closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex OP waiting time?

Rolex OP waiting time?

I've been browsing and found a Rolex I do like a lot. I've always liked the look of the Explorer I, but the new Oyster Perpetual 36 (126000) with blue dial has got me seriously considering it. I can see that retail on these is ''only'' £4450, but 2nd hand the price is quite a bit different. Do you guys know what sort of waiting time would I be looking at? If I get this watch, it'd be for my birthday next year. I know Rolex is funny with the ''waiting lists'' etc. but this model is the cheapest and maybe not as desired?
    It's either this or the Tudor BB36...
    Talk me out of it maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    I've been browsing and found a Rolex I do like a lot. I've always liked the look of the Explorer I, but the new Oyster Perpetual 36 (126000) with blue dial has got me seriously considering it. I can see that retail on these is ''only'' £4450, but 2nd hand the price is quite a bit different. Do you guys know what sort of waiting time would I be looking at? If I get this watch, it'd be for my birthday next year. I know Rolex is funny with the ''waiting lists'' etc. but this model is the cheapest and maybe not as desired?
    Talk me out of it maybe?
    Have you considered a pre-owned 116000 with 369 dial if you like the Explorer look.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Have you considered a pre-owned 116000 with 369 dial if you like the Explorer look.
    Yes, I have indeed and decided to go for the clean look of the OP. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Long waiting list apparently- to quote my local AD on Friday, the list is ‘as long as your arm’

Master
    With watch shops closing from Thursday onwards I wonder if like last lock down things suddenly become more available

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    With watch shops closing from Thursday onwards I wonder if like last lock down things suddenly become more available

Yeah, I am not in a position to buy at the moment. My birthday is at the end of July, so good few months still...

Talk me out of it maybe?
    A mate of mine has the new OP36 blue dial.

Has had it since the beginning of October. IIRC he initially asked the AD about one a couple of weeks after they were launched.

Master
    Was chatting with our local AD last weekend. Their list for the new OP is running to three years long based on the expected store allocation from Rolex.

Three years for an OP! Crazy times...

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    Was chatting with our local AD last weekend. Their list for the new OP is running to three years long based on the expected store allocation from Rolex.

This sounds crazy.

Master
    This sounds crazy.

I know! Apparently the coral and green are the most popular. He also said that 2020 was shaping up to be their best year sales wise since 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    I know! Apparently the coral and green are the most popular. He also said that 2020 was shaping up to be their best year sales wise since 2006.

I have enquired about it at my local dealer, will see.

I can’t understand how this could be good business for Rolex. Will not most normal people buy another brand over waiting 3 years for a watch? Also will this madness really survive the worst economical downturn in our lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post
    I can’t understand how this could be good business for Rolex. Will not most normal people buy another brand over waiting 3 years for a watch? Also will this madness really survive the worst economical downturn in our lifetime.
    Yes, or another available watch within the Rolex range.
    It's just a matter of time...

Rolex OP waiting time?

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Yes, or another available watch within the Rolex range.
    So, you want to buy a Rolex at RRP? No problem. You just don’t get to choose, you buy what’s there hehe. Great business model!

Anyway, that 3 years wait sounds like a bit of extreme situation. Maybe the AD doesn’t have what people want and trying to make it seem more exclusive? I don’t know...

I’ve enquired locally, will report back.

Whether it's a baffling waiting list or an absurd grey dealer price, you're always bending over with Rolex.
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 1st November 2020 at 22:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Whether it's a baffling waiting list, or an absurd grey dealer price, you're always bending over with Rolex.
    Quite an expensive prostate tickle.

Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post
    People lap it up.
    Some may get fed up and buy another brand, but Rolex are fine with that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Long waiting list apparently- to quote my local AD on Friday, the list is ‘as long as your arm’
    The typical TZUKer is somewhat dysmorphic if SC items are anything to go off, so I’m not sure they have very long arms. They do have small feet and wide waists. Perhaps he should have said ‘as wide as your waist’.

Blog Entries
    Few weeks back the assistant in my local AD said the new OP models had all gone straight onto lists. She said they could basically sell them the same day as they got them in.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tucola View Post
    Three years for an OP! Crazy times...
    This sounds crazy.
    It’s complete madness.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Few weeks back the assistant in my local AD said the new OP models had all gone straight onto lists. She said they could basically sell them the same day as they got them in.
    If you took out the flippers, you could probably have one tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post

If you took out the flippers, you could probably have one tomorrow.
    Sadly the case for all the popular sports models as well. While I was at the AD collecting a watch there were 2 people came in wanting to put their names down for the new Submariner, one of whom wanted the Rolex 'Submarine'! Neither had been a customer at the shop before and seemed to have little knowledge of Rolex or watches in general from what they told the assistant.

