closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting a Friday thread......

Master

Starting a Friday thread......

Controversial, because midnight in the UK starts (at present) in GMT. Anything before that is still Thursday. That’s a fact.
    However if a keen member living in a very different timezone, starts a thread fifteen minutes early, is that a good reason to undercut him by starting another ‘real’ thread a few minutes later? The Pacific member has made over five-thousand contributions, and international views are surely a good thing.
    Yes, he made a minor timekeeping error. But I can’t help feeling he was treated somewhat harshly. Or is that just me? Maybe it just doesn’t matter.

Agreed. It’s all a bit lame.

I’ll be content in the thought that I posted in the ‘unreal’ thread.

Agreed, just as I turned out the light last night at 23.50 I heard a TZ notification, I could feel my blood starting to boil knowing full well what it was about.

Raging response in my head ready to go before I even read it, yes I was right, some damn noob thinking he’s clever posting the Friday thread... oh hang on it’s good ol PC, with blood pressure dropping I turned out the light and looked forward to a decent sleep..

Yeah it's no biggie
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

I agree.
    Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things if a well respected overseas member starts a thread 14 minutes early on the first Friday after the UK clocks have changed??

We could use the same 'does it really matter' statement about most 'discussions' which take place on here though I guess...

I admit I was a bit keen in starting a ‘real’ Friday thread - we didn’t do a screen shot at the end of the vGTG as we didn’t want to ‘hog’ the Friday thread every two weeks. In my ‘semi-tired’ state I was annoyed someone had jumped the gun....it’s a Friday thread, not the Thursday thread!

In these crazy times it’s the stupid, petty, pedantic things that matter!

We all know PC is a good egg so apologies to him.

Maybe a new rule, a nominated member from the previous Friday thread starts the new one..

The "Friday" threads usually carry on until some time around Monday afternoon, anyway.

And some plum will resurrect a three month old Friday thread because they don't know what date it is, and didn't bother to check when the last post was submitted. Still, it's the internet...
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

This is making us look petty as f**k. This place already has a reputation amongst other watch forums for being petty and over the top. Could we just let it go? It isn't a huge issue.

I still don't know which thread to post in though?

I like Kirk280, but I also like PC, so which is best? There's only one way to find out …

PC used the American date system too in the thread title, which will surely lead to more confusion when we get to the 10th day of the 30th month?!?

Unforgivable.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I still don't know which thread to post in though?

I like Kirk280, but I also like PC, so which is best? There's only one way to find out …
    I think the only solution would be to start another one.
    ”The Ultimate 30/10/2020 Friday thread!”

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Maybe a new rule, a nominated member from the previous Friday thread starts the new one..
    How would that work, who will nominate him? Pick at random?

I like to be contrary so if me I’d start it at 23:59 on the Friday.

Back-up member to start it if not started by 00:05?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    This is making us look petty as f**k. This place already has a reputation amongst other watch forums for being petty and over the top. Could we just let it go? It isn't a huge issue.
    Interesting. I regard TZ as quite friendly and helpful. Nothing on it is a ‘huge issue’ because it’s just a hobby. Maybe it’s my imagination, but I think it has got more pleasant . Especially since the Draft Thread bit the dust. Although it’s sheer horribleness could be fascinating.
    As for the Friday thread. We could really screw things up by featuring different time zones every week.
    Last edited by paskinner; 30th October 2020 at 13:54.

I’d look at it another way. If a new member started a Friday thread early they’d be crucified. There would be all the normal members bashing them for it. In my eyes it’s simple the thread atm starts at 12gmt. Not when you want to start it to make sure you are first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    I’d look at it another way. If a new member started a Friday thread early they’d be crucified. There would be all the normal members bashing them for it. In my eyes it’s simple the thread atm starts at 12gmt. Not when you want to start it to make sure you are first.

Yup, but at least we will have this thread still around to remind people - when the "Friday Thread" starts lunchtime Thursday and lasts the weekend....................

The "Why the fuss?" brigade might start making a fuss - then.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Interesting. I regard TZ as quite friendly and helpful. Nothing on it is a ‘huge issue’ because it’s just a hobby. Maybe it’s my imagination, but I think it has got more pleasant . Especially since the Draft Thread bit the dust. Although it’s sheer horribleness could be fascinating.
    As for the Friday thread. We could really screw things up by featuring different time zones every week.
    I don't disagree with you, it's just the impression in other places. Go to any other watch forum, find a reference to TZUK and it'll invariably be uncomplimentary.

Master
    I don't disagree with you, it's just the impression in other places. Go to any other watch forum, find a reference to TZUK and it'll invariably be uncomplimentary.
    I think most of those are either dealers that have been outed or people with no sense of humour.

The solution-Abolish BST:-)

I find it disheartening that one's Friday socks and underwear get no celebration.

I've a solution, replace the Friday thread with a Thursday one!

Oh wait....

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    I find it disheartening that one's Friday socks and underwear get no celebration.
    If you build it they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    I admit I was a bit keen in starting a ‘real’ Friday thread - we didn’t do a screen shot at the end of the vGTG as we didn’t want to ‘hog’ the Friday thread every two weeks. In my ‘semi-tired’ state I was annoyed someone had jumped the gun....it’s a Friday thread, not the Thursday thread!

In these crazy times it’s the stupid, petty, pedantic things that matter!

