closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hamilton deserves a knighthood or....................

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    Maybe so but given he has the best car by far he’’ll win for ever and break many records. Perhaps it’s the designer that should get a gong. It’s a bit like Jonny Rea winning the world super bikes way out in front till Ducati was a threat then Kawasaki getting the competition neutered.
    He's obviously a massive talent that's why Mercedes pay him the big bucks, why should having the best car count against you! Go back through history the best drivers have the best cars.

Yes he’s a world beater but he’s only a driver, soldiers are only soldiers, nurses are only nurses but the common thing is there all just doing there job at the end of the day. It shouldn’t come with the expectations of a knighthood.
    And when solders and nurses get to the top of their tree they often get honoured/decorated.

Do you really think that he started out in motor sport with the expectation of getting a Knighthood?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Maybe so but given he has the best car by far he’’ll win for ever and break many records. Perhaps it’s the designer that should get a gong. It’s a bit like Jonny Rea winning the world super bikes way out in front till Ducati was a threat then Kawasaki getting the competition neutered.

Yes he’s a world beater but he’s only a driver, soldiers are only soldiers, nurses are only nurses but the common thing is there all just doing there job at the end of the day. It shouldn’t come with the expectations of a knighthood.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Totally agree - F1 is a team sport, but the best teams attract the best drivers.
    Same as in football, and most other team sports.

In 7 years, Lewis' team-mate has only beaten him to the WDC once, and Rosberg was lucky to do that (and knew it).

Master
    No, many of the recipients of honours didn’t deserve theirs, Sports, entertainment, politicians? outdated system anyway, Sir Tom maybe.

I love him the same way I love Imran Khan. Both make the skin of certain people crawl.

He doesn't need a knighthood. If he's offered one, he deserves it. If he's not offered one or refuses, no big deal. Everyone knows he's the greatest driver of his era and possibly any era. He's done it against all odds.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    I love him the same way I love Imran Khan. Both make the skin of certain people crawl.

He doesn't need a knighthood. If he's offered one, he deserves it. If he's not offered one or refuses, no big deal. Everyone knows he's the greatest driver of his era and possibly any era. He's done it against all odds.
    Imran Khan the former cricket player?

Master
    Blog Entries
    how is someone who happens to be a good driver doing it for himself more deserving than a good nurse or a good fireman for example doing it for us?

As for the military I dont know anyone who joined to be famous,get rich,get a medal or any advancement,though I cant speak for some officers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post

“He's done it against all odds.”

Coming from Stevenage you mean?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Yep, IK the former cricketer.

Against all odds meaning a mixed race kid making it in what is a white man's sport. From a relatively poor background. His dad clearly did a lot for him and had the added pressure of a younger son with cerebral palsy. That son has also massively overachieved with the hand he was dealt. LH has spoken about racism directed at him in his younger years. He responded on the track. I tip my hat to the whole family.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post

Coming from St. Evenage you mean?
    Fixed that for you...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Fixed that for you...
    Lost me there old chap. Is it slang for something?

Lost me there old chap. Is it slang for something?
    No, old chap, it's not. It's a bastardisation I read of Lewis' americanism which he turns on and off "when in Rome: so to speak.

Blog Entries
    No, old chap, it's not. It's a bastardisation I read of Lewis' americanism which he turns on and off "when in Rome: so to speak.
    Oh I see...not.

Thought perhaps it was something to do with the Stevenage slums he managed to rise out of.

Oh I see...not.
    No, I didn't think you could...

Blog Entries
    No, I didn't think you could...
    Well not surprising given the explanation is it?

Well not surprising given the explanation is it?
    Actually, it is perfectly clear, as I wrote.......I might be going out on a limb here to say that you possibly didn't understand the explanation.

Furthermore, I've never been to Stevenage so what are these "slums" you speak of ?

"It's a bastardisation I read of Lewis' americanism which he turns on and off" . Perhaps read it again.

It explains why I wrote what I did and where it came from ?

Capiche ???
    Last edited by reggie747; 3rd November 2020 at 23:58.

Blog Entries
    Actually, it is perfectly clear, as I wrote.......I might be going out on a limb here to say that you possibly didn't understand the explanation.

