closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, the new James Bond !

Master

So, the new James Bond !

So what do we think about the new James Bond actor just announced ?

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/film...e-to-die-news/

Whilst I'm happy to be called an old git because I'm more of a traditionalist as to who should play the role, I now find myself tip-toeing carefully around the usual misogynist and lightly racist remarks I'm hearing that really shouldn't be out there, but they definitely are !
    So how does this sit with the good folk on here, happy or not, or are there just some things that should stay the way they always have ?

I still can't see how a female lead can be called James anyway, but there I go again........old git !

Master
    Honestly I think it’s a load of bollocks. They are pandering to whatever brigade it is right now just to be seen as PC.
    Bond is a man, end of.

Quote Originally Posted by Glitterati View Post
    So what do we think about the new James Bond actor just announced ?

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/film...e-to-die-news/

Whilst I'm happy to be called an old git because I'm more of a traditionalist as to who should play the role, I now find myself tip-toeing carefully around the usual misogynist and lightly racist remarks I'm hearing that really shouldn't be out there, but they definitely are !
    So how does this sit with the good folk on here, happy or not, or are there just some things that should stay the way they always have ?

I still can't see how a female lead can be called James anyway,
    but there I go again........old git !

Do you want to try and read the story again ?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Honestly I think it’s a load of bollocks. They are pandering to whatever brigade it is right now just to be seen as PC.
    Bond is a man, end of.

Is it just me who can read?
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 5th November 2020 at 19:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Do you want to try and read the story again ?

- - - Updated - - -

Is it just me who can read?

Agreed, it would be useful to read it fully and also remember this is a VERY old (non) story

Quote Originally Posted by Glitterati View Post
    I still can't see how a female lead can be called James anyway, but there I go again........old git !
    She won't be. She will keep her name, it's just her "00" number that changes
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Yep, fair enough. Looks like I was taken in by the hype of the banner headlines plastered across the media !

Master
    In the trailer, Bond talks about the new 00 and it shows her in action

Master
    This is slightly more mind-blowing:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/co...ck-anne-boleyn

You can always play with the attributes of a fictional character provided the "owner" of the work is content. Real historical figures are, in my view, somewhat more problematic as you have to suspend disbelief while watching.

I'd certainly watch Tom Hanks give us his Nelson Mandela, to be fair.

It's a bold move that pretty much spells the end of the James Bond franchise. Now they'll just be British action movies. I can't say I have any strong feelings for or against.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    It's a bold move that pretty much spells the end of the James Bond franchise.
    Having a female black character appear in a film alongside James Bond? I think the British public can cope.

Master
    Having a female black character appear in a film alongside James Bond? I think the British public can cope.
    What are you seeing that I’m missing? The story says she will be the new 007. James Bond IS 007. So if he’s gone and she’s the new 007, then ergo she is the new bond if not in name.

We laughed at the perennial stories of a female Dr Who.

We’re not laughing now.

Blog Entries
    What are you seeing that I’m missing? The story says she will be the new 007. James Bond IS 007. So if he’s gone and she’s the new 007, then ergo she is the new bond if not in name.
    She will be agent Nomi 007. So any new film would be an 'agent Nomi' film, not a James Bond film.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

It will effectively feel like watching an offshoot movie series. On one hand I think it’s perfect to address every woke issue going, on the other hand I realise I completely lost interest in Bond around about the time of Skyfall.

Wonder what that means for all the product marketing? I can’t see her actually being a draw to sell many men’s Omega watches or Heineken.

Grand Master
    Just sounds like the movie plot says Bond retires, the new girl takes his 00 number. Bond isn't exactly a master class in plot or script, we know he'll come back (olden day Bonds for Queen and Country, new style for some interlinked theme like his 'brother'), they'll not work well together, they'll begrudgingly come together, she'll impress him in some way, she'll be quietly impressed with him, yada yada yada, they'll win in the end, some smug scene, Bond will just grumble about something and 'fade' into the background.

It’ll be the end of the Bond franchise if she is to replace and become 007, wow what a way to kill probably the best movie franchise of all time...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Well James Bond has been going for a while now, tracing his history back to 1943 and 30 Assault Unit (Commando), so maybe it is time the name James Bond retires completely, particularly with the sad passing of Sean Connery.

Bond is a fictional character.
    FTFY

Master
    Blog Entries
    Daft, how can a female play a male character?

Make a new film with her, nothing wrong with that. But I just don’t see how she can play a male character?
    Last edited by Montello; 5th November 2020 at 21:00.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    The ‘00’ numbers don’t come with a new Christian name. As the previous ‘00’ retires or dies then the designation is passed on to their successor.
    Nomi becomes Agent 007, she doesn’t become James Bond.

However there won’t be any more James Bond films. Actually,yes there will. Stand by for (a) remakes and/or (b) offshoots that pad out some of his past, and/or (c) James Bond films made by another studio much like Sean Connery made Never Say Never Again with a different studio at the same time as Roger Moore made Octopussy.

Craftsman

So, the new James Bond !

I wonder if Liam Neeson -a white male, was to play the part of Martin Luther King or another black man / woman in a movie role, would the black community be ok with that?

This BLM and feminism is being forced onto us everyday and it’s getting ridiculous.

What they really want to say is, they want less men, not more women.
    Last edited by Speedie; 5th November 2020 at 20:17.

