closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hamilton deserves a knighthood or....................

Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    Personally I disagree with the honours lists being frequented by sports people.
    So, who does qualify?

It often seems that some people (sports people, entertainers, etc) get honours unfairly, but we don't really see what they've contributed outside their chosen profession.

Someone mentioned Hamilton's donation to a worthy cause and I'm sure many people honoured quietly go about more selfless work without making a fuss about it (Unlike Smashy and Nicey), so while getting an honour for being good at your job does seem odd I'm sure there's more to it than meets the eye in many cases.

I think it would be churlish not to honour Hamilton when he retires, but the current PM's racist views are well documented, so I'm sure he'll have to wait a while.

Of course, the system isn't about merit, it is about cronyism, hence so many worthless MPs are elevated to the Lords when they're tired of freeloading off the tax payer.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    If it were just about being good in your chosen field, then surely Lewis would have won one years ago.
    As others have mentioned, there is more to it than that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    LH is a dick.
    An incredibly talented driver....yep
    But he's still a dick.
    Some of the comments in this thread are really very strange, unless of course you know him personally?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

I think it would be churlish not to honour Hamilton when he retires, but the current PM's racist views are well documented, so I'm sure he'll have to wait a while.

M
    What a ridiculous thing to say.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    If anyone is deemed deserving of an award now then I don't think they should have to wait until they retire either.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    If anyone is deemed deserving of an award now then I don't think they should have to wait until they retire either.

R
    Whoosh. I think Ook was referring to the PMs “racist views”.

However lots of awards are given after individuals has effectively finished in their respective fields, hence they get special achievement awards. Which is perhaps why Moss had to wait until he was 70.

But you are right, why wait, unless of course the individual has already chosen to delay their gong until after they retire or when they decide the time is right.

This might be the case for Lewis. Or it might be that the establishment are waiting until he achieves, or betters, all F1 world records, or they have decided to put F1 into the same category as World Superbike (Foggy), Motorbike Trials (Lamkin), Snooker (Davis/Hendry), Darts (Bristow, Taylor). All are multiple world champions, yet all have been overlooked.
    Last edited by Andyg; 5th November 2020 at 14:05.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Do you think that because he is unaware of any racist comments made by BJ?

R

EDIT: No need to answer that now, he is aware of racist comments made by BJ.
    Last edited by ralphy; 6th November 2020 at 09:01.
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    Some of the comments in this thread are really very strange, unless of course you know him personally?
    Nope...I don't know Kanye West or Donald Trump either....but they're also dicks.
    You don't need to know someone personally before you establish an opinion.
    Admittedlt, LH can drive. Incredibly well. But that's about it.
    He's not particulary liked other than by his loyal, F1 adoring, jingoistic fanbase.

What a horrible thread

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    What a horrible thread
    Yep, some very nasty, racist, homophobic and generally unpleasant views have been aired, there are some deeply unpleasant people here.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Yep, some very nasty, racist, homophobic and generally unpleasant views have been aired, there are some deeply unpleasant people here.
    Please narrow down which posts you are referring to.

Do some basic research or is it just ridiculous because you don't want to hear it?

M

Blog Entries
    Do some basic research or is it just ridiculous because you don't want to hear it?

M
    Since you obviously misunderstood my post, I can't even be bothered.

Blog Entries
    Actually I have to admit Ralphy was right in his reply.

Sorry.
    I was wrong. LH deserves a Knighthood. Now.
    Someone must make this happen please, as a matter of urgency. There are way too many offended, distraught, hand wringing Hamilton lovers playing racist cards.
    And nothing's going to trump one of those is it? Therefore, I surrender...I quit...I give in....I'm out..

*Exits thread.......closed door quietly*

I can't say that surprises me.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I can't say that surprises me.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    No, you're probably used to it.

I always thought Steve Curtis (MBE) - 8 times Offshore powerboat World Champion was quite overlooked.

I know its not a sport of the masses but great achievement non the less..

Hamilton irrespective of anyones feelings about him has had an amazing run to catch up with Michaels haul...

On the facts and records he’s achieved, yes he should get one.
    However is motor racing a sport that is just down to the driver? The development of the car, behind the scenes work,
    and undoubtedly you need the right man behind the wheel.

But, unlike tennis, or snooker, or athletics say, it’s down to the individual in the sport... not because Murray has the best racquet, or Davis had the best cue, or Farah had the best running spikes... it’s one man, or woman out there on their own...

