closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Would you approach suspected drunk driver?

Would you approach suspected drunk driver?

While doing the shopping for my mum the other night a guy in front of me at the till was acting like he had a few beers, bit loud, getting things wrong and taking his time, looked like he was in his 50's and just came off a building job, with pubs shut I didnt think too much of it.

That was until I went out to my car and he was getting in his white pickup, as he pulled the door open he smacked the corner of the door into his forehead, looked a bit bemused and got in, this really made me think he wasn't coherent.

Now, I thought about calling the police but by the time I would get though to a call handler he would have drove off, probabley parked at home and the police would have no case. I wanted to approach him and ask if has been drinking and should he be driving but that could have led to a fight on a dark wet night..

Looking back I'm not sure if I should have just confronted the guy and done my bit for society - what would you have done?
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 14th November 2020 at 12:55.

Would you approach suspected drunk driver?

I think that’s a very difficult and entirely personal call. I do think you should consider your own safety first, and if you want to act, call the police.

Always consider someone you don’t know as being armed and violent. Then decide if you want to tackle them?

You should never underestimate people that way you don’t put yourself in harms way and get into very deep water.

Some might feel this is a tad paranoid, but it’’s just common sense; for example, even someone much smaller, (and apparently weaker) can pull a knife and boom, the entire scenario changes.

A person that drunk is a danger to themselves and others, let the police deal with it IMO.
    Last edited by D3ckard; 14th November 2020 at 11:34.

Master
    No point, really. I don't think you'd have stopped the guy driving his vehicle even if he didn't become aggressive.

It’s a difficult call for sure and I’d respect any decision you or anyone else made in that scenario. In all seriousness though I’d have approached him like this:

”Alright mate? Had a few beers? If you fancy leaving the van here and picking it up in the morning I can give you a lift home / to train station / bus stop etc”

If he refuses then it’s 999 time.

Couple of years ago whilst waiting outside the local Sainsbury’s my business partner and watched the local druggy run out armed with bags of stuff closely followed by a member of staff. He was gone like a shot and by the time we realised what was going on he was well gone.
    As we drove to work we saw him casually walking back to his house, my mate recognised him as his in-laws lived close by so we drove past him, parked up and waited where we thought he was heading. As he came in to sight we got out making out we were looking for a house, with my mate behind and me in front we collared the twat and wrestled his bag of loot from him. Looking back it was probably a silly thing to do but the overwhelming feeling of not letting someone get away with something like that flushed over us. I think with any circumstances such as this or the Ops you make the decision very quickly and if you’ve not done anything and have to think about it you probably won’t.

Imagine how you would feel if you did nothing and a few minutes later he plowed into a family walking on the pavement killing/maiming kids, mum and dad ?

Blog Entries
    I have called the police on a couple of occasions for something similar. One was on a friday night about 10pm when I had followed a car weaving onto the wrong side of the road. When we reached a roundabout to join the A1 it went the wrong way around the roundabout , and when I tried to stop him by putting my car in front of him (he was going quite slowly) drove around me and then drove off along the A1. It was an older chap and I wasn't sure if he was drunk or just confused but either way I called the police and told them what had happened and which way he was headed. They said I did the right thing and would be sending a car to try and intercept him. Whatever the reason he was a danger to not only himself but other road users, so I don't feel at all guilty about calling the police.
    As for confronting a drink driver, there's no way I would do that nowadays, at over 60 the idea of grappling with some drunken idiot doesn't appeal as much as it might have in younger days. You could quite easily end up getting hurt or worse. Unless you are very confident in open handed defensive skills much better to simply call the police.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Yes I would and have. Without hesitation.

Grand Master
    I have and I would always
    RIAC

SydR
    As number of years ago a local sales rep turned up in my workplace obviously worst for wear.

I refused to discuss business with them and, instead, asked how they got there. They told me that they had driven. I then suggested they leave and make their way home but, before doing so, leave their car key with me for safekeeping and get public transport.

They were initially reluctant to do so but changed their mind when I said, if they chose to drive, I would be left with no option but to inform the police and, likely, their employer too.

They handed the key over and left quietly.