Maybe Judi Dench will be able play the lead role in the next Shaft Film?

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Daft, how can a female play a male character?

May a new film with her, nothing wrong with that. But I just don’t see how she can play a male character?

Another non-reader.

I seriously doubt this. But if they are dumb enough to try such a PC diversion it'll bomb spectacularly and Bond 27 will be back to the set format.

So, the new James Bond !

Using a woman to play a character that’s a man is just taking PC to new stupid levels. What next - Daniel Craig to play Wonder Woman ?

Just ridiculous nonsense. If she is playing a different agent then it’s not a James Bond film.

She just needs a wheelchair with an ejector seat and that’s every box ticked.

Craftsman
    Her character will now also probably suffer from anxiety. Better throw that in to be extra PC.

There has always been a handsome man as Bond for the women viewers now there is a beautiful woman for the men, seems only fair :)

Master
    The current one being delayed will probably be the last I watch if they follow this route.
    This must be a wind up?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    There has always been a handsome man as Bond for the women viewers now there is a beautiful woman for the men, seems only fair :)
    There are normally 2 beautiful women in the Bond films. They are known as “Bond girls”.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
    There are normally 2 beautiful women in the Bond films. They are known as “Bond girls”.
    As a red blooded male the more the merrier :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    As a red blooded male the more the merrier :)
    A male Bond would be proud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    So, the essence of this is that nobody has been cast as James Bond. All the furore about Tom Hardy, Idris Elba and the half dozen other hopefuls was for nothing.
    If I read the article correctly they have decided to extinguish the 60+ year Bond legacy with a silly, spin-off starring the new 007.
    Pretty stupid really. Like these action series who introduce a younger lead hoping that they will carry the franchise into the next generation. It never works. (Indiana Jones tried, as did Die Hard).

I hope it's a success for them but a Bond movie wont be a Bond movie without... well, you see where I'm going. They might as well have just done a live action version of the shite James Bond Junior cartoon from the 1990s.
    Do a spin off with a female lead by all means, but what a crushing blow to die-hard Bond fans to do away with the leading man. I'm quite upset about it to be honest.

Racism and sexism dont factor in, I'm sure she is a superb actress and I look forward to seeing her role in No Time To Die (the trailers look amazing!) but this franchise needs a James Bond and in line with the literary canon, James Bond needs to be a middle aged white guy.

Master
    Edit...
    Never mind, I've just re read it and realised they are just talking about her taking up the 007 mantle for this movie, which we already knew.
    The online rumours are that she'll be killed off as quickly as she is introduced. Hope not, it looks like she can give as good as she gets with senor Bond.

Master
    Another non-reader.
    Come on then, instead of insulting other members, how about you tell us what we are not reading.
    But before you do, tell us how many bond movies have there been where the 007 agent hasn’t been a man named James Bond.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Edit...
    Never mind, I've just re read it and realised they are just talking about her taking up the 007 mantle for this movie, which we already knew.
    The online rumours are that she'll be killed off as quickly as she is introduced. Hope not, it looks like she can give as good as she gets with senor Bond.

Yep - there is nothing new in this - this has all been known for months.

The next bond film is likely to be a reboot (like Craig's first one was).

Providing she beds the female costars with the same suave sophistication and cheesy lines I’m willing to give the film a try?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    FTFY
    And? In every book and every movie he’s been a man by the name of James Bond. What point are you trying to make?

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I completely lost interest in Bond around about the time of Skyfall.
    Is that the one with the ridiculous tube train crash? Me too.
    "A man of little significance"

Come on then, instead of insulting other members, how about you tell us what we are not reading.
    But before you do, tell us how many bond movies have there been where the 007 agent hasn’t been a man named James Bond.
    What is insulting about pointing out to people who think that James bond is suddenly played by a women that they cannot read based on their posts?

One of the actual lines in the news story even points out the character's name !

That is before you even ask what they think Daniel Craig is doing in this film? Playing a guy called Dave?
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 5th November 2020 at 21:15.

And? In every book and every movie he’s been a man by the name of James Bond. What point are you trying to make?
    It's fiction...

Master
    Blog Entries
    What is insulting about pointing out to people who think that James bond is suddenly played by a women that they cannot read based on their posts?

One of the actual lines in the news story even points out the character's name !

That is before you even ask what they think Daniel Craig is doing in this film? Playing a guy called Dave?
    I, like other, read the OP not the reference. Instead of insulting us maybe encourage the OP to correct the post.

So James Bond retires and there is a new 007 agent who is a woman.

Why would they do that ? To bury everything they dont like about James Bond out of their movies and create the new character as a PC cleaned up version of 007 is their own vision.

Something along those lines

Do you think Sean Connery knew? :)

Another non-reader.
    Quite …

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I, like other, read the OP not the reference. Instead of insulting us maybe encourage the OP to correct the post.
    I did that in response to the OP at the beginning of the thread, and he acknowledged. Am I now allowed to insult you?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Having met Alansmithee on a number of occasions I have no doubt that he is the real James Bond.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Having met Alansmithee on a number of occasions I have no doubt that he is the real James Bond.
    Basildon Bond maybe...

Looks like a future of straight to DVD (well rather your host of streaming service suppliers). “What a load of old crap”
    It's just a matter of time...

Basildon Bond maybe...