Furthermore, I've never been to Stevenage so what are these "slums" you speak of ?

"It's a bastardisation I read of Lewis' americanism which he turns on and off" . Perhaps read it again.

It explains why I wrote what I did and where it came from ?

Capiche ???
    Nope. "a bastardisation I read of Lewis' americanism" doesn't mean anything to me I'm afraid.

"Furthermore, I've never been to Stevenage so what are these "slums" you speak of ?" It was Hamilton that spoke of the 'slums', I simply said he did.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 4th November 2020 at 00:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon;[URL="tel:5576314"
    5576314[/URL]]Yep, IK the former cricketer.

Against all odds meaning a mixed race kid making it in what is a white man's sport. From a relatively poor background. His dad clearly did a lot for him and had the added pressure of a younger son with cerebral palsy. That son has also massively overachieved with the hand he was dealt. LH has spoken about racism directed at him in his younger years. He responded on the track. I tip my hat to the whole family.

You got it!
    I can’t see why certain folk get wound up by the mere mention of his name? Strange isn’t it.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    how is someone who happens to be a good driver doing it for himself more deserving than a good nurse or a good fireman for example doing it for us?
    You don’t just happen to be the best driver in the world. It takes an immense amount of training, self belief, practice, skill, sacrifice and determination.

Hundreds of millions of people can drive. Hundreds of thousands have tried to compete at some level of motor sport. Very few can earn a living doing it, even fewer are crowned world champions.

I’m pretty sure that if I wanted to become a nurse or firefighter I could. If I wanted Lewis’ seat in F1 there’s literally zero chance, even though I happen to be a good driver.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    You don’t just happen to be the best driver in the world. It takes an immense amount of training, self belief, practice, skill, sacrifice and determination.

Hundreds of millions of people can drive. Hundreds of thousands have tried to compete at some level of motor sport. Very few can earn a living doing it, even fewer are crowned world champions.

I’m pretty sure that if I wanted to become a nurse or firefighter I could. If I wanted Lewis’ seat in F1 there’s literally zero chance, even though I happen to be a good driver.
    So what. It’s still just a bloke performing well in his chosen profession and getting paid extremely well for it. Why does that mean he should be considered for a knighthood? This isn’t specific to Hamilton either as I have the same view for all sportsmen & women who get awarded gongs just because they happen to be particularly good at their chosen job and win the right race on the right world stage.

I’m also pretty sure that to become a nurse or a firefighter takes a lot of training,self belief,practice,skill,sacrifice and determination.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    So what. It’s still just a bloke performing well in his chosen profession and getting paid extremely well for it. Why does that mean he should be considered for a knighthood? This isn’t specific to Hamilton either as I have the same view for all sportsmen & women who get awarded gongs just because they happen to be particularly good at their chosen job and win the right race on the right world stage.

I’m also pretty sure that to become a nurse or a firefighter takes a lot of training,self belief,practice,skill,sacrifice and determination.
    From what I can see the only reason he should have one is because others had one when they achieved less. Not such a compelling reason, is it?

He's excellent at what he does, no question. He's also very well compensated for that and doesn't need anything before or after his name for doing well at work.

I would love it if he was offered one and turned it down. That's a much more exclusive club to be a part of.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    The trouble with SPOTY is that, it is a BBC shortlist, chosen by a panel of BBC judges, of sports predominately covered by the BBC.
    And the process for selecting people for a knighthood is what exactly? A plebiscite? At least the public get a vote in SPOTY

The BBC hardly covers any sports these days, certainly not road cycling, cricket or F1 all of which have provided recent winners

Presumably the naysayers are also against company bonuses. You are paid a salary for your work, with the expectation that you will do it to the best of your ability; why should you receive an end-of-year bonus for doing exactly what are paid to do? Refusing it would definitely put you in an exclusive club - probably a club with only one member.

Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post

No UK driver has every achieved more in motor racing but John Surtees didn't receive a knighthood either despite being well deserved.
    And again, nobody will ever emulate his achievement in cars and on bikes but he wasn't deemed worthy of a K.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Presumably the naysayers are also against company bonuses. You are paid a salary for your work, with the expectation that you will do it to the best of your ability; why should you receive an end-of-year bonus for doing exactly what are paid to do? Refusing it would definitely put you in an exclusive club - probably a club with only one member.
    End of year bonus is earned and comes from your employer. A knighthood is given. Very different.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    It’s not even remotely similar. Work bonuses are part and parcel of negotiated terms and conditions.And before the inevitable comments I can confirm that I do not receive a bonus on top of my basic pay.
    Last edited by village; 4th November 2020 at 16:41.

It’s not even remotely similar. Work bonuses are part and parcel of negotiated terms and conditions.And before the inevitable comments I can confirm that I do not receive a bonus on top of my basic pay.
    A lot of bonuses, whilst they maybe written in the terms of a contract, also remain discretionary.

But I agree, bonuses have nothing to do with the honours system, unless it’s written/expected that someone will get an honour for doing their job, (like High Court Judges, The Speaker, Ambassadors, Head of the CPS, etc) which is why he have Sir Keir Starmer for example.

To me an MBE, OBE, CBE or KBE (unless given to civil servants) are a bit like any other award, except it’s awarded by the Queen or Government of the day. So unlike a Nobel, Grammy, Oscar, BAFTA, etc, etc, etc.

But just like many of these awards, the people deciding who get what, have a criteria they use. So has the nominee made a positive contribution in their field, have they kept their nose clean, has their performance been above and beyond their peers have they been a good ambassador for the UK generally, have they do their bit for the Charity, the Environment, Civil Rights, etc and perhaps most importantly will they cause embarrassment in the future. Finally will they use their award for good. If the answer is yes, then they might offer an award, but as David Bowie demonstrated, you don’t have to accept it.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    A lot of bonuses, whilst they maybe written in the terms of a contract, also remain discretionary.

But I agree, bonuses have nothing to do with the honours system, unless it’s written/expected that someone will get an honour for doing their job, (like High Court Judges, The Speaker, Ambassadors, Head of the CPS, etc) which is why he have Sir Keir Starmer for example.

To me an MBE, OBE, CBE or KBE (unless given to civil servants) are a bit like any other award, except it’s awarded by the Queen or Government of the day. So unlike a Nobel, Grammy, Oscar, BAFTA, etc, etc, etc.

But just like many of these awards, the people deciding who get what, have a criteria they use. So has the nominee made a positive contribution in their field, have they kept their nose clean, has their performance been above and beyond their peers have they been a good ambassador for the UK generally, have they do their bit for the Charity, the Environment, Civil Rights, etc and perhaps most importantly will they cause embarrassment in the future. Finally will they use their award for good. If the answer is yes, then they might offer an award, but as David Bowie demonstrated, you don’t have to accept it.
    Quite, Bowie turned down a CBE in 2000 and then a knighthood in 2003. He told the Sun newspaper "I would never have any intention of accepting anything like that," and "I seriously don't know what it's for. It's not what I spent my life working for." which is fair enough. I don't think Bowie had a any particular gripe with the awards from what he said, he just didn't see them as relevant to him. Always liked Bowie from the Ziggy days, and that didn't change anything for me, in fact I thought he was just being honest.

A lot of bonuses, whilst they maybe written in the terms of a contract, also remain discretionary.t.
    If a bonus is part of your terms and conditions,and you (or the company) meet the requirements stated within said terms,then the bonus is paid. That is not discretionary.
    If the bonus is not part of your contractual rights and the targets that need to be met in order for you to receive the bonus are (a) flexible and changing and (b) payment is at the sole discretion of your manager, then that is a discretionary bonus.

Master
    I like him for being so passionate about the need to protect the environment and how we should all change our ways and think of the future. Such high ethics for someone still so young.

To be considered for a knighthood you need to have made a major contribution at a national level. Other people in the nominee's area will see their contribution as inspirational and significant, requiring commitment over a long period of time.

On that basis, I'd say LH qualifies.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by southerner101 View Post
    I like him for being so passionate about the need to protect the environment and how we should all change our ways and think of the future. Such high ethics for someone still so young.
    I like that he’s so passionate about the environment whilst making a load of cash from a sport that adds circa 250,000 tonnes of CO2 per annum to the atmosphere.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by southerner101 View Post
    There goes another keyboard........