Craftsman

Awards

He should reject any award and stop playing the system game. People get awards just for doing their job, civil servants for example. It's just a sign of recognition from the establishment......and know your place.

Quote Originally Posted by deanlad View Post
    On the facts and records he’s achieved, yes he should get one.
    However is motor racing a sport that is just down to the driver? The development of the car, behind the scenes work,
    and undoubtedly you need the right man behind the wheel.

But, unlike tennis, or snooker, or athletics say, it’s down to the individual in the sport... not because Murray has the best racquet, or Davis had the best cue, or Farah had the best running spikes... it’s one man, or woman out there on their own...

Quote Originally Posted by EBB21 View Post
    He should reject any award and stop playing the system game. People get awards just for doing their job, civil servants for example. It's just a sign of recognition from the establishment......and know your place.
    Do you mean that by accepting any award he is 'playing the system'?

ISTM LH has had plenty of experience of others trying to tell him to know his place...

R

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    I always thought Steve Curtis (MBE) - 8 times Offshore powerboat World Champion was quite overlooked.
    The fact he was awarded an MBE for his 'services to sport' suggests he hasn't been completely overlooked.

R

Craftsman
    I agree. Why now should he accept acceptance from those above. Personally, I think he deserves an award, but maybe one from the sport itself. Someone who has worked all their life in helping others gets an MBE, while many others get a knighthood, and probably well paid + a good pension for doing what they've been well paid to do. YES, PRIME MINISTER. Honours episode

QUOTE=ralphy;5590910]Do you mean that by accepting any award he is 'playing the system'?

ISTM LH has had plenty of experience of others trying to tell him to know his place...

R[/QUOTE]

His still very young. I know Murray was younger, but even that was criticised and maybe waiting until after retirement might be a better way of recognising a career.
    It's just a matter of time...

Ellen MacArthur was made a dame at age 29, was that because of a lifetime's dedication or for being involved in an activity which is of such great importance to the British public?

Again, that decision was heavily criticised. But a lot of these awards are of their moment, and how they capture a nation.

There are lots of people who don’t get the recognition they deserve, but that’s life.

Im sure a petition with enough backing will have more effect than a moan on a watch forum.
    It's just a matter of time...

The fact he was awarded an MBE for his 'services to sport' suggests he hasn't been completely overlooked.

R
    Completely Agree Ralphy but it took a while....where others seem to be way too instant Ben Stokes ?

Quote Originally Posted by EBB21 View Post

The problem by refusing will be the the Media. You can imagine the headlines “Tax dodging, vegan, Lewis Hamilton snubs the Queen in a fit of woke about inequality” I can just see Piers Morgan frothing at the mouth. Dammed if he does, dammed if he doesn’t. I just hope they wait until he retires.
    Last edited by Andyg; 18th November 2020 at 20:59.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    The problem by refusing will be the the Media. You can imagine the headlines “Tax dodging, vegan, Lewis Hamilton snubs the Queen in a fit of woke about inequality” I can just see Piers Morgan frothing at the mouth. Dammed if he does, dammed if he doesn’t. I just hope they wait until he retires.
    Persons nominated for an honour are first contacted by the Cabinet Office and notified they have been nominated. They can choose to decline the honour at that point. Persons who have rejected an honour doesn't usually get into the press unless they themselves reveal the fact.

If LH did refuse he would be joining an illustrious list of men who have declined a knighthood, Bernie Ecclestone amomg them !!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...H)%3B%20E.%20M.

See 3.10 in the link.

Master
    It's a no from me:

"Lewis Hamilton loses three-year trademark battle with firm who sold 'Hamilton' watches since 1892"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...jeweller-sold/

Critical thinking, analysis and comprehension skills seem to be in short supply on the forum these days. Bang goes the illusion that this place is populated by intelligent and educated people with any sort of life experience.

Why ever not, he's the most successful F1 driver ever, there have been hundreds of less deserving recipients for sure.
    This.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I'm sure Hamilton is rewarded enough in ££££££££ but you seem to need loads of ££££££££ to even be looked at for a knighthood nowadays.

Agreed, too many idiots contributing. Another thread that should be in the BP. It was bound to bring out the worst of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Critical thinking, analysis and comprehension skills seem to be in short supply on the forum these days. Bang goes the illusion that this place is populated by intelligent and educated people with any sort of life experience.
    Agreed...but the bubble was burst some time ago.

