closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Breitling to switch to eco-friendly watch boxes in 2021

Journeyman

Breitling to switch to eco-friendly watch boxes in 2021

Hey All,

Looks like Breitling are changing their watch packaging to something more environmentally-friendly:

https://www.breitling.com/gb-en/sust...ity/packaging/

I must admit, I'd be a bit miffed to buy a new Breitling and have it turn up in that box. I know that the packaging doesn't matter so much, since it goes into a cupboard or under the bed eventually, but the experience of opening a luxury box to reveal your new timepiece is a big part of getting a new watch for me at least!

Good to see a luxury watchmaker take the initiative though, I just don't know if the execution is as good as it could be...

Craftsman
    I agree that watch boxes just get stowed away. However I can’t really see anyone making practical use of a watch box, if the condition of the box has some value tied up in it on resale.

Smaller is better though - case in point is the Longines boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I’d rather have that than the ridiculous treasure trove my Speedy came in.

Quote Originally Posted by sav_uk View Post
    I know that the packaging doesn't matter so much, since it goes into a cupboard or under the bed eventually
    For those of us on watch forums, perhaps, but I'd guess that the majority of normal people just throw it in the bid, like any other packaging.

It’s a good idea
    The large pointless boxes most watches come in are a pain to store, I have 2 boxes full of pointless boxes in the garage.
    I do however like a good service pouch as they are handy. Sunglasses, cables when traveling, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sav_uk View Post
    I know that the packaging doesn't matter so much, since it goes into a cupboard or under the bed eventually...
    Eventually they end up in landfill so it's a strong move by Breitling. Hope other brands follow suit sooner rather than later. Luxury doesn't have to mean wasteful.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I actually like it. Not too big.
    I like the IWC travel / service boxes too.

Master
    Personally I think its great. There has been a trend recently for absolutely ludicrously oversized boxes, including massive wooden things that weigh a ton, even for quite modestly priced watches - let alone the luxury end. All utterly superfluous and a nuisance if you want to keep it.

I only keep the watch box because of the value of a complete set so this would be a benefit to me.

Great idea.
    A watch box has zero importance for me nor does it have anything to do with the satisfaction from a new purchase

Master
    Apparently anyone who wants the previous 'classic' box can opt out of the new option and have it.

See eg

https://www.watchpro.com/breitling-t...es-and-papers/

and the Breitling-connected WatchFred's posts @

https://breitlingsource.com/phpBB2/v...p?f=13&t=66971
    &
    https://breitlingsource.com/phpBB2/v...hp?f=1&t=67609

Master
    Boxes and papers are the daftest obsession in the watch hobby. The sooner boxes and papers become bio degradable the better. Buy the watch, not the junk that comes with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Apparently anyone who wants the previous 'classic' box can opt out of the new option and have it.

See eg

https://www.watchpro.com/breitling-t...es-and-papers/

and the Breitling-connected WatchFred's posts @

https://breitlingsource.com/phpBB2/v...p?f=13&t=66971
    &
    https://breitlingsource.com/phpBB2/v...hp?f=1&t=67609
    No doubt the full full set will fetch a premium on re-sale.

Master
    I disagree and I feel a nice box is very much part of the enjoyment.

I remember buying my first luxury watch (a Breilting Chrono SuperOcean) before I knew about forums etc, and I really enjoyed setting all the booklets and certificates out, reading and feeling them all (back then, Breitling warranty books were very tactile). I really felt that I’d bought something ‘extra special’. Even now, many years on, I sometimes get them out just to relive that feeling, which I still have. Once every couple of years; not often, but I still like to see them.

For the folk here who buy and flip watches, I suspect they’ve lost this original joy and wonder and hence don’t care for boxes.

I suspect that the vast majority of folk who buy one ‘nice’ watch in their lifetimes would expect a very nice box, and would be very disappointed not to get one.

And yes, Rolex boxes are really disappointing compared to most of the others.

Master
    Yeah, reading all the certificates & booklets etc might be fun for 10 minutes, but that doesn't justify a box that's the size of an A4 sheet of paper and 6" high!