SydR
    Yes but only if he can still win in the way he does now by moving to another team whilst Mercedes maintain their current dominance.

A lot of what he has achieved is down to the car and being better that his only serious competition, Bottas.

Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    Yes but only if he can still win in the way he does now by moving to another team whilst Mercedes maintain their current dominance.

A lot of what he has achieved is down to the car and being better that his only serious competition, Bottas.
    Lol

Good one

If a bonus is part of your terms and conditions,and you (or the company) meet the requirements stated within said terms,then the bonus is paid. That is not discretionary.
    If the bonus is not part of your contractual rights and the targets that need to be met in order for you to receive the bonus are (a) flexible and changing and (b) payment is at the sole discretion of your manager, then that is a discretionary bonus.
    I think you will find that if the T&Cs says is discretionary, then it’s discretionary. Mine, at two companies, were very clear, simply because it was assessed on personal performance, the performance of the division, the country and the company as a whole. So I could hit my numbers, the division could hit there’s, even the country could achieve there’s, but if the global business had a nightmare because of its performance in the US/Japan, etc then no or reduced bonos.

interesting but nothing to do with knighthoods i feel.
    Last edited by Andyg; 4th November 2020 at 21:08.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Err, doesn’t winning the WDC (or 7) qualify, or are you suggesting that a racing driver should only qualify for a knighthood if they win at 3 teams. Steward only managed it at 2 teams (which both had the same engine). And Sterling Moss never actually won a WDC.

As for his competition, don’t you believe that it’s just possible that Hamilton is a truly exceptional talent. Much like Micheal Jordon, Usain Bolt, Mohammed Ali, Wayne Gretzky, etc, and the rest of the competition simply cannot touch him.

As for team, little doubt Mercedes make a massive contribution, however how good would have Sir Bradley Wiggins have been without Team GB and Sky, or Sir Alex Ferguson without Giggs, Beckham, et el, Sir Clive Woodwood without Martin Johnson, Jonnie Wilkinson. These people stand on the shoulders of giants, as does Hamilton, but Hamilton is the guy who still has to handle the pressure, help set up the car, help plan the strategy, qualify, gets poles, wins races, score the points and make sure the car finishes in one piece.

I could go on, but I am sure you get the message,

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    I like that he’s so passionate about the environment whilst making a load of cash from a sport that adds circa 250,000 tonnes of CO2 per annum to the atmosphere.
    I think that’s F1 as a whole so includes the factories, travel, testing as well as actual racing. But at least he does own a Airline and energy company.

But have you given any thought to the amount of pollution caused by other sports. For example football. How many fans travel to games each week normally? Or how much pollution will be generated by the World Cup or Olympics? Or how much pollution is generated making cheap sporting tat/merch in China and exported around the world because teams like to have 2-3 kits every year.

You are quite right to identify the problem, but at least F1, with the introduction of hybrid technology, restrictions on fuel, etc are attempting to do something about it. What about other sports?

Friedrich Nietzsche

SydR

Hamilton deserves a knighthood or....................

Err, doesn’t winning the WDC (or 7) qualify, or are you suggesting that a racing driver should only qualify for a knighthood if they win at 3 teams. Steward only managed it at 2 teams (which both had the same engine). And Sterling Moss never actually won a WDC.

As for his competition, don’t you believe that it’s just possible that Hamilton is a truly exceptional talent. Much like Micheal Jordon, Usain Bolt, Mohammed Ali, Wayne Gretzky, etc, and the rest of the competition simply cannot touch him.

As for team, little doubt Mercedes make a massive contribution, however how good would have Sir Bradley Wiggins have been without Team GB and Sky, or Sir Alex Ferguson without Giggs, Beckham, et el, Sir Clive Woodwood without Martin Johnson, Jonnie Wilkinson. These people stand on the shoulders of giants, as does Hamilton, but Hamilton is the guy who still has to handle the pressure, help set up the car, help plan the strategy, qualify, gets poles, wins races, score the points and make sure the car finishes in one piece.

One of the few on you list, Alex Ferguson, is the only one who has proven they are not a one trick pony, being successful at Aberdeen, and breaking the old firm dominance, before Man U. However a rather odious man, from personal experience. Personally I disagree with the honours lists being frequented by sports people.

