closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I’ve just found G shocks!

Master

I’ve just found G shocks!

I’ve never owned a G shock previously but bought my first one several weeks ago to try out.
    I thought I’d put it on and promptly remove it but I absolutely love the thing!
    I bought my second G shock from Ryan which arrived today.
    The Tron is absolutely nuts but again I can’t stop smiling when I look at it.
    It’s true, you never have only one G shock...

Next on the hit list is the titanium camo version.
    You can keep your overpriced Rolex tat, I’ll have my overpriced G shock instead!

In the voice of the late - great Sean Connery. Shhocking!
    Last edited by number2; 3rd November 2020 at 13:46.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I still hate the damned things, but I do seem to have developed a liking for Vostoks, so I hope I don't develop a liking for G-Shocks as well!

At least Vostoks are cheap!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

The higher end G-Shocks I have owned have certainly led me to question why I would spend many thousands on the Breitling ana digital models that I have in the past.

I love them. The two I have are both icons, mind.

I have mine on today, fantastic watches. The Tron looks a bit 'trippy' in pictures, I wouldn't mind seeing on in real life.

Master
    They are definitely marmite, the Tron more so.
    I’ve never considered one before but after wearing one I get it.
    You really have to see the Tron in the metal, pics don’t really capture it.
    (A bit like the LVC sunburst dial)

I will look after your tatty old Rolex's Paul so you can enjoy your G-Shock's more. Generous guy that I am mate.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
    I will look after your tatty old Rolex's Paul so you can enjoy your G-Shock's more. Generous guy that I am mate.
    You’re a good soul!

G Shocks are like a chronic disease, once infected it is hard to be cured. I should know, I have about 400 of them!

That 'Tron' is fantastic and looks great on your wrist. The Tron does look even better on the wrist in real life than in photos, it doesn't look nearly as 'in your face' as it appears on the close up wrist shots.

I re-created the Tron as I prefer a positive display and because of the lack of graphics on the face the solar panel is a bit intrusive.

I did consider using a 'Real Black' G Shock that I own, to create the Tron but its 'military' display is very hard to read in anything other than very good light.

However, I went with my original plan to have a positive display with graphics that link to the 'Tron' theme.

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Loupe View Post
    I’ve never owned a G shock previously but bought my first one several weeks ago to try out.
    I thought I’d put it on and promptly remove it but I absolutely love the thing!
    I bought my second G shock from Ryan which arrived today.
    The Tron is absolutely nuts but again I can’t stop smiling when I look at it.
    It’s true, you never have only one G shock...

Next on the hit list is the titanium camo version.
    You can keep your overpriced Rolex tat, I’ll have my overpriced G shock instead!
    Resistance is futile. May I recommend the GW-5000 as the ultimate square, or the GD-350 for the good vibrations! ;)

Craftsman
    My first G (the square)....very quickly lead to the second......love them both.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    G Shocks are like a chronic disease, once infected it is hard to be cured. I should know, I have about 400 of them!

That 'Tron' is fantastic and looks great on your wrist. The Tron does look even better on the wrist in real life than in photos, it doesn't look nearly as 'in your face' as it appears on the close up wrist shots.

I re-created the Tron as I prefer a positive display and because of the lack of graphics on the face the solar panel is a bit intrusive.

I did consider using a 'Real Black' G Shock that I own, to create the Tron but its 'military' display is very hard to read in anything other than very good light.

400 Gs?? Wow!
    I like the military display on the Tron you customised, very cool.
    I can see this becoming a rabbit hole of watches and info.

However, I went with my original plan to have a positive display with graphics that link to the 'Tron' theme.

Mitch

Master
    No idea why my reply was copied into yours.....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I have mine on today, fantastic watches. The Tron looks a bit 'trippy' in pictures, I wouldn't mind seeing on in real life.
    Never even contemplated a G shock before, seen this and now thinking ohhh I like that very much is this the 35th Anniversary edition? Just seen it at £349, which seems to be a good price.

Master
    I really like this one too.
    Oh dear.

