closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Some vintage Oceanus watches.

Some vintage Oceanus watches.

I picked up a couple of older Oceanus watches recently and I have decided to do a review as they are rarely, if ever, seen on here. The watches have quite a few similarities and share the same functionality.

Here is the the Oceanus OCW-650WCJ-1AJR. It is a full set and was issued in 2006 for the FIFA World Cup in Germany that year. I am fond of the FIFA watches and I am glad to have acquired this one.

The watch is brushed along its top surfaces but is highly polished along the sides. the bracelet is also brushed but with the edges of both the inner and outer links polished. The caseback has three finishes, matt blasted, brushed and polished.
    So a fair amount of effort has gone into the finishing of the watch, something which is a feature of the Oceanus line.

Black buttons one with the Oceanus logo, matches well with the black IP bezel.

It is solar and atomic and has a 24 hour stopwatch, world time, alarm, power save and low battery indicator. It has a sapphire crystal. Also, it is that unusual thing for an Oceanus, it is 200m WR and is a diver’s watch.

Now it has been said that the OCW-P2000 is the first Oceanus diver, but plainly it isn’t, the OCW-650 must be.
    The thing is a numbered limited edition though and only one thousand were made and they are not seen very often. I have a feeling they were never sold in the West.

The uni-directional bezel rotates very easily and smoothly, could probably do with being a bit tighter to rotate as you can move it accidentally some times.

The watch is well made, the bracelet is a ‘pins and collars’ one, which I prefer as it is the most secure system. The watch is in very good condition overall, not bad at all for a near fifteen year old watch.

Some wrist shots.

I will post about the other one soon.

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch; 28th October 2020 at 15:10.

Blog Entries
    I do like a lot of those Oceanus models, they are very well finished and the angled lugs remind me a bit of my Seiko Shogun. You don't see very many about on the forum though.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    I do like a lot of those Oceanus models, they are very well finished and the angled lugs remind me a bit of my Seiko Shogun. You don't see very many about on the forum though.

They indeed don't appear here very often and as you say they are well finished watches. That doesn't seem to generate much interest though, strange, since this is a watch forum and you would have thought that stuff like this would generate a bit of interest, over threads saying how they saw a 'doggy' in the window for sale.

Anyway here is the other one I bought at the same time from Japan.

It is the Oceanus OCW-600TDBJ-1AJF.

This 600T is a little bit smaller than the 650T at 43.2 mm wide and 46.2 mm to the lugs as against 43.6 and 47.3. It is also a bit slimmer at 11.7 mm as against 13.0 mm. This probably accounts for the fact it is 100m WR as against 200m for the 650T.

The functions are the same as they share the same module. It is solar and atomic and has a 24 hour stopwatch, world time, alarm, power save and low battery indicator. It has a sapphire crystal.

The watch is in overall excellent condition, no significant marks at all, apart from one, it had a scratch on the sapphire crystal! This is the first watch I have ever had with such a noticeable mark on its sapphire crystal.

You can see the mark just above and to the left of the 6 o'clock dial.

This kind of triggered my OCD every time I wore the watch as I couldn't stop myself always looking for it when I checked the time.

So, after living with it for some time, I decided it had to go and after some time with diamond paste I removed the mark and now it looks perfectly fine and I can wear it without any frustration.

Here are some wrist shots.

So I really like this 'reverse panda' dial and it has the traditional Oceanus blue hands, something the 650WC didn't have.

Can't make my mind up which one I prefer, they both have certain things going for them.

Any thoughts out there?

Mitch

I like them, and think the Oceanus is one of the better "one watch to buy and be done" pieces. Waterproof enough. High quality enough. Accurate enough. Fine for any situation or activity.

If you bought the Fifa one recently on Yahoo Auctions, I had that on my watch list. The older Oceanus are available for very good prices now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    I like them, and think the Oceanus is one of the better "one watch to buy and be done" pieces. Waterproof enough. High quality enough. Accurate enough. Fine for any situation or activity.

If you bought the Fifa one recently on Yahoo Auctions, I had that on my watch list. The older Oceanus are available for very good prices now.

I did indeed buy the watch from Japan, it was a steal really, he put a 'buy it now' price of 50,000 Yen on it but I got it at a fraction of that price as the auction seemed to fly under the
    radar for some reason.

Mitch

Craftsman
    How's the bracelet? I owned an Oceanus OCW S100 for a while, and while it was a very good watch in most respects the integrated bracelet pinched my arm hairs like mad!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    I have an S100 - for me it is the perfect quartz holiday watch - tough enough for messing around and smart enough for dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    I have an S100 - for me it is the perfect quartz holiday watch - tough enough for messing around and smart enough for dinner.
    Snap. They are lovely watches and very versatile. It's my only titanium watch. Not vintage though.

Quote Originally Posted by JimSclavunos View Post
    How's the bracelet? I owned an Oceanus OCW S100 for a while, and while it was a very good watch in most respects the integrated bracelet pinched my arm hairs like mad!

The bracelets are perfectly fine on both watches, they are very similar H pattern light titanium bracelets and are comfortable and not hair pullers. They are of course not integrated to the case.

Mitch

Master
    Nice watches - thanks for the pictures and write up.. A friend has one of the recent Oceanus 3 handers and I was impressed with it, thought the dial, indices and case work were pretty good.. It seemed a bit complicated to control or set but it did look good..