The following day they appeared, rather sheepishly, at the door to collect the key and the topic was never discussed again.

You should report them! You may save someone's life as well as theirs.

It was a spur of the moment thing and I could sense it would have turned nasty had I confronted him, normally I’m first to approach something like this especially as I was crashed into by a DUI years ago totaling my car and his van..

I know someone who approached a drink driver and said he was off duty police, the driver bricked his pants and started crying saying he would lose his job and family!!

I have phoned the police when I know someone's driving over the limit. I've also taken keys off a regular at the local (more than once, same guy).
    I wasn't there but in the OP's case I don't think I would but it depends where the guy was on the 'might had had a beer' to 'obvious he's plastered' spectrum. Apart from anything else I once had a Land Rover Disco and there was something about the way I got into it that meant that for the first few months I'd whack my head on the door frame 50% of the time. Hopefully nobody thought I was drink-driving, just clumsy.

Confrontation isn't for all so an easy option is whip out the phone and take video evidence. Whether the police can act quick enough to catch is another matter entirely.

Sure, I saw someone stagger out the pub and into his car last summer, around 8pm. I knocked on his window, he said he was just sitting there while he called a cab. Five minutes later his lights were on, I wandered over and told him he wasn't going anywhere. He got out and ended up sitting with me and my father-in-law for a couple of hours, telling us by this time any other night he'd already have punched our lights out but appreciated we'd done the right thing in stopping him. He was absolutely slaughtered. I had the pub call him a taxi but have no idea if he made it or tried to drive home. They'd been merrily feeding him beer, the barman acknowledged he knew he was too drunk, but no one there tried to stop him.
    "A man of little significance"

Took the keys out of the ignition of one guy's car and also reported a drunk woman whom I followed and sure enough the police caught up with her within a few minutes. When they stopped her she was blind drunk and this was mid-afternoon.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    I have phoned the police when I know someone's driving over the limit. I've also taken keys off a regular at the local (more than once, same guy).
    I wasn't there but in the OP's case I don't think I would but it depends where the guy was on the 'might had had a beer' to 'obvious he's plastered' spectrum. Apart from anything else I once had a Land Rover Disco and there was something about the way I got into it that meant that for the first few months I'd whack my head on the door frame 50% of the time. Hopefully nobody thought I was drink-driving, just clumsy.
    That’s the thing, I wasn’t sure 100% especially as pubs are shut, he could have taken my approach as a busy body do gooder and kicked off.

Good to hear the mixed opinions though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Imagine how you would feel if you did nothing and a few minutes later he plowed into a family walking on the pavement killing/maiming kids, mum and dad ?
    What exactly was the point of your post, to guilt trip the OP?

I personally wouldn’t have approached but would have noted the registration and reported him to the police.

Me and a friend where coming back from the monsters of rock concert at Donnington years ago in the early hours when a car passed us almost hitting us and then side swiped a few parked cars before coming to a stop.

We stopped and went to see what was going on and it was obvious he was blind drunk and he started to get nasty when we pointed out what he had done and he attacked us, I got head butted in the face and my mate kicked, we did our best to restrain him and the police where called.

When they arrived we told them what had happened and the police sergeant said he would take it from here, he put the guy in the back of the police car with him and the drunk then head butted the officer, bugger, I often wonder if the cop smacked him afterwards :)

While we restrained him one minute he would be in tears and the next fighting like a wild man, tough bugger and I would not have been able to restrain him on my own, in fact I think he would have pasted me.

It went to court obviously and it wasent the drunks first offence and the drunk also had to pay me for my injuries of something like £30, I think in total I received something like £1.50 from him :)

Would I do something if it happened again ? yes but more than likely pictures and a quick phone call to the police.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    What exactly was the point of your post, to guilt trip the OP?

I personally wouldn’t have approached but would have noted the registration and reported him to the police.
    and thats what I would have done but I wouldent have done nothing.

and thats what I would have done but I wouldent have done nothing.
    I suppose I got the title of the post slightly wrong in that it assumes he was drunk, had I been sure he was pissed then I would have made more of it for sure, it was more of a scenario that could have been taken as offensive and turned nasty if he was just a bit that way!

