches not getting wrist time

Watches not getting wrist time

I’m definitely not going to be the only one but I’ve a couple of watches that I don’t wear too often,only reason is I prefer some of my others .
    The thing is there’s been a couple of far more interesting things on sc just lately which I’m sure I’d wear but the funds aren’t available,one problem is I’ve owned one of these watches twice so if I sell I’ll probably regret it .
    I know it’s not a bad problem to have but it’s honestly doing my head in ,especially has there’s a couple of watches I’d like which will also leave me with some change.
    It’s not like I can talk it over with the wife and kids .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What watches would you sell/trade and which are those that you would buy or prefer.

Regards.

Keith.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I like to keep things simple,if it’s not worn I get rid off it.

Your thinking is perfectly rational in here, but mad to those in the outside world. If you are not wearing or enjoying the watches then sell them and use the money to buy the ones that interest you.

Just another crazy day in WIS world

Journeyman
    Having just dropped a lot of cash on an Explorer, I'm asking myself the same question. Why would I ever pick up my Tissot over the Explorer? Suppose it comes down to the question of whether you own them to wear them, or if you have them just to collect them.

I still see a case for having different style watches for different occasion/activities, but if want a SS sports non-diver the Explorer's gonna win every time.

I must have over 20 that are not getting worn at the moment!!!!
    Since March I have been wearing the same dozen or so vintage watches, everything that is modern / newer is just not getting a look in.
    I should sell them but if I am honest I can’t be ar5ed with the hassle of listing them, posting them out etc.
    So at the bottom of the safe they will remain.
    It’s so wasteful and makes no sense, I should do something about it.

I'm in the same position, feels like I've worn my gshock full metal non stop for the past 3 months.
    Starting to think my watch box is just a piggy bank.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I slimmed things a little bit recently and although I have a slight issue now with funds burning a hole in my pocket I feel better for doing it.

The issue is a mental one imho. It took me a long time in deciding whether to sell but once I made my mind up I was, and still am, content.

Odd isn't it. I almost never wear my vintage pieces. Wouldn't sell them though.

Master
    I spent ages contemplating reducing my watches (think I even did a thread on it) and aimed for 3. Made it down to 4 so not quite. A few months on and I’m back up to 6!!! It never ends. You can’t win. Accept this hobby for what it is and enjoy it.

My only rule is if I don’t wear a watch I’ll sell it.

Collection goes up, collection goes down, collection goes up again...

I have records (vinyl and CD) that I will never play again and will never sell but if I genuinely looked at a watch and thought "I'll never wear that again" it would be on SC within the hour. I think my longest unworn at the moment is a Seamaster '50th' GMT that I really only wear when I'm on work trips to the US. I haven't worn it for 14 months now but I know that when travel opens up and I get to go back I'll sling it on before I head for the airport.
    Last edited by MakeColdplayHistory; 7th November 2020 at 20:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    I’m the same. That’s why I don’t have many watches :-)

Blog Entries
    If the ones you aren't wearing can be replaced later, I would sell and get something different or bank the change.

Craftsman
    I have never sold a watch and never will.

My collection is rather small but, because I tend to wear a watch for a couple of months at a time, it’ll be more than a year between the same watch being worn again in the rotation.

It is wonderful to bond with a watch again after a year or two and to appreciate why I acquired it in the first place. All the more so if a couple of decades has elapsed since the acquisition.

Craftsman
    An interesting one. I'm up at 50 odd now. I just don't have the heart to sell any. I do enjoy them though which is what its all about.
    They don't deny me anything from my life, thankfully, and I don't look at them as another opportunity lost.

Master
    If it is a Rolex or a PP, hold onto it, it will be better than money in the bank.

The WIS world is full of those with buyers and sellers remorse and the stupid thing is that never learn from their mistakes. They buy something they like and then fall out of love with it and sell it. Then they buy something else and so the vicious circle continues. Don't become one of them as they nearly lose money on every deal and that is just not sensible..