One does lead to another doesn’t it! I started of with an aged IP, got a Tron and I now have a Ti Camo 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by Rob153 View Post
    Never even contemplated a G shock before, seen this and now thinking ohhh I like that very much is this the 35th Anniversary edition? Just seen it at £349, which seems to be a good price.
    It came out at the same time but I don't think it's an anniversary edition. I think the gold one is but the silver isn't.

The full model name is GMW-B5000D-1ER and they sometimes come up on SC for £225-250 but are on sale here for £350.
    https://simpkinsjewellers.co.uk/casi...-1er-839996911

I was sad and queued up at the G-Shock store on Carnaby Street on launch day! I'd love the aged one or a titanium one at some point.

Master
    It came out at the same time but I don't think it's an anniversary edition. I think the gold one is but the silver isn't.

The full model name is GMW-B5000D-1ER and they sometimes come up on SC for £225-250 but are on sale here for £350.
    https://simpkinsjewellers.co.uk/casi...-1er-839996911

I was sad and queued up at the G-Shock store on Carnaby Street on launch day! I'd love the aged one or a titanium one at some point.
    Looked at the Gold but it’s just not me, doesn’t look appealing at all, cross between `Jimmy Savile and Del Boy.....

Yes that’s where I saw it at 350, will order one, least at that sort money can’t lose much if I move it on.

Master
    Wow OP, you started high end, even more so when you go for the camo!

I still love this more than I should:

Like Tony, this classic also, during a rather warm August!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ten watches NASA Qualified for Space Flight, six of them are G-Shocks.

Love the variety and practical features, here's a handful of others.

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Craftsman
    Love the square dial G Shocks...
    Not only are they functional, but look good too..
    The new aw500e is due out this month in resin and steel...another icon...

As always, a bit slow on Ryan's Tron...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Normally I’d take this as hyperbole, but here it’s hard to be sure! :)

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by magpie215 View Post
    My first G (the square)....very quickly lead to the second......love them both.
    Kind of my path but the other way around: first the DW-5600BB-1; then the GA-2100-1A1ER. Thought of buying a DW-5600 standard display... I am enjoying the stealth vibe but considering a positive LCD just to round it up and have both.

Edit: Just woke up. It's the same path
    Last edited by Tomas_Meinhardt; 4th November 2020 at 08:07.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomas_Meinhardt View Post
    Kind of my path but the other way around: first the DW-5600BB-1; then the GA-2100-1A1ER. Thought of buying a DW-5600 standard display... I am enjoying the stealth vibe but considering a positive LCD just to round it up and have both.

Edit: Just woke up. It's the same path

Master
    It’s addictive...

So here’s the thing... for the last 15 years I have unswervingly maintained (like snowman) that I hate G Shocks. I think that many of the ones featured on this thread look like horrible black plastic carbuncles. That hasn’t changed.

However...

I am increasingly finding myself drawn to the silver full metal one - and that price of £350 is definitely tempting.

The situation is not helped by the fact that I have sold 5 watches so far this year and the money is just sitting in my watch fund account.

I am seriously conflicted .

Simon

Essential piece of kit for me. Forget the reference number but I have the square, same as the DW5600 expect it has world timer, atomic clock sync and solar battery - so always 100% accurate and battery never dies, what more could you ask for. Cost about £80 and as well as being a great tool it’s virtually indestructible. I wear it for exercise, bike rides, coaching & reffing football, manual jobs etc. From a watch perspective it’s the best 80 quid I ever spent. Enjoy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    So here’s the thing... for the last 15 years I have unswervingly maintained (like snowman) that I hate G Shocks. I think that many of the ones featured on this thread look like horrible black plastic carbuncles. That hasn’t changed.

However...

I am increasingly finding myself drawn to the silver full metal one - and that price of £350 is definitely tempting.

The situation is not helped by the fact that I have sold 5 watches so far this year and the money is just sitting in my watch fund account.

