closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Submariner buying advice

Master

Submariner buying advice

A good friend of mine will soon be 50 and has decided he wants to mark the occasion by buying a quality watch. He has done some research and decided that a Rolex would fit the bill nicely. He’s spent a fair bit of time pondering whether he wants a date or non-date Sub and has opted for the former. He’s been looking on the Watchfinder website and has seen recent examples (2018 and 2019) for around £12500.

Been a long time since I owned a Rolex and I’ve no particular interest in them nowadays as they’re beyond my means. But I can see an unworn 2018 example for £10,500. I’m going to make him aware of this example but has anyone any recent experience of Pleasance and Harper? Given the amount of money involved here I don’t want to give him bad advice.

https://www.pleasanceandharper.co.uk...iner-116610ln/

Master
    Cant help feeling the watch you are looking for is top money , by at least £2k. Is it worth putting a WTB on here , Im sure you / your pal would pick up a good watch.

Blowers have a nice sub here

https://blowers-jewellers.co.uk/prod...te-116610ln-4/
    Last edited by higham5; 31st October 2020 at 22:48.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Cant help feeling the watch you are looking for is top money , by at least £2k. Is it worth putting a WTB on here , Im sure you / your pal would pick up a good watch.

You're out here re pricing. If it's out by at least £2k then it's at best an £8.5k watch. No dates have dealer offers of £8.5k so that cannot be right.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post

Is the reference wrong with this one? Wouldn’t a 2006 model be a 16610? I wouldn’t want to put up a WTB on behalf of my friend as I’d potentially be taking a desirable watch out of this community. He can afford the prices asked by Watchfinder and Pleasance and Harper but if he can save himself £2k or more then why not?

Heck, I bought a 16610 via SC, complete with box and papers, maybe 5 or 6 years ago for around or just under £3500.
    Last edited by seabiscuit; 31st October 2020 at 23:30.

Master
    That blowers watch is a 5 digit labelled as a 6 digit for some reason. Which explains the price.

Put him in touch with your AD for the new Sub Date? Much preferable I'd say at £7.3k. Not sure on likely wait times, but I'd hope less on the standard SD than some of the others.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Put him in touch with your AD for the new Sub Date? Much preferable I'd say at £7.3k. Not sure on likely wait times, but I'd hope less on the standard SD than some of the others.
    Cheers, I’ll run that by him. His interest in buying a new one has rekindled my interest in the 5 digit series. As well as a 16610, I also had a 14060M. I’d take those over the new references. But he think newer means better, which is fair enough when it’s his money involved.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Is the reference wrong with this one? Wouldn’t a 2006 model be a 16610? I wouldn’t want to put up a WTB on behalf of my friend as I’d potentially be taking a desirable watch out of this community. He can afford the prices asked by Watchfinder and Pleasance and Harper but if he can save himself £2k or more then why not?

Heck, I bought a 16610 via SC, complete with box and papers, maybe 5 or 6 years ago for around or just under £3500.
    Seabiscuit , you are correct , my error the Blowers watch is wrongly referenced. Good luck with the quest.

Steve

Master
    Your friend may be in a rush to buy and be able to pay grey prices, however I'd advise him to consider taking his time to either buy from an AD eventually or from SC. We see plenty of stories about how the wait and search is fun and not frustrating. If he thinks for a day and still wants to buy grey, fine.

Master
    Put him in touch with your AD for the new Sub Date?
    You would have to have a really good relationship with an AD to be able to shoehorn friends onto what will definitely a mile long list.

Not sure on likely wait times, but I'd hope less on the standard SD than some of the others.

As above, in the current climate I'd be amazed if someone with no AD history could get a Rolex Professional model any time soon. No harm in asking but ....

Hey David - you're probably right ! I (like to think I) have a good relationship with my AD (having bought 3 new steel sports Rolex from them in the past 12 months) and that I can could wangle a new SD for a friend within a reasonable period (say 6-9 months), but I could be well off the mark (only ever having bought for myself). Another route could be to carry out the transaction yourself on behalf of your friend (behind the scenes, if they didn't mind your name on the warranty), but then you're at risk of them moving it on without telling you (and you being black marked) - I guess it depends on the friendship. My logic is that the SD won't attract the same demand as the S(ND) or the OPs.

Master
    Hey David - you're probably right ! I (like to think I) have a good relationship with my AD (having bought 3 new steel sports Rolex from them in the past 12 months) and that I can could wangle a new SD for a friend within a reasonable period (say 6-9 months),
    Can't see you can lose by asking!

My logic is that the SD won't attract the same demand as the S(ND) or the OPs.
    eBay (asking) prices £12,500-13,500 vs list of £7,300. It's of course a new model which possibly increases demand (further).