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    Exactly my thinking.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

I get a certain pleasure from just having a particular watch in the collection. Doesn’t have to be on the wrist to be enjoyed but appreciate this isn’t a thought process for most.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The WIS world is full of those with buyers and sellers remorse and the stupid thing is that never learn from their mistakes. They buy something they like and then fall out of love with it and sell it. Then they buy something else and so the vicious circle continues. Don't become one of them as they nearly lose money on every deal and that is just not sensible..
    That entirely depends on how you feel about it. Not everything in life is a financial investment.

Master
    This is me without a doubt, 1 watch I bought on SC for approx £150 gets 99% of the wrist time and before that it was the Seiko orange monster an eBay purchase for £80 if I remember rightly. In the watch box sit various Omega, Breitling, Tudor, Rolex & Panerai of which the Speedy Pro is the only one I can say has been worn more than 10 times with most of the others once or twice at most.

I was a one watch guy for many years since getting into the hobby in 2014. Fast forward to 2020 and I now have 3 quality watches that I consider to be expensive and 2 that are less expensive at circa £1k value each but still of quality. I also have 3 watches that are everyday beater quartz watches. The problem I now face is that I wear my 3 "expensive" watches equally in rotation over a month (in circumstances where they are unlikely to get damaged) and I wear my beaters in rotation on those occasions when they may get damaged (going in to work one day per week, dog walking depending on what expensive watch happens to be in rotation, shopping etc). My two 'second tier' circa £1k watches aren't getting a look in. I'm tempted to add them to my beaters but I know I will regret it when they inevitably pick up some damage. I think I might sell them then put the proceeds towards a fourth "expensive" watch that will get equal carefull wear in my main tier one collection.
    #firstworldproblems

Master
    I can relate to the sentiments ^^^^^ but equally I still really enjoy the variety in every watch I own, even where they're rarely worn and mostly indoors. That said, I've managed to cross the bridge of selling a couple lately but it seems the timing isn't great so they're probably staying and I'm not at all sad about that. It's so much easier to decide to buy a watch than to decide to let one go.

Master
    I have quite a few that I rarely wear, but I just enjoy knowing that I can do if the desire arose. Doesn't make much sense, maybe it's a WIS thing.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I used to struggle with this but I've realised that there are watches I wear and watches I enjoy owning ( looking at, putting on in the house for 5 mins, swopping straps etc ) but never really wear them.
    It's just the way it is.... it crosses my mind to sell them but I'd regret it. Been there, done that.

And don't sell all your cheapie stuff.... I've done that too and ended up buying more. I like a small choice of beaters too.

It's an odd thing, collecting watches.

I have two distinct "buckets" of watches which fit in the rarely-worn category. Some of them are keepers irrespective of the rate of wear - either because of sentimental value (my Dad's old Omega) or the knowledge that I'd never find another one as good, or would regret selling (my Seiko 6138 UFO).

The watches in the other "bucket" are more-or-less fungible, and I tend to have a periodic clear-out to raise funds (and free up room) for another wave of acquisitions. Yes, I do have a problem, and no, I don't especially want help... ;-)

The best bit about the hobby for me has been the opportunity to try a HUGE range of watches in different styles, from manufacturers I'd never have tried (or even heard of); it is emphatically not a self-funding exercise, but I get a lot of joy from it.

Master
    Was just thinking about this. Only two watches I've worn since first lock down is the avenger 2 and g shock. Nothing else has been worn apart from a golf one!

And I have a second box with Seiko's and a Panerai! :)

I have a few that get regular wear, some periodic and other rarely. Some are “treat” watches, I treat myself to wearing them now and then as they are either special to me or just something different.

I have some that sit outside these categories that seem to be a part of a never ending sell and replace as part of my hobby. The hunt and buying is more than half the fun.

Today is a treat day with a recently purchased gold speedie from champagne_james.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

It depends what sort of collector you are.

Some people just keep what they wear regularly and some are more collection based.

Personally I have about a dozen regular wearers and a hundred or so more in the collection - some I've never worn!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

In my core collection I have watches that each serve a particular purpose, depending on what I’m doing/ wearing/ going, so I do wear all of them. This is why I don’t have a g-shock, as I don’t do anything that merits having one!

I have a couple of sentimental watches that hardly ever get worn, however.