closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tudor Submariners

Master

Tudor Submariners

Knowledgable chaps of TZ, I wanted to get some help from those that know much more than me.

I’m hoping to buy a 40mm Tudor Sub but find it difficult to work out a good price to pitch for. Dealers are all over the shop with them.

Also, what are the best references to look for? I’m looking at everything, but I would probably go for a black, date, version so 79190/79090 or 76100?

I wonder whether I should find a 16610 instead but I have a 14060 now.

Cheers, Berty.

Grand Master
    Hi Rob

Youve handled mine and know how nice they are.Prices are all over the place as with that other Brand thats very similar!.

Heres my beauty....good luck in your search & enjoy that 14060 too,thats why I want another becuse I miss it already!...lol ah well its how it goes hey.

west bank locations

Craftsman

Wearing my 76100 today, I don’t really keep track of values and as has been mentioned they seem all over the place.

They fetch significantly more than what I paid a few years back.

I love mine, it’s had replacement hands at some point so no lollipop hour hand unfortunately. Also came without bracelet but I managed to source a genuine Tudor solid links oyster from a Tudor big block which fits nicely and is probably a better bracelet than original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Both very nice!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Hi Rob

Youve handled mine and know how nice they are.Prices are all over the place as with that other Brand thats very similar!.

Heres my beauty....good luck in your search & enjoy that 14060 too,thats why I want another becuse I miss it already!...lol ah well its how it goes hey.

west bank locations
    What year is yours?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Reiver View Post
    What year is yours?
    Its a 1985.

Master
    I picked up a blue dial 94110 and 79090 a few years ago now and still think they're the ones to go for. They don't get worn much now though due to the crazy increases in value and being stored away. I'm increasingly wearing sub £1k watches to avoid any undue attention/ risk which is a downside of the hobby.

Last edited by deepreddave; 3rd November 2020 at 19:26.

Great thread, keep 'em coming. One of my all time favourite watches. Quite a bit out of my range these days unfortunately...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    I picked up a blue dial 94110 and 79090 a few years ago now and still think they're the ones to go for. They don't get worn much now though due to the crazy increases in value and being stored away. I'm increasingly wearing sub £1k watches to avoid any undue attention/ risk which is a downside of the hobby.

Both absolute beauties!

- - - Updated - - -

More than happy for this to be turned into a show us your Tudor Sub thread by the way!

Here's my 76100. It has a rare service dial with applied markers. No idea if that makes it more valuable or not! Probably not... I'll be moving it on soon anyway.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Here's my 76100. It has a rare service dial with applied markers. No idea if that makes it more valuable or not! Probably not... I'll be moving it on soon anyway.

Tis unusual & I like the curved acrylic & no cyclops too,very 5513 look.

Master

Could be my old watch that one

My 2nd Sub, 79190 with sapphire and T dial.

78500 Oyster bracelets still readily available from AD at £550.

Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    It definitely is your old watch!

My god if I owned that 94110 I think I’d wear it to the exclusion of everything else

So, do these really sell for the crazy money they are listed for? What's a reasonable price you could pick one up these days?

Master
    It definitely is your old watch!
    I knew it ! Glad to see it again. It came from Mr Tudor (aka Ross Povey).

I missed it so had to get another, oh how prices have changed

These are really great watches, love the Tudor subs, would love to own one one day. Question to the owners - do you find you baby them a bit because of their age and increasing scarcity, or would you still dive in the pool or jump in the sea with it on?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    My god if I owned that 94110 I think I’d wear it to the exclusion of everything else
    Haha and thanks, it is a lovely thing. It has some minor marks on the dial and a newer bezel, which I probably prefer that over a faded one, but the lume's aged nicely.

Haha and thanks, it is a lovely thing. It has some minor marks on the dial and a newer bezel, which I probably prefer that over a faded one, but the lume's aged nicely.
    Yup it’s the sub that Tudor refuse to reissue sadly

Splendid just splendid.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I have had a few and still have one.

