closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Does anyone use Redex in there car these days ?

Does anyone use Redex in there car these days ?

I perhaps put a shot in my fuel tank every month or so especially when the likes of Tesco have the two shot bottles on offer (£2).

Is it worth using ? does it do anything for your engine ?

Master
    When I was a transport manager, we ran a test on identical vehicles doing similar jobs. The ones with the Redex additive were always much "cleaner" in the combustion chambers (less coking). There was also a slight improvement in fuel economy (no doubt due to the cleaner engine). Do I still use Redex? Yes, when I remember (particularly before MOT time).

Don't the detergents in modern fuels (especially the higher end ones, like Shell V-Power) do the same job these days?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I use the diesel Redex in my E Class every few tanks (again, when it's £2 from Tesco) as it's done 110,000 miles now.

Not sure I've noticed any improvement in economy, but it can't do any harm, and it always seems to fly through the emissions test on the MOT.

Master
    Haven't seen the for years but now look when paying for my fuel in Tesco, I have used a Millers additive in past years in various diesels.
    I liked to add a little Castrol R oil to the fuel tank when my mate changed the oil in his race kart, smelt wonderful.

Master
    Snake oil👎

Apprentice
    I still have some of the old red stuff, I use it occasionally in my bike it has not cat. I thought it was bad for catalytic converters?

I use Redex as a dashpot lubricant for the pistons in my SU carbs. If/when some does escape it will do its business as it passes through the combustion process.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Don't the detergents in modern fuels (especially the higher end ones, like Shell V-Power) do the same job these days?
    Exactly! Shell fuels are amazing at keeping engines clean. Redex is a relic.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

This is how I remember it , from the school-days weekend job " pumping gas" in Bourton on the Water http://mattsautomobilia.co.uk/produc...can-redex-4524

£120 ??? Blimey

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Exactly! Shell fuels are amazing at keeping engines clean. Redex is a relic.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
    Nearest Shell station 25 mile round trip for me and most expensive fuel around, circa 8p a litre across all grades.

Of course an "Italian tune up" is cheap too.

Master
    Does anyone remember the Redex engine clean!

Cue , start engine and remove air cleaner
    Get mate to rev engine
    Pour Redex down carburettor
    Wait about a minute.........engine splutters a bit
    Observe white smoke! Easily equivalent to introducing a new Pope.
    Pop air filter back on and convince yourself you gave cleaned the carb!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Does anyone remember the Redex engine clean!

Cue , start engine and remove air cleaner
    Get mate to rev engine
    Pour Redex down carburettor
    Wait about a minute.........engine splutters a bit
    Observe white smoke! Easily equivalent to introducing a new Pope.
    Pop air filter back on and convince yourself you gave cleaned the carb!
    I seem to remember actually pouring some down the spark plug holes in my MR2 about 30 years ago. I took it on the A38 and put my foot down a bit, and was mortified to see the rear view obscured by thick clouds of opaque white smoke. Whether it did the engine any good or not I have no idea, but it didn't seem to do any harm.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I seem to remember actually pouring some down the spark plug holes in my MR2 about 30 years ago. I took it on the A38 and put my foot down a bit, and was mortified to see the rear view obscured by thick clouds of opaque white smoke. Whether it did the engine any good or not I have no idea, but it didn't seem to do any harm.
    My dad did much the same in the 60s with an Austin A40. Used to smoke out the whole road for a while. Not too good for the lungs but gave the engine a cheap decoke.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Snake oil
    Not so! I have brushed Redex on the combustion chamber of a removed cylinder head and left it overnight. The following day, the carbon on the head could be brushed away using a paint brush and petrol. The others were as hard as he**! It definitely clears the carbon deposits. In an old, worn engine, that is not always a good thing as it then ecourages oil burning and loss down the bores. On an engine in good condition, it is worthwhile. As an ex transport manager I have seen the evidence. Asda often have it on "Rollback" price at £2-4 a bottle (use 1/2 a bottle per tankful) so it is not expensive.

I tend to use V-power petrol, or the Tesco 99ron if needs be.
    I still occasionally drop some Redex in, and have done for all my cars since buying my first in 1998.

Improve - no idea.
    Any harm - none I am aware of.