Good to read you tackled that guy on the way back from Monsters of Rock, what year was that?

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I suppose I got the title of the post slightly wrong in that it assumes he was drunk, had I been sure he was pissed then I would have made more of it for sure, it was more of a scenario that could have been taken as offensive and turned nasty if he was just a bit that way!

Good to read you tackled that guy on the way back from Monsters of Rock, what year was that?
    Can't remember now but must of been early 90s, the show was good.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    That's exactly what I would have done, also. I'm not brave enough to have confronted the driver, given the description of the circumstances, but equally I couldn't do nothing.

Made the papers for taking down a drink driver fleeing the scene of a crash.

My friend had a minor accident and the other driver stopped and immediately fell out of their car, suspecting the driver was drunk was about to phone the police when he explained that his false leg had fallen off while driving and caused the accident.

I think it’s worth noting that you often get a feeling about someone, that “gut instinct” should always be trusted!

You suggested you thought it would escalate if you approached him, you’re probably right.

It’s unlikely someone stupid enough to do what he was doing is going to be reasoned with or measured in their response to you.

I’m also suggesting that you should always keep yourself safe first, I try and keep my family in the back of my head along with “what if..”.

There is no shame in being safe and avoiding a potential conflict.

I know very ‘capable’ people who have “stepped in” who were left permanently damaged by the outcome because a seemingly harmless event turned sour.

Trust your gut.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    It’s a difficult call for sure and I’d respect any decision you or anyone else made in that scenario. In all seriousness though I’d have approached him like this:

”Alright mate? Had a few beers? If you fancy leaving the van here and picking it up in the morning I can give you a lift home / to train station / bus stop etc”

If he refuses then it’s 999 time.
    Great answer, and the approach I'd hope to think of. Unfortunately my immediate reaction was that I would challenge in a confrontational manner which would likely not end well (me on the ground and him driving off!)

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    That’s the thing, I wasn’t sure 100% especially as pubs are shut, he could have taken my approach as a busy body do gooder and kicked off.

Good to hear the mixed opinions though.
    Then you just phone the police, give them the info and leave it to them. If they catch up with him he is either under or over the limit. If under - that’s the end of it.

999 give the registration

That’s all you need to do with your suspicions

You can do little more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Made the papers for taking down a drink driver fleeing the scene of a crash.
    You cant leave it there.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    My friend had a minor accident and the other driver stopped and immediately fell out of their car, suspecting the driver was drunk was about to phone the police when he explained that his false leg had fallen off while driving and caused the accident.
    I have a good friend who has a false leg, he was forever falling over in pubs - not because of the alcohol, I lost count of the times someone would inadvertently stand on his foot and he’d lose balance and take a tumble. That would be swiftly followed by ‘get out you’ve had enough’ from the landlord, then a demonstration/proof of the false leg. Funny thing was, he’d walk into the pub and you’d never know he’d lost his leg mid-thigh, he was a very tall stocky guy and you’d never know unless he told you. He spent a fair bit of time at various hospitals analysing his gait and quite how he walked so well - but a crowded pub was his Kryptonite!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I have a good friend who has a false leg, he was forever falling over in pubs - not because of the alcohol, I lost count of the times someone would inadvertently stand on his foot and he’d lose balance and take a tumble. That would be swiftly followed by ‘get out you’ve had enough’ from the landlord, then a demonstration/proof of the false leg. Funny thing was, he’d walk into the pub and you’d never know he’d lost his leg mid-thigh, he was a very tall stocky guy and you’d never know unless he told you. He spent a fair bit of time at various hospitals analysing his gait and quite how he walked so well - but a crowded pub was his Kryptonite!

There's a wonderful story about Reg Gutteridge, the late boxing commentator who had lost a leg on D-day at Normandy.

At sporting dinner Reg became a bit fed up with Muhammed Ali, who was sat alongside him and who was in full flow about how he was the best and prettiest fighter ever. So Reg chipped in with "Muhammed, you think you're such a tough guy, don't you? Well, I'll show you what tough is..." Whereupon he picked up a steak knife and violently stabbed himself in the leg, watched by the disbelieving Ali, who had no idea that Reg had a false leg and was reduced to a stunned silence. "Now you do that." said Reg.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I’d ascertain that they had been drinking. I have family and friends that have either suffered a stroke, or have MS, and to a casual observer a few of them appear to be drunk, slur words and move in a way that would correspond with one or two too many rather than any apparent ailment or loss of ability.