No, please go on....

He’s not just some bloke performing well, he’s six-time world champion with 19 world records to his name. To call him ‘just some bloke’ is playing down his achievements somewhat. I don’t doubt there’s some effort to becoming a firefighter or nurse but they’re career paths most of us could if so inclined. Whereas becoming a world champion sports person is still the stuff of dreams for most of us, and that’s why they’re celebrated.

He’s not just some bloke performing well, he’s six-time world champion with 19 world records to his name. To call him ‘just some bloke’ is playing down his achievements somewhat. I don’t doubt there’s some effort to becoming a firefighter or nurse but they’re career paths most of us could if so inclined. Whereas becoming a world champion sports person is still the stuff of dreams for most of us, and that’s why they’re celebrated.
    No, he’s a bloke who has been driving a car that is miles faster than any other car on the grid, his only competition has been his team mate, when they have been allowed to race. It’s not Hamilton’s fault, the travesty is that the organisers allowed this to happen and did nothing about it

One of the few on you list, Alex Ferguson, is the only one who has proven they are not a one trick pony, being successful at Aberdeen, and breaking the old firm dominance, before Man U. However a rather odious man, from personal experience. Personally I disagree with the honours lists being frequented by sports people.
    Hamilton isn’t a one trick pony either, he was runner up WDC in his rookie year and won it in his second year - with McLaren. It then took him 5 years to win it again with Mercedes.

As for the views on the honours list I don’t disagree, but what about Actors, Authors, Poets, Pop Singers, Industrialist, Bankers! In or out? Perhaps it should be restricted to those working for NGOs or Civil Servants.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Tickeros View Post
    Arise Sir Cockwomble.
    This deserves a revisit.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    No, he’s a bloke who has been driving a car that is miles faster than any other car on the grid, his only competition has been his team mate, when they have been allowed to race. It’s not Hamilton’s fault, the travesty is that the organisers allowed this to happen and did nothing about it
    Not strictly true, Vettel was 2nd in the WDC in 2017 and 2018 and he was certainly NOT his team mate. In 2018 Bottas actually finished 5th.

As for Mercedes imposing team orders, care to share your evidence. Please don’t reference Russia 2018, it’s been done to death and explained by Toto. Team Mercedes Vs Team Ferrari.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    This deserves a revisit.
    Lord Lewis of CockWomble has a ring to it. 😀

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    What about other sports?
    Hamilton is being singled out here but I’d be just as critical of any other person who claimed to be environmentally conscious whilst not practicing what they preach. Let’s face it, he doesn’t need the cash and he’s broken pretty much every record available. If he was that concerned surely he’d duck out of F1.

You are doing a cracking job of missing the point. Sportsmen and women who excel in their chosen sports and achieve sporting awards/prizes/medals and what have you is a completely different discussion to those same sportsmen & women being given MBEs,CBEs,knighthoods etc just for being good at sport. Applaud them by all means for becoming a world champion,a champions league winner,a world record breaking sprinter etc but inviting them to Buck House just because they’ve done so is a nonsense.

And I think you are somewhat underestimating the ability to become a firefighter or a nurse. I don’t think that most of us could if so inclined.I think it takes a special type of person to become either.

As for the views on the honours list I don’t disagree, but what about Actors, Authors, Poets, Pop Singers, Industrialist, Bankers! In or out? Perhaps it should be restricted to those working for NGOs or Civil Servants.
    Just the same...it’s a nonsense unless they have done something meaningful and worthwhile to society,not just been in some big films or wrote a few songs.

Honours? I’ll say it again: Dame Mary Berry.

Nuff said!

LH is a dick.
    An incredibly talented driver....yep
    But he's still a dick.

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    Hamilton is being singled out here but I’d be just as critical of any other person who claimed to be environmentally conscious whilst not practicing what they preach. Let’s face it, he doesn’t need the cash and he’s broken pretty much every record available. If he was that concerned surely he’d duck out of F1.

Wow, show me anyone who claims to be “environmentally conscious” and I will show you a hypocrite at some level.

Friedrich Nietzsche