closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega Seamaster 2254.50

Omega Seamaster 2254.50

Good evening gents. I am strongly considering buying an Omega 2254.50. Pre owned obviously. I believe they have been out of production for 12 years now? It would be an automatic. With the vast knowledge on this fantastic forum, is there anything in particular I should look for when examining the watches condition? Also, will it still have respectable lume after all these years.
    Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Mine is a 2008 and the lume is awesome, look out for refurbished watches where the bezel edges are all smoothed off, takes away the sharpness of the watch..

Blog Entries
    If you can get one with a recent Omega service that would be an advantage. Being SuperLuminova the lume should not fade.

Thank you. So the lume should be fine. I believe the bezel is aluminium so will check for polishing. Service history would be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaffe View Post
    Thank you. So the lume should be fine. I believe the bezel is aluminium so will check for polishing. Service history would be ideal.
    The bezel insert is aluminium. The bezel itself is SS.

I have had a few of these. One thing to check (with a loupe if possible) is cracks in the lume, most common in the large 12 o'clock marker, especially as they age. And they are all aged now.

One of mine had a crack there that was hard to see at a casual glance but obvious on very close inspection. It will fall off eventually, and need re-luming or a redial. Don't buy unseen.

I sold my 2254 quite quickly (for about £450 :cry:) as I preferred the blue dialed version:

If the age is an issue, I genuinely think the Tag Aquaracer now fits the position the Seamaster was in back in the days when the 2254 was current: a decent, high quality, unpretentious sports watch.

Paul

Thanks. Oddly enough I saw a photo of an Aquaracer today and thought it looked rather nice. However my mind is set on the Seamaster. Thank you. I will check the lume.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    The bezel insert is aluminium. The bezel itself is SS.
    Thank you.

Master
    These are great and take a lot of battering well but pay close attention to bracelet stretch. You can change pins and collars to tighten the removable links up a little but when they are very loose (particularly the fixed sections) there is no remedy other than full expensive replacement. Many SMPs both sword hand and Bond have knackered bracelets. Otherwise even a basket case can be put back to mint. I’ve not heard of any others with dial issues but a new dial isn’t mega money if combined with an authorised service (in itself not exactly cheap of course). I’ve had a couple of 2254s but find they don’t stick for some reason. I now have the similar looking titanium 2231 and the WG bezel Non-AC (a sort of de-luxe 2254) and love them both. All the sword hand models are excellent watches.
    Last edited by Padders; 5th November 2020 at 09:58.

I gave up on mine because of the stretch (or gap) on the bracelet between the ends and the first (or second) links. I couldn't help notice it and when I asked about a repair was told I would need a completely new bracelet, for £400 or £500. I'm not sure what the cost is now, or if it really is impossible to repair one, but worth keeping an eye on.

I do massively regret it though, such a nice watch.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I gave up on mine because of the stretch (or gap) on the bracelet between the ends and the first (or second) links. I couldn't help notice it and when I asked about a repair was told I would need a completely new bracelet, for £400 or £500. I'm not sure what the cost is now, or if it really is impossible to repair one, but worth keeping an eye on.

I do massively regret it though, such a nice watch.
    £550.

Grand Master
    I’ve worked on quite a few of these over the years and I owned one for a while. They are excellent watches but a poor example can be costly to put right. Bezel inserts get marked a damaged and they’re not available separately, the whole bezel has to be replaced. The bezel itself often gets scratched and battered around the edges, refinishing tends to leave the edges rounded which doesn’t look good. Hands and dials don’t deteriorate although the red tip of the seconds hand can fade with age. Screw- down crowns can give problems but the pendant tube isn’t too difficult to replace if the correct tool ( and heat) is used. Crystals don’t give problems but are expensive to replace.

As previously mentioned the bracelets and clasps do wear, refinishing is usually feasible but that won’t fix the stretch problem on a poor one and replacement is the answer.

A poor example, needing a new bracelet, bezel, complete refinish and service will cost around £1200 to put right.........buy with care!

Example of lume cracking. This is my old watch:

I point it out as it would be hard to see from say, an online advert. Some owners may not even know. Best to check closely in person.

Paul

Much better to buy a very nice example, preferably full set, than one that has been worn hard, imho. As the cost of trying to bring it back would work out more expensive. That’s only been the case in recent years, as parts used to be readily available and for much more reasonable prices.

The bezel inserts are not available, so you need a full bezel assembly. Crowns and HEV can be badly worn, and apparently cause issues with the case integrity on a rare occasion on older hard worn examples (if they had an impact I’m guessing - although the HEV is reasonably well hidden).

Bracelets are available and a new one will make a huge difference to a tired one.

I’ve owned so many over the years, and never had any real issues - my only critique of the design is the overly large bezel insert numerals, which probably work excellently on a diver, but seem a little cartoonish in daily wear.

The model has one of my all time favourite case shapes, and I still have my bought new and boxed away 2531 and 2254’s as long term keepers.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post

I point it out as it would be hard to see from say, an online advert. Some owners may not even know. Best to check closely in person.

