closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hamilton deserves a knighthood or....................

Hamilton deserves a knighthood or....................

I was just reading an article about Lewis Hamilton and a good case for him receiving a knighthood which considering his records and achievements is fare enough as I can't imagine anyone doing it again in the future, the likes of Andy Murray, Bradley Wiggins, Mo Farah etc etc have all received one whilst doing something they love and making a lot of money in the process.

It made me think of all the military personnel with poppy day coming up who have seen action in the various wars in the last few years (and before), Falklands, Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria etc and every day faced being shot, blown up, maimed or killed while being paid a pittance compared to the sports stars, I think they deserve a medal every day they get out of bed when in a war zone.

He pays all his tax in the UK, right?
    "A man of little significance"

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    And 3....2....1....

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    And 3....2....1....

Master
    The lyrics to this song sum up my feelings:

(As an aside, this video predates by only a couple of months a series of events, the recovery from which, surely qualify Neil Peart as a very worthy role model if not a hero).

Master
    Blog Entries
    For those not going out this weekend, why not donate a pint

https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/get...to-give/donate

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    I was just reading an article about Lewis Hamilton and a good case for him receiving a knighthood which considering his records and achievements is fare enough as I can't imagine anyone doing it again in the future, the likes of Andy Murray, Bradley Wiggins, Mo Farah etc etc have all received one whilst doing something they love and making a lot of money in the process.

It made me think of all the military personnel with poppy day coming up who have seen action in the various wars in the last few years (and before), Falklands, Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria etc and every day faced being shot, blown up, maimed or killed while being paid a pittance compared to the sports stars, I think they deserve a medal every day they get out of bed when in a war zone.

At least military personnel do get a medal, unlike doctors, nurses, most emergency workers, etc.

In respect to Hamilton I genuinely hope he refuses any more awards (he already has an MBE), until he at least retires. That said he is far more deserving than some sport/media/actor types and many politicians who creep around the House of Lords.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/13...d-mercedes-spt

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Arise Sir Cockwomble.

Craftsman
    Serviceman's lot, though they did give me a medal for staying the course for fifteen years and keeping out of trouble.

One of the extremely lucky ones with no campaign medals, as every time during my service there was a conflict I was either on a training course or the instructor of a training course, so not required to go.

Regard Mr. Hamilton then I think he does deserve some recognition of his achievements as a British sportsman, despite like many professional sports people at the top of their chosen discipline being paid probably far to much, particularly in comparison to those keeping the country going on a supposed living wage; why my son in his late 20's has been forced to move back home, along with being out of work twice now due to the two lockdowns.
    Last edited by Ed875; 2nd November 2020 at 21:51.

Blog Entries
    Would be another chance for him to ‘take a knee’!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    The lyrics to this song sum up my feelings:

That's actually about a gay man who died from complications arising from AIDS and a young woman who was murdered by a serial killer, so that's a head scratcher.

This one works nicely for Lewis - at least in the title.

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    According to some he does that often.

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    That's actually about a gay man who died from complications arising from AIDS and a young woman who was murdered by a serial killer, so that's a head scratcher.
    Err, no it's not, do pay attention. It's actually about the people society view as heroes versus the people who actually are.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post

That is the system, those morons Ant and Dec make more than a room full of top military or top surgeons put together

indeed hes right up there paying his fair share with Sir Phillip Green

Blog Entries
    Doesn’t seem to be many in favour tbh.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

On the basis of what others have received knighthoods for he does deserve one, after all Jackie Stewart got one for going shooting with the royals (sorry safety contributions), the real issue is the devaluation of such awards and the cronyism that surrounds them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    On the basis of what others have received knighthoods for he does deserve one, after all Jackie Stewart got one for going shooting with the royals (sorry safety contributions), the real issue is the devaluation of such awards and the cronyism that surrounds them.
    I didn’t think the Royals chose the recipients?

Master
    Erm he will probably get one, does a racing driver deserve to be a knight of the realm, no
    Seem to be given to anyone who has a starring role in the sun newspaper nowadays .. not even the daily mail

It’s a great achievement but not worthy of a knighthood to my mind, I’m very much in the camp of I love his driving, hate his stupid comments and self righteous misinformed tweets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd agree with this

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I didn’t think the Royals chose the recipients?
    I think the choices (made by committees) are presented to the Queen for her final approval.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Just judging him on whether he deserves a knighthood based on his driving is controversial, I think it should be based on part talent/achievement but also what he does outside of the sport as in charities, awareness etc, this should apply to everyone in this position.