We all know PC is a good egg so apologies to him.
    Good for you

Oh, probably worth mentioning that it’s also really annoying for everyone else caught up in the multithread fracas - decisions have to be made!
    Last edited by learningtofly; 30th October 2020 at 15:40.

It depends it there are defined rules on this (I've never seen any) and do they apply at both ends - for example, many stragglers post watch photos on the thread after 23:59 on Friday (I've been pedantic enough to point these out recently).

I couldn't really care less (I'm just pedantic and annoying by nature), as long as we don't get into the "let's start a look at my cute watch thread any day of the week" as done almost everywhere else.

Well...

The OP of the other thread is a good egg and valued contributor, and it is always a bit more complex if you live several time zones away from GMT

Going early isn’t a matter to get worked up about, although it often leads to two threads in parallel for a while, and this makes it awfully tricky to know where to post.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    If you build it they will come.

With an offer to buy probably.

Craftsman
    Believe it or not its actually Saturday here. Anyway Ive always been respectful of the fact that this is predominantly a UK site and I am way ahead of you guys here in Australia. I don't think about it when starting threads on what I would regard as more international sites such as Watchuseek. Anyway, whatever day it is, enjoy it and don't sweat on the small stuff.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by camb66 View Post
    Believe it or not its actually Saturday here. Anyway Ive always been respectful of the fact that this is predominantly a UK site and I am way ahead of you guys here in Australia. I don't think about it when starting threads on what I would regard as more international sites such as Watchuseek. Anyway, whatever day it is, enjoy it and don't sweat on the small stuff.

I was so tempted when I was in N.Z. this year.

lets support PC hence why I made a comment and posted in both threads.

Starting a thread early is not the end of the world
    5% of the male population has issues with being premature.
    The rest of us are not telling the truth or just don’t care...
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 31st October 2020 at 08:57.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have noticed people seem desperate to start the Friday thread.

I suspect some people set their alarm to try and get it. Nowt as strange as folk.

Blog Entries
    It's the 'Friday' thread.

Not the '10 minutes to Friday so it's close enough' thread. It's hardly rocket science is it, really?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Here's mine:

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post

Not the '10 minutes to Friday so it's close enough' thread. It's hardly rocket science is it, really?
    Tetchy...

[/thread]

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    The solution-Abolish BST:-)
    perfect solution

As long as we avoid the americanisms of the watch world, I’m happy. I came here to escape Timezone. I don’t want to see Speedmaster Tuesday, What You Wearing Wednesday, Wrist Rolls, pictures of you at the AD being presented with your watch purchase like it’s some kind of achievement award etc.

Show Me Your Balls?

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Show Me Your Balls?
    Different forum.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Tetchy...
    Not really just pointing out the facts.

Or we could end up with a ‘sometime near Friday’ thread which is just silly.

Or multiple Friday threads where you pick the person you like best and join their thread.

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    Well...

The OP of the other thread is a good egg and valued contributor, and it is always a bit more complex if you live several time zones away from GMT

Going early isn’t a matter to get worked up about, although it often leads to two threads in parallel for a while, and this makes it awfully tricky to know where to post.

Dave

This may be the only real reason most people have to own a GMT watch.

Blog Entries
    Do we care about what other places think? I stopped looking at WUS / Timezone / etc etc - do others really care what we do? Perhaps other watch forums may be a tad jealous?

Anyway this is getting all a bit metaphysic - a watch forum being discussed on a watch forum! Let talk watches.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Do we care about what other places think? I stopped looking at WUS / Timezone / etc etc - do others really care what we do? Perhaps other watch forums may be a tad jealous?

Anyway this is getting all a bit metaphysic - a watch forum being discussed on a watch forum! Let talk watches.
    Anyone who says they don't care what others think of them is a liar, we all moderate ourselves in daily life. Why that shouldn't continue online, I don't know.

What I do know is, if everyone else is a c**t, maybe you're the c**t.

Master
    Blog Entries
    is it the Friday in the UK thread or just the Friday thread?

asking for a Kiwi and a Digger.

Blog Entries
    Where does that come from? This isn't the bear pit. This is meant to be about watch talk

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    is it the Friday in the UK thread or just the Friday thread?

asking for a Kiwi and a Digger.
    It's the Friday in the UK thread. When I was living in Colombia I tried to make the case for it being okay if it was Friday where you currently were, but got shot down in flames.

People don't seem so bothered about any old random date on display though. To my mind the photograph should be taken on the Friday of posting if we are going to be that bothered about 15 minutes.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    It's the Friday in the UK thread. When I was living in Colombia I tried to make the case for it being okay if it was Friday where you currently were, but got shot down in flames.

People don't seem so bothered about any old random date on display though. To my mind the photograph should be taken on the Friday of posting if we are going to be that bothered about 15 minutes.
    thats a very good point.

the worlds going to hell in a hand cart and to make it worse someone started a Friday thread early.

Blog Entries
    Anyone who says they don't care what others think of them is a liar, we all moderate ourselves in daily life. Why that shouldn't continue online, I don't know.

Well at least you know.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Where does that come from? This isn't the bear pit. This is meant to be about watch talk

I wasn't calling you anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Well at least you know.
    I'm one of the few who doesn't have an issue with you, pipe down.

I opened this thread thinking it was someone starting the Friday thread really early:)