Black 76100 Lollipop, found on Ebay. Photographed by Gary whilst it was mine, although I did sell it to him. I think it is still his

Blue 76100 which I loved, but it too was sold

The blue lollipop went becasue I have this, a blue 94110, it is still mine. This will not be sold

And I also bought a blue 79090 for my brother-in-law, which he still has, on strict instructions that he is no to sell it without consulting me.

I think the blue 76100 was lovely, and the best of the others because the blue is a unique thing to Tudor, and so is the lollipop. If you get a black one with mercedes, surely it is easier to get a Rolex?
    I do think the blue 79090 is nice, but so much darker than the 76100, to the lollipop's benefit.
    I also like the bare metal date wheel on the 76100s

Dave

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    These are really great watches, love the Tudor subs, would love to own one one day. Question to the owners - do you find you baby them a bit because of their age and increasing scarcity, or would you still dive in the pool or jump in the sea with it on?
    Mine’s from ‘97 I think and being a 79190 has the sapphire crystal. I had it serviced back in May this year and resealed and it was worn daily for a month-long Spanish trip with much water taken, it was absolutely fine.

I’d be a bit more wary with a plexi example but swap that for a new one at service, have it tested and it would be fine.

Jason Heaton who contributes to Hodinkee and Revolution wrote this article some time ago.

https://www.revolution.watch/bottom-...riner/?archive

Yep I still have it Dave, can't see it going anywhere for a while.

Cheers,
    Gary

I should add that i wear my snowflake for swimming and all sorts. I would not have the watch if it cost me its present value, to me it seems that it does not represent that kinfmd of money, so I still use it as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post

Cheers,
    Gary
    No chance of buying it back for what i sold it for then........?
    D

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    No chance of buying it back for what i sold it for then........?
    D
    I suspect the original bracelet is probably worth more what I paid for complete watch these days mate. Its rather absurd how much watch values have increased in the last ten years really.

Cheers,
    Gary

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Yes I probably do baby mine a bit, although not completely. I wouldn’t personally take mine in water, I have more modern, cheaper watches for that.

Craftsman

My 2nd Sub, 79190 with sapphire and T dial.

78500 Oyster bracelets still readily available from AD at £550.

That surprises me about bracelet availability.

I was very lucky sourcing the bracelet for mine, it isn’t the original folded link bracelet but is a genuine Tudor bracelet and I got it for £60. Very nicely made bracelet and just needed a good clean.

I would like to put a lollipop hand set back on but wouldn’t be prepared to pay silly money for the privilege.

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers,
    Gary
    That’s a very clean looking example

Craftsman
    I suspect the original bracelet is probably worth more what I paid for complete watch these days mate. Its rather absurd how much watch values have increased in the last ten years really.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Certainly is. I remember when I bought mine I felt like I’d missed the boat really in terms of bargains but I noticed as I was trying to find one the prices kept creeping up.

Since I got mine they seem to have risen sharply.

I knew it ! Glad to see it again. It came from Mr Tudor (aka Ross Povey).

I missed it so had to get another, oh how prices have changed

...which almost certainly makes it my old, old watch. :) It was fully serviced by Rolex a few years ago with the case brought back to factory spec and dial and hands replaced. Ross then placed the new plexi. Lovely example.

This arrived a while ago - these blue Tudor subs are beautiful

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    This arrived a while ago - these blue Tudor subs are beautiful

My eyes! Beautiful!

Grand Master
    Mines still here when your ready...........

Mine's also still here and languishing on SC. *cough* shameless plug

I’m also the fortunate owner of a 94110

Bought it from Ross Povey a long time ago. It gets the occasional run out!

Journeyman
    I absolutely love Tudor subs and Oyster Princes. It’s rose rather than shield for me, but I’ve missed the boat by about 6 years on these so won’t be buying one. I get my fix from the BB58.

Master
    I must say the blue dial and patina combination looks amazing

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    I’m also the fortunate owner of a 94110

Bought it from Ross Povey a long time ago. It gets the occasional run out!

best tudor sub in my opinion, the blue dial, square hour markers with that lovely patina and the snowflake hand really separates this from the rolex sub. absolute beaut.