We need to remember that we only see the face on TV, quite often these people are doing huge amounts for others behind the scenes, yes it helps their reputation but still its a lot more than most.

I don't think he deserves a knighthood. At some point, yes, but not yet. Others have been waiting far longer in my humble opinion.

This said, If you looked at his accomplishments in F1 alone it's perhaps much harder to argue against it.

Craftsman
    Hope he turns it down if he’s given one. Make him more unpopular. Massive relationship between people who dislike him for taking a knee etc. and those who buy decorative plates featuring the queen/princess Diana out of the Daily Mail.

Surely the whole concept is exactly about cronyism?

If you judge it purely on achievement in sport, there seems little justification for NOT giving him a knighthood given others who have been granted one.

Living abroad to avoid taxes is hardly an impediment either.

Personally, I find him a strange character - Sometimes he comes over as an arse and others as a perfectly pleasant and reasonable chap - I'm sure most people do, but not with the same level of media grooming he's received since childhood.

You can't argue, though, with his ability to make the most of a good race car - He may or may not be the GOAT, but he certainly makes the most of his opportunities.

'Hero' is a hugely devalued word imo - Whether it be for sports people or most in the forces, it's far to easily bandied about when people are just doing their job.

For me one of the greatest heroes of recent years (eta it was 24 years ago! Where does time go?) was Lisa Potts, the nursery school teacher who defended her class against a machete wielding nutter - She didn't get a Damehood, but she deserved it far more than most (She did get the GM, so wasn't unacknowledged, at least)

Lest anyone think I have 'a downer' on the military, Johnson Beharry is most definitely a hero.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 3rd November 2020 at 12:17.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    And all the other Knights do?

Of course he should get a knighthood for his achievements. What he has achieved in F1 is incredible considering his background when compared to the typical background of an F1 driver. All these people who knock him and his tax affairs do so only out of envy.

Craftsman
    Andy Murray got one for being a serial underachiever.......

That sums up everything, when debating Hamilton.

Master
    Personally, I don’t agree with the honours system as I think it reeks of cronyism.

That said, I do think Hamilton has achieved more in his chosen sport than many who have been honoured in this way.

Was this thread deliberately created to upset forum member Reggie?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    Andy Murray got one for being a serial underachiever.......

That sums up everything, when debating Hamilton.

Serial underachiever? Winning Wimbledon three times and world's number one tennis player for a while?

The honours system is anachronistic and elitist and should be abolished along with the monarchy.

I would respect a BBC Sports Personality of the Year award over a knighthood any day of the week!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    The honours system is anachronistic and elitist and should be abolished along with the monarchy.

I would respect a BBC Sports Personality of the Year award over a knighthood any day of the week!
    The trouble with SPOTY is that, it is a BBC shortlist, chosen by a panel of BBC judges, of sports predominately covered by the BBC.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Serial underachiever? Winning Wimbledon three times and world's number one tennis player for a while?
    Just for clarity, Murray has won Wimbledon twice although one of his Olympic wins was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Erm he will probably get one, does a racing driver deserve to be a knight of the realm, no
    Seem to be given to anyone who has a starring role in the sun newspaper nowadays .. not even the daily mail

It’s a great achievement but not worthy of a knighthood to my mind, I’m very much in the camp of I love his driving, hate his stupid comments and self righteous misinformed tweets

Sir Jack Brabham, Sir Sterling Moss, Sir Jackie Stewart, Sir Patrick Head, Sir Frank Williams, might disagree.

Plus I don’t think people shouldn't over look his charitable work https://www.looktothestars.org/celebrity/lewis-hamilton, or that he made a sizeable personal donation to the Australian Wildfire Relief fund earlier in the year.

Finally whilst many people are angry and annoyed about his stance regarding BLM, he is using his profile (and that of F1/FIA) to make sure it remains a point of discussion. Whether it makes a difference remains to be seen however surely only halfwits and racists would think it’s a bad thing.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Sir Jack Brabham, Sir Sterling Moss, Sir Jackie Stewart, Sir Patrick Head, Sir Frank Williams, might disagree.