Paul
    That’s very interesting Paul. Is there also a little sign of corrosion on the hands of that example? I wonder if moisture managed to get into the watch at some point?
    It's just a matter of time...

I’ve never seen the lume crack before. The red tip can fade to orange but living in the North West, never get enough sun for that to happen. The bracelet is very comfortable if it fits but without any micro adjustments you may need to try half links to get right. I prefer mine on the OEM rubber strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone. You're a great help!

Craftsman
    Im after one of these too. Can't believe i didnt buy one new in 2007/08

Tad off topic but has anyone else noticed how hard nice ones of these are to get hold of lately?

I had a WTB up but due to an inherent lack of patience I bought a pristine America's Cup/White Gild bezel-insert'ed 2533 instead which I love, (and the aforementioned 'oversize' bezel-numerals are obviously less noticeable too), but these are definitely going to be 'on the up' price-wise IMO, especially the nicer pieces which are becoming as rare as the proverbial hen's teeth.

I also have an 'electric blue' 2255 and again, I believe these are getting harder to find and prices will soon start to rise rapidly, as availability lessens even further.
    Last edited by spuds; 5th November 2020 at 14:38.

Yeah these have really ramped up of late. I know somebody that less than a year ago was trying to sell a mint full set 2254 auto(speedy type bracelet)fresh back from omega service on eBay for £2k and after the weeks the best offer they had was £1,800. I told them to hang on as well well worth what they were asking. Bet one like that wouldn't have around now.

I'd love one but couldn't justify it with already owning a 2538.

Blog Entries
    Can't help with any problems with these that haven't already been mentioned. Can say that if you buy a nice one you won't be disappointed, they're a really nice watch.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Slightly off-topic but kind of related, I wish I had bought a Seamaster GMT 'Great white' (2538.20.00) when they were a reasonable price. They too have now shot up, even the tatty looking ones are priced highly. I guess there were not that many sold at the time as they don't come up for sale that often (or people who have them are keen to keep hold).

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    Slightly off-topic but kind of related, I wish I had bought a Seamaster GMT 'Great white' (2538.20.00) when they were a reasonable price. They too have now shot up, even the tatty looking ones are priced highly. I guess there were not that many sold at the time as they don't come up for sale that often (or people who have them are keen to keep hold).

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves
    I think they've increased in value less than the 2254(the last one to sell on ebay uk sold in open auction for £1,650 and was a really nice example too), but naturally they are fewer and further between as there were I think far less made.

I've got the most overpriced one in the UK I think as bought an average example for almost £2k, then a year later spent a further £1k to make it an excellent example and correct bracelet. Hey these things don't always have to make sense do they? And at least with all that it is now truly cemented as a keeper ;)
    Last edited by Tetlee; 5th November 2020 at 15:57.

I have the 2264, quartz. Same case and bracelet as 2254. Lume still off the scale, insert and bezel all good. Bracelet has stretched and needs replacing. Still think it’s the best looking diver out there, hope Omega do a faithful reissue with ceramic bezel and New movement.....instead of ducking about with Speedy LE’s and Bond bollocks.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    My 2254 was my first proper watch, bought as the one year old in 2008 from Watchfinder for £895, box & papers.
    It's currently on a Bark & Jack NATO which happens to be in my regimental colours. It also looks good on an Admiralty grey Phoenix NATO. Walkerwek58 who posted upthread serviced it for me last year & has really done it justice.
    It doesn't get a lot of wear these days but it's definitely a keeper.

Master
    Forgot to say, loving the rubber strap in the picture, is that an original Omega part?

The rubber strap is part number 98000085. Also need to purchase the buckle separately which I think is 9451-2012 . I bought mine some years ago via Omega boutique who posted it out to me after ordering over the phone.

There’s one in a local window for £2995

Love mine, bought it from a cash converters a few years ago for £990, don’t think they knew what they had or priced it as a quartz.

The wave dial really shows through with the sun..

Interesting how thick it is for a 300m watch in comparison to an MM300.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post

Is your locality Bond Street perchance? Either that dealer is deluded or has some serious overheads to cover!

Grand Master
    I like how many say look out for this and that etc etc,and yet a vintage Sub is preferred with patina!.
    If to my "eyes" it looks nice & works perfectly Im happy,remember its going to be a used watch so accept at least some signs of that wear from previous owners,also remember the rest of the world isnt quite so perfect using a loupe either,we dont walked around using a loupe or increase the size of everything to see the finer detail!.

Obviously dont accept tat,but be more accepting of these things and you will be a lot happier with your lot.

Received this back last month from a Simon Freese service and clean.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the advice folks. Very useful. I have just purchased one from Watchfinder. Outrageously over priced, I know. However it comes with a two year mechanical guarantee and 14 days to return if I'm not happy with it. Fingers crossed! I am already looking at getting one of the newer micro adjustable clasps for it. It has the Speedmaster type bracelet. Not until I'm satisfied with the watch though.

I am already looking at getting one of the newer micro adjustable clasps for it.
    Have you got a part number or a link to that clasp, please?