Forgot to adjust the time and date... taken this morning :P

Bumping this old thread because......

It has been around 4 years since this thread was created and I would like to see whether members opinions have changed?

Here is a bit of background.
    Over 5 years ago I asked the AD for a S/S Submariner to mark my "Normal" Retirement Age - got 10 months left before earning my State Pension.

And despite regular visits, phone calls and spending with them over £150,000 on watches and jewellery they never fulfilled that request.
    Stating that I was on the list, but then went on to give the usual crap reasons, why it was sooo difficult to get one
    And now that the Retail Price is £9,000 I think that has finished it off for me.

So, I have been considering getting a 16610 Submariner. But over recent weeks there has been a couple of sale posts and chats regarding Tudor Subs.

They appear to me to be more realistically price.

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    It has been around 4 years since this thread was created and I would like to see whether members opinions have changed?

Here is a bit of background.
    Over 5 years ago I asked the AD for a S/S Submariner to mark my "Normal" Retirement Age - got 10 months left before earning my State Pension.

And despite regular visits, phone calls and spending with them over £150,000 on watches and jewellery they never fulfilled that request.
    Stating that I was on the list, but then went on to give the usual crap reasons, why it was sooo difficult to get one
    And now that the Retail Price is £9,000 I think that has finished it off for me.

So, I have been considering getting a 16610 Submariner. But over recent weeks there has been a couple of sale posts and chats regarding Tudor Subs.

They appear to me to be more realistically price.

What do you think?
    I'm a huge fan of tudor subs personally (biased), as there are a lot of variations with different characters whereas most 5 digit Rolex subs look somewhat similar (of course generalising a bit here).

However re. price, good examples of Tudor subs aren't that much cheaper than 16610/14060s anymore...

Good luck with your search:)

Master
    Ive got a 14060m but I am a huge fan of the Tudor Subs from the 80s. Ref 76100 and 79090 still feel vintage due to acrylic crystals, matt dials (well, the black dials are matt and the blue dials are gloss) and tritium markers despite being modern ish watches. The 79090 was the last Tudor to have a acrylic crystal.

Blue dials really do look very cool to me and the pop of colour is something you cant get with Rolex of that era.

Prices for good 76100 and 79090 are certainly fairly close to a 14060\16610 but not quite. They aren't really comparable watches to be fair as a 14060\16610 definitely feels more modern than a 76100 or 79090.

I think you can get a good 76100 for around £6000 and you can get a good 79090 for £5000-£6000. The 9315 bracelet is junk and has folded links, ideally look for one that has a more modern bracelet 93150 etc

I thought this was a decent review - https://fifthwrist.com/tudor-submariner-79090-review/

I think if you have your heart set on a Rolex, get a Rolex. As vain as it sounds and as great as Tudors are, sometimes you need the name of the dial to start with an R.
    Last edited by Slevin Kelevra; 8th January 2024 at 12:19.

Thanks chaps

Saw this one

https://finewatchclub.co.uk/shop/tud...bmariner-79190

I’m amazed your Submariner request hasn’t been fulfilled after 5 years, especially with your spend. If you like the current generation then maybe a chat with the allocation manager might be an idea.

Rolex 5 digit v Tudor?

I have both the 16610 and 14060M, and they are equally lovely. Prices are softer than they were, so the value proposition is reasonable.

The Tudors are going to be mid 1980s to about 1999. They are very desirable, particularly in blue as that was a colour the steel Rolex siblings were never offered in. I would like one, but not in place of one of my Rolex Subs. The original bracelets on these were folded link 9315, and they are bit basic, putting it politely. Rolex gave up on these in the mid 70s, but were happy for Tudor to carry on another 20 years!

The even older Tudor Subs means a Snowflake dial, now I like these a lot, but there is a premium over the later model with lollipop / Mercedes hand and triangular markers. Snowflakes are a minefield, widely faked, undisclosed aftermarket parts etc.

I think you would be happy with a 16610 or 14060. Of the Tudors a blue 79090 or 76100 is lovely, but given equivalent condition / papers they aren’t much cheaper.