Always drove slightly older quicker cars in general, but also a few 4x4s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    Not so! I have brushed Redex on the combustion chamber of a removed cylinder head and left it overnight. The following day, the carbon on the head could be brushed away using a paint brush and petrol. The others were as hard as he**! It definitely clears the carbon deposits. In an old, worn engine, that is not always a good thing as it then ecourages oil burning and loss down the bores. On an engine in good condition, it is worthwhile. As an ex transport manager I have seen the evidence. Asda often have it on "Rollback" price at £2-4 a bottle (use 1/2 a bottle per tankful) so it is not expensive.
    Agree with Enoch. It's mostly voodoo.
    Sure, you can soak carbon deposits in almost anything and they'll soften.
    In the olden days when we de-coked, I'd leave heads to soak in diesel or parraffin overnight...worked a treat.
    Used acetone for carbs.
    A few cc's of Rexex/Wynns/Millers isn't going to do anything measureable.

Years ago a neighbor of mine when he was doing an oil change would drain the oil from the system and then put a gallon of diesel in the oil filler and turn the the engine over with the starting handle (told you years ago) and leave to stand for a while before draining it and topping up with the new oil.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Years ago a neighbor of mine when he was doing an oil change would drain the oil from the system and then put a gallon of diesel in the oil filler and turn the the engine over with the starting handle (told you years ago) and leave to stand for a while before draining it and topping up with the new oil.
    My father used to do similar, he'd put a few gallons in and start the engine. (Landrover diesels are BMC 2.2 diesels) Would run it for about 20-30 seconds and then drain it overnight. The crap that got flushed was incredible.
    Was never sure if it was good for the journals though!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    My Dad done the same on his Austin 7. Turn it over and leave to drain for 24 hrs. Worked a treat he’d say.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I saw a Redex thing on 5th Gear years ago, they were positive about it.

I drive the same route every day using cruise and I noticed a surprising difference after using it on a Diesel SAAB.

I think it does something, probably just cleans the injectors a bit.

Some audiophiles used to advocate sticking CDs into the freezer to improve their sound.

Some people believe anything they're told or read ... and swear blind such tweaks work.

Much of it is 'in the mind' ... the placebo effect.

But if it makes you feel good ...

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

One of our cars was having problems idling, and kept cutting out at low revs; couldn't get to the bottom of it.
    Took it to 2 different garages, they both said the throttle body needed changing. At a cost of £820 for the part alone on a 20 year old car, I thought "sod this", and started looking in the Auto Trader for a replacement vehicle.
    Then I came across Redex. One shot in a full tank of petrol, and problem solved. It's been fine ever since, and that was 3 months (and around 500 miles) ago.
    Spending £4 a month on Redex when I fill up is worth it in my opinion to keep things going.

I used to put it neat into the carburettor 😁 clouds of smoke! but by heck the car ran nicely!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I used to put it neat into the carburettor  clouds of smoke! but by heck the car ran nicely!
    As a teenager with a Mk1 Cortina, I had the idea that the stuff would be better injected at high revs/engine under load so I hooked up a windscreen washer pump to a can of Redex and a switch so I could pump it into the air intake whilst blasting down the A12 at 60mph. "Q" would have been impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    As a teenager with a Mk1 Cortina, I had the idea that the stuff would be better injected at high revs/engine under load so I hooked up a windscreen washer pump to a can of Redex and a switch so I could pump it into the air intake whilst blasting down the A12 at 60mph. "Q" would have been impressed.
    😂 Bet you were popular on the A12!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    Sounds like a scene from Top Gear !

Master
    Isn't redex mostly diesel, which is a good cleaner/solvent.

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Some audiophiles used to advocate sticking CDs into the freezer to improve their sound.

Some people believe anything they're told or read ... and swear blind such tweaks work.

Much of it is 'in the mind' ... the placebo effect.

But if it makes you feel good ...

dunk
    So, if it doesn't work then they are breaking retail laws right? Something sold in the UK must do what it says it will do, no?
    Personally, I don't use it, but if I did, I'd expect a result.
    What I have done, a few years ago was add a bit of acetone in the diesel tank. Seemed to help with the mileage. Probably ruined other parts but never had any problems.