closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Flight Question - COVID - New Zealand

Flight Question - COVID - New Zealand

Evening all,

Just reaching out to see if any one else is or has been through a similar course of events that I'm facing now and would care to share advise or experience - imagine allot of folk have had travel plans changed this year

At the start of the year we booked a set of flights to go for a big winter trip to New Zealand. Supposed to be flying from Heathrow to Auckland with Cathay on 9th December

Now where I stand at the moment is the flight has not been cancelled, infact from what I can see some flights are still running, but at the moment we wouldn't be able to enter New Zealand as not a holder of a residents permit.

The travel company I booked through have offered a refund of circa 50% of the value of the flights, or are giving me the 'kind' offer to change the dates with a £150 per person per flight fee (works out at 600 for the return trip per person.....)

Been reading that if the flight is cancelled then I should be able to claim back via credit card as a worst case as service not offered

But I'm not sure where the responsibility lies for the fact the flight is running, but I can't get on it....

Anyone been through this.....

Cheers

Ritchie

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Did you take out travel insurance? Not sure if it would cover something like this but perhaps worth checking...

Master
    I’d have thought that if they can’t deposit you in New Zealand they aren’t able to let you board and therefore can’t supply the service you’ve paid for, regardless if the flight still runs.

Blog Entries
    Chances are if you got there everything could be closed down. And you could get ill with Covid thousands of miles from home.

Ermmm.......

I'd just take the 50% offer and forget about it.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    OP your problem the airline have been paid to carry you on a flight which they can still do it is your duty to have the correct paperwork / permission in order to board the flight and enter the destination Country which you do not.
    Either take the 50% or hope the flight gets cancelled
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Chances are if you got there everything could be closed down. And you could get ill with Covid thousands of miles from home.

Ermmm.......

I'd just take the 50% offer and forget about it.
    That’s not exactly what he asked is it...?

I would check out all of the information on flyertalk for the best advice OP. Given you’re booked through a travel agent you have to deal with them at this stage unfortunately. Ultimately I’m pretty sure you will be able to get the majority of your money back in this situation, but it might be a bit of a pain. Good luck!

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    It’s a difficult one.

If the flights aren’t cancelled then the airline is providing the service you paid for. The airline is solely responsible for providing the flights,they are not responsible for any issues with you being able to enter the country you are flying to.
    It is possible that Cathay may cancel the flights nearer the time. What is the expiry date on the 50% refund offer from the travel company? If it’s not already you could see if you can have a cut off a day or two before the flights are due to leave and keep your fingers crossed that they are cancelled.
    Did you buy travel insurance before Covid hit? In which case it’s possible that there may be something in there that allows you to claim.
    Another option is that you just accept the 50% refund and then go through a credit card claim for the balance. It might get rejected but you lose nothing by asking.

Master
    Ritchie - are you certain part of the itinerary hasn’t been cancelled? I had a quick look on google flights and I can’t find operating Cathay flights to Auckland on the 9th of Dec from LHR. Remember if any of the 4 legs are cancelled you will be eligible for a full refund.

Thinking about it... it’s highly unlikely your flight will operate into Auckland given their extremely stringent restrictions. If it hasn’t already been cancelled I’m sure it will be soon

Thanks for all the comments, I'll check out flyertalk

I do have insurance which I purchased in Feb before CV19 became a 'pandemic' - I was reading through all the conditions of that last night as well but I couldn't find anything on cancellation due to not being allowed in - I was checking on phone so have sent to work to read on Monday properly.

In terms of flights.... I was booked to fly LHR - HKG on the 9th Dec in the morning, connect onto HKG-AKL also leaving on the 9th. Cathay have now changed my LHR departure to the 10th which is an over night landing in on the 11th, but have not changed my connection (they must have a time machine) - the travel agent nor Cathay will recognise this is impossible and they are not providing the service I paid for.

I've been told I have uoto 72 hours before the flight to accept the cancellation offer of 50% but as were a family of 5 travelling this will mean a loss to me of circa 3k so if that's my only option then great, but I want to make sure Ive done all I can before accepting that loss.

Thanks again all

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RitchieUK View Post
    Thanks for all the comments, I'll check out flyertalk

I do have insurance which I purchased in Feb before CV19 became a 'pandemic' - I was reading through all the conditions of that last night as well but I couldn't find anything on cancellation due to not being allowed in - I was checking on phone so have sent to work to read on Monday properly.

In terms of flights.... I was booked to fly LHR - HKG on the 9th Dec in the morning, connect onto HKG-AKL also leaving on the 9th. Cathay have now changed my LHR departure to the 10th which is an over night landing in on the 11th, but have not changed my connection (they must have a time machine) - the travel agent nor Cathay will recognise this is impossible and they are not providing the service I paid for.

I've been told I have uoto 72 hours before the flight to accept the cancellation offer of 50% but as were a family of 5 travelling this will mean a loss to me of circa 3k so if that's my only option then great, but I want to make sure Ive done all I can before accepting that loss.

Thanks again all

Hmm... your problem here is with the travel agent. Sounds like they are trying it on to be honest; obviously an impossible connection should lead to a full cancellation and refund. I’ve also checked the CP website and there is no flight available to Auckland from HK on the 9th or 10th. All very strange.

