closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Christopher Ward New C65 Chronograph

Christopher Ward New C65 Chronograph

I like the look of this and the size is spot on I think.

It has the Sellita SW510 BH in it. Look's great in the leather straps

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

£1700 though. A tad on the eye watering side for CW imho

Nice watch though

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    £1700 though. A tad on the eye watering side for CW imho

Nice watch though

But come on... the headline price for CW is not the actual price... (well unless you are mad).

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    But come on... the headline price for CW is not the actual price... (well unless you are mad).
    True but I think the price for that ought to be just north of 1k and even used I doubt you’ll bag one for that

Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    I like the look of this and the size is spot on I think.

It has the Sellita SW510 BH in it. Look's great in the leather straps

Looks ok, but for £1800 I'd much rather spend a couple of hundred more and buy a Tudor Heritage Chrono rather than have the replica that CW have just knocked up.

Kind of reminds me of Rotarys approach by making a chavitimer, which would be fine but CW are selling this at far more of a percentage of the real thing.
    Last edited by Christian; 1st November 2020 at 11:33.

Master
    I have had several cw watches, but I would not pay more than 70 percent of their retail price. I’m pleased that the name is back where it should be. I guess it’s closest competitor is perhaps the new pinion or farer chrono

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    CW's last couple of releases have been great (C65 compressor). Really liking the colourful subdial, giving it a retro look. Price point is higher than I'd hoped, maybe something to keep an eye on with Black Friday coming up

Master
    A brand that I would never buy but this is nice and there are a few other models I really like. A lot of owners seem to be happy with theirs, so if you can get them at the right price....

Master
    They have been running a 15 percent everything recently so I would imagine they will a have a similar or better offering for Black Friday

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Looks ok, but for £1800 I'd much rather spend a couple of hundred more and buy a Tudor Heritage Chrono rather than have the replica that CW have just knocked up.

Kind of reminds me of Rotarys approach by making a chavitimer, which would be fine but CW are selling this at far more of a percentage of the real thing.
    The Tudor heritage chronograph is £3390

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    The Tudor heritage chronograph is £3390
    Yes, but at the moment that CW will be £1800 with only one option, buy new. The last two SC ads for the Tudor have been listed at £1950 and £2100 and I’ve seen it in shop windows this year for £2300 on sale. I know which option I’d be going for.

At £1800, even if you could haggle a couple of hundred pounds discount, that CW (a) looks like a Tudor replica and (b) doesn’t represent great value for money.

Does remind me though, ever since the first Tudor Heritage Chrono came out in about 2010, I’ve been meaning to try one and never got round to it!

It’s the nicest looking CW I think I’ve ever seen, though that’s a short list. At 20% off it would be fantastic value.

I agree with the above that the Farer Cobb and Tudor Heritage Chrono would be my preferred picks in the quirky colourful chronograph market. But the Tudor would cost a bit more even used and the Farer is unavailable.

Congrats to them, I might keep my eyes peeled for a used example down the line

Yes, but at the moment that CW will be £1800 with only one option, buy new. The last two SC ads for the Tudor have been listed at £1950 and £2100 and I’ve seen it in shop windows this year for £2300 on sale. I know which option I’d be going for.

At £1800, even if you could haggle a couple of hundred pounds discount, that CW (a) looks like a Tudor replica and (b) doesn’t represent great value for money.
    I understand your point but I think its rather unfair to not compare retail price to retail price. CW have regular sales and there is a fair chance that it could be bought for 15% off in the near future likewise they have a near new sales that drop the price to anything up to 30% I have no doubt that give it a while you could find this second hand at just over a grand the Tudor has been out for a while and doesnt seem an overly popular watch which probably explains the massive knock down in price, that and (IMO) its totally out of proportion for its design and is a rather ugly reissue.

Personally I thought CW had taken the design idea from the Farer chronograph much more than Tudor. Either way both Farer and CW are basing their designs on a vintage chronograph style you could probably find for about £500 on ebay

At £1800.00 yes it's a bit overpriced but there is always the £100.00 discount so I guess £1700.00 isn't bad but even so I would wait for a second hand one at a more reasonable price.
    £1800 for the Stainless Steel version £1700 for the leather but as said take £100 of either with the forever £100 off voucher.

a) looks like a Tudor replica.
    I’ve looked at both photographs side by side and can spot a couple of similarities, like both have hands, a dial and date window at six but replica? If that is the definition of replica then I challenge anyone on this forum to reveal a piece in their ownership that isn’t a replica.

Other than similar colours I'd agree.
    Still think it look's nice in it's own right.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect View Post
    I’ve looked at both photographs side by side and can spot a couple of similarities, like both have hands, a dial and date window at six but replica? If that is the definition of replica then I challenge anyone on this forum to reveal a piece in their ownership that isn’t a replica.

Craftsman
    This is a beautiful, if somewhat expensive watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    One of CW's best looking watches ever! However, the logo typeface looks wrong, though even appear to have centred the lettering this time! Absolutely stupid price though.

Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect View Post
    I must admit I immediately thought of the Tudor chrono the second I saw the picture

Master
    Bezel is too thin and too busy with the combination of the dial and bezel. As a chronograph fan that has too much going on with it.

Master
    I like it!
    Surely 1700 is not a crazy price for a sellita based watch by an established brand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just think when you can pick up a secondhand Tudor Heritage for little more than this, it’s crazy to go for this. Thinking of other sports watches...this is the same price as a secondhand Omega 2254 or countless new Longines models. I just don’t think it’s great value for money.

But then that’s just my personal opinion as a WIS and if you really like that exact CW model I respect other people have different tastes and perceptions of value.

Master
    I can't really see the resemblance to the Tudor, dial colour? nope. Bezel? Nope. Subdial colour? nope. Case shape? nope. Subdial hands? nope.
    The ONLY similarity I can see is the center seconds hand. So comparing a new £1800 watch to a new £3k+ watch is a bit disingenuous.
    That said - I wouldn't buy this either as the general point that there are better alternatives out there both new and pre-owned however if the aesthetics are what you are after then this is probably a decent enough watch once discounts and offers have been applied.

There is a passing resemblance and hardly a replica.
    Dare I say, the CW actually looks better and more balanced.
    Tudor apart from the ties with Rolex is hardly an exceptional watch with an ETA 2836 with a DD module- a movement often described as being ugly. And you are comparing price of a new undiscounted CW with a preowned Tudor.
    Somewhat disingenuous all round. Tudor Heritage Chrono is a nice watch but hardly the best Tudor reissue ever.
    Comparison to Rotary is frankly something that doesn’t even merit a comment.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 2nd November 2020 at 11:07.

Master

Much prefer the look of the CW.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    There is a passing resemblance and hardly a replica.
    Dare I say, the CW actually looks better and more balanced.
    Tudor apart from the ties with Rolex is hardly an exceptional watch with an ETA 2836 with a DD module- a movement often described as being ugly. And you are comparing price of a new undiscounted CW with a preowned Tudor.
    Somewhat disingenuous all round. Tudor Heritage Chrono is a nice watch but hardly the best Tudor reissue ever.
    Comparison to Rotary is frankly something that doesn’t even merit a comment.
    ETA 2892 I think and DD 2054 module

Not sure I’d agree to it’s status as the best reissue. I’d say that it’s as close to an iconic overall design as Tudor has in its back catalog. The original square indice submariner with snowflakes you could argue, but for a watch that is unmistakable with only a glance I think the heritage chrono is right up there. Re the Cw it’s a nice watch but I find the design weird. It’s a chrono but then I don’t see why the tachymeter is on the dial - it makes it very busy looking and a real strain to read. The bezel is odd too - not sure why it’s a 0-60 really. Surely tachymeter on the bezel would be better on a chrono?

I think it has ‘taken inspiration from’ the Tudor - or perhaps more accurately from watches of that era INCLUDING the Tudor, but I think it is individual enough to stand on its own. Leaving cost aside I still think the Tudor is a much better aesthetic overall
    Last edited by RustyBin5; 2nd November 2020 at 18:50.

I like it.

CW's designs have been iffy in the past, but this is a good one (as was the recent Super Compressor release, weirdly-aligned dial text aside).

Nonsensical to compare the new RRP of this with the second-hand pricing of anything else - at least judge on a like-for-like pricing basis for a valid comparison. The CW will almost certainly be considerably cheaper second-hand, probably just over £1k.

Apart from the Chrono Seconds hand, I don't see any overt similarities with the Tudor either. Yes, it's blue, but so are a great many watches.

Loose Valjoux 7750 movements alone cost circa £200 apiece (depending upon buying scale, of course), so it's hard to think of too many competitors offering models with a 7750 / 7750-derived movement for less. Farer, Sinn etc. are similarly deal-direct to consumer and their 7750-based Chronographs are priced on a par with the CW, suggesting they haven't got it too wrong (whether I'd pick the CW over them is another matter).