Simon
    Absolutely agree with you, a G shock, really? Nope, not for me.
    Put one on and it completely changed my mindset.
    These things are fun and that’s what it’s all about.
    I was getting really bored with watches and these have made me smile all week, i’m more precious about these than any of my other watches.
    Its a funny old game

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Essential piece of kit for me. Forget the reference number but I have the square, same as the DW5600 expect it has world timer, atomic clock sync and solar battery - so always 100% accurate and battery never dies, what more could you ask for. Cost about £80 and as well as being a great tool it’s virtually indestructible. I wear it for exercise, bike rides, coaching & reffing football, manual jobs etc. From a watch perspective it’s the best 80 quid I ever spent. Enjoy.
    Exactly. I've just picked up a GW-M5610-1BER -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/casio-goril.../dp/B07GBKDXNV

for c£90. I like to justify my affection for my Aerospace by gibbering about thermocompensated quartz accuracy etc, but an indestructible battery-free watch with atomic timekeeping (and cool negative display, if that floats yer boat), wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post

for c£90. I like to justify my affection for my Aerospace by gibbering about thermocompensated quartz accuracy etc, but an indestructible battery-free watch with atomic timekeeping (and cool negative display, if that floats yer boat), wow.
    Nice that. I have the old school positive display one. Prefer the look of the neg displays in pictures but find them less legible in reality. Let me know how that one is, I could be tempted to flip for one of those.

However...

Simon
    You could take the view that the outlay is relatively modest, re easy to sell on if you decide you don’t like them...

Full disclosure: I have a mild obsession with the full-metal ones, I think they are superb. Atomic/internet timekeeping, solar power, plus the Bluetooth connectivity is really additive - instead of complex and tedious fiddling with buttons to set timers, alarms, world time zones etc, you can do it all on the app instead. Get into the whole bezel and bracelet swapping thing, and there are hours of fun to be had (don’t judge me...).

My only advice, other than “try one” is that I recommend a model with a bracelet. It’s solid and heavy (unless you go titanium) and really adds to the quality appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    You could take the view that the outlay is relatively modest, re easy to sell on if you decide you don’t like them...

Full disclosure: I have a mild obsession with the full-metal ones, I think they are superb. Atomic/internet timekeeping, solar power, plus the Bluetooth connectivity is really additive - instead of complex and tedious fiddling with buttons to set timers, alarms, world time zones etc, you can do it all on the app instead. Get into the whole bezel and bracelet swapping thing, and there are hours of fun to be had (don’t judge me...).

My only advice, other than “try one” is that I recommend a model with a bracelet. It’s solid and heavy (unless you go titanium) and really adds to the quality appeal.
    You’re not helping

Simon

You’re not helping

Simon
    I know.

I love a g shock - have about 20 currently - but not convinced by the shiny metal ones. I’ve got a few frogmen and screwback squares, most of the iconic shapes etc - and my son has the silver metal solar/Bluetooth/atomic which he’s worn daily for about 2 years. And that’s the problem - it looks totally trashed already. Not wabi sabi ‘got character’ - just trashed, deep gouges and scratches all over it. I’ve got a dw-5600 I’ve worn for all my diy and painting jobs for over 10 years, apart from being slightly shinier than when I bought it, it’s still fine, amd I just replaced the battery for the first time myself. I just think a G shock should have a resin case and strap, they really absorb some abuse and are pretty low key. These fancy metal ones are a bit too fancy - and dare I say delicate?
    I’d also argue the STN display is no better than a basic DW-5600 as it does without the extra layers of film over the display required for the solar function. I just prefer the jeans version to the suit and tie version I guess!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Nice that. I have the old school positive display one. Prefer the look of the neg displays in pictures but find them less legible in reality. Let me know how that one is, I could be tempted to flip for one of those.
    You're abs right that the negative display is not quite as clear as it looks in the pictures. But I find it good enough, despite ageing eyes - when I was reading up on these I did read somewhere that the current generation of Casio negative displays were sharper than their predecessors. Personally I just like the aesthetic so I think it's worth the trade-off. But one thing I would add is that of course when the watch is solar, as these are, you can cheerfully hit the backlight. Whenever I use the backlight on the Aerospace, especially since it stays on a bit longer than necessary, I'm thinking, "hmmm, that brings the next £x00 BUK battery change a week nearer". With the G-Shock who cares, it's solar ...