Did you book this on a credit card? If so I would have a discussion with them now and they may refund and take up the issue on your behalf.

Ps - who is the travel agent?

Quote Originally Posted by thebuffoon View Post
    I’d have thought that if they can’t deposit you in New Zealand they aren’t able to let you board and therefore can’t supply the service you’ve paid for, regardless if the flight still runs.
    Maybe they should then let them fly and leave them stuck at immigration and liable for cost of a return flight?

Same as if you turn up w/o passport, visa etc. - it's your responsibility to ensure you'll get entry at the destination.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 7th November 2020 at 12:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Hmm... your problem here is with the travel agent. Sounds like they are trying it on to be honest; obviously an impossible connection should lead to a full cancellation and refund. I’ve also checked the CP website and there is no flight available to Auckland from HK on the 9th or 10th. All very strange.

Did you book this on a credit card? If so I would have a discussion with them now and they may refund and take up the issue on your behalf.

Ps - who is the travel agent?
    I too am starting to think it's the travel agent, I searched the flights via Skyscanner back in Feb and the the best option was via an agent in London

PH Travel Ltd
    68a George Ln, South Woodford
    London E18 1LW, United Kingdom

They look like a group of companies which don't seem to be being helpful

I checked them out pre CV19 and there reviews were good for getting good deals, but I fear this is stretching them and they are just being difficult

I looked on the credit card site and it wouldn't let me start a claim as the flights not cancelled. I'll ring them next week

Any further south and i would have wet feet

Based on this information Cathay have effectively cancelled your booked flight and rescheduled you for a separate flight which is not what you contracted for and also does not allow you to be able to take subsequent flights. The change in flight times is classed as a significant change as it is over 6 hours (I think that’s the figure) different from the original flight.
    Question- does the new flight they have informed you about have the same flight number? If not then it is,by law,a different flight and by definition the original flight has been cancelled.
    Whatever the case it seems that you are entitled to a refund but your arrangement is with the travel agent ,not Cathay,so you will have to take it up with them and,if needs be,claim through your credit card.

Master
    I too am starting to think it's the travel agent, I searched the flights via Skyscanner back in Feb and the the best option was via an agent in London

PH Travel Ltd

I checked them out pre CV19 and there reviews were good for getting good deals, but I fear this is stretching them and they are just being difficult

I looked on the credit card site and it wouldn't let me start a claim as the flights not cancelled. I'll ring them next week

It is definitely the travel agent. The thing is when you book through a third party, the ticket is that third party’s responsibility until 24 hours before the flight. CP cannot do anything about the ticket itself before this (this is a major drawback of booking via a TA).

In your situation I would do the following:

1) Be absolutely certain that all flights on your itinerary are really operating. Personally I’m not currently convinced this is the case, so I would double check with CP directly.

2) Do not even consider accepting a 50% refund at this stage. You have a whole month to sort this

3) Do speak to your CC company on Monday. They are often very helpful and, frankly, they have bigger guns at their disposal to wave at the TA

You’re probably correct that the TA is struggling, and that is not good news for anyone. However you do not deserve to be £3k out of pocket in this situation

Master
    Something doesn’t sound right to me and as others have said it’s likely the Travel Agent. They are possibly just trying it on knowing that some customers will always accept what they are told. Could be they just can’t refund you.

That’s aside the credit card card is one option to explore. Also the travel insurance - that would be my first call to be honest, especially as it was booked before covid.

Again as someone else said, go on flyer talk - great knowledge and help available there.

Probably not relevant as I booked direct, but I had Cathay Pacific flights from HK to Australia last November and cancelled them because of the unrest. I think the charge was around 10% from memory. Might be worth checking their booking terms as even though it’s through an agent the flight is with Cathay.

Flight Question - COVID - New Zealand

It is odd that the TA is offering you 50% refund. They will not get refunded by the airline if the flight is not cancelled (or, has the airline done a deal with them?) on the basis they are de-risking them given the likely need to cancel the flights, I.e. the only have to refund 50% rather than 100%

So, you have to ask yourself if the TA are getting refunded and then only offering you 50% back, to boost their coffers.

Be very careful about accepting vouchers from TAs. If the TA goes bust, your vouchers will evaporate too.

Moneybox on Radio 4 covered people who had accepted vouchers by the TA who had been refunded by the airline.

The TA went bust. The TA had the money, and the customer had the vouchers, which are worthless. The customer thought they where helping the TA out, but it cost them dearly.

There is still one month until you fly. I’d be waiting until the very, very end before accepting anything from the TA.

If the flight is cancelled, you have solid rights, including section 75 law on your credit card, which I have used this year.

If it is not cancelled, use travel insurance if you have it, rather than accepting vouchers.

PH Travel Ltd

Unfortunately Google reviews look really bad for them in terms of giving refunds.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Unfortunately Google reviews look really bad for them in terms of giving refunds.
    Yea I've seen those as well, just trying to work out if credit card is best or insurance.

Thanks for all the thoughts and comments, it's good to just have some other views