Dave

Tudor Submariners

Thanks chaps

Saw this one

Edited to remove wrong comment about the dial.

D
    Last edited by helidoc; 8th January 2024 at 12:45.

Bear in mind that the 79190 (the finewatchclub one) is the most modern, so it has the sapphire crystal and (technical wonder of wonders) a unidirectional bezel (the only Tudor Sub to ever get one).
    So not the most vintage feeling one.
    That one has a solid link (but totally not original in any sense) bracelet (even if it is married to a rather worn Rolex Clasp).
    There are good prices to be seen on Tudor subs from Japanese dealers at the moment, although you will definitely be asked to stump up for VAT on import.

Be sure to look at all the elements of each one, as original parts are very expensive and hard to find.
    And bear in mind that like everything, this is a falling market at the moment, so it is not an "investment" per se, unless you manage an exceptional deal.

Master
    Thanks chaps

Saw this one

I saw this one too, not a bad price considering it’s a full set. Case is a litttle bit scruffy though, I would have thought Watch Club would have cleaned up a little.

I had a 79190 before I got my 16600. Great watches IMO, give you that maxi dial feel with a sapphire crystal. Mine came on a strap and I sourced a Tudor 78500 bracelet for it at £550 new from my AD. It’s still one of those “shouldn’t have sold it” watches.

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I’m amazed your Submariner request hasn’t been fulfilled after 5 years, especially with your spend. If you like the current generation then maybe a chat with the allocation manager might be an idea.

Rolex 5 digit v Tudor?

I have both the 16610 and 14060M, and they are equally lovely. Prices are softer than they were, so the value proposition is reasonable.

The Tudors are going to be mid 1980s to about 1999. They are very desirable, particularly in blue as that was a colour the steel Rolex siblings were never offered in. I would like one, but not in place of one of my Rolex Subs. The original bracelets on these were folded link 9315, and they are bit basic, putting it politely. Rolex gave up on these in the mid 70s, but were happy for Tudor to carry on another 20 years!

The even older Tudor Subs means a Snowflake dial, now I like these a lot, but there is a premium over the later model with lollipop / Mercedes hand and triangular markers. Snowflakes are a minefield, widely faked, undisclosed aftermarket parts etc.

I think you would be happy with a 16610 or 14060. Of the Tudors a blue 79090 or 76100 is lovely, but given equivalent condition / papers they aren’t much cheaper.

Dave

Thanks Dave for your thoughts.
    Certainly the 16610 or 16600 would appear to be a better option.
    I guess that like many other vintage watches, the same applies to Tudor Subs and you have to tread carefully when looking for the right one.
    Regarding your first point, I took the dealership to task and emailed the owner direct. After receiving contact from one of their SA before Christmas who asked if they could help with any purchase. When I pointed out that I had been waiting 5 years, he replied back that it was only recommendations only.
    After receiving that reply, I lost it and told him so.
    Then emailed the owner outlining my history with the company over the past 18 years or so.
    He replied back with a nice email, but wouldn't commit to anything!

I saw this one too, not a bad price considering it’s a full set. Case is a litttle bit scruffy though, I would have thought Watch Club would have cleaned up a little.

I had a 79190 before I got my 16600. Great watches IMO, give you that maxi dial feel with a sapphire crystal. Mine came on a strap and I sourced a Tudor 78500 bracelet for it at £550 new from my AD. It’s still one of those “shouldn’t have sold it” watches.
    Also thank you for your advise.
    Just to clarify the dealer that I attached the link in an earlier post. Is not WATCH CLUB that most of us know, who are based in London.
    This one is located in Norwich.

Thanks chaps

Saw this one

I’m not sure the bracelet is Rolex / Tudor at all

SEL but the clasp is 93150, and no bracelet code. A 93150, or the Tudor equivalent, 78500 would be marked as such and have 380b end links. At a guess, I’m going for an aftermarket oyster with a worn 94 93150 clasp attached.

D

As I said above.

Note that by the time the 79190 came out, Tudor were using Tudor clasps, so even the Rolex one (which may or not be correct) is not correct for this watch