There are some good views of my particular one @

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq7-dfqaU7A

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I love a g shock - have about 20 currently - but not convinced by the shiny metal ones. I’ve got a few frogmen and screwback squares, most of the iconic shapes etc - and my son has the silver metal solar/Bluetooth/atomic which he’s worn daily for about 2 years. And that’s the problem - it looks totally trashed already. Not wabi sabi ‘got character’ - just trashed, deep gouges and scratches all over it. I’ve got a dw-5600 I’ve worn for all my diy and painting jobs for over 10 years, apart from being slightly shinier than when I bought it, it’s still fine, amd I just replaced the battery for the first time myself. I just think a G shock should have a resin case and strap, they really absorb some abuse and are pretty low key. These fancy metal ones are a bit too fancy - and dare I say delicate?
    I'm in this camp. For me the whole point is that if you smack it against a door handle who cares, it's a plastic G-Shock. I've got an ancient G-100-1BVMUR on which the casing seems to have perished - it feels sticky - no problem, just bought another one ...

I quite like their ambition in diversifying but personally I wouldn't want an expensive metal G-Shock any more than I'd want a cheap plastic Rolex.

Master
    I can appreciate that £500 is quite expensive for a Casio but it’s only a bit of fun. I wasn’t sure about them so when they popped up on SC I thought I’d try them out.
    At £280 for a standard full metal, who cares if it gets whacked off a door frame, I’ve done worse to my other watches.
    I’m still smiling when I look at them and that’s what it’s all about.

Full metal no jacket

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

So if anyone like me has been hovering on the brink of buying a new silver full metal, this may just push you over the edge.

Simpkins Jewellers is no longer the cheapest price in the UK - I’ve just ordered from The Watch Shop with a 25% Black Friday discount, bringing the price down to £337.50.

So my first ever G Shock is due for delivery on Friday the 13th!

Simon

Craftsman
    Wait till you get onto aliexpress and see the replacement straps/cases you can pick up for peanuts. Takes it to another level.

Master
    I've always had a G Shock in my modest collection. Now that I've sold a few other watches I'm on the look out for a decent used G1000b.

So if anyone like me has been hovering on the brink of buying a new silver full metal, this may just push you over the edge.

Simpkins Jewellers is no longer the cheapest price in the UK - I’ve just ordered from The Watch Shop with a 25% Black Friday discount, bringing the price down to £337.50.

So my first ever G Shock is due for delivery on Friday the 13th!

Simon
    Welcome to the Dark Side! ;-)

Craftsman
    Had a similar experience to you, got the 5610 square, thought it would not get much wear, and its now my most worn watch, easy care free, great for my line of work

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Kit from AliExpress -Watch and Kit c. GBP100.

Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    Welcome to the Dark Side! ;-)
    Thank you! It's arrived and I really like it.

Just one question to anyone who can help - it's about resizing the bracelet.

As delivered the bracelet is roughly the right length for King Kong, so I need to remove quite a few links. It's not obvious to me if they are secured by pushpins or screws, as they are quite heavily recessed. There are no helpful arrows on the underside of the links, either. Any advice gratefully received!

Simon

Master
    They are spring pins, easy to remove!

Master
    Thank you! It's arrived and I really like it.

Just one question to anyone who can help - it's about resizing the bracelet.

As delivered the bracelet is roughly the right length for King Kong, so I need to remove quite a few links. It's not obvious to me if they are secured by pushpins or screws, as they are quite heavily recessed. There are no helpful arrows on the underside of the links, either. Any advice gratefully received!

Simon
    Just like removing spring bars, very easy to resize.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Just like removing spring bars, very easy to resize.
    Aah, OK, that makes life easy. Thanks guys. I will get on that in the morning.

Simon

Master
    Aah, OK, that makes life easy. Thanks guys. I will get on that in the morning.

Simon
    I got one in gold today. It’s pretty cool. I might get the silver one next if one pops up in SC . Bracelet was super easy to adjust.

Enjoy:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk