closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Crown Unwinding

Journeyman

Crown Unwinding

Very much a newbie question here so would appreciate some advice.

Recently bought a speedy moonwatch and I’ve noticed in the last few days that when I’m winding it the crown winds back around a quarter of a turn (or possibly more) after I release it. I don’t think it did it before however there’s a reasonable chance it did and I just didn’t notice. It’s still working and keeping time fine so I’m hoping it’s fairly normal I was just hoping someone could confirm this and put my mind at ease that I haven’t broken it already.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely fine, you hadn't noticed prior & now you have.

Sent from my motorola one action using Tapatalk

Can’t say I’ve noticed mine do that...

Craftsman
    I have to also say I don't think mine does that either.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Master
    I’ve had hand winders that have and those that haven’t. Happy to be told I’m wrong but I believe both are acceptable.

Journeyman
    Hmmm, I’m not sure what to make of it really. I found a thread on watchuseek discussing the same thing and someone gave quite a detailed explanation about why it happens and that it’s not a problem however they also said it happens more as the watch gets older and the and the seal isn’t as tight. Mines only a couple of months old so I wouldn’t think that would come into play.

It's a couple of months old, you're not happy - take it back and tell the dealer.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    It's a couple of months old, you're not happy - take it back and tell the dealer.
    Yep, looks like that is the way forward. Just wanted to be sure I wasn’t making the journey for something silly. Thanks

Craftsman
    My speedmaster is 4 weeks old and does exactly the same thing. I'm also unsure if it is normal or not. It's exactly as you describe- each time you turn the crown it turns back on itself 1/4 to 1/2 a turn when you let go. I didn't know if it was because it was new?

If you’ve bought a new watch with a 5-year warranty and it’s winding and keeping good time, why are you obsessing over a crown turning back 1/4 of a turn...worrying about something you don’t even know is faulty...it’s not as if Omega say the crown shouldn’t have any backlash.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    If you’ve bought a new watch with a 5-year warranty and it’s winding and keeping good time, why are you obsessing over a crown turning back 1/4 of a turn...worrying about something you don’t even know is faulty...it’s not as if Omega say the crown shouldn’t have any backlash.
    Well I wouldn’t necessarily say I was obsessing over it but you’re right, I don’t know if it’s faulty or not, hence asking some folk far more experienced than I. I’ve got no idea whether Omega have said it should or shouldn’t have backlash but if it’s normal then great, I’ll carry on enjoying the watch as I was I was before

I have a week old one and it does it too. A google search seems to suggest this is normal so I’m not worried.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by bigputts View Post
    Well I wouldn’t necessarily say I was obsessing over it but you’re right, I don’t know if it’s faulty or not, hence asking some folk far more experienced than I. I’ve got no idea whether Omega have said it should or shouldn’t have backlash but if it’s normal then great, I’ll carry on enjoying the watch as I was I was before

Sorry, in your earlier post it sounded like you’d taken the advice to go back to the dealer to tell him you weren’t happy with a perfectly functioning watch.

Master
    It's fine, there's nothing wrong with your watch, just enjoy it.

If I recall correctly mine did this too....

Craftsman

Crown Unwinding

I have a number of watches that do this and I have seen posts about this issue before so I wouldn’t be worried. Having said that, it is an expensive purchase and if you have any doubts talk to the AD. That way you can put your mind at ease

Craftsman
    I tried and can notice a small amount of unwinding after every winding. Never noticed before, and watch has been working fine.

Craftsman
    My Speedy pro also does it. My JLC reverso did it. My IWC did it. I don’t think it’s an issue but if you want peace of mind then get it checked out.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app