Then I’d suggest that maybe they should be driving, or call the local police to advise.
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman
    I would have just called the cops and given location and license plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post

Then I’d suggest that maybe they should be driving, or call the local police to advise.
    Should or shouldn't ?

Master
    1) Definitely would (and have) report the make, model and number plate of anyone suspected of being drunk and in charge.
    2) Confront them? Not a chance, I'm not experienced with handling drunks, I have no official mandate to handle drunks and I'm certainly not insured if handling said drunk opens me up to any legal proceedings. Just not worth it. I pay taxes so trained specialists can handle these idiots.

In the past 'having a go' was part of the landscape, as was 'clipping the neighbors kid round the ears' when they did something that effected you adversely. Nowadays you are likely to either get stabbed or face a lifetime of garnished wages due to the trauma you inflicted on little Timmy. It's a sad state but it is what it is as the 'yoot' are fond of saying.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    You should report them! You may save someone's life as well as theirs.
    Agree with this. I would call 101 and report them.

Quote Originally Posted by Captaincook View Post
    Agree with this. I would call 101 and report them.
    I would suggest 999 rather than 101.

101 is for non-urgent issues, and if somebody is (possibly) driving drunk, you need them to be taken off the roads immediately. It's a potentially life-threatening situation.

Master

"If" is not really justification enough to put yourself at risk . You may be surprised by how quickly any confrontation can get out of hand. The worst ones I've been involved in usually are the unanticipated ones.

Better to call the police and pass along his registration number.

Master
    Not worth a confrontation, better to call the police and pass along his registration number and direction of travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    "If" is not really justification enough to put yourself at risk . You may be surprised by how quickly any confrontation can get out of hand. The worst ones I've been involved in usually are the unanticipated ones.

Better to call the police and pass along his registration number.
    I was in uniform and still on duty when I confronted the drunk but now I would just call the police and take photos/film.

just phone the police incase they turn on you, wouldnt want to be in hospital right now.

i hate drunk drivers, my grandfarther survived the Korean war as a Sniper hunting other Snipers and then some b@@@@@d drunk runs him over as he was walking home one night.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    There's a wonderful story about Reg Gutteridge, the late boxing commentator who had lost a leg on D-day at Normandy.

At sporting dinner Reg became a bit fed up with Muhammed Ali, who was sat alongside him and who was in full flow about how he was the best and prettiest fighter ever. So Reg chipped in with "Muhammed, you think you're such a tough guy, don't you? Well, I'll show you what tough is..." Whereupon he picked up a steak knife and violently stabbed himself in the leg, watched by the disbelieving Ali, who had no idea that Reg had a false leg and was reduced to a stunned silence. "Now you do that." said Reg.

R
    Great story. It obviously worked, because according to Wiki: 'Gutteridge and Ali became friends, and when he was ill in a London hospital during the 1980s, he woke up to find Ali in prayer at his bedside, as recalled in his 1998 autobiography Uppercuts and Dazes for which Muhammad Ali provided the foreword ...'

Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    Not worth a confrontation, better to call the police and pass along his registration number and direction of travel.
    Yep, you never know what sort of nut case you could be confronting. Lad I went to school with was killed in a pub fight a couple of years ago, confronted a guy who chucked a pint over his Mrs who was a barmaid, got stabbed 40 odd times by a nutter with a stanley knife

Or how your family would feel if he was high on something and pulled a knife and stabbed you?

The only cases I can recall like you mention were old people passing out or having a heart attack at the wheel (happened twice near us in recent memory), pretty sure no-one thought of approaching them and saying "Aren't you a bit old to be driving?"

Probably best to call the police, report someone driving who seemed disorientated and possibly drunk and give them the number plate and direction of traffic.

Chances are, drunk or not, he got home just fine, not worth your life for something like that.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?