Watch boxes have become absolutely absurd recently, but this feels about as genuine an environmental concern as the meretricious tosh one reads in hotel bathrooms about saving the planet by reducing the hotelier’s laundry bill. Still, if you can dress-up cost-cutting as virtue-signalling, ride that zeitgeist.

Journeyman
    I was thinking that with the price of Breitling watches, they could have done something with cork which is sustainable and renewable.

I think a nice cork box lined with natural materials would have been a more premium approach. Their current approach seems more like a cost-cutting exercise to me.

But will they still pack a charger in the box?! (one for the Apple fans)

Joking aside, I like the idea of a more compact box that's less wasteful, but I think the execution is poor here. The box they are proposing looks tacky, as much a cost cutting exercise as an environmental one I bet.

I also don't like the idea that you can choose to have the old box. That puts people in a weird position on resale as someone else alluded to above. They should create a compact box that's high quality and that's the one everyone should get in my opinion.

Craftsman
    I think more brands need to be more environmentally aware with their packaging. As others have said I feel that omega are seriously guilty of not doing this with their suitcase sized boxes.

Sustainable packaging doesn't have to mean bad or ugly packaging. There are plenty of natural materials that could be used. I personally find this breitling packaging ugly but still think the concept is a good one.

Master
    Have the digital warranty cards with the LCD screen gone then?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Boxes and papers are the daftest obsession in the watch hobby. The sooner boxes and papers become bio degradable the better. Buy the watch, not the junk that comes with it.
    So I take it, you'd be happy to walk out of a Rolex AD with your thousands of £'s Rolex in a Jiffy bag then?

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    So I take it, you'd be happy to walk out of a Rolex AD with your thousands of £'s Rolex in a Jiffy bag then?

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app
    I think most do - to avoid the obvious attention. Last Rolex (box) I bought went into a Sainsbury’s carrier bag, of course it was the recyclable type. (The watch went on my wrist)

ON topic: good to see Breitling leading the way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    not sure. I know some folks have bought a Brietling recently so perhaps they can say. The last one I bough in Dec 2019 had one. Looks like there is still a warranty card is there but now they use some bitcoin (forget the term) based approach for ownership / warranty.

M

Great idea. Yesterday I shipped my Panerai to the UK, and more than 90% of the weight was the big, heavy box (almost 2 kg in total). If I'd have sent only the watch as such in a small and light box, it would have costed me a fraction of what I had to pay.

Keep it light, keep it simple, it's the watch I care about.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post

Why not?? I want to wear the damn thing, not admire the box!!!

Craftsman
    It’s great to see Breitling thinking about this, but wrong as it may be, I like the showmanship of a stupidly luxurious box. I think if I paid five grand for a Breitling and it came in denim dan’s wallet I’d be pretty unimpressed. They could do a lot better and continue to be sustainable. If others follow suit, it won’t be difficult to beat this design.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Zook View Post
    I think more brands need to be more environmentally aware with their packaging. As others have said I feel that omega are seriously guilty of not doing this with their suitcase sized boxes.

Sustainable packaging doesn't have to mean bad or ugly packaging. There are plenty of natural materials that could be used. I personally find this breitling packaging ugly but still think the concept is a good one.

I know you’re completely right, but I love the drama and pomp of those ridiculous Omega boxes. They’re absolutely superb.

I also agree that the obsession with box and papers is a little ridiculous, but there’s just something about a lovely box. Omega do that really well of late - those big wooden movies? They’re awesome, if totally impractical to send in the post!

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Hopefully...they were utterly dreadful. Touch the screen and the e-ink corrupted the whole screen. I once took mine back to Brielting to get it reflashed and when it came back it was already messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    No doubt the full full set will fetch a premium on re-sale.
    Yes but you'll have paid for it in the first place. If you want the current style of box you'll be "invited to make a donation to offset the carbon emissions."
    God knows who to or how much, but I'll take the biodegradable one please.

Journeyman
    I can get behind this, while the unboxing with a nice wood/leather box is nice, the box spends 99% of the time stowed away.

Hope other companies follow on and come up with creative presentations

Master
    I absolutely love it. It is really nice to see that brands have started thinking about it.
    Luxury items or not we all have a role to play and this move really outlines Breitling intentions.
    Well done