Plus I don’t think people shouldn't over look his charitable work https://www.looktothestars.org/celebrity/lewis-hamilton, or that he made a sizeable personal donation to the Australian Wildfire Relief fund earlier in the year.

Finally whilst many people are angry and annoyed about his stance regarding BLM, he is using his profile (and that of F1/FIA) to make sure it remains a point of discussion. Whether it makes a difference remains to be seen however surely only halfwits and racists would think it’s a bad thing.
    Although nice of him to donate and I support him using his platform to stand up for BLM it is quite easy to donate when you don't pay any tax. If I could lessen my tax in similar ways I could then be in a place to throw £10k into the forum fundraiser and be a hero. I'd still have more in my pocket and be the bigger beneficiary.

The jet tax arrangement was particularly slimy when it came out in the paradise papers scam.

"Lewis Hamilton avoided taxes on £16.5m jet using Isle of Man scheme | News | The Guardian" https://www.theguardian.com/news/201...aradise-papers

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Stirling...

M

Master
    Why ever not, he's the most successful F1 driver ever, there have been hundreds of less deserving recipients for sure.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    Why ever not, he's the most successful F1 driver ever, there have been hundreds of less deserving recipients for sure.

This ^^

Putting whatever prejudices, envy, concerns for his tax situation aside, LH is unarguably the most successful Formula 1 driver ever. He's a few points away from a record-equalling 7th Driver's World Title, and has broken pretty much every other record of note in the process.
    On top of his game for nearly 15 years now, and no real signs of that stopping any time soon.

Personally, I would wait until he's retired from the sport though.

Whether you are a KOTR or any other person in a similar position, if we all could have accounts offshore to reduce our tax then I'm sure we would all take advantage, its not about diddling the system its using what's there to your benefit.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Yes.

He's not a great tennis player & got knighted for underachieving.
    One may argue that his performance is far head of any modern day British tennis player & is on the masters list is top 5. (Only 2x Wimbledon Titles)

Let's look at what goes against him.

8 final loses.
    Not in the top 10 Open Era.
    Not the in top 3 British players of all time.

Is that knighthood worthy while still playing?

If you look at Hamilton's record now.......

On sporting merit only one should enter the conversation.

If indeed sportsmen deserve knighthoods then Bobby Moore the great captain of England when they won the World Cup should have got a K.

You'll never see England win a Football World Cup again.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinese_Alan View Post
    Hope he turns it down if he’s given one. Make him more unpopular. Massive relationship between people who dislike him for taking a knee etc. and those who buy decorative plates featuring the queen/princess Diana out of the Daily Mail.
    What a load of tosh.

Craftsman
    Yes he absolutely deserves one, Stirling Moss got knighted for services to motor racing despite not winning a world championship as did Jackie Stewart the latter also didn't pay UK tax.

No UK driver has every achieved more in motor racing but John Surtees didn't receive a knighthood either despite being well deserved.

His public persona comes across as unlikable though and that might stop him, certainly allows people to justify their prejudice.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    This ^^

Putting whatever prejudices, envy, concerns for his tax situation aside, LH is unarguably the most successful Formula 1 driver ever. He's a few points away from a record-equalling 7th Driver's World Title, and has broken pretty much every other record of note in the process.
    On top of his game for nearly 15 years now, and no real signs of that stopping any time soon.

Personally, I would wait until he's retired from the sport though.
    Maybe so but given he has the best car by far he’’ll win for ever and break many records. Perhaps it’s the designer that should get a gong. It’s a bit like Jonny Rea winning the world super bikes way out in front till Ducati was a threat then Kawasaki getting the competition neutered.

Yes he’s a world beater but he’s only a driver, soldiers are only soldiers, nurses are only nurses but the common thing is there all just doing there job at the end of the day. It shouldn’t come with the expectations of a knighthood.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Chinese_Alan View Post
    Wasnt aware the Daily Mail sold those, do you have a link? Franklin mint are out of stock.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Wasnt aware the Daily Mail sold those, do you have a link? Franklin mint are out of stock.
    Have you checked SC?

M

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    That is the system, those morons Ant and Dec make more than a room full of top military or top surgeons put together
    But that room full of top military personnel and surgeons knew, well before they embarked on their career path, that the top entertainers were higher paid. And made their choice regardless. What's your point?