Rolex OP waiting time?

Just got a reply from an AD, first part of the email is a whole history of the OP model/case. Great, but whatever. Then he says that the supply is very limited and if I would like to come and discuss my options. Do they want to see if I look the part? I replied asking for a clear statement as to how long the wait would be as if it’s over 1 year I’d rather not waste their time.

Craftsman
    I don't get these huge lists that people quote.
    Yes maybe for these green ones that people lust for but ive bought two from my local dealer . The first was your normal standard date sub which was about a 6 to 8 month wait then I asked to be put on the list for a Seadweller . I would say that was about ……..10 months ish.

Im not the biggest buyer from them . In between I bought the good lady an Omega and maybe ive just got lucky with the above two watches and they don't have the biggest wait lists ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ptjoe View Post
    The first was your normal standard date sub which was about a 6 to 8 month wait then I asked to be put on the list for a Seadweller . I would say that was about ……..10 months ish.

Im not the biggest buyer from them . In between I bought the good lady an Omega and maybe ive just got lucky with the above two watches and they don't have the biggest wait lists ?

People wouldn't say there were big lists and long waits if there weren't! You (and occasional other posters) seem to have dropped very lucky indeed. I've bought various from "my" AD over the years and I can't get near any professional models these days.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ptjoe View Post
    Yes maybe for these green ones that people lust for but ive bought two from my local dealer . The first was your normal standard date sub which was about a 6 to 8 month wait then I asked to be put on the list for a Seadweller . I would say that was about ……..10 months ish.

How long ago were your purchases? I get the impression that waiting times have increased significantly recently.

Blog Entries
    Just got a reply from an AD, first part of the email is a whole history of the OP model/case. Great, but whatever. Then he says that the supply is very limited and if I would like to come and discuss my options. Do they want to see if I look the part? I replied asking for a clear statement as to how long the wait would be as if it’s over 1 year I’d rather not waste their time.

Do you expect an AD to be impressed by someone dropping them an email? Have you ever been to the shop and bought anything?
    Flippers will be phoning and emailing ADs all over the country to try and get any models selling over list in the aftermarket. Your email will just be among them.

They likely want to assess how good a customer you are currently and what your future purchases may look like. Will you be a one watch wonder or a good spender moving forward. They’ll likely want to know why you want that piece etc.

Rolex ADs have more demand than supply so basically they’re trying to work out if you’re “worthy”

Rolex OP waiting time?

Do you expect an AD to be impressed by someone dropping them an email? Have you ever been to the shop and bought anything?
    Flippers will be phoning and emailing ADs all over the country to try and get any models selling over list in the aftermarket. Your email will just be among them.
    I just don’t feel the need to impress someone so they can take my money. I think I was pretty clear in my email. I don’t see why they wouldn’t be able to tell me how long the wait is if there really is one. If it’s merely a way of weeding out the flippers - fair enough. But if it weeds out genuine potential customers then clearly it’s flawed. We’ll see what they say.

And yes @nairn1980, I only want that one watch, have no interest in building a “relationship with AD” and I certainly won’t be looking to spend a lot of money on Rolex in the future.
    Maybe in the end they’re not for me.

I just don’t feel the need to impress someone so they can take my money. I think I was pretty clear in my email. I don’t see why they wouldn’t be able to tell me how long the wait is if there really is one. If it’s merely a way of weeding out the flippers - fair enough. But if it weeds out genuine potential customers then clearly it’s flawed. We’ll see what they say.

And yes @nairn1980, I only want that one watch, have no interest in building a “relationship with AD” and I certainly won’t be looking to spend a lot of money on Rolex in the future.

Go grey then. I have a decent spend with the AD and even they wouldn't put me down for the new LV without me going into store to register my interest in person.

This is the new normal. An email or a phone call won't work 99% of the time so best to pop in and show them you're genuine or get on the phone to a grey dealer and pay the market price.

Master
    Agree with above. If it is a one watch purchase paying the 1k or so premium is not a bad option at all. Although many of us may be against that on moral grounds!

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Agree with above. If it is a one watch purchase paying the 1k or so premium is not a bad option at all. Although many of us may be against that on moral grounds!
    Yes, exactly. No way I’d be doing that.