I'd also take an integrated 7750-derived movement any day over a DD module piggybacking on a three-hander (like the Tudor) - easier serviced, aligned pushers & crown, mechanically superior, better to look at etc.

I also like the added functionality of the Tachymeter & Timing Bezel.

CW's 'light-catcher' cases look high quality, and their ratchet micro-adjust clasp is useful. Add in the 5-year warranty & inevitable discount too.
    Last edited by Stringer; 2nd November 2020 at 17:39.

I haven’t previously done this but I recently picked up a C65 chrono and thought I’d write a review for those who might still be interested in it, apologies as it runs a little long, and I'm no photographer!

How I came to buy one:
    A few weeks ago, a Farer Cobb came up for auction on eBay. I have wanted one of these for ages and had grown tired of black dial sports watches recently so I decided to sell my DC56 to clear some funds (props to EarlofSodbury). I chatted to the eBay seller, it all seemed legit, then 2 days before the auction was due to end, the listing was pulled. So I found myself with cash in hand, no Damasko and no Cobb. I then remembered the C65 chrono and as it happened, there was one for sale in mint condition for a good price, so I jumped on it.

First impressions:
    The fit and machining of the watch are excellent. I don’t play in the big leagues so my perspective is skewed by my prior experience but there is a refinement to this watch which I haven’t seen in any watches at an equivalent price.

Case and crystal:
    This is probably one of the highlights. It wears surprisingly slim for an SW510 chrono. The mixture of brushed and polished surfaces, the doming of the case back and arching of the lugs work together extremely well. I presume that this is a version of the ‘lightcatcher case’ and I just can’t believe it’s 15mm thick. There’s something about the profile that reminds me of Seiko divers (in the best way possible). It’s 41mm in diameter but a combination of the slim aluminium bezel insert and internal tachymeter also work to shrink the watch’s appearanceFrom the front. The boxed sapphire crystal suits the vintage aesthetic of the watch and this is matched my the slim bezel, which has a very precise action. I would have preferred the lugwidth at 20mm, but 22 isn’t a deal breaker. Equally, I think a solid case back is better suited to this kind of watch and would have made it slimmer but I suppose not everyone agrees. lastly, I thought screw down pushers would be a pain but in the real world, they don’t bother me in the slightest and I find unscrewing them before using the chronograph, quite fun.

Dials and hands:
    There’s a lot going on but it’s well balanced. The use of colour is absolutely fantastic. The blue is well judged, not radiant and electric but also not too dark. The regata timer-style chrono subdial has a welcome flash of colour for 5 and 10 minutes and the orange of the chronograph hands contrasts nicely with the main dial colours to make it very legible. The time keeping hands are differentiated by being polished steel. There are polished hour markers, a white tachymeter scale and a red on white date wheel. Again, on paper it sounds like a lot but it’ all comes together harmoniously. Further, the presence of the tachymeter shrinks the dial and the overall footprint of the watch, There are lume plots on the hour markers and some on the hands though it’s all pretty hopeless. Text on the dial is printed and kept to a minimum. I like that they haven’t used the very modern and abstract CW logo, and opted for text instead

Movement:
    It’s a 7753 clone. It looks better in a watch with a solid case back but it’s a great movement. My only reservation with these is their thickness and as above, it’s handled well, here.

Bracelet and strap:
    My example was sold with a three-link oyster-style bracelet and tropic style rubber strap.
    The strap is gloriously soft and comfortable, it’s a real treat, but... the hue of blue on the strap clashes with the blue of the watch and there’s little to no taper so it’s not a great match.
    The bracelet is excellent too. Brushed throughout and very solid, with no wobble, it exudes an old school tool watch vibe. I would have liked a bit more taper but it’s not the end of the world. There is an innovative quick release spring bar design on the bracelet but truth be told, I didn’t find it that easy to operate with short nails. The clasp has some bevelled edges which are well machined and an on-the-fly micro-adjust system which works well. The naff Christopher Ward logo is stamped on the clasp which is a shame.

Overall
    I’m really pleased with the watch. I had some pre-existing reservations about the brand but I’m glad to have been proven wrong. I love how colourful and well-executed it is. The only thing I would change is the lug width and the lacklustre lume. I don’t regret selling the DC56 for this, which I think speaks volumes, given what an excellent watch that is. Equally, if a Cobb came up for sale now, I wouldn’t trade the C65 chrono for it. A vintage-inspired, fun, summery chronograph to welcome in the warmer months: perfect!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    Much prefer the look of the CW.
    Me too.