I’m wearing my 2254 right now and as much as I love it, I’ve never really managed to get the bracelet to fit 100% with the half link.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post

I’m wearing my 2254 right now and as much as I love it, I’ve never really managed to get the bracelet to fit 100% with the half link.
    Might sound funny but well worth buying a second half link.

I couldn't get a perfect fit with my 2538 which shares the same bracelet, picked up a second half link and have never looked back. Gives you that little extra adjustability that can't seem to be achieved without 2 half links.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post

I'm still researching. All I know so far is that there are 3 different types and if fitting to the older Speedmaster type bracelet then end link adapters are required.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Might sound funny but well worth buying a second half link.
    Ah, so 2 halves don't equal a whole, eh? ;)

Thanks, I'll give it a go (as he heads off to the WTBs...)

Grand Master
    The half- links are slightly bigger than half- size, using two gives finer adjustment and I can’t understand why Omega never supplied two. This trick doesn’t work with the Bond bracelet, the half- link does equate to half of a full one, yet Omega supplied two as standard.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    The half- links are slightly bigger than half- size, using two gives finer adjustment and I can’t understand why Omega never supplied two. This trick doesn’t work with the Bond bracelet, the half- link does equate to half of a full one, yet Omega supplied two as standard.
    There was a time when a decent AD would give you a half link for free. Ive had a few sent my way gratis over the years, but nowadays, in many ways, the hobby seems a little less friendly than it did once upon a time. So much less done out of goodwill it seems...

...dont get me started on people wanting money for faux suede service pouches that they got for nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Is your locality Bond Street perchance? Either that dealer is deluded or has some serious overheads to cover!

I might be wrong but I’d say c.£3k for a pristine recently serviced piece with warranty isn’t out of the way??

There’s been some real pigs on eBay and Chrono24 recently at 2.5-ish so.... ((shrug))

Regarding the adjustable clasp. I have found this thread on Watchuseek that has some useful information.

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/q...celet.4324922/

The Seamaster arrived today. It looks pretty much perfect to me. I'm delighted. They had to add a couple of links due to my thick wrists but it fits very nicely. Thank you all for your helpful advice on this. I'm as happy as a happy thing. :)

Grand Master
    The Seamaster arrived today. It looks pretty much perfect to me. I'm delighted. They had to add a couple of links due to my thick wrists but it fits very nicely. Thank you all for your helpful advice on this. I'm as happy as a happy thing. :)

Nice sharp bezel edges and faultless insert......that’s what I like to see on these! Had a very nice example on the bench recently that had hardly been worn from new, they’re super watches in nice condition. I’m not really a dive watch fan but I do like these.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post

Paul
    With the pitting/corrosion on the hands, looks like moisture ingress.

I've seen a lot in this thread about bracelet stretch...something I'd only really associated with old jubilees. Is it just this particular model, if so why? Does the current generation of Omega bracelets stretch?

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Nice sharp bezel edges and faultless insert......that’s what I like to see on these! Had a very nice example on the bench recently that had hardly been worn from new, they’re super watches in nice condition. I’m not really a dive watch fan but I do like these.
    Thank you. If I had to describe the perfect dive style watch for me then this would be it. I really like the slimness of the case compared to the later coaxail versions. It's very comfortable.

Grand Master
    I’ve seen some very scruffy Omega bracelets from 2254.50 and 2531.80 SMPs from late 90s/ early noughties. The pins wear, the tubes corrode away, they can end up very worn and its caused by dirt. Friction/ grinding occurs, particularly if the watch is worn loose, and crevice corrosion causes the tubes to corrode. Clasps also wear, everything wears, sometimes they’re only fit for scrap. I’m not aware if anyone who can get the fixed links apart to fit new pins, I tried once with no success but that’s not to say it can't be done.

From my research on the internet (so it's probably rubbish), the 1610/930 bracelets (as also fitted to Speedmasters) had a certain amount of play by design. Perhaps, because of this, they tend to wear prematurely. I don't know. Mine seems fine though. Having said that I'm still considering fitting a micro adjustable clasp just for the hell of it. The glidelock on my submariner is very useful.

From my research on the internet (so it's probably rubbish), the 1610/930 bracelets (as also fitted to Speedmasters) had a certain amount of play by design. Perhaps, because of this, they tend to wear prematurely. I don't know. Mine seems fine though. Having said that I'm still considering fitting a micro adjustable clasp just for the hell of it. The glidelock on my submariner is very useful.
    The new clasp is quite a bit chunkier and IMO doesn’t really look right on the slim 2254. Try and find some photos before you buy one.

Journeyman
    Thanks. Oddly enough I saw a photo of an Aquaracer today and thought it looked rather nice. However my mind is set on the Seamaster. Thank you. I will check the lume.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you.
    My first venture into automatic watches.

I do however like the omega better. But I wanted to buy new.

Congratulation buddy, that looks like a great example of what is IMO one of the best modern dive watches out there. These will always be a classic.

Enjoy!