A man of his talent, skill and total dedication doesn't need a gong from the leeching, parasitical royals to feel any vindication for his achievements.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    A man of his talent, skill and total dedication doesn't need a gong from the leeching, parasitical royals to feel any vindication for his achievements.
    There's a lot of worthy people that are very proud to have a knighthood including SAS soldier Sir Billy Bingham, just because you don't like the Royals, doesn't mean much anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    There's a lot of worthy people that are very proud to have a knighthood including SAS soldier Sir Billy Bingham, just because you don't like the Royals, doesn't mean much anyway.
    I assume you're referring to Mark 'Billy' Billingham who has an MBE, not a Knighthood.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    I assume you're referring to Mark 'Billy' Billingham who has an MBE, not a Knighthood.
    My apologies for the mistake, he was proud to receive the award from the Queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    My apologies for the mistake, he was proud to receive the award from the Queen.
    I'm sure you've read his book, a proper story of street urchin to quiet hero; iirc he got the MBE for being the ground commander of the military response to the London 7/7 bombings.

Do you even know or understand the honours process? Most of these “Honours” are determined by the Government of the day, after they have been nominated, including those who enter the House of Lards.

The only award that Queen can bestow in her own right is Order of the Garter, of which there are 24 including Sir John Major and Mervyn King - why them, well perhaps because she likes them😀

But you are right a person with skill, dedication and talent doesn’t need a gong to make them who they are, but then it’s still nice to get recognition from others for that skill, dedication and talent. Perhaps this is why we have school awards every year, player of the year, the oscars, etc, etc. It’s nothing new and certainly not something unique to this country or the Royals. It’s just nice!

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by RickS View Post
    Persons nominated for an honour are first contacted by the Cabinet Office and notified they have been nominated. They can choose to decline the honour at that point. Persons who have rejected an honour doesn't usually get into the press unless they themselves reveal the fact.

If LH did refuse he would be joining an illustrious list of men who have declined a knighthood, Bernie Ecclestone amomg them !!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...H)%3B%20E.%20M.

See 3.10 in the link.

But he did refuse and some how his rejection made its way into the media (not via Hamilton), then it would cause a problem, just as much if the Government were viewed as snubbing a 7 time World Champion. Hopefully if it offered, Hamilton will publicly refuse and give his reasons, like Bowie did.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Do you even know or understand the honours process? Most of these “Honours” are determined by the Government of the day, after they have been nominated, including those who enter the House of Lards.

The only award that Queen can bestow in her own right is Order of the Garter, of which there are 24 including Sir John Major and Mervyn King - why them, well perhaps because she likes them😀

But you are right a person with skill, dedication and talent doesn’t need a gong to make them who they are, but then it’s still nice to get recognition from others for that skill, dedication and talent. Perhaps this is why we have school awards every year, player of the year, the oscars, etc, etc. It’s nothing new and certainly not something unique to this country or the Royals. It’s just nice!
    Of course I do. In my world view however, I don't need a Blue Peter badge to vindicate my existence or achievements. Nor do I need to accept the blandishments of anyone else, especially an unelected elite reliving the hierarchical structures of medievalism or empire.
    Some people want that I don't.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Of course I do. In my world view however, I don't need a Blue Peter badge to vindicate my existence or achievements. Nor do I need to accept the blandishments of anyone else, especially an unelected elite reliving the hierarchical structures of medievalism or empire.
    Some people want that I don't.
    It’s what holds the country together.

Master
    Off the back of this display of sheer arrogance there is no way he should get a knighthood

https://timeandtidewatches.com/hamil...ilton-watches/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talking of arrogance:
    Named after the Mercedes driver’s race number, 44IP attempted to trademark the name “Lewis Hamilton” for a number of goods including watches, smartwatches and jewellery. But Hamilton watches challenged the move.
    I see no reason why Lewis Hamilton should not, if offered a knighthood, accept the honour nor can I understand why anyone would hope that he refuse it.

R

Talking of arrogance:

I see no reason why Lewis Hamilton should not, if offered a knighthood, accept the honour nor can I understand why anyone would hope that he refuse it.

R
    Watched an interview few days ago which suggested he’d be very pleased to accept an award.

Bit odd as the committee don’t publicise anything but it’s all over the news
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.t...s-honours/amp/

If he does get a knighthood, I expect social media will have meltdown. A lot of very angry, jealous, bitter and racist folks will be very unhappy.

Friedrich Nietzsche