^^^^ Idontgram - thanks for your excellent review. I've also avoided CW for similar reasons however recently bought my first in their sale; the brown dial compressor. I have to admit to being mightily impressed with everything about the watch; they're certainly a step up from my usual Seiko / Timefactors pieces. For example, if I were going to spend £1k on a watch it would most likely be the dark blue dial compressor on the bracelet.

Master
    this is the same price as a secondhand Omega 2254 or countless new Longines models.
    I’ve owned Longines and CW watches. And while my Longines was excellent, the CW had (slightly) higher build quality.

I can’t comment on older CWs. But the latest models’ case quality and finishing are superb. However, it isn’t something you can discern from photos online - you need to handle the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    ^^^^ Idontgram - thanks for your excellent review. I've also avoided CW for similar reasons however recently bought my first in their sale; the brown dial compressor. I have to admit to being mightily impressed with everything about the watch; they're certainly a step up from my usual Seiko / Timefactors pieces. For example, if I were going to spend £1k on a watch it would most likely be the dark blue dial compressor on the bracelet.
    Thanks!

Yup, I’m with you. I’m definitely keeping a closer eye on the brand in the future. I’m not a fan of cushion cases but those super compressors look very good and I really like the latest colour design.

Lovely watch and a great write up, thanks. CW certainly have moved up a step in my eyes (Super Compressor owner here).

Craftsman
    Nice writeup.
    I think CW have nailed it with their case design. I think they have one of the best side profiles around and the detailing on the caseback is excellent. I agree regarding the solid caseback though. I wish manufacturers using standard movements would move away from this, or offer solid backs as a cheaper & thinner option.

Lovely looking watch and write up. Refreshing to see one without the Maserati seconds hand which is what has put me off them in the past. Hopefully they can branch out.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Quality Man View Post
    CW certainly have moved up a step in my eyes (Super Compressor owner here).
    I agree: CW has stepped up significantly in quality, and I have warmed to them (enough to buy one).

Incidentally, I like the Maserati seconds hand and exhibition caseback. But it would be boring if we all liked the same designs.

I guess you can see anything if you want to...

Aside from a bit of blue and two chrono dials, I'm not seeing that as a 'replica'.

I think the Tudor's dial is a bit of a mess with that weird beige section...

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I'm liking the CW & that is coming from an owner of a Tudor Heritage Chrono Grey Dial.

Sorry but I can't agree with you. The CW is not a replica of the Tudor. I can't see it as a replica of anything at present. Both watches are totally different!

I own a CW at present. I've also owned two Tudor Heritage Chronographs over the last several years. I am pretty confident that the CW will be as well built as the Tudor. I am also confident that the bezel won't fall off in my hand, or a pusher will come loose, unlike the Tudor. In fact, I'd rather have the Sellita SW510 to the piggyback movement in the Tudor.

Apprentice
    I'm also a fan and collector of vintage watches and have a fair amount of blue ones. It's hard to get that color right and, imo, they did a good job here. I'm not into very flashy watches and was unsure if I'd like this in the flesh. But their retail price has come down, and with the last Black Friday discount I took a chance. It's a beautiful watch with well done colors. Not too flashy. While the thin bezel looks good aesthetically, it's not the easiest to grip so I'd prefer it a bit thicker. Great case though and unlike any other, which is a feat. I actually like the display back. One reason is just to be able to examine it. I had a new Chronoswiss chrono that stopped working and I could see that a screw had fallen out through the back. A lot of thought went into designing this watch. It's a keeper and I'm now on the lookout for a used dark blue CW Super Compressor.

Still, as much as I like blue watches, with this one I would've preferred a black dial with otherwise the same remaining features and colors, including the blue/red regatta register, red date, and orange chrono seconds hand.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    I own a CW at present. I've also owned two Tudor Heritage Chronographs over the last several years. I am pretty confident that the CW will be as well built as the Tudor. I am also confident that the bezel won't fall off in my hand, or a pusher will come loose, unlike the Tudor.
    I gather CW and Tudor use the same watchcase supplier.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    I gather CW and Tudor use the same watchcase supplier.
    I very much doubt it but you could ask CW.

Apprentice
    The cases are markedly different, including the dimensions. I would insert images but it seems only tiny files are allowed.

Master
    Recently handled one of these and they are very well made and finished. Great size and thickness considering it's a chrono and a bargain if you find one second hand.