closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Repair of Longines Heritage diver 1967

Master

Repair of Longines Heritage diver 1967

I’ve had the above for about 3 years and 3 months and it’s been worn in rotation with a few others and often unworn for months on end.
    In September the bezel insert just fell out. Luckily i in the house so was an easy spot on the carpet!

Decided i’d better get it looked out and took it back where i bought it from, Ernest Jones. Took it in and explained to the lady that the insert had come out and that i’d like it put back properly. Alarm bells started ringing when said lady pulled out a screwdriver and attempted prise it off, luckily stopped her though she then picked up the watch and dropped it in a poly bag. Why i didn’t just take the watch back there and then I don’t know, more the fool me.
    I asked her if had something a little more secure as i didn’t want it rattling around in a plastic bag and she assured me they’d find something more appropriate.
    She told me to expect a call back in a week to 10 days, that was the 21st Sept or so.

Cut to today and a call with someone i won’t describe as i’d truly like to at the moment as i’m not in a fair frame of mind!

The chancer in question told me the seals needed replacing, there was evidence of water damage, the bracelet was in his words ‘very bad condition, with scratches and worn out’. He told me all luxury watches need seals and gaskets doing every 12 months, regardless of age and/or wear or even cost/ make of watch.
    The watch hasn’t even been worn whilst washing dishes let alone showered or swam in.
    Anyway, here’s a list of work as described;

Our Diagnostic watchmaker/technician has examined your watch and has determined:

• The bezel is not properly fixed or is displaced
    • The case back is marked
    • The bracelet / strap shows typical signs of wear and tear
    • The clasp is strained
    • The clasp is scratched
    • This watch needs a full maintenance service
    • Presence of foreign particles in the movement
    • The movement shows signs of moisture penetration (light oxidization of parts and/or plates)

Your watch will require the following work:

• Complete Service, Automatic Chronograph

The Cost of the repair is £388.00

Quite how the case back has been marked or how the foreign particles got into it i don’t know. The case back hasn’t been off and i’ve owned it from new, the timekeeping has been excellent and i’ve had absolutely no issues whatsoever apart from the bloody insert!

Anyway, help and advice from the hive would be greatly appreciated.

Rant over.

Thank you,
    David

I would just decline the additional work and ask them to fix the bezel, if they say they can only do it as part of a service etc, get it back and get a independent to do it, these stories of ‘upselling’ are getting too common sadly.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I would just decline the additional work and ask them to fix the bezel, if they say they can only do it as part of a service etc, get it back and get a independent to do it, these stories of ‘upselling’ are getting too common sadly.
    Thank you Jason. They’ve said it’s all or nothing, so it’s nothing and I wouldn’t trust them in any case now. It seems an awful lot of faff and what the bloody hell were they removing anything for? I explicitly told the woman to write down the request to sort the insert only!

They are lovely looking watches...had one then flipped it...anyway! Id get it sent back as soon as possible, and get it sorted out by one of the excellent indies. on these forums.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Send it to a skilled independent. At the very least you can get an honest appraisal.
    I personally would strongly recommend .olli. of this forum whose website can be found here.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by valleywatch View Post
    They are lovely looking watches...had one then flipped it...anyway! Id get it sent back as soon as possible, and get it sorted out by one of the excellent indies. on these forums.
    Thank you, yes they are lovely.
    Unfortunately they’ve warned me it won’t be returned any time soon due to the lockdown and the thought of it in their possession for the foreseeable isn’t helping my mood.
    I’ll have to learn from the experience i suppose.

Master
    QUOTE=village;5576951]Send it to a skilled independent. At the very least you can get an honest appraisal.
    I personally would strongly recommend .olli. of this forum whose website can be found here.[/QUOTE]

Very much will have this in mind, thanks for the recommendation.

You haven't actually said who Ernest Jones have sent it on to - can we assume that it's Longines themselves or do they have their own service dept? In any case I share your concern about getting it out of their hands as soon as possible. Olivier has done a few jobs for me and I can't rate him highly enough. It's quite infuriating that you only need a bit of glue applied to fix the bezel insert - the line about seals being replaced every 12 months is absolute tosh.

Of course it's only a matter of time before you are accused of tight wad penny pinching...
    Last edited by Carlton-Browne; 26th May 2021 at 10:33.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    You haven't actually said who Ernest Jones have sent it on too - can we assume that it's Longines themselves or do they have their own service dept? In any case I share your concern about getting it out of their hands as soon as possible. Olivier has done a few jobs for me and I can't rate him highly enough. It's quite infuriating that you only need a bit of glue applied to fix the bezel insert - the line about seals being replaced every 12 months is absolute tosh.

Of course it's only a matter of time before you are accused of tight wad penny pinching...
    Good point CB. I naively asked them to send away to Longines and assumed they would. They’ve sent it to Signet who i assume are their own in-house repairers.
    Haha, was/am half expecting the accusation!
    Think it’d be quite mad though to expect anybody to cough up the thick end of £400 when the only issue is an insert and they’ve ignored my request entirely.
    Thank you for your reply and another recommendation for one of the good folk here.

I can tell you from experience that longines service is £335.00 that includes a full polish of the case and bracelet (if attached) also they will supply and fit a new Bezel for £52.00.
    I know because I had mine done by them. Although I had a bad experience with them in term's of them cocking a few thing's up I would still use and recommend them.

If you want to speak about it PM me and I'll go into the ins and outs.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    I can tell you from experience that longines service is £335.00 that includes a full polish of the case and bracelet (if attached) also they will supply and fit a new Bezel for £52.00.
    I know because I had mine done by them. Although I had a bad experience with them in term's of them cocking a few thing's up I would still use and recommend them.

If you want to speak about it PM me and I'll go into the ins and outs.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Fantastic, thank you!

Master
    Quick update as i’ve just had a call from Ernest Jones who have told me that Longines have had a change of heart and are doing a complete watch service and fixing my bezel completely free of charge and i’ll get a 2 year warranty free too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quick update as i’ve just had a call from Ernest Jones who have told me that Longines have had a change of heart and are doing a complete watch service and fixing my bezel completely free of charge and i’ll get a 2 year warranty free too.