From all those stories and experiences it certainly seems like owning a Rolex is equal to being a member of some bourgeoisie club that you get a t-shirt and a baseball cap when you join. And as much as like t-shirts and caps, I won’t be interested to pay premium.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Go grey then. I have a decent spend with the AD and even they wouldn't put me down for the new LV without me going into store to register my interest in person.

This is the new normal. An email or a phone call won't work 99% of the time so best to pop in and show them you're genuine or get on the phone to a grey dealer and pay the market price.
    I would go and have a chat but there’s almost a lockdown in place, so that makes it slightly more difficult.

Master
    I think I was pretty clear in my email. I don’t see why they wouldn’t be able to tell me how long the wait is if there really is one.
    “The list” isn’t a chronological one; it’s the names of people who have ‘expressed an interest’. I was actually told I was first on the “the list” at my AD for one of the new models 2 - maybe 3 - years ago. Heard **** all since. And that’s someone who has bought from them before. Bigger spenders are getting priority. I don’t like it but I can understand why they would do it.

Blog Entries

I think you were pretty clear in your email too. Basically as most people know they can sell these models any day of the week and have people waiting to buy them. So how do you think they will view your "I replied asking for a clear statement as to how long the wait would be as if it’s over 1 year I’d rather not waste their time." email? Put it this way if it's a choice of selling the watch to you, or a customer who regularly buys from them, who do you think will get it?
    You can walk away and never buy a Rolex and they won't care less. Perhaps you don't really want one.

Put it this way if it's a choice of selling the watch to you, or a customer who regularly buys from them, who do you think will get it?
    It’s not like I want any of the Submarin(er)s ;-) or GMTs...

If I don’t get a reply, I might call them and say that I just want that one watch, for my birthday and that’s it. I won’t buy anymore in the future and if they can’t help me then I’ll know I don’t want a Rolex. I think it’s as simple as that.

If I don’t get a reply, I might call them and say that I just want that one watch, for my birthday and that’s it. I won’t buy anymore in the future and if they can’t help me then I’ll know I don’t want a Rolex. I think it’s as simple as that.

I’m sure if they get one in with no existing customers wanting it, they’d give you a call.

Blog Entries

I would go to the shop. Speak to them in person, and tell them what you want and why. If they think you're genuine you might find they are more helpful. Ringing up or emailing is just a waste of time, you won't even get on a list of any description.

I would go to the shop. Speak to them in person, and tell them what you want and why. If they think you're genuine you might find they are more helpful. Ringing up or emailing is just a waste of time, you won't even get on a list of any description.
    I will do.

Just had a chat with the AD rep. I will go and have a look at some watches after the lockdown and go from there. He didn’t seem to think the waiting list is overly long for the OP. He did mention that they have some people waiting for a Daytona and that’s in 10-20 years wait. Seems insane!

Master
    He did mention that they have some people waiting for a Daytona and that’s in 10-20 years wait. Seems insane!
    It is but as soon as your day comes, you can flip for £10,000 profit so quite a good return on (zero) investment!

Rolex OP waiting time?

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    It is but as soon as your day comes, you can flip for £10,000 profit so quite a good return on (zero) investment!
    I’ll make sure I’ put myself down then! ;-)

Anyone got one of these yet? Need to make a decision on colour by Monday. Coral is ruled out already.

My nephew recently got a blue dial model for his birthday. It’s a nice watch but the 36mm model wears smaller than the previous model due to the slimmer lugs.

I have the 41mm yellow and love it. It has probably had the most wrist time of any of my watches since I got it. I’m still waiting on a 36mm green and 31mm starburst pink though.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Anyone got one of these yet? Need to make a decision on colour by Monday. Coral is ruled out already.
    Would be the coral or the yellow for me but it depends what you have in the collection. I haven't seen any in person btw.

Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post
    I have the 41mm yellow and love it. It has probably had the most wrist time of any of my watches since I got it. I’m still waiting on a 36mm green and 31mm starburst pink though.
    I was going to get the 34 mm starburst pink for my mother (my local AD had one available when I was last there, but didn't like it as it looked rather dull under natural light somehow), very nicely built watches nevertheless!

If I was in the market for one, it'd 100% be the tiffany blue. I think that one is gorgeous personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Ah, now I see why you ruled out the Coral.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 5th March 2021 at 23:46.

Fantastic Wiley!